PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe - New Island and Online Co-op - Out on UMD 4/27 for $9.99!

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
picture.php

Creators of the award-winning PixelJunk series for PS3 and PSN brings one of the industry’s most popular and addictive tower defense games to the PSP system with the newest addition to the PixelJunk series, PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe. Inspired by the popular and addictive “tower defense” genre, PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe brings not only all the content from the original PS3 PSN version to the world of the handheld, but as an added bonus, PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe will also feature PixelJunk Monsters Encore as well.

In PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe, the player controls a defender-of-the-forest character in a lush 2D environment. The player’s goal is to strategically defend the pathway to his homebase from an onslaught of various threatening monsters. In between waves of monster attacks, the player scrambles to reinforce his defenses by collecting gold coins and jewels from fallen enemies to finance new towers and research deadlier weapons.

The game features a new island with more than 10 stages, new enemies, music tracks and special bonus features. With two new unique towers available, players can enjoy all the original Monster stages with fresh new gameplay.

KEY FEATURES

• Visual Appeal on the PSP system – PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe features a unique hand-drawn art style -- the same great visual quality as seen on the PS3 system.
  • Content Galore – Includes the original PuxelJunk Monsters and PixelJunk Monsters Encore is included in the package as an add-on bonus for PixelJunk fans!
  • New Towers and Enemies – The PSP version includes two new towers, a brand new enemy and special boss. Mixing these new elements, original stages can be played again with a fresh feel.
  • Medal Challenge – With the Medal Challenge feature, players get rewarded with medals as they play. Medals won through playing can be used to unlock bonus content such as videos, artwork and more.
  • Co-Op Play – Co-op play available with two PSP systems locally and online via Adhoc & Infrastructure modes.
  • New Music – Features brand new tracks composed by Kyoto, Japan’s Otograph. Combined with the original score, the PSP version includes more than 20 tracks.
Co-op details

What’s not on show at E3 however, is the internet co-op play we have implemented so I thought I’d spend a little time explaining what we have implemented as it is pretty cool.

Trailer in the blog post and on the PS Store

To begin with, in order to meet up with friends (or strangers) you need some kind of lobby or chat room system so we have implemented that - you can create rooms freely, bookmark rooms to go back to easily, set up your preferences for what maps you want to play so people can search for your room more easily etc., all the standard stuff. There is a cross-translated menu for saying simple things no matter what language the other player understands and of course you can type messages in freely. Each room can have up to 8 players in it.

However, we’ve gone a little bit further with a feature we haven’t seen implemented before; when two people start up a co-op game a little running “ticker tape commentary” starts scrolling across the top of the chat window, so the people who aren’t playing yet can read a blow by blow account of what the two players are up to in their game. It’s surprisingly entertaining to watch while you are waiting for someone to start up a game with you. I’m hoping this gives the chat rooms a warmer, more community-like feel so people will enjoy just hanging out in their favourite rooms.

Within the game itself, you can talk to your partner-in-crime by using a new ring menu that gives you a set of simple icons you can string together that are surprisingly effective at conveying what you want your friend to do. It’s a lot of fun running around and directing the other player while you dance on towers.

I’m not sure when it will be going on sale, but when it comes out this game is a must-have for all law-abiding PSP owners everywhere, it’s dangerously addictive and now it has gone mobile you can play it everywhere!

I had no idea this game was going to be online via infrastructure until I read the IGN preview from Gamescon. That's really cool news!

BTW, Yes I realize that info is in the OP but obviously I hadn't seen this post!

I've been playing this and it's still a lot of fun, though playing it from the beginning again means I have no clue how I unlocked things like the Flame tower and those extra towers. They might be spread out since all three islands are there from the start (though you need to get rainbows to unlock them). At least I kind of remember what I need to do in some of these levels.

I do like the Tiki Hut, which houses the Medal Challenges that can unlock new extras. The first I got unlocked a theme tool that installs a theme to the memory stick, though I haven't checked out what it is. Most of the challenges I've seen so far are the same as they are in the PS3 version, but you have to play the associated levels first in the campaign to unlock the challenge version.

The camera is kind of annoying if you've played these levels before and know them in and out, as it'll zoom in occasionally on incoming waves or monsters that are about to reach the hut while you're unable to see where you're at. Otherwise, it's fine and works well for the PSP screen.

I just got word that this will be $19.99, which makes sense compared to the $16 PS3 version that's not balanced with what the new content the encore pack adds.

