Plaxico Burress shot..... by Plaxico Burress!

burressbullet.gif

I know New York gun laws are strict, but it seems stupid to me. Ok, so he didn't have a permit, and people could argue that he shouldn't have gone to a nightclub to begin with if he thought danger might appear (why else would have have the gun with him), but it's just retarded. Sure, he's retarded for shooting himself in the leg, but it's not like he had the intention to kill anybody or something. Being a celebrity, I would think one could understand where he's coming from, but whatever.

It's a bit harsh.

A penalty is deserved since he had a gun illegally, and especially since it went off and he's lucky that he only injured himself. But 2 years is a bit much for what's basically a case of illegal possession and negligence.

It's not harsh. It's stupid. Gun laws in NY are stupid. He legally had the gun as far as another state (I forget exactly which) was concerned. It's the ridiculous inconsistencies in the laws that make this sentence stupid. Somebody needs to straighten out the gun laws and fast.

He might deserve some time, especially since he tried to cover it up, but that was only because of the ridiculous NY gun laws. If this happened in the state he was licensed to have the gun in, the sentence wouldn't be nearly as stupid.

So Vick got 23 months, served 19, for dogfighting and Burress gets 24 for gun possession and ended up shooting himself. Yeah...I'm not seeing how the two crimes are equal to roughly the same amount of jail time.

Anyone who is saying, "He only shot himself" or "It's not like anyone else got shot" are completely missing the point the he obviously was not handling the gun correctly and that in itself opens up the possibility that someone else COULD have gotten shot. I wouldn't even attempt the broach the subject of whether preventative laws are effective or a good idea but the bottom line is:
1) His gun was not registered in NY
2) His permit from FL was expired
3) He was responsible for a gun discharging in a nightclub

Is two years excessive? I don't know.. what's the sentence for someone who commits involuntary manslaughter? (And don't bring up Vick or Stallworth, as the ONLY similarity in these three cases are that they are NFL players).

bread's done
Back