Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System for Xbox 360 $100 (Maybe Less) @ Buy.com

Import

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Linky

I ordered one yesterday after seeing the deal on SD. For the price it can't be beat according to reviews. New google checkout customers can get an extra $10 off.

If you already used google checkout like me there is a $10 rebate form -

Here

This can be used with or without the 360. Can also be used with the PS3 if wanted.

If wrong forum, please move....Thanks.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Would rather buy in a store, does any carry it? Much less PM It?[/QUOTE]
I have that system, I got it at circuit city.

i actually saw this at the circuit city outlet awhile back for the same price. they didnt have it hooked up on anything so i always wonder how these speaker are.

Review

I never seen it in store, but I heard Walmart was selling them for $150 a little while back.

Obviously there are much much better systems out there, especially if you compile a unit on your own. Then again, that type of setup can set you over a grand easily. For a $100 HTIB this looks pretty unbeatable.

I had this system and i loved i wish i had of kept it. It sounds good i hooked it up using the optical outputs and the sound was great.

Pros:
Extremely easy setup, good performance for gaming and movies, remote works with the Xbox 360.

Cons:
Performance may be a little too bottlenecked for audiophiles, no A/V connectivity.

Verdict: 8.5
Pioneer’s HTS-GS1 is a great entry-level surround sound setup that offers some great sound for gamers looking to bring their gaming audio up to snuff.

thats from the site Import provided. no a/v connectivity?! no wonder they don't sell them in stores anymore.

well it has hook ups for the xbox via optical ? ... does anybody know what other hook ups are available for this ?

Like can you basically just hook one item up to this ?

well it has hook ups for the xbox via optical ? ... does anybody know what other hook ups are available for this ?

Like can you basically just hook one item up to this ?

[quote name='rajchakrabarti']Like can you basically just hook one item up to this ?[/QUOTE]

Being a neophyte audiophile, I also have that question.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Being a neophyte audiophile, I also have that question.[/QUOTE]
I have have my 360 and my HD receiver both plugged into it so I know it has at least 2 optical I believe it also has 2 red/white audio. All the inputs are in the back of the sub woofer.

It also has a digital coax connection if I am not mistaken. I have this system too and think the sound is awesome for small to medium sized rooms.
[quote name='M1C13']I have have my 360 and my HD receiver both plugged into it so I know it has at least 2 optical I believe it also has 2 red/white audio. All the inputs are in the back of the sub woofer.[/quote]

Inputs - 2 optical (like 360), 1 coaxial, 1 basic stereo (red and white plugs)

And if you need more stereo, you can just get a cheap switch

Yeah, with the digital coax you can run the HDMIs to the tv, then output to the sub on this with a digital coax and tell the tv to cease output on its speakers. I think I'm going to buy it for a backup system. You can't really beat $100 for this. But to the person with more than a few older systems hooked up, you might have to jury-rig a fix.

In comes the psyclone componet box. It costs around $90 but can also handle 4 inputs of component/s-video/composite with optical and red/white.

You can get yourself really hooked up here for less than $200.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Being a neophyte audiophile, I also have that question.[/QUOTE]
Looking to buy this for a fourth or fifth home theatre set-up, then? No? Then don't call yourself an audiophile.

Then again, the fact that you don't know what inputs are on this system already lay doubt to your claim of audio... err... phility. ;)

does anyone who has this know the length of the wires to the speakers? I bought the logitech x540 and was disgusted at how short the wires were, and they wernt ones you could splice longer. The speakers were like 5-6 feet long which sucked, they wouldnt even reach my roof.

Im weary of buying these unless i know how long the wires are and if they use regular speaker wires or what. Thanks.

Did they discontinue these? I got off sellout.woot.com last week for $89.99 last week. They are going to be good Christmas presents.

I recieved mine from the woot sale today but I havent set it up since I'm moving soon so I didnt feel like packing it back up.

I'm wondering as well, but I have to assume that the wires are fairly long. I mean, it looks like they have mounting pieces included, so they are obviously expecting people to set this up like an actual surround sound system (and you can't really surround yourself with speakers if the wires are a few feet long). I just hope it's not like my current system where the wires to the front speakers are so short that they basically have to be sitting almost on top of the subwoofer... heh.

I went ahead and ordered one of these, as my current system (which I also bought for $100, about 7 or 8 YEARS ago) is in desperate need of being replaced. At $89.99 shipped after GC, I think it seems like a pretty good deal. The lowest price anywhere else is over $130 before tax/shipping.

how do you select your inputs which you want audio from, the remote or is there some switch? I am thinking about this since it would add to my 360/ps3 set up in my bedroom, but am not sure weither I can arrange the system in my room correctly.

