Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System for Xbox 360 $100 (Maybe Less) @ Buy.com

Import

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Linky

I ordered one yesterday after seeing the deal on SD. For the price it can't be beat according to reviews. New google checkout customers can get an extra $10 off.

If you already used google checkout like me there is a $10 rebate form -

Here

This can be used with or without the 360. Can also be used with the PS3 if wanted.

If wrong forum, please move....Thanks.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Definitely! Just because it's not gonna blow your house apart is no reason to snub your nose at it, you know? It's 600 watts, sounds good, and beats the hell out of TV speakers. Fantastic for less than $100. Should work just as well with a PS3, too. Or a Wii, PS2, whatever.

I'll actually be using mine with a 360, Wii and a PS2. Haven't snagged a PS3 yet, but I'll definitely use it with that, too.[/quote]

i read somewhere it really ISNT 600watts but 115w or something, can someone clarify?

[quote name='Furashu']i read somewhere it really ISNT 600watts but 115w or something, can someone clarify?[/quote]

From here: http://hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/1206piosuc/

The 155 total rated watts might not seem like much at first glance, but the HTS-GS1 does a fine job filling a medium-sized room.

Also, does anyone know if there's a cable I can buy that will let me hook up my X-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard to this to take advantage of the 5.1 in pc games?

[quote name='Furashu']i read somewhere it really ISNT 600watts but 115w or something, can someone clarify?[/QUOTE]

There are different methods of rating wattage. RMS says it can output 600W but that's because it has a lower threshold of what is good sound. FTC, which has more stringent guidelines, pegs it at 155W of good sound. But if anyone is ever quoting wattage, they'll say the bigger number anyway so you can compare it with your friends on the 600W number.

i bought it saturday on sellout.woot.com when they offered it for $89.99 w/ $5 shipping. didn't even look around and bought it right away (it was 3 AM and still felt like spending money after BF).

i've been living w/ tv speakers since august and it sucks. i was gonna buy an onkyo 7.1 HTS from CC but it never dropped lower than $430 or so...was hoping to get it for $375 or less. the pioneer was just too good to pass up.

gonna hook it up today and test it w/ everything i got. i'll post my thoughts after i mess with it.

Got mine today from woot.com It sounds pretty nice. I haven't done any thorough listening yet but I am liking what I am hearing. The set also just looks nice. The MCACC automated calibration is a snap but I didn't like the levels it gave me. However it's a snap to adjust them.

Overall, if you have a small or medium sized room and aren't an audiophile you can't go wrong for the price.

Sounds great. And yeah, you can't always measure something by the advertised wattage...

I'm excited to hear what you guys think of yours. Is anyone else going to use wireless rear speakers with it?

[quote name='Furashu']what kind of wire do i need to buy so it can work with my tv?[/quote]

Good question.

Most TVs, as far as I know, just use the RCA (red and white) cables, so you'd probably need that on both ends of a cable. That's the case with my TV. I could see TVs having optical output as well.

I actually have all my systems hooked into a "router" sort of switcher thing, then hooked into my TV, then from my TV to my sound system. Sheesh. With this new unit, I'll probably plug stuff into it directly instead.

Does that answer your question at all? :S Either the red/white cable or an optical cable I'd imagine.

Ok, What if we have a couple of equipment we want to connect over analog, and looks like there's only 1 analog port? How do i connect all of the stuff(wii, dvd player, etc.. )

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Here's a quick question..how do i get 5.1 surround sound on my wii and ps3? I didnt notice an optical out port like the 360 has?[/quote]

u cant get 5.1 on the wii i think its only 2.1 dolby or something

for the ps3
use the optical cable, its the black one that comes with it. though there are protective nubs on each end of the cable, making it look like the ends to some huge headphones lol.

just plug in the optical and set ur ps3 to play thru the optical and set the available sounds to dts 5.1 and dolby 5.1. For the ps3 and certain blu-rays u can get 5.1 dts lossless which is the most amazing sound ive ever heard lol.:)

[quote name='dm877']where should i put the mcaa mic? on top of my xbox?[/quote]

i got the same question, but i think its where ur sitting?
lol, anyone else know?

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Here's a quick question..how do i get 5.1 surround sound on my wii and ps3? I didnt notice an optical out port like the 360 has?[/quote]

I know that the Wii doesn't have optical out, it supports Dolby Pro Logic II though, got my Pioneer system today and haven't messed around with my Wii yet. I'm not sure if PS3 has optical out since I don't own one yet.

