Plasma or LCD

mikeyg76

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,

I am looking into buying either a 42in LCD or 42in Plasma for DVD's and X360. I know some people say that LCD's are better for gaming, but are they really? I would like anyone would has any opinion to comment thanks!!!

Well, at 42" the plasma is going to be cheaper. As for the rest of it, I guess it's personal preference. Plasmas usually have more vibrant colors to begin with but over time they fade a lot. They also use more electricity and are hotter than LCDs. I've watched both side by side and thought they looked about the same. I have an LCD myself. Plasmas seem to be on the way out. LCDs are poised to become the mainstream flat panel TV for the next couple of years and then be pushed aside by SED TVs when they are affordable.

My girlfriend just bought a 37" LCD this past weekend. The picture on it was incredible. Her parents have a plasma. It's really personal preference after a while. I'd buy a LCD myself, but I already have an HD LCD projector.

My LCD 32 inch is sweet. But I just wish the viewing angle was better. I hear that newer LCDs have pretty good viewing angles now though.

another vote for LCD. I have a 27" widescreen LCD TV and my 360 games look gorgeous on it.

is Plasma still susceptible to burn-in?

I actually recommend CRT if you can afford the space and have the manpower to transport it, but those don't go beyond 37". They do give the truest black and best picture quality, along with no native resolution constraints and lowest price.

Between the two you listed, LCD. Plasma is nice but comes with too many caveats...fading over time and a higher risk of burn-in top the list.

The fading over time "issue" is something that won't happen to decent plasmas until they reach their half-life, which is at least 10 years. Personally I can't stand LCD's. This generation Plasma tv's are finally achieving the black levels of CRT's and arguably have better picture quality (and of course larger sizes). If you can afford it, a good quality Plasma (e.g. Panasonic) will stomp all over the best LCDs.

I actually recommend CRT if you can afford the space and have the manpower to transport it, but those don't go beyond 37". They do give the truest black and best picture quality, along with no native resolution constraints and lowest price.

QFT, except the over 37" part. The large screen CRT RPTVs can produce a better image than the smaller direct views, I don't understand why you say that.

As a long time semi-videophile, I MUCH prefer anything over LCD. I think LCD is a terrible technology for larger displays. Bad black levels, motion blur, you name it.

I rate them this way:

Front Projector > Rear Projector CRT > Plasma/DLP > LCD

I have a RPTV which takes up a lot of space, but still puts out a better picture than many newer Plasma/DLP/LCD TVs that are newer and my TV is five years old. The primary draw for the Plasma/DLP/LCD stuff is space and weight reduction. Personally, I hope to get a front projector within a few years.

I have 2 32" LCD TV's (A Panasonic and a Sharp Aquos). I highly recommend the Panasonic LCD for your XBOX 360. For some reason, I can actually se a little motion blur with the Sharp.

Just make sure if you are going to watch TV, you get the HD broadcasts. Regular coaxial cable TV looks like S#!t.

[quote name='flashburn']The fading over time "issue" is something that won't happen to decent plasmas until they reach their half-life, which is at least 10 years. Personally I can't stand LCD's. This generation Plasma tv's are finally achieving the black levels of CRT's and arguably have better picture quality (and of course larger sizes). If you can afford it, a good quality Plasma (e.g. Panasonic) will stomp all over the best LCDs.[/quote]

QFT. To me there is no comparison - LCDs are nice but you have to be sitting across from it to see anything. I also notice a little more blurring on LCDs but that might just be me. As far as burn-in and PQ there is really nothing to worry about. This was a problem with early model plasmas that has been corrected for quite some time. Of course, I'm probably biased as I own a Panasonic HD Plasma and It's the single greatest purchase I've ever made in my life. I haven't had one second of regret.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']so pretty much plasma from the people who own plasmas, and lcds from the people who own lcds[/quote]

Exactly. Except the LCD people are wrong. ;)

I don't own either but I vote LCD. Burn in can happen at any time on plasma if you leave the same screen on pause or have static menus or graphics for too long. DLP has too many problems with lag, especially the Samsung models. IGN has an article on this.

