Play N Trade: RETRO MONTH - 20% extra crediti/20% off Retro Games (YMMV)

bingbangboom

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
85x11_Retro_Month_Flier.jpg

Play N Trade Videogames is now running RETRO MONTH

- 20% extra trade in credit on all retro games
- 20% off all retro games
- Save $5 on Retro Entertainment System (NES) or Retro Duo (SNES/NES)

Check www.playntrade.com for a local store

Check with store on what they may or may not consider "retro", PS1 may not be considered retro but N64 is. So it may vary store to store.

Edit: YMMV, but if you print the image above out they would typically honor it. Best thing to do is to ask or call ahead of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this would be a YMMV deal. I can't be entirely sure about it, but I know that the stores in my area aren't too keen on letting old NES/SNES stuff go for more than 10% off. They hardly get enough trade ins to sedate the demand at that price, let alone 20% off. They also aren't ever up to speed with the deals corporate puts out. They all mostly just stick to their own coupons/deals.

The only Play N Trade I know of has only been open about six months. Their selection sucks. I hope the extra credit gets people to trade in more classic games.

I just got a flyer in the mail about a new Play N Trade that opened up. Have some coupons like 25% extra on all trade-ins.

I wouldn't mind checking the place out, but I'm just worried their trade in values would blow. Anyone have any experiences with trade in values from a Play N Trade?

[quote name='Blinkster']I just got a flyer in the mail about a new Play N Trade that opened up. Have some coupons like 25% extra on all trade-ins.

I wouldn't mind checking the place out, but I'm just worried their trade in values would blow. Anyone have any experiences with trade in values from a Play N Trade?[/QUOTE]

From my experience, they tend to be higher actually. I traded in some Wii games there instead of Gamestop and got a higher value (and I mean higher, in gamestop I would had gotten 9 dollars, in Play N Trade I got 21 O_O). Not sure on the retro stuff though, then again is not like there is that many places that take old games in trade-in.

Play n Trade near me closed last year. They sucked, but I didn't know they had retro games, all I saw was a copy of madden 05 for ten dollars too much.

The main reason they are running this promotion is the hope that you know they do retro games so later on in the year you come back even if there is not a discount. The thing is I am surprised at how many kids LOVE retro games. I have kids begging for a Nintendo 64 and sell them as soon as I get them in. They are totally into the older games and I have no idea why. One kid is trying to collect all the N64 wrestling games and even bought WWF Warzone just to see what wrestlers were on it. This game came out I think before he was born. I had to break it to him that the Hardy Boyz were not in the game.

You know, it wasn't till just a few days ago I realized the N64 still has some decent value. I have passed on so many over the years at good will ^_^;

I guess I'll print it out and check out my Play N' Trade tomorrow if I have some free time. Last time I tried going there I was turned away since they were a week from opening.

Unfortunately, our PNT closed down after 6 months of operation......it was a pretty cool store but you just cant open up a game store that is literally sandwiched by 2 gamestops within 5 miles of each other as well as being sandwiched by walmart and target in the same range....

The Play n Trade's where I live are closing. Not that it bothers me because their games are over priced (New 360/PS3 games are 64.99! Wii, 54.99!) and the selection stunk. The only thing good about them was they had Mario Kart Wii and NO ONE else had them in stock except for PNT and I paid 54.99...worth it, but still over priced.

My local PnT also sucks because WiiFit was $ 114.99. $ 25 above MSRP for a GS like store is too much... I understand if it's a mom and pop store. That store is in Irvine, by PnT Corporate Office..

[quote name='62t']Sadly the local PnT closed too[/quote]

That's funny you guys. Three new Play N Trades opened up by me in the last nine months.

LOL, there are a few in the northern LA area, I might have to check them out. Unfortunately, from the sound of things in this topic, this franchising chain won't be around much longer. New games for over MSRP??? Yikes...

How much are RetroDuos at PNT? I want the silver one but I'll just go the eBay route probably. Mostly everyone carries the white/blue and black/red only.

