Pioneer 5.1 Home Theatre System for 360 on sale at CC

von551

CAGiversary!
EC.PIO.HTSGS1.CN.JPG
for $235. normally $300. i just bought it yesterday and it sounds sick.it's licensed by microsoft and matches the 360 great. it's true 5.1 dolby digital surround and it looks great next to the 360. it comes with the 360 universal remote as well which i liked since i don't have one yet. that's $50 right there. i'd recommend it to anyone
EC.PIO.HTSGS1.CN.JPG
that wants a sick 5.1 system without breaking the bank. check it...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pion...sem/rpsm/oid/153617/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

$250 bucks and this thing is garbage. No Video Inputs? They must be insane. Try an Onkyo, Denon or Yamaha HTIB if you must, but definately not something that just "looks like the 360" but sounds like a mule farting into a tin can.

I've heard good things about this system because of it's price. Sure for you techy audio guys it probably sucks but most of us don't have the money to spend on high end systems and want a little more than TV speakers. There used to be a Pioneer coupon that got this thing another 50 dolllars off at CC.

I hope you guys realize that this is absolute trash. The low end pioneer sound systems are just made to capitalize on the name by getting idiots to buy them. You could get something MUCH better for the same amount of money by shopping around. The guy who thinks it sounds good is probably comparing it to his TV speakers and has no idea what a good sound system should sound like. Hell, a decent set of logitech 5.1 computer speakers is probably better than this.

Being licensed by Microsoft is completely meaningless. And this thing doesn't even have a legitimate receiver. I'm sure this thing gets pretty loud, but it probably sounds like shit at any volume.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']I've heard good things about this system because of it's price. Sure for you techy audio guys it probably sucks but most of us don't have the money to spend on high end systems and want a little more than TV speakers. There used to be a Pioneer coupon that got this thing another 50 dolllars off at CC.[/QUOTE]

No, you missed the point. For the price, this sucks ass.

If you spend about $100 more, you'll get an amazing system that will work with multiple devices.

[quote name='von551']
EC.PIO.HTSGS1.CN.JPG
for $235. normally $300. i just bought it yesterday and it sounds sick.it's licensed by microsoft and matches the 360 great. it's true 5.1 dolby digital surround and it looks great next to the 360. it comes with the 360 universal remote as well which i liked since i don't have one yet. that's $50 right there. i'd recommend it to anyone
EC.PIO.HTSGS1.CN.JPG
that wants a sick 5.1 system without breaking the bank. check it...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pioneer-Home-Theater-System-for-Xbox-360-HTS-GS1/sem/rpsm/oid/153617/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do[/quote]

its 189.95 at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HTS-GS1-5-1-Channel-Surround-System/dp/B000H683YC/ref=sr_1_1/103-4684118-6948634?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1174881627&sr=8-1

[quote name='phreak5k']Too bad the shipping is outradeous and I would be charged tax, otherwise it looks like a great system.[/QUOTE]
Yes but you can call your local frys if you have one and the deal should work in store too. It doesn't specifically say its online only so it should work in store too.

[quote name='HeadRusch']$250 bucks and this thing is garbage. No Video Inputs? They must be insane.[/QUOTE]

Yeah because I just love to be able to hear my videos!

Anyway, it is more money then the screen I am playing on (just a 17in computer CRT), so no go for me. I have a pretty nice stereo set up as it is.

yeah well with amazon's shipping it come's out to $215 still and i'm leary of some of those online sellers. especially butterflyphoto.com. i read some horror reviews on a site about all the upselling they try to do when they MAKE you call to confirm your order. i've been through that before buying my digi cam. the system ended up going down in price again the next week to $235 after i had bought it for $250 and CC gave a price adjustment. i was looking at an Onkyo they had there for $300 dollars, but you know what? it had just as many inputs as this one. three. so some of you clowns don't know what you're talking about. as for the sound, it does kick ass. as if i don't know what surround sound is supposed to sound like. anyone that's been to the movies knows the experience. if you haven't heard the system, then don't knock it. i have a small place and only have my 360 and dvr hooked up to it. that's all i need.i could still buy a disc changer down the line and hook that up, i still have a input open. Lord of the Rings sounds sick as does GOW. i've only turned it up to volume level 25 and it was as loud as i'd want to go, but it goes up to 50. so i guess it'd be plenty powerful for a larger living room as well. it has the same power as the onkyo. space is a premium for me, so i like that the receiver is small and light and can sit on top my 360. i couldn't do that with a full-size receiver.it has a ton of surround presets as well as full customization of EQ and channels. i don't just think this sytem is a great one for the price, i think it's great period for someone who doesn't want to spend the money for a top of the line system. don't knock it because you're jealous it sounds as good as your more expensive system...