I've read all the naysayers, and I'm still stoked. I had a crappy surround unit I paid $70 for last year, just terrible, with no rear speakers hooked up (wires were too short), and this will be an incredible replacement. $89.99 shipped with the Google checkout deal. Can't beat that.

Can someone find me a good deal on wireless rear speakers now? :)

[quote name='ighosty']how do you select your inputs which you want audio from, the remote or is there some switch? I am thinking about this since it would add to my 360/ps3 set up in my bedroom, but am not sure weither I can arrange the system in my room correctly.[/quote]

im guessing it just works all the time

like if u have ur ps3 on then itll play the sound
or if u got ur 360 on itll play that sound, cause thats how most receivers work?

[quote name='ighosty']how do you select your inputs which you want audio from, the remote or is there some switch? I am thinking about this since it would add to my 360/ps3 set up in my bedroom, but am not sure weither I can arrange the system in my room correctly.[/QUOTE]

There's a button on the remote to choose your input as well as a button on the "receiver" piece if you that close to the TV anyway.

I also ordered these on the woot sellout, however I never got any confirmation e-mail. Did anyone else experience this and still get theirs?

I was at the Aker's Mill CC in West ATL and they had it set up with the PGR4 demo running. I was actually impressed they had it listed for $199. I sat and watched the PGR demo all the way through. It was running at a high volume no clipping or audio drop out. The pioneer setup sounded better than most of the typical entry level HTIAB.

Looks like a nice deal.

Here is working pic of the rear:

1206pio.3.jpg

Here is a link to the Home Theater magazine review, they liked it much better than CNET. Frankly, I would trust them a good bit more than CNET in this dept. (I used to be a HT subscriber). It's a thorough review with an 85/100 overall rating.

http://hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/1206piosuc/

After seeing this in person I think this is a steal, even if you have to strip and splice your own cables.

Try your local CC for a set up model, I was surprised,
and like I said- imressed esp. for this price.

Here is a remote pic, it's the only thing that didn't impress me:
pioremotejy9.jpg

Looks great! Thanks for the pics, guys.

Here's a question. For the optical cables, do they come with the unit? Did one come with my 360 (maybe it's still in the box)? If I have to buy one, any recommendations?

I'm looking at rear wireless speaker kits. I doubt the included wire would be long enough, and what a damn pain anyway.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Looks great! Thanks for the pics, guys.

Here's a question. For the optical cables, do they come with the unit? Did one come with my 360 (maybe it's still in the box)? If I have to buy one, any recommendations?

I'm looking at rear wireless speaker kits. I doubt the included wire would be long enough, and what a damn pain anyway.[/quote]

yea it comes with ONE optical cable tho it has 2 optical ports

Cool! Thanks, Furashu. I'm impressed that it comes with an optical cable at all! Though I guess since it's marketed at the Xbox360, it does make sense to include one.

I'm really happy. Great deal. Though I do need a rear wireless speaker kit. I think I found one at Best Buy. Rocket-something or other. I want to say Rocketfish, but that sounds a bit odd.

Rear speakers are a real pain. Sigh.

yeah np, i should get my set from woot tommorrow. it arrived in CA today as of 2pm... sigh i cannot wait. huge upgrade from tv speakers i dont care what people say.

im ironically using it for my ps3 lol

Definitely! Just because it's not gonna blow your house apart is no reason to snub your nose at it, you know? It's 600 watts, sounds good, and beats the hell out of TV speakers. Fantastic for less than $100. Should work just as well with a PS3, too. Or a Wii, PS2, whatever.

I'll actually be using mine with a 360, Wii and a PS2. Haven't snagged a PS3 yet, but I'll definitely use it with that, too.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Definitely! Just because it's not gonna blow your house apart is no reason to snub your nose at it, you know? It's 600 watts, sounds good, and beats the hell out of TV speakers. Fantastic for less than $100. Should work just as well with a PS3, too. Or a Wii, PS2, whatever.

I'll actually be using mine with a 360, Wii and a PS2. Haven't snagged a PS3 yet, but I'll definitely use it with that, too.[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI, Wii does not fully support 5.1 (Only ProLogicII - Red/White cables). Not sure how many PS2 games support 5.1 but I know it is capable on that unit.

[quote name='Import']Just an FYI, Wii does not fully support 5.1 (Only ProLogicII - Red/White cables). Not sure how many PS2 games support 5.1 but I know it is capable on that unit.[/quote]

That's okay; it'll still sound purdy. I'm running with a gimped, low-watt surround system with no rear speakers now, so the new one will be a tremendous improvement.

bread's done
Back