Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System for Xbox 360 $100 (Maybe Less) @ Buy.com

Import

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Linky

I ordered one yesterday after seeing the deal on SD. For the price it can't be beat according to reviews. New google checkout customers can get an extra $10 off.

If you already used google checkout like me there is a $10 rebate form -

Here

This can be used with or without the 360. Can also be used with the PS3 if wanted.

If wrong forum, please move....Thanks.

Ugh crap. Yeah I ordered this thing on the 25th and now it's officially On Order.

Would they still be getting any more?

[quote name='SLdK']Ugh crap. Yeah I ordered this thing on the 25th and now it's officially On Order.

Would they still be getting any more?[/quote]

Weird, I ordered on the 30th and mine has shipped..

Ok, I have my Xbox hooked up via optical cable for audio and it sounds great. I went to monoprice and saw two different optical cables. I want another one for my PS3. I want the 12 foot ones, but one says PREMIUM 12FT Optical Toslink 8.0mm Cable w/ Metal Fancy Connector and the other one says 12FT Optical Toslink 5.0mm Cable. Does the thickness matter? I am going to use the PS3 for games as well as blu-ray movies and want the best 5.1 sound from this Pioneer system as possible. Thanks for any help.

[quote name='addicted2games']Does the thickness matter? I am going to use the PS3 for games as well as blu-ray movies and want the best 5.1 sound from this Pioneer system as possible. Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

Optical is optical. The optical cable that came with the Pioneer system is thin, yet it is still decent. Will you have pets that will chew on it? Will you be flexing the cables alot? So just go with whatever is cheapest.

[quote name='richierich']Optical is optical. The optical cable that came with the Pioneer system is thin, yet it is still decent. Will you have pets that will chew on it? Will you be flexing the cables alot? So just go with whatever is cheapest.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the input. Guess its just like HDMI, they are all the same. So the extra thickness is for protection, not performance. Gotcha. Thanks again.

[quote name='dank']it has to be used with the xbox 360??[/QUOTE]
No. Its just the color of the surround sound. Its the color of the Xbox

[quote name='Vjr191']I already ordered it about a week ago but I was wondering where do I go in order to track the chipping status?[/QUOTE]

Visit the buy.com webpage and click on "sign in" at the top of the page. Then, you should see information pertaining to order lookups on the right hand side of the sign in page. Depending on how the purchase was completed, you can lookup the order through buy.com, google checkout, or paypal.

[quote name='Vjr191']I already ordered it about a week ago but I was wondering where do I go in order to track the chipping status?[/quote]

They sent me an email stating that my order is on the way. In this e-mail there is a link at the bottom that will take you to the tracking information. I ordered on the 29th.

Edit : Beaten to it.

[quote name='iazybandit']No. Its just the color of the surround sound. Its the color of the Xbox[/quote]

i want it.

Hey all,

I don't think this question ever got answered. When using the optical audio output, will the 360 still output audio through the red/white cables at the same time?

I'm trying to figure out a solution for the lack of a headphone jack on the Pioneer.

Thanks!

[quote name='grifta67']Hey all,

I don't think this question ever got answered. When using the optical audio output, will the 360 still output audio through the red/white cables at the same time?

I'm trying to figure out a solution for the lack of a headphone jack on the Pioneer.

Thanks![/quote]

I believe it will. it works that way with hdmi. the sound comes through both at the same time. with the PS3 is either one or the other.

[quote name='pj-']Weird, I ordered on the 30th and mine has shipped..[/QUOTE]

Gah that's ridiculous. I have no idea why mine got effed over.

*Sends frivolous customer service complaint*

Do ya mind sending me an order number so that I may display some actual proof? I'm goin balls for this speaker system.

[quote name='Legendary Gokou']They sent me an email stating that my order is on the way. In this e-mail there is a link at the bottom that will take you to the tracking information. I ordered on the 29th.

Edit : Beaten to it.[/quote] fuck they haven't sent any email to me but they charged me already!...I'm gettin scared =[[[[[[....UPDATE!, I checked my google checkout account and it has stated that it shipped it on the 3rd and is now at Texas....Wooooo am I glad =]]

I believe this is my first post (long-time lurker and I have trouble finding good deals by myself, haha!) :whistle2:#

I ordered mine on December 30th (7-8 day shipping supposedly) and FEDEX said it would arrive the 4th (obviously didn't, it's in Carrollton, Texas and I hope it gets here tomorrow/ day after since these are my days off), so if you ordered on the 30th or before and haven't been contacted, I would try to get in contact with Buy.com and see what's up.

Anyone else get Red Rings of Death the very first time they plugged the optical cable into their 360?

See, the first time I turned on the 360 with the surround sound system hooked up (this Sunday), I got a RROD. This was the first time I've EVER gotten a RROD, so naturally I panicked. But after a single reset, everything's been working fine. Anyway I'm wondering if this could somehow be a freak thing that's related to using the optical out for the very first time.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Anyone else get Red Rings of Death the very first time they plugged the optical cable into their 360?

