Pirates of Dark Water on DVD! Wbshop exclusive - $29.99.

Saw an article about this on Wired.com (they're also running a contest to get it free) unfortunately, it's not remastered or anything. Wish they'd just take the time to clean it up, and/or, finish up the series for the fans. Maybe if it sells well enough?

[quote name='Redeema']Saw an article about this on Wired.com (they're also running a contest to get it free) unfortunately, it's not remastered or anything. Wish they'd just take the time to clean it up, and/or, finish up the series for the fans. Maybe if it sells well enough?[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm hoping as well. That said, I'll be making a purchase on this to support the series. At best, they'll do a full blown release. At worst, I still have the series.

There is a clip on the website that shows the quality. It's really not bad.

The series was never completed properly, it just....stopped. So i really don't know why they are releasing this.

[quote name='dios']The series was never completed properly, it just....stopped. So i really don't know why they are releasing this.[/QUOTE]

You just shut up and hope your nay saying doesn't delay my shipping some how.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']You just shut up and hope your nay saying doesn't delay my shipping some how.[/QUOTE]

8 of the 13 treasures, I really did wish they finished the show. I don't know how long it took me to figure out they never finished it after watching countless reruns, it drove me nuts thinking I always missed the episodes I was waiting to watch.

This is awesome, but I'm worried about the actual product. "Made to order DVD" sounds a lot like what Amazon tried doing with some of the TLC programs before they had legitimate releases. They were selling cheaply made DVD-R copies of the programs on them, burning them as people ordered them. I think they stopped that nonsense when everyone started to realize what a ripoff the whole thing was.

[quote name='dios']The series was never completed properly, it just....stopped. So i really don't know why they are releasing this.[/QUOTE]
because it's amazing? tons of shows on dvd never properly finished not to mention shows that started releasing on dvd then just stopped.

They should just get someone to narrate at the end of the last episode. It could go something like this: And they went on to find the last 5 treasures and saved the planet. Ta da Its over

[quote name='dios']The series was never completed properly, it just....stopped. So i really don't know why they are releasing this.[/Quote]

Firefly was never completed properly, it just....stopped. So i really don't know why they made Serenity.

In all seriousness, this was a great show, and I'd be more interested if this wasn't from WB's line of "Let's throw this shit on a DVD-R and sell it" series.

[quote name='Kerig']This is awesome, but I'm worried about the actual product. "Made to order DVD" sounds a lot like what Amazon tried doing with some of the TLC programs before they had legitimate releases. They were selling cheaply made DVD-R copies of the programs on them, burning them as people ordered them. I think they stopped that nonsense when everyone started to realize what a ripoff the whole thing was.[/QUOTE]
Kerig is probably right here, folks. It will most likely be a DVD-R. This isn't new territory for Warner. On the one hand Warner is gauging interest by doing this so it needs support. Of course on the other hand people like me have to hold out for the "official" release before we buy anything.

I really wish they would end up finishing the show if the DVD shows enough purchasing.

Hopefully they'd hire the original staff back as well as the colorist to make sure the look goes right. The last thing I want to see is some Korean or Japanese animator animate it and fuck it up.

You know I saw this thread and was like oh ha WB is getting a cheap Pirate movie but then after I actually clicked on it and saw the picture. I was like "YES!" I remember that show it was awesome. And yeah it did just kinda stop. I hope but highly doubt they will finish it. They always do that to shows just end them somewhere in the middle leaving you scratching your head.

WBstore is offering free ground shipping on all orders placed at the WBarchives all throughout September. So free shipping if you buy it now!!!

Just bought it btw.

oh man, so many childhood memories!

if only other series would get released too - like the final volume of Ducktales and Silverhawk.

i loved this series.... i'd be happy if they finished it or did a QUALITY reboot, not a cheap crappy one.

or even the story boards for the last episodes would be nice....

I didn't watch this growing up, but I picked up the SNES game at a yard sale awhile back. Told my fiance I got some ol' thing called 'Pirates of Dark Water'- which immedately spawned a mini-rant on how 'awesome the show was and what do you mean you never saw it?!' I'll have to tell him about this.

Wow, I was wondering if this show would ever surface again. Too bad it's an unfinished series. but we takes what we can gets. Whenever people start getting their DVDs in, please post a review as far as quality goes.

Insanity is what I call thinking/hoping they will finish this series. Dungeons & Dragons was literally 1 episode away from closure, but when they released the most excellent package on DVD (custom box looking like a D&D expansion pack, mini D&D cartoon characters stat book for real D&D play with them, etc), they only included a digital script of the final never-made episode. (also a free PDF to download if you didn't buy the original DVD set but want to know how the kids got back home)

With everything that went into that package if they couldn't produce a final lost episode, there's no way that WB will commission 12+ more episodes to finish this series. They're just looking for creative ways to get money from something they don't care enough about to support properly. If it wasn't so expensive I'd be much more inclined to accept. $14.99 sounds about right for legitimate bootleg-quality DVDs.

