Pink Floyd Returns!!! (TOMORROW)

Ozzkev55

CAGiversary!
[quote name='AOLNEWS']Live 8 organizer Bob Geldof apparently couldn't get the Spice Girls back together, but he did pull off the long-rumored reunion of Pink Floyd. The band's classic lineup will perform together on July 2 at the Live 8 concert in London, marking the quartet's first live show together in 24 years.

The reunited Pink Floyd will join a lineup at London's Hyde Park that includes Mariah Carey, Coldplay, The Cure, Dido, Elton John, The Killers, Annie Lennox, Madonna, Paul McCartney, REM, Scissor Sisters, Snoop Dogg, Sting, Joss Stone, U2, and Velvet Revolver. Simultaneous all-star concerts are planned in Philadelphia, Paris, Berlin, and Rome. A sixth show is scheduled for July 6 in Edinburgh, Scotland, close to the G8 economic conference of world leaders that gives Live 8 its name and purpose: raising concertgoers' consciousness and influencing G8 participants to combat poverty in Africa.

Bassist Roger Waters, who wrote most of Pink Floyd's music and lyrics during the era that saw such classic albums as Dark Side of the Moon (1973) and The Wall (1979), left the band in the mid-80s, then sued the other three members (guitarist-singer Gilmour, keyboardist Richard Wright, and drummer Nick Mason) over their use of the group's name, since they continued to record and tour as Pink Floyd for the next decade.

"Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world," Gilmour said in a statement on Sunday. "Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if reforming for this concert will help focus attention then it's got to be worthwhile."
[/quote]

OMFG!!!

That aside, im a bit jealous that england is blessed with their presence. I would have flown to england, had it been nary a month later. However, aol is apparently going to be screening the london concert so :) :) :) for me.

Anyone else surprised?

Pink Floyd is one of the best shows I've ever seen. There were giant dancing pigs with red laser beam eyes!!!!

[quote name='Ugamer_X']These guys deserve more attention than Mr. Child Molester is getting.[/QUOTE]
Definetly...its a shame that controversy is a magnet to the masses...I was surprised when I saw no thread over a day after this info had been released.

I wish they could have done a solo concert instead, I hate knowing that a monumental band such as this lost stage time on the count of Snoop Dogg

[quote name='CaseyRyback']any chance they are going to show this on TV?

would be pretty cool to see[/QUOTE]
Its not going to be on TV in america live, only on BBC networking. It may change however between now and then

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']:shock: :mrgreen:

Let's hope for a dvd release ... :lol:[/QUOTE]
Lets hope for a stateside tour...let's hope

wow...just wow...i shall play Pigs in honor of learning this tonight.

oh and the lead singer from Scissor Sisters is from my hometown of lexington ky...but screw them Pink Floyd just dominates

I cant wait, i hope we can find a way to stream it to the non-AOL users on CAG, so all may enjoy, and not just me :) :) :)

holy. fucking. shit.

that was about the last thing I expected to read.

hopefully someone will capture it and torrent it immediately after it's over.

Thank god the REAL Pink Floyd that broke up in 1981 is back. Between this, Roger's forthcoming Ira Ca coming out September 27th, and Nick Mason's book released a few months ago it has been a good year to be a Pink Floyd fan in general.

My dream is that they enjoy playing together again so much that they actually record some new material and go out on tour together. Probably too much to hope for.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Its not going to be on TV in america live, only on BBC networking. It may change however between now and then[/QUOTE]
Where dd you get that from?

I haven't seen anything resembling a definitive answer on how they're handling it for television.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Where dd you get that from?

I haven't seen anything resembling a definitive answer on how they're handling it for television.[/QUOTE]
Newsday (my new york paper)
AOL News

Dusting This Sucker Off...because Live 8 will be airing tomorrow on ABC at 8pm EST...Amongst other rockers, rappers, pop artists, and pop artists who try rap songs(you know....Madonna). A quick lineup off the top of my head is

Coldplay
Snoopdogg
Duran Duran
CSNY
Madonna
Pink Floyd
Police(or just sting)

But who really cares about the others...watch it for Pink Floyd, and hope the four songs they picked are one of their lengthier selections....any predections of the possible lineup...?

They'll porbably televise them in USA right? I won't be home to watch it, but I'm taping all 8 hours from MTV and VH1. Speaking of the 2 channels, will they be showing the same stuff or different stuff? I'd really like to see Pink Floyd, Velvet Revolver, and Audioslave.

Without trying to cause a flame war here and respecting that people have other opinions.. I still to this day cannot understand how someone that is not a perpetual drug user can be a fan of Pink Floyd. Their music although "inventive" tends to be terribly unharmonic drivel filled with cliche "inventiveness" and horrendous politically-inspired lyrics. But again, that would all be IMO.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Without trying to cause a flame war here and respecting that people have other opinions.. I still to this day cannot understand how someone that is not a perpetual drug user can be a fan of Pink Floyd. Their music although "inventive" tends to be terribly unharmonic drivel filled with cliche "inventiveness" and horrendous politically-inspired lyrics. But again, that would all be IMO.[/QUOTE]
Its great music, and since I know a bunch of big-time Pink Floyd fans, whom are Drug-free, ill have to say that what attracts people is probably the use of two contrasting vocals, two bass drums, and heavy synth music. The occasional rock solo, makes it soothing, and kickass, at the same time. You cant say you dont like "Money"

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Without trying to cause a flame war here and respecting that people have other opinions.. I still to this day cannot understand how someone that is not a perpetual drug user can be a fan of Pink Floyd. Their music although "inventive" tends to be terribly unharmonic drivel filled with cliche "inventiveness" and horrendous politically-inspired lyrics. But again, that would all be IMO.[/QUOTE]

Agree'd.

I Dont do drugs...but i really like Pink Floyd.
Of course my musical tastes range from the Alladdin Soundtrack to the Lost Highway soundtrack, Tool to Garbage, Smashing Pumpkins to Gorillaz...i just like music

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Agree'd.[/QUOTE]
In addition...

-There lyrics are awesome, and meaningful. Especially with two contrasting voices like that of Roger Waters, and David Gilmour. How can one not find interest in great selections such as this...

[quote name='Shine On You Crazy Diamond']
Remember when you were young,
You shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes,
Like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
You were caught on the crossfire
Of childhood and stardom,
Blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine
[/quote]

-Pink Floyd also is one of the greats at putting together good albums. Each songs seemless transition into the next, without any repitition whatsoever, is remarkable...especially after listening to the oh so reptitive "Get Behind Me Satan".

-Each member of Pink Floyd is of supreme talent, and in particular Roger, and David are two musical geniuses. Who else can keep someone interested in a song for 17 minutes, besides George Gershwin.

-Contrast is really what makes them great, as they pull it off so well, much unlike Metallica' in the "Load" album. They can go from psychedelic masterpeices like "Comfortably Numb", to monumental rock such as "money, and a well known obscurity known as "Another Brick In The Wall".

-They're also British...and the brits completely kick our ass as far as Rock N' Roll is concerned.

bread's done
Back