Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System for Xbox 360 $100 (Maybe Less) @ Buy.com

Import

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Linky

I ordered one yesterday after seeing the deal on SD. For the price it can't be beat according to reviews. New google checkout customers can get an extra $10 off.

If you already used google checkout like me there is a $10 rebate form -

Here

This can be used with or without the 360. Can also be used with the PS3 if wanted.

If wrong forum, please move....Thanks.

[quote name='ajh2298']So has anybody that picked up this system run it only with the 2 fronts and the center yet, if so how does it sound?[/quote]

I have mine set up like this for the time being, and it has a setting for "simulated" surround, I cant tell...it sounds the same to me. But overall it sounds great being used as a "3.1" system.

Unpacked mine today... holy crap that sub is huge. Damn thing is as big as the largest PC case I have and shaped like one too. No idea where I'm going to cram that thing...

[quote name='Teqonix']For anyone looking for speaker stands, I purchased these for the two rear surround speakers, and they work very well with the addition of some washers to secure the speakers to the stands:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000289DC6[/QUOTE]
Nice. I was looking for speaker stands. Thanks.

Mine shipped today and I should have it Thursday

[quote name='Tomeeboy']Unpacked mine today... holy crap that sub is huge. Damn thing is as big as the largest PC case I have and shaped like one too. No idea where I'm going to cram that thing...[/QUOTE]
Damn, for real?! I'll have to see where I can fit it. Can you measure the sub and tell me how tall it is?

[quote name='iazybandit'] Damn, for real?! I'll have to see where I can fit it. Can you measure the sub and tell me how tall it is?[/quote]

Like the size of a medium- to large-sized sedan. It's seriously enormous. I thought this was going to be a compact system.

Sure sounds wonderful, though!

[quote name='iazybandit']
Damn, for real?! I'll have to see where I can fit it. Can you measure the sub and tell me how tall it is?[/quote]

From the system specs:

Main unit :7.9 in x 17.2 in x 14.8 in / 19.8 lbs

When I ordered the system, I thought it was going to be fairly small and compact (like the old 4.1 Altec Lansing set I was replacing, which was hooked up to my PC. I'm kind of regretting ordering it now, as I don't really want a bunch of giant gray plastic boxes all over the place... especially the ATX-size subwoofer.

[quote name='Tomeeboy']

When I ordered the system, I thought it was going to be fairly small and compact (like the old 4.1 Altec Lansing set I was replacing, which was hooked up to my PC. I'm kind of regretting ordering it now, as I don't really want a bunch of giant gray plastic boxes all over the place... especially the ATX-size subwoofer.[/quote]

The speakers themself are really small and compact, the only big piece is the sub.

i was gonna pass on this for my entertainment room but i'm gonna get it for my computer or for my setup in my bedroom. cheap price and good reviews.

I need some help with my setup.
I have the XBOX 360 with HDMI capability but I do not have a HDMI cable. Currently I have my XBOX 360 hooked up to the speakers through the optical cable. In addition I have the component HD AV cables that came with my XBOX (green, blue and red cable) hooked up to my HDTV. The red, yellow and white cables are unplugged. My problem is that sound only comes out from my front speakers (right and left) but not my surround/center speakers. Also is there a way to get my regular XBOX hooked up to it? I use my regular XBOX to watch DVD's.
Thanks

[quote name='paintballers']I need some help with my setup.
I have the XBOX 360 with HDMI capability but I do not have a HDMI cable. Currently I have my XBOX 360 hooked up to the speakers through the optical cable. In addition I have the component HD AV cables that came with my XBOX (green, blue and red cable) hooked up to my HDTV. The red, yellow and white cables are unplugged. My problem is that sound only comes out from my front speakers (right and left) but not my surround/center speakers. Also is there a way to get my regular XBOX hooked up to it? I use my regular XBOX to watch DVD's.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Do you need to set up the X360 to Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound to get the other speakers to work? I've had mine for 2 years so I forget but check the sound settings in the Xbox Settings blade. Also, the regular Xbox can go into the red-yellow ports on the sub or it can use the other optical port, since the original Xbox does support optical cables.

