Planet Earth: Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray] - ~$34 shipped from Amazon.co.uk

Pr0JectNymPh0!

CAGiversary!
UPDATE#3: WENT DOWN TO ~$34 SHIPPED AS OF 01/24/2009

UPDATE#2: WENT UP TO ~$38 SHIPPED AS OF 01/09/2009

UPDATE#1: THANKS TO gi60 FOR THE HEADS-UP! NOW UPDATED WITH THE NEW PRICE AND LATEST EXCHANGE RATE AS OF 01/08/2009! NOW ~$32 SHIPPED.

NOTE: Your credit card may charge you 1-3% foreign surcharge fee.

I missed the Fry's Black Friday deal but fortunately I found this. It ships through Air Mail from the UK and the set will be delivered to your doorstep within 6-10 business days. It is an ALL REGION set narrated by Sir David Attenborough and not by Sigourney Weaver. This version also comes with a 5th disc.

NOTE: You can login using your existing Amazon account.

CLICK HERE

Here's what it looked like if shipped to California (It might vary with other states):

Delivery Method: Air Mail
Delivery Preference: Group my items into as few deliveries as possible
Subtotal of Items: £21.72
Postage & Packing: £3.08
------
Total before VAT: £24.80
VAT: £0.00
------
Total: £24.80
Promotional Gift Certificates: -£0.00
------
Total for this order: £24.80

CURRENT RATE AS OF 01/24/2009
£25.23 = $33.84

PACKAGE PIC

548zyh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very fast shipping, UK to Alaska in just 4 days. Amazon here can't even do that.

To the poster about Bank of America, they do charge a foreign transaction fee of 3%, so it cost me $.95 more but well worth it.

American planet earth packaging destroys uk packaging. Especially, since mine arrived crushed.
Quick!:)... but crushed:(
None the less, awesome price and contents.

Got mine today in very good time as well but I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed on the packaging that it says that the video is in 1080i. The reason I held out for this version was the narrator and the higher video quality. Is the package misprinted or did I just happen to get an earlier/ later printing that they were trying to save some money on? Keep in mind that I haven't watched it yet so I can't comment on the actual quality (which even in 1080i is generally very good anyway). I was just wondering if anyone could comment.

Soule

I was scared of the 1080i on the back of the box. There's a video that plays before the menu screen and it is in 1080i, but once I got to the menu and watched the film, it was in 1080p I believe. While watching Blu-Rays my TV no longer says 720p or 1080p, it says 1920x1080 24hz, so I could be mistaken.

For what it's worth, it looked gorgeous to me.

I dont understand why everyone is so into this series. This is one of those documentaries that you watch once and you never want to watch it again. If you ever watch the entire series more than 3 times, I would be shocked.

I've watched it 3 times already.

The visuals are amazing and the whole series has a mellow fell. Good just to have going, or even as demo material to show to friends.

I think the demo aspect of it is huge. It really shows off the power of high definition. It's also good counter-programming to say something like Transformers.

[quote name='zewone']or even as demo material to show to friends.[/quote]

How often are you going to show this to your friends? I just imagine a friend of yours walking in and you running to your blu-ray player to play some good old Planet Earth so that your friend can crap his pants :lol:

If you are going to "Demo" this to your friends, then you better have a TV bigger than 52", 1080p (120hz) and at least 5.1 surround sound. Otherwise, don't bother.

[quote name='souleman96'] It's also good counter-programming to say something like Transformers.[/quote]

Caligula in Blu-Ray would be much better to counter-program something like Transformers :lol:

[quote name='oasisboy']How often are you going to show this to your friends? I just imagine a friend of yours walking in and you running to your blu-ray player to play some good old Planet Earth so that your friend can crap his pants :lol:

If you are going to "Demo" this to your friends, then you better have a TV bigger than 52", 1080p (120hz) and at least 5.1 surround sound. Otherwise, don't bother.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have all that.

[quote name='souleman96']I also don't know what a 5.1 system is going to do (OK a bit but really? this set is meant for visuals).[/quote]

You my friend need to buy a nice 5.1 surround system so you can hear TRUE HD Surround sound.

[quote name='oasisboy']You my friend need to buy a nice 5.1 surround system so you can hear TRUE HD Surround sound.[/quote]

how about 7.1? :applause:

I ordered it on the 14th around midnight (-5:00 EST), it shipped on the 15th. I'll post back when I receive it. Got it shipped for ~36

[quote name='bullsrfive']Man my order shipped on the 9th and i still haven't received it yet[/quote]

Same here. Looks like if you live on on the east or west coast, you get yours pretty fast. I'm in the midwest.

ok hold on one second here...

I got the set today in the mail... as I look on the back the video format is listed as 1080i... so I think to myself, "that is strange... let me go look at the HD-DVD copy I have to make sure it says 1080i on that set too... the HD DVD has the video listed at 1080p....

so what gives? misprint on the box or what? I don't think I would have replaced my HD DVD version had I known the blu-ray is 1080i, if it is in fact true.

ALL versions of Planet Earth, on both HD DVD and Blu Ray, are 1080P. The UK version mentions 1080i on the box because the extra programs are in 1080i but still in 30fps so it still looks good. The 1080i on the box is merely the publisher trying to cover themselves against accusations of false advertising.

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']ALL versions of Planet Earth, on both HD DVD and Blu Ray, are 1080P. The UK version mentions 1080i on the box because the extra programs are in 1080i but still in 30fps so it still looks good. The 1080i on the box is merely the publisher trying to cover themselves against accusations of false advertising.[/QUOTE]

The weird thing though is that the specs on the box are split into two sections, listing "Main Features" as 1080i and "Special Features" also as 1080i. It seems that that would have been plenty to cover them.