There was a short animated prequel so to speak on the CBS Storybook series... where the main character from PoDW rescued a dragon and tamed it. It was amazing, as was the CBS Storybook hour. Thx for this awesome news btw :D

[quote name='Celsius']No coupons/promos?[/QUOTE]

I put the dvd in my shopping cart, but didn't order it. This morning I woke up to find a $5 off coupon if I complete the purchase. With the free shipping, I'm definitely getting closer to ordering. :D

[quote name='gar3']Kerig is probably right here, folks. It will most likely be a DVD-R. This isn't new territory for Warner. On the one hand Warner is gauging interest by doing this so it needs support. Of course on the other hand people like me have to hold out for the "official" release before we buy anything.[/QUOTE]

This is about as official as its going to get, animation sells for shit (unless its Marvel or DC) which is why companies like Shout have moved to online sales.

It will be DVD-R and it will most likely continue (there are several other series planned for release in Sept like Thundarr the Barbarian) since its been successful for companies like History Channel and A&E

When somebody's copy arrives, can they give us an idea of the quality of the set? Mostly packaging and menus I care about, as the sample on WB's website is more than passable in regards to the quality I had originally expected for the picture.

Holy shit. I loved this series as a child. I had all the episodes on VHS until they disintegrated over time and I had to throw them out. I'm tempted to buy this set as a replacement, but I'm curious as to the quality of the release as well.

$5 off and free shipping was enough to push me into purchasing it, plus I got my final payment from the 2nd Annual Ultimate Lowball. I'll be sure to post impressions and pictures upon receipt if nobody else beats me to it.

What sucks is that Boomerang used to run this.

Knowing my luck, I'll drop the $30, then they'll start running there and I'll be stuck with WB DVD-Rs when I could have just made my own. :whistle2:/

Mine came yesterday. It's not a bad set, but it is completely devoid of extras. the PQ/AQ is really quite good, so don't let the 'no restoration' bit scare you off. These are better than anything currently available online.

DSC_1907.jpg

DSC_1908.jpg

DSC_1909.jpg

DSC_1905.jpg

DSC_1906.jpg

WB sent me a coupon for $5 off (technically for any order of $25 or more). If anyone would like it to pick this up, shoot me a PM.

Are you planning on watching the menus or the show? As long as I can navigate to the episode I want to see, I don't give a crap how ugly the menus look

Star Trek: The Original Series was never completed properly, it just...stopped. So I really don't know why that was released on DVD, or why they made the 5 other TV shows, 11 movies, and hundreds of novels, comic books, and videogames.

Seriously, though, I imagine the answer to that would be "because some people would like a chance to watch the 21 episodes of the show that were made," or something along those lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thelonepig, thank you for posting those pics! For a barebones set, it doesn't look too bad.

Now I'm really tempted to buy it.

I'm going to try leaving it unpaid in a basket to see if I get the $5 off coupon emailed. Also interested in Flight of the Dragons. Never seen it but a girl I'm seeing flipped out when she saw it was available

[quote name='thelonepig']WB sent me a coupon for $5 off (technically for any order of $25 or more). If anyone would like it to pick this up, shoot me a PM.[/QUOTE]

I still have this coupon available. It expires on the 17th, so if someone is interested in ordering before then send me a PM requesting the code.

[quote name='Adobe Jones']I'm going to try leaving it unpaid in a basket to see if I get the $5 off coupon emailed. Also interested in Flight of the Dragons. Never seen it but a girl I'm seeing flipped out when she saw it was available[/QUOTE]

Flight of Dragons is wonderful! Its an old Rankin Bass cartoon that has excellent voice actors (James Earl Jones is the villian, among others). This is another movie I must buy now that I've gotten rid of its VHS counterpart. Don't let the gawdawful cover that Warner Bros. put on it fool you. Someone had loaded the entire movie onto Youtube if you want to preview it.

[quote name='blissskr']I have found memories of watching this cartoon when I was younger, definite purchase for me.[/QUOTE]

where'd you find them?

[quote name='thelonepig']I got another $5 off coupon. Expires 10/7.

$5 off $10 or more at wbshop.com: BRFE-7GME-EOU2-CBXZ[/QUOTE]

Thanks TLP, I went ahead and ordered this. Cost me $24.32 shipped I guess there is an additional $3 discount.

bread's done
Back