Play Me at West Edmonton Mall

arnoldrimmer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (96%)
Took a trip to the mall today and I checked out Play Me and they have signs posted bragging about lower prices and this time it's actually true. I saw many prices that were lower than Gamestop and I picked up Transformers: War for Cybertron for 10 bucks!

So just a heads up to anyone in Edmonton that it's actually worthwhile to check out Play Me if you are at the mall.

will check them out on sunday when i work :D

thanks.

only been in there few times, at times they would have nice deals on older gen (ps2) games and such, but really nothing worth mentioning.

I remember them having labelled all the Final Fantasy's for PS1 as 'Imports' when they were North American releases...Also remember they were over $100 a pop...Should check them out if things have changed.

Also, why don't we have an Edmonton social group??lol.

I was sure at one time that the store was a front for laundering money. They have the highest prices in the city. They have been in WEM for over a decade (the most expensive rental space in Alberta/Canada) and they never sell anything. They have all their old stock and staff 3-4 people at a time.

I once inquire why a component cable was $100 when I could buy it anywhere else for $30. They said "well then go buy it there" and hung up on me. Guess they don't need customers either.

I think there was probably a time when they did pretty well thanks to out-of-town shoppers. People from places like Fort McMurray and Grande Prairie who made the trip to shop and, obviously, made the mall destination No. 1.

They probably lost that market some time ago, though, as those communities' retail landscapes improved. But I'm sure there were still people from smaller communities partaking in their wares. (Although even that is probably a long gone customer base thanks to the advent of the small-town Walmart)

I visited Edmonton (from Ontario) and remember that store. They actually had a decent selection of older stuff, but yeah, the prices are horrid.... I saw FF7 Ps1 and it was 99.99... I told the guy these are higher than eBay prices and he said I was lying. There must be fools who are willing to pay above global prices for stuff because like someone else said already.. I was the only guy in the store for 15 minutes

Well, the going rumor is/was that the guy that owned that store had some kind of in with the Ghermezian brothers (or was actually related to them somehow). Because of this he's been able to keep his store in that location in the mall (very prime, right by the ice palace) and pay a minimal fee for rent.

Let me take all you Edmontonians on a little trip on the way back machine through the history of West Edmonton Mall and video game stores. Back in the early 80s, there were 3 video game stores in the mall originally, "Play Me" (which was called something else at the time), and 2 locations of a store called "Electro T's". From what I've heard, all these stores were owned by the same person (I believe the father of the current owner of Play Me). They all dealt primarily in PC games, but also sold console games (atari, intellivision, coleco, etc... I believe Electro T's was already closed down before the Nintendo era). Anyway, eventually the 2 Electro T's shut down, and we were left with Play Me as the only video game store in the mall.

Around this time, another Edmonton video game store chain opened up in the mall, "Trade and Play", which would later have its name changed to "Virtual Reality". In talking to a guy that used to work at this store, I heard that when Virtual Reality was in the mall, all the owner of Play Me ever used to do was give them hell and try to get them to move farther away from his store, leave the mall, etc etc. I'm not really clear on the particulars here (mostly because I can't remember the story I was told), but eventually Virtual Reality shut down, and again Play Me was the only video game store left in the mall. Another rumor I heard is at this point, the owner of Play Me made some kind of deal with the mall that he would be the only "video game" retailer allowed in the mall.

Now, while this might sound sketchy and strange, keep in mind that West Edmonton Mall, a huge market, didn't get an Electronics Boutique/EB Games/Gamestop until 2010, when even smaller market malls (like Sherwood Park Mall) have had one for years.

So, it seems like whatever exclusivity deal the guy had has now expired, and he's been forced into the position of selling his games (mostly) for affordable prices, instead of crap like selling "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" for $79.99 used.

I think the biggest problem with "Play Me" and their prices is that they've had such a long run of being the only real game retailer in the mall (besides Zellers and Radio Shack), and felt that they didn't really need to worry about their prices. Also, I get the feeling that the owner doesn't even really like games very much, nor have much interest in comparing how they should be priced, etc. This is why you'll almost always see games from popular series (like Final Fantasy) retaining crazy prices, where rarer/non-popular games (eg, I picked up KoF 12 there for $19.99 used soon after it first came out.. where the normal used price was around $54.99) have completely unpredictable prices.