PnT is awsome! those or you that haven't been there should go check it out it is 10X better than gamestop. And pertaining to the trade in the way they do it is if they only have a few copies of the game in stock the trade in value will be higher but if they have a crap load then they lower the trade in value allot. Plus since it is a privately owned store some times you could get a cool manager that would just give like 10% off.

As the user above me said. Most of the PnT stores are franchises and it all depends on the owners. Just because the prices are over MSRP at one store, it doesn't mean it'll be at other stores. I believe there are only couple of corporate stores and they are usually the ones that do a lot of midnight launching when it comes to popular games.

The one close to me has the same MSRP price that everyone else had. Although I don't have any other experience at that store because I usually go to Gamestop for the B2G1 sale and online for most games.

Pricings at PnT stores aren't universal? My local PnT likes to overcharge their NES games (FF1 for $32.99! the store I work doesn't sell it for that much). Guess I'll print this out and take to mine to see if they're participating. Time to grab some more DC games atleast.

Our PNT is trying its hardest to have the best selection of everything at the best possible price without going out of business. Some games we will lose money on just to have in our store but we do so for the RETRO Fans out there (including Peter an owner here so you know we have it all!) We sell our Retro Duo for $49 and can get all 3 colors. We also have a portable NES player that also hooks to a TV. FC Moblie at our cost! Remeber that every PNT is privately owned like stated above and we are in Chalfont PA not CA where there are tons of the 1st gen stores. Saleem and I just opened up in the last few months and are eager to earn CAG's good standings!

Thanks,
Drew

My PnT uses ebay for prices on the older stuff. They sometimes go a little lower than it but not always. So I tend not to buy from there. Also the selection of games in general pales in comparison to GS. The only advantage of PnT is that they carry older classic games and systems. Well that, and you can try out any game before you buy it.

[quote name='Blinkster']I just got a flyer in the mail about a new Play N Trade that opened up. Have some coupons like 25% extra on all trade-ins.

I wouldn't mind checking the place out, but I'm just worried their trade in values would blow. Anyone have any experiences with trade in values from a Play N Trade?[/quote]

One opened by me right before the holidays.
I have found their trade in values much higher.
For example I was going to trade in GH III (ps2) and 2 ps2 guitars at gamestop and they offered 10 bucks for the game and 1 buck for each guitar (this is with my edge 10%)...play n trade gave me 38 for all three with my membership 10%.

I like the stores a lot better - and the fact that they have retro games is awesome (I've so far bought Zelda: Majora's Mask, Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, and Pokemon Stadium) - the latter two I bought with the 20% deal

Everything from pricing to TIV varies from store to store. One of the owners in my area has two stores and there is even pricing discrepancies between those.

Older stores, if their owned by people who go straight off the POS prices, will have rare retro games for terribly under eBay price, while newer stores using the POS will be more on the ball. I think it has something to do with how the POS updates.

This deal is definitely going to be YMMV, though. I know none of the stores in my area (Raleigh, NC) will be participating. One of the stores will only ever give 20% off to people who work in the games industry (I got 20% off all games when I was a tester at Epic).

At the local mall there was a sign that said PnT is "coming soon" but no one done anything and I guess they give up

[quote name='62t']At the local mall there was a sign that said PnT is "coming soon" but no one done anything and I guess they give up[/quote]

The newest store near me had a coming soon sign on it for 10 months before it finally opened. I think they're very slow opening these things.

The problem with my PnT was that the owner tried to run it like gamestop. That didnt work so well. Throw in the fact that they never had new releases available on release day and you have a recipe for disaster.

PNT is an absolute YMMV, only because it's a franchise. I stopped going to mine, when I was denied a fully boxed copy of fuck for the Super Nintendo, for a dollar. I had no cash and wanted to use my debit card.

i agree PNT is YMMV. some stores just prices things a little too crazy.. i dont know how they survive. but today i was able to use that 20% discount on some stuff. thanks op.

btw, the clerk didnt even know about it i had to point out it was from the website, he checked and he said they are having it if its on the website. but why isn't the store aware of this though.. weird

