Pinocchio Blu-Ray - $21.99 at Toys R Us w/ Free Water Bottle

Sgt Barone

CAGiversary!
This is available Tuesday March 10. You get a free 3D water bottle (probably while supplies last), but you can't beat the price. This is the place to go if you want this!

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF is Pinicchio?
Just kidding check your spelling OP.
What are the other deals? One store had the soundtrack and SD DVD attached.

I thought the DVD was supposed to be in the Blu-Ray case too. A separate DVD in it's own case would be nice. I may have to check into this one. My daughter doesn't have it yet.

[quote name='PhotoMan']I thought the DVD was supposed to be in the Blu-Ray case too. A separate DVD in it's own case would be nice. I may have to check into this one. My daughter doesn't have it yet.[/quote]
The Sleeping Beauty I bought for my kid had the DVD in a paper/mini-slipcase.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']WTF is Pinicchio?
Just kidding check your spelling OP.
What are the other deals? One store had the soundtrack and SD DVD attached.[/quote]

wtf? holy crap, i didnt even see that. fuck me :applause:

I'm curious what a 3D water bottle entails. Most likely the picture on it is in 3D?

Alternatively, they could be offering a 2D water bottle. :D

Does getting this movie on blu ray really add to it? I mean I don't understand the putting of such older cartoon classics on blu ray. It seems like it would take away from the experience of the whole thing to me

[quote name='MrDubbs']Does getting this movie on blu ray really add to it? I mean I don't understand the putting of such older cartoon classics on blu ray. It seems like it would take away from the experience of the whole thing to me[/quote]

what the huh??? that makes absolutely no sense what so ever

[quote name='MrDubbs']Does getting this movie on blu ray really add to it? I mean I don't understand the putting of such older cartoon classics on blu ray. It seems like it would take away from the experience of the whole thing to me[/quote]

Sleeping Beauty looked badass on bluray. Plus its animation which has a higher resolution then 1080p.

[quote name='wormraper']what the huh??? that makes absolutely no sense what so ever[/quote]

How does it not make sense?

What I'm saying is, they probably remastered the thing, which I think takes away from the whole movie. I'd rather view a classic in its original form like I did when I was a kid.

[quote name='MrDubbs']How does it not make sense?

What I'm saying is, they probably remastered the thing, which I think takes away from the whole movie. I'd rather view a classic in its original form like I did when I was a kid.[/quote]

It's original form is the original film negative, they actually went back to the original film negatives for this release. hte original home video releases for this were NOT the original form, they are an inferior print of the original (the negative)

[quote name='wormraper']It's original form is the original film negative, they actually went back to the original film negatives for this release. hte original home video releases for this were NOT the original form, they are an inferior print of the original (the negative)[/quote]

The video has been remastered

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...cs,_Adds_Exclusives_to_Pinocchio_Blu-ray/2511

"Disney has outlined final specs for this 70th anniversary remaster, which will receive painstakingly-restored 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 video and a DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 7.1 Surround track."

I understand that the DVD releases that I watched may not be a true "original" but to me they were.

[quote name='MrDubbs']The video has been remastered

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...cs,_Adds_Exclusives_to_Pinocchio_Blu-ray/2511

"Disney has outlined final specs for this 70th anniversary remaster, which will receive painstakingly-restored 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 video and a DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 7.1 Surround track."

I understand that the DVD releases that I watched may not be a true "original" but to me they were.[/quote]

remastering doesn't mean altering. Remastering means going back to the original negatives and rescanning and cleaning away dirt and striking what's called a "master" which is nothing but a higher quality intermediary digital copy that they use to press the discs. A remastering doesn't mean altering the original footage etc... it means creating a new "master copy" that can be used to put on broadcast TV or cable or DVD or Blu Ray etc.. The reason for a remastering is that masters all have flaws in them. They can never get it exactly like the film negatives due to technological issues and limitations (need for compression to be manageable, poor transfers originally, dirt on the film that wasn't cleaned properly, low resolution masters originally because hi-def wasn't in the picture for the future etc..) So as time goes on each remastering closer imitates the original as our tech and film knowledge gets better. I can understand if they did extra post-processing to the master and add edge enchancement or DNR to the master (which is annoying as hell) but remastering in of itself is fantastic thing.

This is tempting... combine with the $20 Gift card when you buy Resident Evil 5 at Toys R US... get Pinocchio free.

Man I was wondering if I should have bought this from Amazon with Free Shipping and No Tax but with the GC from TRU I might jump in.

Well maybe I will use that GC to buy Madworld and get the Blu on Amazon

Hopefully, Amazon price matches.

I got a $27.50 GC for trading in games that will be used for Pinocchio already, but cheaper is better.