LCDs with response times of 16ms & 600:1 contrast ratio, you might be able to detect the screen-door effect and motion blur.

LCDs with response times of 8ms & 800:1 contrast ratio are less prone to the effects mentioned above.

lower response time is better, higher contrast ratio is better.

Thanks everyone!.. i am still on the fence... i really like the crisp look of a plasma, every LCD i see looks kinda grainy..... maybe its just the signal that the stores are pushing through it... i do like the fact that LCD's wont fade and have no burn-in problems.. ahhh so confusing! :)

You could go either way to be honest, anything bigger than 42 inches I'd say go plasma, smaller I'd say LCD, but at 42 in you could go either way. I think it would come down to weighing factors between the individuals at this point because both plasmas and LCDs have their cons for gaming.

LCDs of larger size typically produce a softer, less sharp image when running in 480i/p in particular, they are slightly more expensive at this size as well, and they often have narrower veiwing angles (not so much an issue for gaming though).

Plasmas do have a potentional for burn-in (though not as bad as it was), they generally have fewer connection options, and they typically have lower native resolutions than LCDs (that has been improved as well somehwat but a 1080p plasma will cost you an arm and a leg more than a 1080p LCD or projection at the moment).

So in the end I'd say look at the options and features of the individual sets because both technologies have their little caveats. If something has much better connection options, or better speakers (if you around using a SS setup), or does video processing cause lag, or does it has better black levels, or color control and contrast, or better menu options for easy adjeustments, etc. I'd be looking for things of those nature. A suggestion maybe to take you 360 with you and hook it into the TVs you are looking at, this way you get the best idea of what the picture will look like for your gaming before you take it home. The vast majority of TV sales people will oblige you particularly if it is a larger more expensive set, if the hesitate tell them your thinking about buying service (you dont have too in the end) and that generally lets you get away with more.

[quote name='Purkeynator']DLP has too many problems with lag, especially the Samsung models. IGN has an article on this.[/QUOTE]

The lag has nothing to with the technology of DLP, it is about how the HD sets often process and scale video signals.

Plasma has burnin problems still. if your getting a TV for video games, DO NOT get a Plasma. Surf some forums and you will still see it is still an issue.

Or just wait until Nov when the LCD crash happens thats all over the news.

Bleh I say screw both and either get an SED or a CRT now for the time being. Best black levels and NO flaws except burn-in. If size is a problem SED cures that as well, thin thing.
edit: Aigoo this fucking spelling! X-(

[quote name='Sarang01']Bleh I saw screw both and either get an SED or a CRT now for the time being. Best black levels and NO flaws except burn-in. If size is a problem SED cures that as well, thin thing.[/quote]

After googling, it looks like no one is selling SED yet. Supposedly if you can find one prepare to sell all your organs and first born to afford it

Use your own eyes, see what you think looks the best. Compare them side by side if possible. Or, just forget about both and get an SXRD.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']After googling, it looks like no one is selling SED yet. Supposedly if you can find one prepare to sell all your organs and first born to afford it[/QUOTE]

It beats inferior tv technologies like these though.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I have both (LCD/Plasma) and TO ME it really comes down to "Matte or glossy, which do you prefer?"[/quote]

Glossy :applause: , but Sometimes Matte looks better

[quote name='Sarang01']It beats inferior tv technologies like these though.[/quote]

There's no point as long as you can't buy them. And the first models out will be $10,000+. As for LCD v. Plasma I would wait until the next crop of LCDs come out if you can afford it. 10,000:1+ contrast ratio, 1080p, and higher brightness. I'm still planning to sell my 40" XBR to my mom when the native 1080p LCDs come down to ~$3000.