[quote name='Felder71']Do you need to set up the X360 to Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound to get the other speakers to work? I've had mine for 2 years so I forget but check the sound settings in the Xbox Settings blade. Also, the regular Xbox can go into the red-yellow ports on the sub or it can use the other optical port, since the original Xbox does support optical cables.[/QUOTE]

For the reuglar XBOX if I plug the red and white into the sub, what do I plug into the TV?

[quote name='paintballers']For the reuglar XBOX if I plug the red and white into the sub, what do I plug into the TV?[/QUOTE]

You do realize this is a 5.1 Surround Sound System and that the Audio from your Game ( Xbox, 360, PS3, ETC. ) will be coming out of these said speakers so there is no need to plug in any audio cables into the TV.

wtf it says the shipment would be delivered today and I saw the Fed EX truck outside of my house and he stayed there for like 5 minutes and drove off:bomb:

i was so excited:(

i guess maybe he forgot to put the stuff in the truck

My 360 is hooked up to the 7.1 through a receiver.. through optical.. since you need optical.

I dont believe you can hook up the original xbox to surround can you? Unless you run it through a receiver..

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']My 360 is hooked up to the 7.1 through a receiver.. through optical.. since you need optical.

I dont believe you can hook up the original xbox to surround can you? Unless you run it through a receiver..[/QUOTE]

You can, you need the Advanced Video pack. It enables S-cable and optical out

[quote name='GoofsterStud']Man...with the Z5500 now 168 at buy.com

Who'd get those now?[/quote]I am wondering about that myself, since dell has the Z5500 for $181.99

I don't know anything about speakers and sound setups. I just want something better than my tvs speakers, and at a cheap price.

The buy.com Pioneer system is back in stock it appears, at $100. So do I spend $82 more for the Z5500? Is that even for normal stuff, or only computers? Every speaker is on a stand... I am such a n00b when it comes to sound stuff. Someone with knowledge guide me here, I would really like surround sound. Which would be the better choice?

Edit: Nevermind, price was raised. Looks like my options got a lot slimmer, and an easier choice. Now I gotta see if I can get $100 bucks together...

[quote name='benjamouth']Same here, I'll remember that for future orders that are taking their time.[/quote]

Same happened here, after waiting for days for them to ship the damn speakers i finally gave up and cancelled the order, then the next day i checked the status of my cancellation request and they shipped it.

This is why i shop at Amazon, Buy.com is very slow.

Can anyone please help and tell me where should i place the calibration microphone if i am going to put my surround speakers in the front with the front speakers?

And would it be safe to place the center speaker on top of the TV?

[quote name='Marat']Same happened here, after waiting for days for them to ship the damn speakers i finally gave up and cancelled the order, then the next day i checked the status of my cancellation request and they shipped it.

This is why i shop at Amazon, Buy.com is very slow.[/quote]Except Amazon has this setup for $60 more... everything has a cost. I'd pick Buys slow shipping to save $60 any day of the week. Of course, if Amazon PM'd...

[quote name='Marat']Can anyone please help and tell me where should i place the calibration microphone if i am going to put my surround speakers in the front with the front speakers?

And would it be safe to place the center speaker on top of the TV?[/quote]

I am guessing that i don't even need to use the calibration thingy since i am not going surround at this point.

[quote name='Marat']Can anyone please help and tell me where should i place the calibration microphone if i am going to put my surround speakers in the front with the front speakers?

And would it be safe to place the center speaker on top of the TV?[/QUOTE]

Put the microphones where your ears would be, like on the top part of the couch you sit on or something else. It shouldn't matter where you have the speakers as the microphone will hear it the sounds made from the speakers and reflection off the walls adjust accordingly.

The speakers are magnetically shielded so it should be okay to place it on top of your TV, assuming it's an old-school tube. Newer HDTVs don't use magnets anyway so it's never a problem with them. Note that the receiver/subwoofer is not shielded though so you may want to keep it 6 inches or so from the TV.

PLEASE HELP:

So i set everything set up and the speakers work for the two devices that are connected to the sub directly, my Apple TV (optical) and Cable Box (coax)

The problem is with the two other devices that are connected directly to my Samsung HDTV using HDMI cables, my HDTV has a Optical output and that is how the audio gets to the sub from the TV, optical.
There is no sound at all, i tried switching the optical inputs on the sub and tried using a different optical cable but still no sound, i also tried looking in my TV's audio menu if there is something i can change (disable TV speakers/enable optical) but there is nothing of that sort.