See, the first time I turned on the 360 with the surround sound system hooked up (this Sunday), I got a RROD. This was the first time I've EVER gotten a RROD, so naturally I panicked. But after a single reset, everything's been working fine. Anyway I'm wondering if this could somehow be a freak thing that's related to using the optical out for the very first time.[/QUOTE]
Was it 3 rings or 4? 3 rings is RROD, but 4 means the cables aren't plugged in properly.

[quote name='xmrblondex']Was it 3 rings or 4? 3 rings is RROD, but 4 means the cables aren't plugged in properly.[/QUOTE]hmmm, i THINK it was 3, but considering my momentary panicked state I can't look back and really be sure. I did just move into an apartment, so the relative arrangement of everything is all different now. Time to turn down the thermostat maybe?

Oh and after the Red Rings (x?) incident, I just shut off the console, plugged everything in again to make sure everything was secure, and everything's been fine ever since. Is that a good sign? Or is that just how it usually goes for a first-time RRODer?

[quote name='BustaUppa']hmmm, i THINK it was 3, but considering my momentary panicked state I can't look back and really be sure. I did just move into an apartment, so the relative arrangement of everything is all different now. Time to turn down the thermostat maybe?

Oh and after the Red Rings (x?) incident, I just shut off the console, plugged everything in again to make sure everything was secure, and everything's been fine ever since. Is that a good sign? Or is that just how it usually goes for a first-time RRODer?[/QUOTE]
I think that's a good sign. If you had RROD, it probably wouldn't have been fixed by unplugging the cables.

i just used the optical cable over the weekend for the first time and no, no RRoD... It sounds like how my X360 died couple of months ago. You turned on one day and the three red rings of death, no warning, no explantion, nada...

I picked up one of these before Christmas and finished off my cheap-ass media room. I've played through Gears of War and am a decent way into Bioshock. This setup is great - I'd recommend it even at the Wal-Mart price.

Anyone know how to get the AM/FM tuner to work on this thing. I've got it set up but there doesn't seem be be an option for radio on the reciever. Anyone know how to do this?

[quote name='jvandub']Anyone know how to get the AM/FM tuner to work on this thing. I've got it set up but there doesn't seem be be an option for radio on the reciever. Anyone know how to do this?[/QUOTE]I'm not sure if there's an equivalent option on the receiver itself, but you can definitely do it with the remote.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I'm not sure if there's an equivalent option on the receiver itself, but you can definitely do it with the remote.[/quote]

How so? I have been trying to use the remote to do it but failed to switch it to a radio tuner. Can you inform me how you do it?

Just hooked up this system today and it's great. I'm trying to synch it with my Comcast DVR remote. Does anyone know the correct setup code to use for this. The ones in the dvr remote manual didn't work.

Thanks

[quote name='jvandub']How so? I have been trying to use the remote to do it but failed to switch it to a radio tuner. Can you inform me how you do it?[/QUOTE]

The tuner button is hidden in the bottom panel of the remote. Just slide the panel down. Then you can use the tune + and tune - keys to adjust the frequency.

[quote name='7dustfan']The tuner button is hidden in the bottom panel of the remote. Just slide the panel down. Then you can use the tune + and tune - keys to adjust the frequency.[/quote]

Aha!!! tricky tricky... well thanks for the help bro.

Mine came yesterday. It's all set up and I'm loving it. This is probably the best $90 I've ever spent.

Also, 360 owners should check out the dude on the box. He has an interesting way of holding the controller..

So what happens if one of my cables breaks or something. The connectors look proprietary, where would i get new ones? Anyone looked into this?

As long as the cable doesn't break right at the connector, you could easily splice in some regular speaker wire

[quote name='SLdK']Gah that's ridiculous. I have no idea why mine got effed over.

*Sends frivolous customer service complaint*

Do ya mind sending me an order number so that I may display some actual proof? I'm goin balls for this speaker system.[/QUOTE]

gaha I got lucky, just as I canceled my order, they were unable to reverse it as it was shipped yesterday. While I did order this thing a ridiculously long time ago, I can't argue for the price. Can't wait to try it.

i have been on this forum for a while doing research for this speaker system. i am only 15 and dont have thousands of dollars to spend on things so i really wanted one though to go in my room with my hd tv i got about a year ago and it would be perfect well let me tell everyone it is perfect. i ordered it December 28 and recieved it today and the box was huge and it was soo cool to setup and pritty quick but let me tell anyone who has any and i mean any dought at all BUY IT NOW its purly an amazing thing to have and so cheap to please everyone trust me you wont regret it and its amazing expecially with call of duty 4 :)

i got mines awhile ago and every single speaker was dead except the subwoofer:(

gay

oh well its at a service center and soon i will be rocking out in 5.1

Well, I ordered mine on the 31st from Buy.com and it arrived today. Set it all up and turned it on -- I was impressed. You couldn't expect better for the price, and the remote/aethstetics topped it off nicely.