[quote name='blackbird3216']Ok, What if we have a couple of equipment we want to connect over analog, and looks like there's only 1 analog port? How do i connect all of the stuff(wii, dvd player, etc.. )[/quote]
Easiest way would probably be to buy a system selector to connect everything into that, then connect the selector into the Pioneer system. That's what I'm doing with mine.

Also, anyone know how to sync up the Pioneer remote to work with the 360? I looked all over the manual and tried checking the Pioneer site, but couldn't find anything. Got it working with my TV, just need to figure out how to get it to work with the 360.

[quote name='GenDV138']I know that the Wii doesn't have optical out, it supports Dolby Pro Logic II though, got my Pioneer system today and haven't messed around with my Wii yet. I'm not sure if PS3 has optical out since I don't own one yet.

Easiest way would probably be to buy a system selector to connect everything into that, then connect the selector into the Pioneer system. That's what I'm doing with mine.

Also, anyone know how to sync up the Pioneer remote to work with the 360? I looked all over the manual and tried checking the Pioneer site, but couldn't find anything. Got it working with my TV, just need to figure out how to get it to work with the 360.[/quote]

how the heck did u sync it with ur tv? lol

anyways heres my review
After watching pirates of the carribean 2 in 5.1 dts lossless audio
pros
1) the highs were very good, the ship crackling and wood snapping was loud and very immersive, the music was very good.
the sound did not distort even after hitting up to 33.
2) madden 08 sounds good, felt like i was in the stadium and made the players seem like they hit a lot harder

cons
1) the lows werent as good as the highs. the conversations werent as loud as i wanted them to be, i kept having to turn it up then forgetting and going deaf on the explosions lol.

overall i love it, i havent experienced any other system, but this one meets my needs for an average gamer and for $100 u cant go wrong. people tried to convince me to spend another $300 for a "Better" system, but i am very satisfied so far cause i dont care too much about audio, just wanna go deaf.lol

[quote name='GenDV138']

Also, anyone know how to sync up the Pioneer remote to work with the 360? I looked all over the manual and tried checking the Pioneer site, but couldn't find anything. Got it working with my TV, just need to figure out how to get it to work with the 360.[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't have to do anything to "sync" it with the 360. Just point the remote at the IR port in front of your 360 and press buttons.

[quote name='Furashu']i got the same question, but i think its where ur sitting?
lol, anyone else know?[/QUOTE]

Put the MCACC mic at ear level where you will be sitting. You may need to place a folding chair on top of your couch of something to get an good even place to put it.

[quote name='Furashu']how the heck did u sync it with ur tv? lol

[/QUOTE]

There are TV syncing instructions in the manual. And if you can't find your TV brand, just go through all of them, starting at 600 and moving up. My Syntax Olevia TV was not included but somewhere in the 610s, I found a setting that worked perfectly. Now I have a remote that can control the stereo, TV, and 360, which is awesome, considering I really just wanted a stereo.

[quote name='GenDV138']I know that the Wii doesn't have optical out, it supports Dolby Pro Logic II though, got my Pioneer system today and haven't messed around with my Wii yet. I'm not sure if PS3 has optical out since I don't own one yet.

Also, anyone know how to sync up the Pioneer remote to work with the 360? I looked all over the manual and tried checking the Pioneer site, but couldn't find anything. Got it working with my TV, just need to figure out how to get it to work with the 360.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand..if the wii supports try dolby pro logic II, then how on earth do you get 5.1 without an optical cable?

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I don't understand..if the wii supports try dolby pro logic II, then how on earth do you get 5.1 without an optical cable?[/quote]
It's encoded in the stereo audio:
PLII-process-flow.gif

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/prologic_II.html

[quote name='Felder71']Shouldn't have to do anything to "sync" it with the 360. Just point the remote at the IR port in front of your 360 and press buttons.[/quote]

Ah thanks, guess my Rock Band hub was blocking the IR port, forgot about that.

[quote name='crashnburn69']is the receiver small enough to be placed on top of a 360?[/QUOTE]

Yes the Receiver is the tiny little unit about the size of a remote control. If you're wondering how can it be so small it's because all your wires go through the Subwoofer.

Just placed an order for one. Thanks OP. Now, can anybody tell me where I can find a deal on a digital coaxial cable (for my DVD player) and another optical cable (for the PS3). It only come with 1 optical cable correct?

[quote name='toogood']Just placed an order for one. Thanks OP. Now, can anybody tell me where I can find a deal on a digital coaxial cable (for my DVD player) and another optical cable (for the PS3). It only come with 1 optical cable correct?[/QUOTE]

Monoprice.com will probably be your best bet.