Take all of this with a grain of salt. Some of it is based on a conversation I had with a guy that used to work at the previously mentioned "Virtual Reality", and the rest is really based on rumor and growing up being an arcade addict/video game freak in Edmonton and noticing/remembering most of these things. I'm not really sure how true it all is, but there certainly must be some reason he's been able to keep that prime retail space when the traffic in the store is so obviously low (about 10 years ago the place was trying to change their business model and were selling a ton of used CD's/VHS tapes in hopes in bringing in more customers).

I still poke my head in there every now and again. Occasionally they will have some pretty decent deals hidden among all their overpriced junk. Scouring their used games sometimes pays off (as like I said, the prices can sometimes just be wonky... and "wonk" in your favor). Another good thing about "Play Me", is that they will generally put stuff out on the shelves as soon as they get it, street date be damned (they had FFXIII out 4 or 5 days early).

Honestly, my best memory of "Play Me" was back when Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past came out for the SNES. Every single store in the whole city was sold out of it on the release day (or, they didn't have it in stock yet, knowing Edmonton), and "Play Me" was the last one I called. And they had it in stock! And they held it for me! So... no matter what people say, I have fond memories of them for that. Ahh the good old days.

Trade and Play...Didn't they end up calling themselves T&P Games? If so I fondly remember buying a lot of PC and Sega Master System games from them back in Heritage Mall...

Also remember getting my hands on a BUNCH of PC games when Virtual Reality was still kicking on 99th Street and 38th ave...Or prior to that when it was where Memory Express southside is...If memory serves, of course. lol.

Just two points to add. Compusmart used to be a good place to get games, though their selection was pretty small.

Also, HMV has a massive games section, and has for quite a few years. Upper level, far left corner.

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']Just two points to add. Compusmart used to be a good place to get games, though their selection was pretty small.

Also, HMV has a massive games section, and has for quite a few years. Upper level, far left corner.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I actually just remembered the existence of Compusmart after I finished writing up that missive. They were actually a different store before Compusmart took them over, but the name is escaping me (Compucenter maybe...).

Just to clarify, the story I heard was that they had some kind of contract disallowing other "video game" retailers from opening up shop in the mall. I'm guessing that wouldn't have applied to Compusmart because they were basically a hardware retailer that also happened to sell games. Same kind of thing with HMV.

I know it sounds sketchy, and I don't have any proof of it, besides a half remembered conversation with the guy I met that used to manage/work at Virtual Reality.

It could explain why it took EB/Gamestop so long to get their hooks into the mall though (which does seem strange).

And yup, Trade and Play became T&P, which became Virtual Reality. I miss that place. It was a really cool store, and they seemed to put lots of effort into hiring staff that actually played games.

And I totally remember that T&P in Heritage as well. I remember that whole mall just being awesome. Probably rose colored glasses getting in the way but still... too bad it, well... died.

Yes T&P was all over (North Town, South memory express, Millwoods Town Center)...bought my first NES deluxe set at North Town. It was VR for a short while then it vanished.

There was a guy who opened a North side game store (at 137 Ave and 113A St) who went out of business around the same time. I remember I would scour the city for Sega stuff. His place and VR were two of the best, but right before he closed he showed me his numbers for buying and selling. Big stores like Superstore and FS were selling merchandise for cheaper than he could buy it. That's why he closed and probably why TP/VR closed as well. They just didn't have the purchasing power.

Guess that's why Play Me always didn't make sense. All the best stores vanished and they survived even though everyone I knew wouldn't shop there.

What is that video game store name at Millwoods Town Centre? Month or 2 ago I was there looking for Warp 3, and I spotted this vg store. I walked in to have a look at what they have for sale. They had some old consoles, some rare snes game for sale, and other recent titles.

[quote name='retro.elite']What is that video game store name at Millwoods Town Centre? Month or 2 ago I was there looking for Warp 3, and I spotted this vg store. I walked in to have a look at what they have for sale. They had some old consoles, some rare snes game for sale, and other recent titles.[/QUOTE]

Is that "Game City" or something like that? I believe there's one at Londonderry Mall as well. It's actually a pretty decent place, especially if you're looking for rare/retro stuff. And their used/newer system prices aren't too shabby either.

[quote name='Ouisch']Is that "Game City" or something like that? I believe there's one at Londonderry Mall as well. It's actually a pretty decent place, especially if you're looking for rare/retro stuff. And their used/newer system prices aren't too shabby either.[/QUOTE]

If I'm looking for rare/retro stuff, I'll go to NexWave. Better prices, better retro knowledge. Not to mention, they seem kinda out to lunch on some pricing: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Used Price of $49.99 @ Game City. ....Isn't it $2.99 at EB?

bread's done
Back