[quote name='Stuka']There's no point as long as you can't buy them. And the first models out will be $10,000+. As for LCD v. Plasma I would wait until the next crop of LCDs come out if you can afford it. 10,000:1+ contrast ratio, 1080p, and higher brightness. I'm still planning to sell my 40" XBR to my mom when the native 1080p LCDs come down to ~$3000.[/QUOTE]

50thou:1 beats that. Come ON dude I would expect you to stick it out until SED's come out since you have an XBR.

[quote name='Sarang01']It beats inferior tv technologies like these though.[/quote]

No offense man, but have you seen one up close in person with your own eyes?

To me, all it looks like is facts and specs on paper so far

[quote name='Sarang01']50thou:1 beats that. Come ON dude I would expect you to stick it out until SED's come out since you have an XBR.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I wasn't gonna say it but it's nagging me so... I think I speak for most when I say, we get it already. You think SED is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So, now can you please stop going on and on about it and bringing it up in every single discussion involving TV purchases?

Honestly though do you work for Toshiba or something though? Because I see no other reason you'd ride that pony so hard and going on and on about a technology that hasn't even touched real mass production let alone the entire market and is totally unproven. Sure it looks good on papaer right now, but I mean have you even personally seen one in action yet? Have you seen the final products they plan on bringing to stores? Talking about SED lends nothing to the discussion about helping someone currently select an HDTV. It's not even practical, as the C in CAG stands for cheap, in other words mostly a group of people not willing to drop possibly $5000 on a TV. I mean no offesne but I just think that your personal hype machine would have a much better home at the AVS forums or something.

Bleh I say screw both and either get an SED or a CRT now for the time being. Best black levels and NO flaws except burn-in.
Yeah, well, nobody seems to be listening to us. CRT is EASILY the best bang for the buck, providing some of the best picture quality at the cheapest price, the only trade-off is size and weight. I've had my RPTV CRT for five years, gamed heavily on it, and had no burn-in either.

I'm considering getting a hdtv and this thread was sure interesting to read. I think I am leaning towards lcd for my xbox 360 and in the future, the PS3.

The wife let me purchase the 40" Sony XBR LCD and I can't imagine a better picture from ALL ANGLES!! Black levels are getting better and I haven't really noticed that problem on mine. No motion blur either. Then again someone will probably slam me for buying a Sony, or an LCD, or whatever. Bottom line is you have to go with your eyes and what they see. Buy you do have to take the time to adjust the set. Some people don't do that and that's why they are down on LCD's.

The wife let me purchase the 40" Sony XBR LCD and I can't imagine a better picture from ALL ANGLES!! Black levels are getting better and I haven't really noticed that problem on mine. No motion blur either. Then again someone will probably slam me for buying a Sony, or an LCD, or whatever. Bottom line is you have to go with your eyes and what they see. Buy you do have to take the time to adjust the set. Some people don't do that and that's why they are down on LCD's.

[quote name='mmercer13']The wife let me purchase the 40" Sony XBR LCD and I can't imagine a better picture from ALL ANGLES!! Black levels are getting better and I haven't really noticed that problem on mine. No motion blur either. Then again someone will probably slam me for buying a Sony, or an LCD, or whatever. Bottom line is you have to go with your eyes and what they see. Buy you do have to take the time to adjust the set. Some people don't do that and that's why they are down on LCD's.[/QUOTE]
NICE! Wish I had the money for a 40" XBR LCD. :envious:

Here's the skinny on plasmas versus LCDs.

Plasmas generally have a better contrast ratio, colors and viewing angles than lcd. Plasma half life for the newer models is roughly 60,000 hours. That means after 60,000 hours, it'll be half as bright as when you first bought it. This is similar to ratings for backlights on lcds. Backlights on LCDs aren't always replaceable so its a toss up there. Plasmas also have a sheet of glass in the display so it will be highly reflective, depending on your room lighting this could be a big no no.