[quote name='bingbangboom']The main reason they are running this promotion is the hope that you know they do retro games so later on in the year you come back even if there is not a discount. The thing is I am surprised at how many kids LOVE retro games. I have kids begging for a Nintendo 64 and sell them as soon as I get them in. They are totally into the older games and I have no idea why. One kid is trying to collect all the N64 wrestling games and even bought WWF Warzone just to see what wrestlers were on it. This game came out I think before he was born. I had to break it to him that the Hardy Boyz were not in the game.[/QUOTE]

for PnT to work, they really, really need to get people to trade in their retro games. they need to offer competitive trade in prices (vs. ebay) as well as competitive sales prices (again, vs. ebay)... another thing i would *love* for them to do is mark prices based on completeness/condition of game, but that will probably never happen.

but, yea... if PnT hopes to compete against GS, they can, as long as they maintain freshness in their used game stock. if they can't figure out how to keep their stock filtering in and out, then they will dry up.

[quote name='twen']PNT is an absolute YMMV, only because it's a franchise. I stopped going to mine, when I was denied a fully boxed copy of fuck for the Super Nintendo, for a dollar. I had no cash and wanted to use my debit card.[/QUOTE]

um, i'd explain how credit (yes, your debit card is a credit card) cards work and why stores have minimum purchase prices for them, but i don't want to waste my time on something no one will read. suffice to say, you have no place to gripe about that.

[quote name='zenintrude']um, i'd explain how credit (yes, your debit card is a credit card) cards work and why stores have minimum purchase prices for them, but i don't want to waste my time on something no one will read. suffice to say, you have no place to gripe about that.[/quote]

We all know why stores don't want to take credit cards for a $1.00 purchase. That's not the point.

Their merchant agreements generally prohibit them to set minimum purchase amounts or surcharges for credit card use. However a lot of (usually) poorly run businesses still do it.

If you're going to be in business, you have to suck it up and act like a business. If credit card fees are a problem, raise the price of small stuff by a quarter. Give discounts for cash payments on large purchases. That's what all the independent gas stations around here do now.

Bottom line, if the store puts on the front door that they take credit cards, then they should take credit cards.

[quote name='zenintrude']um, i'd explain how credit (yes, your debit card is a credit card) cards work and why stores have minimum purchase prices for them, but i don't want to waste my time on something no one will read. suffice to say, you have no place to gripe about that.[/quote]
Wrong. Completely, absolutely, wrong.

Anyone ever been to the store in Londenderry, NH? It's a bit of a drive for me but I'd be curious to see if their selection of ps1 games and older is any good.

Two PnT finally opened up in my area. I was pretty excited about it until I finally got inside and realized their pricing on used was identical to GS....... Both stores are pretty weak in the retro games dept. Although one of them sells new import games at a pretty descent price.

I have a PNT store in my local mall that i go to all the time, The prices are pretty good, nothing is sold above msrp at it either, it's usually 59.79 for new 360/ps3 games. I personally like it better than the local gamestop.

[quote name='Apostle22']Unfortunately, our PNT closed down after 6 months of operation......it was a pretty cool store but you just cant open up a game store that is literally sandwiched by 2 gamestops within 5 miles of each other as well as being sandwiched by walmart and target in the same range....[/QUOTE]

Oddly, this has seemingly worked well for the one in my area as it is in the same strip mall as Circuit City (that is closing), EB, and Gamestop (well, 2 Gamestops). The "new" Wal-Mart is right there AND Target and Best Buy are right down the street. PNT still stands here.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Man I wish they had one of these stores somewhere in AL[/QUOTE]

Depending on where in AL you are, Columbus GA (near Phenix City, not long outside of Auburn) might be a good bet.

Doing a search in AL
Guntersville, Alabama
11521 U.S. Highway 431 Suite V, , Guntersville, Alabama, 35976, United States of America
PHONE: (256) 486-3172

Huntsville, Alabama
324 Sutton Rd. Suite B/C, , Huntsville, Alabama, 35763, United States of America
PHONE: 256.288.0008

I wish I could go. I had a play N Trade 1 mile from my house but didnt stay open for more then a year. What a shame, I found some complete hard to find PS1 games there among other things.:cry:

bread's done
Back