Please help. thanks in advance.

[quote name='Marat']PLEASE HELP:

So i set everything set up and the speakers work for the two devices that are connected to the sub directly, my Apple TV (optical) and Cable Box (coax)

The problem is with the two other devices that are connected directly to my Samsung HDTV using HDMI cables, my HDTV has a Optical output and that is how the audio gets to the sub from the TV, optical.
There is no sound at all, i tried switching the optical inputs on the sub and tried using a different optical cable but still no sound, i also tried looking in my TV's audio menu if there is something i can change (disable TV speakers/enable optical) but there is nothing of that sort.

Please help. thanks in advance.[/quote]

Weird. I can't think of anything. Faulty optical cable? That seems unlikely... Must be something small somewhere. (I had the MCACC mic plugged into the wrong thing on mine, which disabled the remote... I'm silly. I'd still recommend using the MCACC mic to calibrate, by the way, even if you're using front surround mode.)

[quote name='sj41']Is this deal still going, as in, will they get more in stock like the page says they will?

And can you stack the $10 Google checkout savings and the $10 mail in rebate? Or is it one or the other?

I made a thread in the 360 forum to ask if this is the best setup here. Give your thoughts if you can help me out: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3744703#post3744703[/QUOTE]
If you actually took the time to actually click on the link, you'll see that its in stock and you can use the $10 GCO.

[quote name='Marat']As i have mentioned above, i tried using different optical cables, so it's not the cable.[/quote]
Well I don't know then, man. Sounds like something to do with your TV.

Are you selecting the right input with the remote or audio select button on the unit? There are two optical inputs on the unit. One of them will say Xbox 360 on the digital indicator when you select it; the other will say "digital".

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Well I don't know then, man. Sounds like something to do with your TV.

Are you selecting the right input with the remote or audio select button on the unit? There are two optical inputs on the unit. One of them will say Xbox 360 on the digital indicator when you select it; the other will say "digital".[/quote]

Yeap, i have tried switching to both inputs on my remote, i even switched the inputs on the sub to make sure one of the optical inputs was not defective, and they both work.

So it does sound like the problem is my TV, and i don't know if this helps but there is a red laser light on the end of the optical cable that goes from the TV to the Sub, so this tells me that the optical port on my TV is not defective, right?

[quote name='iazybandit']If you actually took the time to actually click on the link, you'll see that its in stock and you can use the $10 GCO.[/quote]I did look. Does this that it will ship? It says: In Stock Soon: Usually Ships in 2 to 3 business days

[quote name='Marat']Yeap, i have tried switching to both inputs on my remote, i even switched the inputs on the sub to make sure one of the optical inputs was not defective, and they both work.

So it does sound like the problem is my TV, and i don't know if this helps but there is a red laser light on the end of the optical cable that goes from the TV to the Sub, so this tells me that the optical port on my TV is not defective, right?[/quote]

It could still be a defective output on the TV, but I doubt it. Are you sure you're plugging it into an output on your TV and that it's not an input? Is there an analog (red/white) output on the TV you could try?

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']It could still be a defective output on the TV, but I doubt it. Are you sure you're plugging it into an output on your TV and that it's not an input? Is there an analog (red/white) output on the TV you could try?[/quote]

I only have one optical plug on the back ofmy HDTV so i would think that it's an output since someone else on this forum has the same setup and that's what he said, and why would it be a input when the HDTV's speakers are soooooo cheap.

And yes, there's analog output but i don't think i'll get the same audio quality as if i was to hook up using optical since the two devices that are plugged in to my TV are connected using HDMI.

[quote name='Marat']I only have one optical plug on the back ofmy HDTV so i would think that it's an output since someone else on this forum has the same setup and that's what he said, and why would it be a input when the HDTV's speakers are soooooo cheap.

And yes, there's analog output but i don't think i'll get the same audio quality as if i was to hook up using optical since the two devices that are plugged in to my TV are connected using HDMI.[/quote]

I'm just trying to think of possibilities since it's obviously not working. But yeah, if someone else has the same TV and it functions as an output, then I would imagine it's an output.

When you use the TV speakers, do you get audio from the devices you have connected to the TV through HDMI?