I have a question about the 5 channel Stereo, does that mean it takes the 2 front speaks and put the audio on the rear speaker evenly.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Monoprice.com will probably be your best bet.[/QUOTE]

Just bought my cables from them, thanks. One final question. My Aquos TV has a optical out slot, so should I plug this receiver to the TV or to the DVD player and PS3 directly? The DVD player and PS3 are connected to the TV via HDMI.

[quote name='Liquidrmx']I have a question about the 5 channel Stereo, does that mean it takes the 2 front speaks and put the audio on the rear speaker evenly.[/quote]
I haven't ever used Dolby Prologic II so I am going to assume it operates like Dolby ProLogic I. The rear surround channels are somewhat discrete, not anything like DD 5.1, they are mostly music and ambiant noise- you do get some dialogue audio but most of that is channeled to the center channel.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I haven't ever used Dolby Prologic II so I am going to assume it operates like Dolby ProLogic I. The rear surround channels are somewhat discrete, not anything like DD 5.1, they are mostly music and ambiant noise- you do get some dialogue audio but most of that is channeled to the center channel.[/quote]

Pro Logic II is a significant advancement over Pro Logic. It is very close to being discrete without actually being discrete. The surround channels are stereo and not mono like Pro Logic.

Pro Logic IIx takes it a step further with pseudo 7.1.

[quote name='toogood']Just bought my cables from them, thanks. One final question. My Aquos TV has a optical out slot, so should I plug this receiver to the TV or to the DVD player and PS3 directly? The DVD player and PS3 are connected to the TV via HDMI.[/quote]

I'd plug it into your TV! Saves inputs on the unit itself in case you want to plug other stuff into it later. You should get the same sound quality, I believe, but I could be wrong; maybe someone can confirm/deny.

[quote name='nadroj1485']where exactly does this plug into the 360 at?[/quote]

Yeah, I just took a look at my 'box, thinking I'd be like, "dood, u plug it in the back, lollll!!" (not really), and I can't find it either. Where DO you plug it in? :S

I believe PS2s come equipped with an optical out as well, right? Should I buy another cable for that or not bother?

And what's this MCAA mic you guys are talking about?

ohhhh so confused. :( When did I become an old man?

run optical or an extension of the usual red/white audio cables from your 360 to the subwoofer (where everything is connected).

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']And what's this MCAA mic you guys are talking about?[/quote]
after you hook everything up, hook that black circular thing (looks like one headphone w/o padding) to the MCAA input jack in the back of the subwoofer. place one where you're gonna usually sit. on the remote, slide down the bottom panel for more buttons. press the MCAA button...i forget what it says exactly. now just be real quiet and let it do it's thing.

i hooked up my 360 through HDMI, so i ran the optical cable the pioneer came with from the tv (Vizio VU42LF 42" 1080p) into the subwoofer. without support for video, i have it set up like this:

360 --> HDMI --> TV
PS3 --> HDMI --> TV
DIRECTV --> HDMI --> TV
Wii --> Component --> TV
TV -- Optical Audio Out --> Pioneer HTS

pretty damn good sound for $95 (from woot). wherever you buy it, it's awesome for the price. i set it up as front surround (all speakers up front, stacked). 360 games, hd-dvds, ps3 games, blu ray, wii sound great. i'm really happy about this purchase.

my one complaint is that on the 360 dashboard, the usual sound clip that plays when you scroll or switch blades sounds like the HTS comes back from a sleep mode...it has a bit of delay and sounds a bit subpar. don't know what it is...whatever, not much of problem. i was more concerned about rock band and GH3 but everything is fine.

[quote name='typeRJ']hook that black circular thing (looks like one headphone w/o padding) to the MCAA input jack in the back of the subwoofer. place one where you're gonna usually sit. [/quote]

You have to string a microphone thing from the unit to where you're sitting? :S Do I have to string a wire into the refridgerator in my kitchen, too? How about one to the toilet? Or the car in the garage? What a pain. Or is it just for calibration and then you don't need to yank it around anymore?

You know how you said you stacked your speakers up front, no rear speaker? Is that common? Maybe I should just do that instead of buying a wireless rear speaker kit.

Can I buy new speaker wires for the rears? Or would I have to actually splice the wires in that case? I'm putting the speakers on the ceiling in the four corners of the room, so...

Surround sound is great, but it sure is a pain. Mostly those dang rear speakers.