About the remastering, there's an interesting review on Amazon regarding a prescreening new blu-ray: "I just saw a special engagement of this latest 70th Anniversary version of Pinnochio at Disney's El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood in advance of the DVD re-release. Though I am happy to see the movie be given public exposure on a big theatrical screen, over the years I have seen many theatrical screenings of the movie on at least 12 different occasions including an original nitrate 3-strip Technicolor studio vault print in the early 1980's (before the studio dismantled its last nitrate screening room) and non-digital film restorations and was shocked to see that this latest restored version has digitally tampered with the film's original color palette for no justifiable reason.

Some of the chosen character hues are modern day, popular color hues, but look out of place in this early animated classic including certain pinks, reds and blues which are reused so often in identical shades that to classic animation buffs it becomes distractingly noticeable. For those animation buffs who know about Pinnochio, Walt intentionally muted colors in some of the scarier or sadder scenes. In the restored version, for example, when Pinnochio gets locked in Geppetto's "birdcage" the nighttime scene is bright and garish where it should intentionally be darker and muted.

The original movie had hand inked character outlines in colors that matched the interior ink colors, none of that is apparent in this restoration. The characters, though admittedly sharper and clearer, look color-wise like they were electronically tampered with, then reinserted in front of the original backgrounds. "
I'm still gonna get it, maybe I won't care. :)

[quote name='manthing']FYI:

Even though this is a 1080p release, it's still framed in 4:3[/quote]

Wasn't it's original aspect ratio:1.37:1

[quote name='MrDubbs']That's what I was trying to convey earlier[/quote]

I think he and I would both say that color manipulation (outside of simple correction for a faded print/film stock)- especially digital manipulation to the degree that the amazon reviewer alleges to have seen- is outside of what film critics and aficionados would traditionally call remastering and restoration.

[quote name='Justin42']Is this going to be in their ad for the PM at Best Buy?[/quote]
BB has a different value add (3D cup) with purchase in their ad
good luck on the PM

[quote name='MrDubbs']The video has been remastered

I understand that the DVD releases that I watched may not be a true "original" but to me they were.[/quote]that shows our age. VHS would be the "original" for me. Having to fast0foward through 20 mins. of Disney previews.:bomb:

[quote name='joshnorm']Man I was wondering if I should have bought this from Amazon with Free Shipping and No Tax but with the GC from TRU I might jump in.

Well maybe I will use that GC to buy Madworld and get the Blu on Amazon
pixel.gif

[/quote]

I recommend this Blu-Ray to anyone, its fudgin awesome. I didn't like it the first time round, but when I watched it, I LOVED IT!

Also, it's a good filler!!

Thanks
Saint

Last edited by a moderator:
Pinocchio is my favorite animated movie of all time. I've been waiting for a DVD release for a while and I'm even more excited that it's out tomorrow on BR.

After watching Sleeping Beauty on BR, I have NO doubt that Pinocchio will blow my socks off.

No issue at all PMing at Best Buy (and still getting the cup).. the cashier even finished my sentence when I told him I wanted to PM... he said "Toys R Us, $21.99, right?". Not that I would probably use either one but I probably would've preferred the water bottle, but BB is much easier for me to get to and the key is to get the movie as cheap as possible. (the $20 RZ cert I had didn't hurt-- my out the door price was $2.15)

Thanks for posting about it being advertised for $21.99 at Toys R Us. Went to Best Buy and had it price matched for the points and cup since a water bottle has no use to me.

Went to TRU this morning and picked it up and the water bottle for 23$ after taxes. movie looks and sounds excellent. good deal. thanks op

[quote name='dios']Went to TRU this morning and picked it up and the water bottle for 23$ after taxes. movie looks and sounds excellent. good deal. thanks op

Was the blu-ray version actually listed in the ad for $21.99? (As opposed to being YMMV?) Cause at my local TRU all the signs said that only the DVD version was on sale (which was $15.99) the Blu-ray version was $29.99. Both came with a water bottle with purcahse though. If the Blu-ray sale is correct though maybe I'll bring it back friday and exchange the DVD version for the BR since that would be a better deal.

[quote name='SuperJedi']What the 3D water bottle look like huh?[/quote]

Its shorter and rounder , more like a regular cup or glass , as opposed to being tall and thin like a traditional water bottle. The design on it basically looks the same as the box art for the movie. Bottle is dark blue , with Pinocchio and the logo "Pinocchio 70th anniversary edition" on it. I can get a (crappy) picture of it if anyone is really interested.

There were only 3 BD's left when I went [@8:00pm Tues]and no water bottles.
I think it's kind of shitty because there were a ton of DVD's left.
I guess for $21.99 , I can't complain too much, but I really wanted the water bottle too.

bread's done
Back