DSC00107.jpg

IMG%5D

My cousin was going to buy this system at Circuit City today. He's looking for an affordable system for his 360 and eventually to connect to the HDTV he plans on getting this summer. He's not a huge technology guy so hopefully it will suit him fine, but these mixed reviews kind of make me want to stop him from buying it. For the average person, is this system good enough?

[quote name='Cleaner7']My cousin was going to buy this system at Circuit City today. He's looking for an affordable system for his 360 and eventually to connect to the HDTV he plans on getting this summer. He's not a huge technology guy so hopefully it will suit him fine, but these mixed reviews kind of make me want to stop him from buying it. For the average person, is this system good enough?[/QUOTE]

Any shitty sound system is good enough until you hear something that's actually decent. Then you cry.

So yeah, he'll be fine as long as he doesn't have any friends with nice sound systems.

As others have said, with home audio, you get what you pay for. A few years ago, on Black Friday BB had a 400.00 Sony Receiver marked down to 350.00 and they also included a free set of speakers....receiver is pretty good, fairly midrange, but the speakers......SHIT. Oh my God, once I replaced them, the sound quality shot through the roof in comparison.

Save your money, and get good speakers.

I'd say if you are in a really small room though (such as a dorm room or comparable), these might actually be ok, as the smaller the room, the less the speakers need to "fill", and as such, the less noticible the drop in quality.

Thanks for the response. I finally got ahold of my cousin and now he isn't so enthusiastic about the system, lol. It's just for his bedroom, which isn't that huge so it should be fine for now.

I would avoid HTIB, and not just because of the sound (which is usually terrible for the high price you are paying). They are a lot less flexible when compared to buying components. I know most of you own a lot of crap that hooks up to your tv, so buy something that can handle all of it and switch it with a remote, so you don't have to get your butt off the couch, like me. If you really need more inputs, you can buy a switcher to handle all your game systems, which is what I did.

Keep an eye on frys, and do what I did for my game systems:

Onkyo receiver - TXSR304S - Currently $150, but often goes down to $100

Polk bookshelf speakers - I got the R30s at $40/pair, but I think those were replaced with the R150s, which are currently $50/pair, but often go on sale.

Polk center - current model is csi25, which can be had for $50. $100 right now.

Subwoofer - doesn't really matter what you get, just find something cheap that has decent sound.

So you can get a 5.1 component system for $230 plus the cost of a sub (and tax and shipping, if applicable). I paid $60 for my Inifinity 8" on clearance at Circuit City. You can even wait on the center, surrounds, and sub, since it will work fine without them, and a ton of games out do not support 5.1. This will give you MUCH better sound than your average HTIB, and you can change any part you want in the future. The speakers sound great, and the receiver is very nice for $100.

Just make sure your non-subwoofer speakers are the same brand/line so they are acuostically matched. This is not an audiophile thing. If you mix and match, it sounds like total crap most of the time.

[quote name='Cleaner7']My cousin was going to buy this system at Circuit City today. He's looking for an affordable system for his 360 and eventually to connect to the HDTV he plans on getting this summer. He's not a huge technology guy so hopefully it will suit him fine, but these mixed reviews kind of make me want to stop him from buying it. For the average person, is this system good enough?[/quote]
tell him to buy it. these aren't reviews you're reading, just bitter men that haven't even heard this system. have your cuz read the reviews on CC's site, overall they're high. yeah, this thing can't compete with Bose or 7.1, but it's a great 5.1 system. especially for a bedroom, this thing has plenty of power. i have it in my tiny apartment and it's ridiculous. my neighbor laughs at how loud it is in HIS home when i'm using it. i have a "300" bootleg and it's in Dolby 5.1. it sounds awesome! here's a look at my setup...

