Planet Earth HD DVD BBC Version $26 shipped from Australia

techstar25

CAGiversary!
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvds/id/1115684
Credit to LeoHouston at FW.

This is the much sought after HD DVD BBC David Attenborough version. It ships from Australia. It's only $26 shipped to the USA. I just bought one.
It's actually $27.98 AUS, which is $26 US.
Apparently the store is a big B&M electronics store in AUS according to a post on FW.

Don't be alarmed that it says Region 4 PAL. HD DVD is region free, and PAL/NTSC is irrelevant for HD DVD.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here is the original thread for more info.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/814031/
At the thread at FW some folks have linked to discussions of the PAL issue, as it seems to be a major point of confusion.

EDIT: For those wondering about shipping. From the website...
As soon as your order is dispatched you will be notified by email. Track and trace information is not available with Air Post packages. International shipments take 2-4 weeks for delivery from the date of dispatch, but allow up to six weeks.

EDIT: All orders appear to be cancelled. Over at Fatwallet, everybody got cancelled as well.

Hope you have a PAL HD-DVD player to play them on. Australia uses PAL, and we use NTSC.

Just checked the link and it's listed as PAL.

Hope you enjoy your paperweight.

[quote name='shrike4242']Hope you have a PAL HD-DVD player to play them on. Australia uses PAL, and we use NTSC.

Hope you enjoy your paperweight.[/quote]

Hope you enjoy missing deals because you can't read an entire post.... :roll:

Thanks OP, I have wanted this set, and I can live with this price,
Oh no it is PAL HD, oh wait, HD is HD no matter where in the world you live..
whew, almost missed out on a great deal.
:cool:

[quote name='shrike4242']Hope you have a PAL HD-DVD player to play them on. Australia uses PAL, and we use NTSC.

Hope you enjoy your paperweight.[/QUOTE]
There is no PAL or NTSC in HD-DVD, they are all encoded the same way. If a product description lists a format, it was likely copied and pasted from the DVD description.

Sadly, they're OOS anyway. Hope they ship airmail, it'll only take a week compared to 6-8 weeks if they ship "economy" (by ship).

[quote name='darylfoot']Hope you enjoy missing deals because you can't read an entire post.... :roll:[/quote]Enjoy my ignore list.

looks like I got in under the wire. Hope I will get it still....

edit: well I got a nice confirmation e-mail telling me it was in stock. (at least when I ordered it), I will be happy to get this one.

[quote name='blackdog60']looks like I got in under the wire. Hope I will get it still....[/quote]

I just ordered mine also.

Since my post vanished...

There is no concern over PAL vs NTSC with HD formats, its all encoded the same way. Also, have it shipped by airmail at a minimum, since the cheapest shipping from Australia takes 6 to 8 weeks via a ship.

[quote name='blackhole82']I just ordered mine also.[/QUOTE]

me too.

i'm lucky i guess. i was doing a bunch of research on the disc as well.
sounds as though it's the same as the UK version, which is 5-discs. we shall see then!

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']
WTF? Instock but not available?
[/URL][/QUOTE]
In stock is meaningless. They're just a drop shipper, they don't even have stock.

It sounds like I'm late to the party anyway but the BBC version is 1080p right?

I'm kinda hoping to get the BBC version on :br: for $40 or less :)

[quote name='freshzen']It sounds like I'm late to the party anyway but the BBC version is 1080p right?[/QUOTE]
Yes it is.

what's the difference of this "BBC planet earth" and the one from the Discovery store? i just bought the discovery version last week.

[quote name='edzbsu']Best explanation found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(TV_series)[/QUOTE]
That explanation leaves out a few things. Primarily that the Discovery version is shorter, being recut to allow for commercials. Also, more subjectively, the Sigourney Weaver commentary has been referred to in some reviews online as "vapid" and "insipid", especially when compared to someone like David Attenborough.

My order was cancelled today. I got an email stating that their supplier was out or something to that effect. Anyone else receive a similar email?

[quote name='blackhole82']My order was cancelled today. I got an email stating that their supplier was out or something to that effect. Anyone else receive a similar email?[/QUOTE]

Yep, got the same email. This sucks...oh well.

This email is to update you on the status of your JB Hi-Fi Online order # 7xxxxx, placed on Mar 7 2008 11:03AM.
Full details of this order are available. click here
ORDERED ITEM(S)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DESCRIPTION: Planet Earth (Complete Series) (HD DVD Set)
AVAILABILITY: Sorry, this item no longer available from selected supplier***.
CURRENT STATUS: DELETED from order

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** We regret that we have not been able to supply this item and we have cancelled your order. We offer these titles for sale in good faith based on our supplier catalogues but occasionally items can become unavailable.
However, in some cases, the same or similar title is available from alternative sources. Because there may be slight differences in the items or the price, we thought it best to give you the choice to re-order the item from our website if a suitable alternative is offered.
JB Hi-Fi Online.

crm.asp

edit I was looking forward to this one. oh well

bread's done
Back