Had it on for about two hours softly playing music when it popped and turned off. Now I'm getting "DC ERROR" on the display with a flashing blue light. Feh, I'm a bit miffed, to say the least. Given Buy.com's return policy I'll give Pioneer a call tomorrow, or perhaps this weekend (not feeling too enthusiastic about the whole sitation at the moment, I'm afraid) but I'm fearing the worst, that I'll just get told Buy.com's not an authorized reseller and all that.

Any tips or suggestions from those who've had to contact them?

I suppose as a last resort I could take it to a local electronics shop or something if all else fails, however I suspect I'd pay more than I did for the system itself.

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, to say the least. I'm kind of put off by the entire thing. Urgh. I'll keep you updated.

PROS: I had mine since December 29th and I love it can't go wrong with this price love the 5.1 surround sound:mrgreen:

CONS: NONE! Just my personal issues since I'm gonna need to get the satelite speaker stands since my couch is too big and the other thing is that I can't crank it to my preferred setting (loud as effin' possible) since I live in a condo:whistle2:(

I also ordered another system for my friend and it arrived yesturday, help him set it up and we watched Die Hard 3 on medium setting and it was sick. You got to love 5.1 surround sound I don't know how I could have lived without it... THANKS CAGs for this thread!!!:bow:

OVERALL: One of the best deals ever. Personally the best $105 I invested which should pay off for at least 5+ years from now.

Bought mine before the holidays but only unboxed it on Sunday. For $100 I don't think you can beat it. I'm no audiophile but the sound is excellent and setting it up was very easy.

Half-Life 2 really benefits from 5.1 sound and I love playing Tiger Woods when you can hear the noise of the wind blowing round you and the birds singing.

Highly reccomended.

sound is amazing during COD4, Halo, & Orange box but i'm having issues i think... when i'm on xbox (a game that supports 5.1) i usually use the auto sound option since i will get 5.1 sound and it works just fine, but when i stream a 5.1 supported video it only comes through the front 3 speakers and not the back two unless i use the auto option and use surround... same thing for my tv when i use auto on a 5.1 HD program it still comes out the front 3 speakers unless i use the auto --> surround feature... is it me or is it not supposed to do that? i tried the MCACC feature too but that didn't help so i'm stumped

[quote name='eminemobied12']sound is amazing during COD4, Halo, & Orange box but i'm having issues i think... when i'm on xbox (a game that supports 5.1) i usually use the auto sound option since i will get 5.1 sound and it works just fine, but when i stream a 5.1 supported video it only comes through the front 3 speakers and not the back two unless i use the auto option and use surround... same thing for my tv when i use auto on a 5.1 HD program it still comes out the front 3 speakers unless i use the auto --> surround feature... is it me or is it not supposed to do that? i tried the MCACC feature too but that didn't help so i'm stumped[/QUOTE]I don't have an answer for ya, but this reminded me of another question I had. If you're playing a BC Xbox game on the 360, and the game originally had 5.1 sound... will you get surround sound when you play it on 360 (using the same sound setup that you use for a normal 360 game)?

My system arrived last week. The box is freaking huge! I can't believe we get free shipping on that beast.

Aaanyhoo, the system sounds great. The next door neighbors mentioned they can make out the lyrics to the Rock Band songs I'm playing. I haven't pushed the system past 22 (50 is the max volume).

I have one question though:

I'm a total noob when it comes to home theater. I've got an old Sanyo SD-TV with two RCA video-in. No video out. How do I go about getting my Wii playing through the speaker system? Also, is there any way to route my cable television through the speakers? Thanks in advance, and thanks for this great deal CAG!

[quote name='theSlex']

I have one question though:

I'm a total noob when it comes to home theater. I've got an old Sanyo SD-TV with two RCA video-in. No video out. How do I go about getting my Wii playing through the speaker system? Also, is there any way to route my cable television through the speakers? Thanks in advance, and thanks for this great deal CAG![/quote]

Plug the yellow cable from the wii into the TV, and divert the red and white into the analog inputs on the sub-woofer. Be sure to set the reciever to "analog" to listen to it.

Hey guys, would I have any problems if I kept the subwoofer like five inches from my PS3?

[quote name='h3ro']Hey guys, would I have any problems if I kept the subwoofer like five inches from my PS3?[/QUOTE]

No, but you don't want to have your Subwoofer on a TV Stand of any type either. You should place it on solid ground. Only reason is that it's going to rattle the hell out of a wood type stand.

That is if your PS3 is in an entertainment center of some sort :D

bread's done
Back