DSC00107.jpg
DSC00108.jpg

Those rear speakers look awfully high, I'd personally lower them. I think they should be just a little higher, or equal to ear height when sitting down.

lol bose!

I'm sure it's a good system for a small room, especially if you're used to TV speakers.
I picked up the Onkyo 7.1 system a few months back and the sound is unreal. If you can muster up the extra cash and have room for it, it's a no brainer. I hooked it up 5.1 and wired the other 2 speakers to another part of my house (it's an A & B channel receiver).

I bought these speakers in december for $150 (w/ rebate) and it was worth every penny. i'm not an audiophile or anything and i just wanted a suitable upgrade from the tv speakers.

first movie I demoed was saving private ryan. the gunshots, explosions, etc. were loud and crisp in the opening sequence. I see nothing wrong with this system, especially given the price. the negative reviews are widely exaggerated...the system sounds great.

[quote name='yukine']Those rear speakers look awfully high, I'd personally lower them. I think they should be just a little higher, or equal to ear height when sitting down.[/QUOTE]

Your Wrong.

a louder speaker system and a good sounding system are two very different things.

whatever floats your boat. Trust me when you hear a better sytem, you'll cry.

[quote name='Giant Robot']a louder speaker system and a good sounding system are two very different things.

whatever floats your boat. Trust me when you hear a better sytem, you'll cry.[/quote]i don't know if you were talking to me but my point was that it could reach a high volume without compromising the quality (no muffled noises or anything like you would get from cheap computer speakers), which for the price, is great.

i've heard other home theatres before and i stand by my opinion that this system is a great bang for the buck. if you have a 360, it becomes a great looking match as well.

[quote name='Giant Robot']a louder speaker system and a good sounding system are two very different things.

whatever floats your boat. Trust me when you hear a better sytem, you'll cry.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Until you hear a great system, you really don't know what crap is.

Oh, and if you guys want a REAL REVIEW... not from those of us who haven't heard it, why not try some expert reviews?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_HTS_GS1/4505-6740_7-31879276.html

Yeah, it's above average... but not by much. Maybe it's not such a bad system for $150.

[quote name='Vinny']I agree. Until you hear a great system, you really don't know what crap is.

Oh, and if you guys want a REAL REVIEW... not from those of us who haven't heard it, why not try some expert reviews?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_HTS_GS1/4505-6740_7-31879276.html

Yeah, it's above average... but not by much. Maybe it's not such a bad system for $150.[/quote]meh, that review (5.7) is as low as it is simply because it figures in the expensive release price for the system (MSRP $399) in comparison to others in the same price tier. while the others may perform better, this system has undergone the biggest price reduction since release out of the ones they mentioned. i think given the price it is now, the numerical rating would be significantly higher. i trust the review itself though...just believe the 5.7 score is outdated.

Well I have a 6.1 sony receiver with some 6.1 KLH speakers I got at best buy and everything sounds crisp and awesome. I paid like 400 for them both at the time although now I wish i had found the onkyo system on sale instead. Still I am curious to what set of speakers you consider to be good enough to make me cry so I will know what to get when i get a real job.

As others have said, you can get a real system for that price.

Check shoponkyo.com for refurbs on their systems. The HT-S590 is often cheaper than that and it's a real AV receiver. The speakers are average, and so is the wiring but the receiver itself is worth the money and the speakers/wires will be better than this thing.

It was $139 shipped last I checked. If you go over to the AVS Forum, they LOVE that system for the price.

[quote name='yukine']Those rear speakers look awfully high, I'd personally lower them. I think they should be just a little higher, or equal to ear height when sitting down.[/quote]

oh really? ok, thanks, i'll try that!

bread's done
Back