[quote name='typeRJ']run optical or an extension of the usual red/white audio cables from your 360 to the subwoofer (where everything is connected).

after you hook everything up, hook that black circular thing (looks like one headphone w/o padding) to the MCAA input jack in the back of the subwoofer. place one where you're gonna usually sit. on the remote, slide down the bottom panel for more buttons. press the MCAA button...i forget what it says exactly. now just be real quiet and let it do it's thing.

i hooked up my 360 through HDMI, so i ran the optical cable the pioneer came with from the tv (Vizio VU42LF 42" 1080p) into the subwoofer. without support for video, i have it set up like this:

360 --> HDMI --> TV
PS3 --> HDMI --> TV
DIRECTV --> HDMI --> TV
Wii --> Component --> TV
TV -- Optical Audio Out --> Pioneer HTS

pretty damn good sound for $95 (from woot). wherever you buy it, it's awesome for the price. i set it up as front surround (all speakers up front, stacked). 360 games, hd-dvds, ps3 games, blu ray, wii sound great. i'm really happy about this purchase.

my one complaint is that on the 360 dashboard, the usual sound clip that plays when you scroll or switch blades sounds like the HTS comes back from a sleep mode...it has a bit of delay and sounds a bit subpar. don't know what it is...whatever, not much of problem. i was more concerned about rock band and GH3 but everything is fine.[/quote]

Ahh ok thats what I didnt get. I was thinking I was somehow suppose to hook the 360 straight into the pioneer system and I didnt see any free ports on my 360 where that would be possible (I havnt actually received the htib yet I just wanted to make sure I purchased everything I need before it gets here)

Found it! You know the part of the A/V cable that plugs into the Xbox? There's a little black port on there. PS2, on the other hand, has the port right on the unit itself (assuming PS3 is similar). And Wii doesn't have one, I guess?

[quote name='blackbird3216']i don't get how im supposed to plug in all this analog stuff with only 1 analog in port.[/quote]

get an adapter.

[quote name='Furashu']get an adapter.[/quote] im not particulary good with this A/V stuff. How much does this stuff usually cost? (especially since i'm expecting a TV upgrade very soon from that old clunker, and we still don't have a suround sound system) And would you have some reconmendations?

[quote name='blackbird3216']i don't get how im supposed to plug in all this analog stuff with only 1 analog in port.[/quote]

I'm confused by the question.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I'm confused by the question.[/QUOTE]
oh, i mean, there's only one analog input on the system, and since i don't have any HD gear(no, the wii doesn't count) yet, everything is analog. I don't know how im supposed to put like 5 analog equipment into 1 port.

If you have multiple analog (red+white RCA cables) sources you need to plug into it, get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Recoton-DVD1000-S-Video-Stereo-Selector/dp/B00008VSIQ

Run the sources into a switch like that, then the output of the switch into the HTS. You might want an electrical powered one if you need a remote though, otherwise you'll have to manually press a button to switch each time :(

Just a question for those that have this in already: about how long are the wires for the speakers that connect it to the sub?

Also if anyone's willing to measure how tall the sub is, that'd be neat too, thanks.

[quote name='blackbird3216']oh, i mean, there's only one analog input on the system, and since i don't have any HD gear(no, the wii doesn't count) yet, everything is analog. I don't know how im supposed to put like 5 analog equipment into 1 port.[/quote]

Oh, I see... Well, what I do (and it may or may not work for you) is plug everything into my TV, then plug my TV into my sound system.

I do have a switcher for my game consoles, though, so they're all plugged into the component and audio on that, then that runs to the component on the TV.

I'll plug my PS2 (eventually PS3) and Xbox360 directly into the new sound system's two optical ports.

The switcher I use was really cheap. It's a manual button pusher type of thing, but it's not too much of a pain. It doesn't have optical ports, though, of course.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Oh, I see... Well, what I do (and it may or may not work for you) is plug everything into my TV, then plug my TV into my sound system.

I do have a switcher for my game consoles, though, so they're all plugged into the component and audio on that, then that runs to the component on the TV.

I'll plug my PS2 (eventually PS3) and Xbox360 directly into the new sound system's two optical ports.

The switcher I use was really cheap. It's a manual button pusher type of thing, but it's not too much of a pain. It doesn't have optical ports, though, of course.[/quote] i just realized that my tv has a audio out port(with 2 analog ports) so i think that means that everything that is connected to it will get the audio out from there or something. But since im getting a tv upgrade soon to the HD age, would i have to buy a box, or do HD tvs also have audio out ports?

Also, does anyone know if the system sounds well if i stack the satelite speakers top and bottom? And would i still get 5.1 Surround sound from the wii if i do it that ^ way.

hey guys i just bought one! Thanks op.

BTW just a lil thought, you think i should buy another one and sell it on ebay for like $300-350 and make profit? Or no. I dunno if i could pull it off. Plz give me feddback

bread's done
Back