planning on building my first comp

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']here's my final parts list. went a little more over budget than i hoped, but the wife wasn't too mad.
as soon as the last few things get here i can start building. wish me luck.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $194.99)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Purchased For $76.49)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $47.69)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $64.99)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $169.00)
Case: Cougar Volant (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $42.19)
Case Fan: Enermax UCTB12N-BL 53.0 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $8.79)
Case Fan: Xigmatek CLF-F1251 68.3 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $5.59)
Case Fan: Xigmatek CLF-F1251 68.3 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $5.59)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (Purchased For $37.99)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $14.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $79.99)
Other: 2 SATA cables ($3.17)
Total: $751.46[/QUOTE]

Nice motherboard choice! Own it myself :) No aftermarket cpu cooler?

[quote name='madcyantist']Nice motherboard choice! Own it myself :) No aftermarket cpu cooler?[/QUOTE]
no, not planning on overclocking right now so i didn't drop any money on one. maybe in the future. got to get it put together and working before i even start thinking about that.

all the parts have arrived, but i probably won't have time to put it together until this weekend. i bought some arctic silver for the cpu, but when i looked at the fan and heatsink that came with it, it looks like there's already some thermal paste on it. should i try to scrape that stuff off to use the arctic silver or leave it?

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']all the parts have arrived, but i probably won't have time to put it together until this weekend. i bought some arctic silver for the cpu, but when i looked at the fan and heatsink that came with it, it looks like there's already some thermal paste on it. should i try to scrape that stuff off to use the arctic silver or leave it?[/QUOTE]

Remove the pre-applied paste and apply the Arctic Thermal, for sure.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']all the parts have arrived, but i probably won't have time to put it together until this weekend. i bought some arctic silver for the cpu, but when i looked at the fan and heatsink that came with it, it looks like there's already some thermal paste on it. should i try to scrape that stuff off to use the arctic silver or leave it?[/QUOTE]

When removing, use high purity isopropyl alcohol and a lint free disposable rag (Such as a coffee filter) to prevent any impurities from staying behind. Those impurities will cause the heat to be higher than it should if it wasn't properly cleaned. This is due to heat not being transferred to the heatsink properly and thus causes the processor to become hotter as it isn't able to disperse the heat efficiently.

And since this is your first time, I recommended just going by a basic guide found here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

It will help by making sure you don't apply too much and such.

I used a qtip and I think 90% alcohol. Went to CVS and paid a couple bucks for it.

ok, i decided to take back the 3570 and get the 3570k since i could get it for the same price. with that swap i think i might try to do a little overclocking. not alot but just a little. so now i'm in the market for a cpu cooler and have a question. i was looking at a coolermaster hyper 212, or similar model. can those style coolers be mounted in any orientation? since they are just clamped on i would assume so, but i want to find out for sure from someone who has one of those types.
my case has the following fan slots:
2 front - i will use one for intake
1 rear exhaust- came with the case
2 top - planning to use 1 for exhaust
2 side- planning to use 1 for intake
what i want to do is orient the 212 to vent towards the top of the case so that exhaust fan can blow away the hot air and use one of the side fans to intake air to help cool the cpu and was wondering if that kind of cooler setup would work

IT BOOTS!!! IT BOOOOOOOOTS!!!

booted on the first try even. haven't finished getting everything set up yet, but it's assembled, windows is installed, hard drive partitioned, and most of the drivers installed. just need to finish the drivers and install all my programs and it's done. cable management wasn't as clean as i would have hoped, but it's not as badas it could have been. i at least got them all off to the side so they won't block too much airflow. next time i'm definitely gonna go modular.

IMG_20130609_155858.jpg

IMG_20130609_160501.jpg

hmmm....pics don't seem to be working

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back