Plants vs. Zombies for $10 on Steam, going for $20 at Popcap.com

aylien

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hey guys,

Plants v. Zombies, which is horribly addictive, is going for $10 at Steam, even though Popcap itself is selling it for $20. I don't quite understand the price difference, Steam isn't saying that this is a sale price, and you're paying for the same downloadable game.

Perhaps this is an error on Steam's part, and the price might move up to $20 before long? Regardless, it's good value at $10.

Of course, if this is how the price is supposed to be, and this isn't a deal, please close this thread.

Yeah... I bought it on PopCap and minutes later discovered the price on Steam. I was pretty PO'd... Then I realized that with the PopCap purchase, you can put the game on 5 computers, and I think Steam only allows one.

So yes, if you are only looking to have it on one computer, Steam is the way to go. I'm just happy to have the game on my desktop and netbook.

It's been known for some time, same price as the pre-order price. The same applies to most of popcap's other games, such as Peggle. My only guess is that Popcap's site preys on people who don't do research like Steam, and Steam users are generally more tech savyy and can find websites like this which wait for sales. By just selling instantly at a lower price, they hit both markets.

[quote name='tkidsterj']Yeah... I bought it on PopCap and minutes later discovered the price on Steam. I was pretty PO'd... Then I realized that with the PopCap purchase, you can put the game on 5 computers, and I think Steam only allows one.

So yes, if you are only looking to have it on one computer, Steam is the way to go. I'm just happy to have the game on my desktop and netbook.[/quote]

Where did you hear this? Steam, in general, has unlimited computer support unless third party DRM specifically restricts it. I don't see anything on the store page stating this, so do you have a source?

I bought this game last night.. played it for nearly 4 hours straight.. it is stupid fun. haha, i loved it. Highly recommend you at least download the demo off steam, which is an hour of the full game.

Normal price on Steam. Not really a deal.

[quote name='ddrpower']Where did you hear this? Steam, in general, has unlimited computer support unless third party DRM specifically restricts it. I don't see anything on the store page stating this, so do you have a source?[/QUOTE]

tkidsterj is a nub, ignore his post. The Steam version has no such installation limitations.

i picked it up this week, too. super-fun.

as mentioned above, for some reason steam sells popcap games for less than popcap.com. i also bought bookworm adventures off steam because it was $10 as opposed to popcap.com's $20. so while it's not exactly a deal because it's just regular price on steam, it's worth pointing out to people who might be looking to buy it.

wouldn't the only limitation on steam would be that you have to log in to play? Since 2 steam accounts can't be logged in together (my account and I am on my computer, my sister trying to log in my account to play something), I believe.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']wouldn't the only limitation on steam would be that you have to log in to play? Since 2 steam accounts can't be logged in together (my account and I am on my computer, my sister trying to log in my account to play something), I believe.[/quote]

I believe there's a way to play offline with Steam but I've never tried. Anybody?

Yes, if you start up Steam and you're not connected to the internet, you are given the option of going into offline mode. Unless you're playing an online game like Left 4 Dead, you don't need to be online to play games you've downloaded via Steam.

[quote name='aylien']Yes, if you start up Steam and you're not connected to the internet, you are given the option of going into offline mode. Unless you're playing an online game like Left 4 Dead, you don't need to be online to play games you've downloaded via Steam.[/QUOTE]

dude I did not know this, thanks. That's good, I was thinking I needed internet to play 24/7 hah awesome, made my choice for steam version even better

bread's done
Back