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I'm just trying to think of possibilities since it's obviously not working. But yeah, if someone else has the same TV and it functions as an output, then I would imagine it's an output.

When you use the TV speakers, do you get audio from the devices you have connected to the TV through HDMI?[/quote]

Yeap, i get audio from the TV speakers from the HDMI devices.
Here's something i just found out and this may be the problem...

The AV-Out jack on the back of the TV ONLY works if you're passing it an analog signal. Anything hooked up to the TV through component will not pass the incoming audio signal to the audio-out jacks in the back. Similarly, the optical-out ONLY works if you're passing it a digital HDTV signal.

Isn't HDMI digital?
If so then it's sopouse to work, right?

Actually, I don't think HDMI passes along any audio at all, just video, unless there's some other kind of HDMI cable I'm unaware of that has audio with it... As far as I know, Xbox 360 and PS3 use HDMI for the video and have seperate optical outputs for the audio (I don't own an HDMI 360 myself, nor a PS3, so I use the component outputs for video and the optical outputs for audio). Or, in the case of optical inputs being unavailable, I suppose you're expected to use the analog audio cables that are part of the component/composite/s-video cables.

So, to sum up, I don't think you're transmitting any audio out of your game systems if all you have plugged in is their HDMI output. Again, though, I don't own any HDMI-capable systems, so I have nothing here to reference. The HDMI I've worked with in the past on PCs didn't transmit any audio, but it was coming from a video card.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Actually, I don't think HDMI passes along any audio at all, just video, unless there's some other kind of HDMI cable I'm unaware of that has audio with it... As far as I know, Xbox 360 and PS3 use HDMI for the video and have seperate optical outputs for the audio (I don't own an HDMI 360 myself, nor a PS3, so I use the component outputs for video and the optical outputs for audio). Or, in the case of optical inputs being unavailable, I suppose you're expected to use the analog audio cables that are part of the component/composite/s-video cables.

So, to sum up, I don't think you're transmitting any audio out of your game systems if all you have plugged in is their HDMI output. Again, though, I don't own any HDMI-capable systems, so I have nothing here to reference. The HDMI I've worked with in the past on PCs didn't transmit any audio, but it was coming from a video card.[/quote]

Im actually using an hdmi cable for my 360 and thats all you have to plug into the tv to get video AND sound, so no it doesn't use a seperate cable for sound.

I wish I had waited and got these instead. I paid $100 for Logitech's 5.1 system, but it was only 70 watts. It sounds good, but I have a feeling these sound way better, plus it's optical, which Logitech isnt. :(

[quote name='Kireek']Im actually using an hdmi cable for my 360 and thats all you have to plug into the tv to get video AND sound, so no it doesn't use a seperate cable for sound.[/quote]

Weird. Newfangled technology. Sure sounds handy, though! Way less cables that way.

[quote name='Requiem']I wish I had waited and got these instead. I paid $100 for Logitech's 5.1 system, but it was only 70 watts. It sounds good, but I have a feeling these sound way better, plus it's optical, which Logitech isnt. :([/quote]

Well, you could still get one of these...

Just because something is comparatively lower-wattage doesn't mean it won't sound good, of course. I have 15-watt speakers hooked up to my PC, but they sound great. That said, the Pioneer system does sound, well, better. It's by far the best sound system I've ever had access to.

Maybe it didn't sell well because of the dokry guy on the box?

[quote name='pimpinc333']You do realize this is a 5.1 Surround Sound System and that the Audio from your Game ( Xbox, 360, PS3, ETC. ) will be coming out of these said speakers so there is no need to plug in any audio cables into the TV.[/QUOTE]

Ya but what about the red plug for picture? If I plug the yellow and white to the suround sound the red is unplugged because it can't reach back to the TV. I am referring to my regular XBOX not my XBOX 360.
Thanks

[quote name='paintballers']Ya but what about the red plug for picture? If I plug the yellow and white to the suround sound the red is unplugged because it can't reach back to the TV. I am referring to my regular XBOX not my XBOX 360.
Thanks[/quote]

The Yellow plug is for the picture.

The Red and White plugs are for the sound.

I had a similar dilema with my original Xbox, and even my 360... I had to cut away the rubber around the actual wires, so I could make the plugs reach, between my stereo and my TV.

bread's done
Back