Plasmas below 50" are usually either 1024x1024 resolution or 1024x728. They stay widescreen by using rectangular pixels. You can't really tell by looking that it's a lower resolution than most lcds in that size range. Where it does become a problem is when you want to hook up a computer to your display. If you use a dvi to hdmi cable the tv will scale the picture to fit the widescreen. you'll have to play around with your resolutions a bit to get it the correct aspect ratio. Some sets have a vga input and that is more fiddly because the tv wont scale the picture in the same way.

Plasmas have a 100 hour breaking in period during which you shouldnt set your contrast or brightness too high. After that you're golden. Burn in is a possibility, but newer sets are less susceptible, some even wobble the image a little if it notices that you're displaying a static image. After playing games for a while you may see an after image of health bars or something but this will go away when you watch other stuff as long as you aren't insane.

You'll have to decide what is more important to you. With an LCD you wont have to worry about burn in ever. So you can hook up your pc and use it for hours without worrying that you're burning in the start button. LCDs are usually higher resolution. As far as I know there are no plasmas that can really do 1080p if thats important to you. resolution on even a 50" plasma is only roughly 1300something by 1000 something and nowhere near the 1920x1080 you will get in a true 1080P lcd. The worst thing about LCDs are the cost. For the same screen size they are thousands more expensive than their plasma counterparts (assuming you get a good brand).

I spent months researching and eventually went with a 42" plasma for roughly 2800 bucks. LCDs were just too expensive. I have no regrets about getting the plasma, image quality is great and I play games on it without worrying. my brother once fell asleep and left the TV displaying a static dvd menu all night and I got no burn in.

edit:
I noticed someone mentioned a CRT rear projection set so I thought i'd say something about rear projection HDTVs.
You can get a 60" dlp rear projection tv in the neighborhood of 3000 bucks. My experiance is kind of limited but I've seen the Sony 60" DLP and it looks really good. Viewing angles arent enough of a problem that I've ever noticed it at this dude's house. I have another friend who has a panasonic 60" set and he's had to replace his bulb twice and viewing angles were horrid, if i stood up the screen got really dark, if i sat on the floor , same thing. I think they're really YMMV so I would try to avoid them if you can. Another friend has a samsung 42" DLP and it is ungameable due to video lag. From what I've seen image quality from LCDs and Plasmas beat DLP RPTVs so I'd stick with them even though they cost more.

[quote name='mikeyg76']Thanks everyone!.. i am still on the fence... i really like the crisp look of a plasma, every LCD i see looks kinda grainy..... maybe its just the signal that the stores are pushing through it... i do like the fact that LCD's wont fade and have no burn-in problems.. ahhh so confusing! :)[/QUOTE]

The more you know about hdtvs, the harder it gets to decide.
I saw a post someone made in frustration at the avsforum, (site dedicated to tvs and home theater, you should check it out) Basically, he said never in the history of consumer electronics has buying anything been as complicated as buying an HDTV. Its easy to fall prey to paralysis by analysis, in the end, I think its best to just trust your eyes and get the best TV you can afford.

[quote name='Milkyman']The more you know about hdtvs, the harder it gets to decide.
I saw a post someone made in frustration at the avsforum, (site dedicated to tvs and home theater, you should check it out) Basically, he said never in the history of consumer electronics has buying anything been as complicated as buying an HDTV. Its easy to fall prey to paralysis by analysis, in the end, I think its best to just trust your eyes and get the best TV you can afford.[/quote]

Thanks for your imput... i am leaning toward a 42in LCD right now... My father has a 42 in Plasma Panasonic and it is beautiful... i played oblivion on my old Xbox 360 on it and i was way impressed.... but its true, in the day time if you have windows in your room you do get a nice glare... but i think it will prolly be just as bad with an LCD because of the video "washing" because of the light? Thanks

burn in is possible with any plasma but unless you're playing the same game for hours a day and not watching or playing anything else I don't think you need to worry about it too much

don't forget, several large LCDs have PIP (picture-in-picture) via split-screens (not sure about plasma); great for 2 sources: such as gaming and TV, or gaming & gaming via LAN. yeah, it's crazy!

bread's done
Back