After playing a level in online co-op, it seems like your connection is very sensitive to anything else you could be doing on that network. I had my laptop nearby and if I opened something in a new tab, it would drop from three to one or zero bars on the connection meter. You literally cannot do much else while playing this online, which I don't think has been much of an issue on the few other online games I've played on the PSP.

We ended up losing since the dumb host wanted to focus on snatching coins from me to build as many flame towers as possible, so good teamwork can do wonders. The in-game communication option is just basically a set of icons you can use to give a simple message, but it would probably be better to get on PSN, Live, or Skype to get real voice chat if you intend to do well.

this is one of the best psp games out right now...and for some reason i actually like it better than the ps3 version...

[quote name='markj']this is one of the best psp games out right now...and for some reason i actually like it better than the ps3 version...[/QUOTE]

Same here, I'm absolutely addicted to it. I could see how some would be hesitant of the price though. The original was $10, going on sale for $5 at one point. $20 is a bit much considering how long it's been out for the PS3.

Owning both the original and Encore expansion, I can comfortably say it was worth every penny.

It's only $4 more than PJM & Encore, and you're getting a bunch of other new stuff as well, new levels, new enemies, new music, extras.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']In case you missed the announcement, this will be out on UMD in two weeks for $20 and it seems to already be on sale for $10 at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up!

Not sure if this is some kind of pricing error on Amazon (and Gamestop's) part, or if the MSRP got lowered, but I threw down a $10 preorder at Amazon to look it in. Damn good deal.

I hope you don't mind, but I put the deal in the deals forum, while giving you full credit.

So I bought this from GS for $15 when it was $20 and got $5 off because of a coupon code where if you spent $80 you got $20 off your order. What will I be charged when it ships? It has the preorder price guarantee.

Weird. The PixelJunk newsletter makes it seem like $9.99 is the MSRP for the UMD version:

PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe is on its way to US retail shelves in disc form! Arriving on April 27th, the disc release marks the first chance to buy a physical copy of PixelJunk Monsters in America, and it comes at the irresistible price of just $9.99.

Great news for my hardly used PSP. I picked up the Pinball Heroes bundle on the store and now PJM. I have always wanted to pull the trigger on PJM, now it is a no-brainer. Can't wait.

yay cant wait !!

- I just won a PSP in a lowball so how exactly do you find friends to play co-op with ? or is it more like you join random people ?

- Or , can you sign into an already existing PSN ( PS3 ) account to find friends ?

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']yay cant wait !!

- I just won a PSP in a lowball so how exactly do you find friends to play co-op with ? or is it more like you join random people ?

- Or , can you sign into an already existing PSN ( PS3 ) account to find friends ?[/QUOTE]
It has lobbies to find random people to play with and has its own friends list system to find them more easily. I don't think the PSP version of PSN has access to the PS3's friends list.

AMAZON

Price: $9.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Really dont mean anything and it should change to SHIPS within 24 hours around 4 or 5 pm est time... This happens with 90% of new games..for some reason it jumps to 2 to 4 weeks and then its listed later in the day as in STOCK

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't think the PSP version of PSN has access to the PS3's friends list.[/QUOTE]

It actually does in Motorstorm: Arctic Edge. In the online menu you had access to your entire PS3 friend list.

It was pretty cool but it's the only PSP Infrastructure game I can think of that supports it.

[quote name='slidecage']AMAZON

Price: $9.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Really dont mean anything and it should change to SHIPS within 24 hours around 4 or 5 pm est time... This happens with 90% of new games..for some reason it jumps to 2 to 4 weeks and then its listed later in the day as in STOCK[/QUOTE]

It's now saying will be in stock on May 1st.

WTF Amazon still hasn't even put my order in the processing stage yet .... and I even preordered it. I bought one copy from G$ but I want them both

Wow...I am freakin' AWFUL at this game. I had to drop my difficulty down to "easy" just to get through the first few levels. It gets pretty hectic!

Heh, I'll probably do the same.

I've got to charge up the PSP again before I can play PJM. Got it for $7.50 when GS had the 25% Off coupon. That's a bargain, and I love that it's on a UMD. Hate not having physical media.

downloaded this game for my roommate, we've been playing so much, its so hard at times, but we love it, trial and error at it's finest

i personally think this is better just to download, small file, easy access, no UMD switching, i dunno.

bread's done
Back