In any case, I scanned through the first disc and it appears to all be 1080p except for the menu screen. I haven't had time to look at the rest yet.

[quote name='Conroy']The weird thing though is that the specs on the box are split into two sections, listing "Main Features" as 1080i and "Special Features" also as 1080i. It seems that that would have been plenty to cover them.

In any case, I scanned through the first disc and it appears to all be 1080p except for the menu screen. I haven't had time to look at the rest yet.[/quote]

Well, I feel these guys have the right info, so I'm sure the show is in 1080p... but with you checking the first disc, I'm sure the rest of the discs are the same.

[quote name='DestroVega']ok hold on one second here...

I got the set today in the mail... as I look on the back the video format is listed as 1080i... so I think to myself, "that is strange... let me go look at the HD-DVD copy I have to make sure it says 1080i on that set too... the HD DVD has the video listed at 1080p....

so what gives? misprint on the box or what? I don't think I would have replaced my HD DVD version had I known the blu-ray is 1080i, if it is in fact true.[/quote]

Huh? You got it in the mail? I thought there was no mail on MLK day.

[quote name='plastik3000']Huh? You got it in the mail? I thought there was no mail on MLK day.[/quote]

it probably got here Saturday... I don't even check my mailbox everyday

It's actually at just over $34 with current exchange rates.
If I didn't already have the HDDVD version, I'd be all over it.

[quote name='DestroVega']ok hold on one second here...

so what gives? misprint on the box or what? I don't think I would have replaced my HD DVD version had I known the blu-ray is 1080i, if it is in fact true.[/quote]

According to a lot of forums, the main features are all 1080p, but the extras (apparently the 5th disc) is 1080i. Or something along those lines.

so i got my planet earth BD yesterday. it's pretty sweet, but during some scenes there is a really, really distracting flickering white noise that pervades the picture. I'm kind of a stickler for this stuff, so it's driving me absolutely insane. Any of you guys see this too?

I've read a lot of forums on this (which is why I will just stick with my HDDVD version).
From what I have read, the entire thing was shot in 1080i or 720p. There are actually some shots where you can see the camera, and it actually says 720p on the side of the camera.
I've read a lot about some shots being amazing, and other shots being pretty so-so.
I've also read that when this movie was shot, 1080p didn't even exist yet. So any 1080p content (as many HDTVs say on the screen that this is 1080P) is really an up-conversion from 1080i. It was most likely re-mastered from 1080i or 720p, upconverter to 1080P and then burned onto disc.
But honestly, there are so many different theories, and apparent "I'm right and your wrong" claims, that I just say if it looks good to you, enjoy it. If it doesn't, sell it on ebay.

i just ordered one. It went from 24.98 to 21.72 when i added it to the cart, then charged me 3.08 shipping. so for 24.80 = 32.xx shipped to Denver for me.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']i just ordered one. It went from 24.98 to 21.72 when i added it to the cart, then charged me 3.08 shipping. so for 24.80 = 32.xx shipped to Denver for me.[/QUOTE]

That was VAT being subtracted because you aren't buying the item in the UK.
It is totally awesome.

well i just got it yesterday. i popped it in, the video quality IMO is a mixed bag. certain scenes like the mountain ranges, shots of the planet from space waterfalls, close-ups etc are stinkin AMAZING. however other times there is so much noise its almost unbearable for me to think its in Blu ray. maybe my eyes are getting used to the high definition... :(

[quote name='Josehaha60']What carrier does the movie arrive on ? USPS, UPS ???[/quote]

Arrives from USPS.

I also see some strobing in the dark parts of the "Streams" episode. Nothing wrong with your discs. People say it's interference from the helicopter blades, but don't really know.

[quote name='flakko']well i just got it yesterday. i popped it in, the video quality IMO is a mixed bag. certain scenes like the mountain ranges, shots of the planet from space waterfalls, close-ups etc are stinkin AMAZING. however other times there is so much noise its almost unbearable for me to think its in Blu ray. maybe my eyes are getting used to the high definition... :([/quote]
yeah, me too... i've been reading up on it and some people don't get this problem and don't see nearly as much noise as others. i don't know what the deal is

[quote name='flakko']well i just got it yesterday. i popped it in, the video quality IMO is a mixed bag. certain scenes like the mountain ranges, shots of the planet from space waterfalls, close-ups etc are stinkin AMAZING. however other times there is so much noise its almost unbearable for me to think its in Blu ray. maybe my eyes are getting used to the high definition... :([/quote]

No, my HD-DVD version is the same... I think it's just how it was filmed. There's a pretty large range. Some scenes are amazing (mountains, sky, water). Other times, it's horrible, as in the case of the caves disc.

okay good. im not just going crazy. i turned my dnr on high and no dice. i guess i dont blame them...i mean they DID get up close and personal with these animals. Thats an amazing feat in itself :)

[quote name='flakko']okay good. im not just going crazy. i turned my dnr on high and no dice. i guess i dont blame them...i mean they DID get up close and personal with these animals. Thats an amazing feat in itself :)[/quote]
what kind of tv do you have?

i was reading that the DNR and DNie settings on Samsungs has an effect on this. people suggest turning the DNR OFF and messing with the contrast levels, and it should help. I'm gonna try it later on mine.

[quote name='erectiontown']what kind of tv do you have?

i was reading that the DNR and DNie settings on Samsungs has an effect on this. people suggest turning the DNR OFF and messing with the contrast levels, and it should help. I'm gonna try it later on mine.[/quote]

i have a samsung LN46A650... OOOH didnt know that i too will try that as well. thanks for the tip!

bread's done
Back