Playasia Summer Sale!

galaxi

CAG Veteran
Playasia is having a summer sale for another 6 days.

Everything in stock is discounted. It must be "Ships With 24 hours" to be on sale though.

Any Cave fans out there? Akai Katana Shin LE is only $79...I might pick that up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='galaxi']http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-asyv-49-en.html
Any Cave fans out there? Akai Katana Shin LE is only $79...I might pick that up.[/QUOTE]

If only it was region-free. I just can't justify the purchase of a Japanese 360 right now. Cave games have been making their way to XBox Live Arcade and Games on Demand, though. Hopefully this one will follow.

[quote name='galaxi']
Everything in stock is heavily discounted. It must be "Ships With 24 hours" to be on sale though.[/QUOTE]

Was hoping for Shadows of the Damned to be "heavily discounted", but $40 + S&H is barely a sale.

[quote name='morrodox']If only it was region-free. I just can't justify the purchase of a Japanese 360 right now. Cave games have been making their way to XBox Live Arcade and Games on Demand, though. Hopefully this one will follow.[/QUOTE]If your into shooters, a Japanese 360 is the way to go. I understand if you don't have the cash right now, but it's worth it in the long run. I sold my US system in the past and put it towards a JP console to make up for the steep price.

Some of the Cave games and other shooters have no chance of coming to the US: DoDonPachi DaiOuJOu BLEX, Mamoru Kun, Otomedius G (Although Excellent has a port now), etc.

Then, of course, there's other releases like The IDOLM@STER and what not.

Any decent shooter/arcade games for the 360/PS3? I have US systems.

I have not ordered from playasia since my import PS2 addiction many years ago.

[quote name='galaxi']If your into shooters, a Japanese 360 is the way to go. I understand if you don't have the cash right now, but it's worth it in the long run. I sold my US system in the past and put it towards a JP console to make up for the steep price.

Some of the Cave games and other shooters have no chance of coming to the US: DoDonPachi DaiOuJOu BLEX, Mamoru Kun, Otomedius G (Although Excellent has a port now), etc.

Then, of course, there's other releases like The IDOLM@STER and what not.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if the Asian xbox's play both US and J versions?? It would be a shame for me to sell off my US shmup collection and rebuy all of them for the J-versions.

[quote name='InvaderZim']Any decent shooter/arcade games for the 360/PS3? I have US systems.

I have not ordered from playasia since my import PS2 addiction many years ago.[/QUOTE]

By "shooter", do you mean shoot'em ups? Or do you mean first person shooter (FPS)?

For shmups:
I'd highly recommend Raiden fighter aces. It's cheap and there are 3 games for $10. It's not as difficult as the bullet hell games, but was a favorite of mine when I was in college. Laundry went by the wayside as I opted to use my quarters on this game instead... j/k

If you're into bullet hell games, I've heard muchi muchi pork/pink sweets is good if you can get your hand on a copy. There are a handful of japanese shmups which are US compatible.

Espgaluda II black label and Mushihimesama Futari v1.5 are relatively cheap imports and are pretty fun.

[quote name='InvaderZim']Any decent shooter/arcade games for the 360/PS3? I have US systems.

I have not ordered from playasia since my import PS2 addiction many years ago.[/QUOTE]

By "shooter", do you mean shoot'em ups? Or do you mean first person shooter (FPS)?

For shmups:
I'd highly recommend Raiden fighter aces. It's cheap and there are 3 games for $10. It's not as difficult as the bullet hell games, but was a favorite of mine when I was in college. Laundry went by the wayside as I opted to use my quarters on this game instead... j/k :)

If you're into bullet hell games, I've heard muchi muchi pork/pink sweets is good if you can get your hand on a copy. There are a handful of japanese shmups which are US compatible.

Espgaluda II black label and Mushihimesama Futari v1.5 are relatively cheap imports and are pretty fun.

damn it, if only sengoku musou 3z jap is shipped within 24h.
should i go for asia version since its on sale for 56 as opposed to japanese version of 79

I have not ordered from playasia since my import PS2 addiction many years ago.[/QUOTE]For 360:

DeathSmiles (US)
DeathSmiles IIX (Games on Demand -US-)
Mushihimesama Futari (Region Free)
Espgaluda II BL (Region Free)
Muchi Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets (Region Free)
Raiden Fighters Aces (US)
Raiden IV (US)
Otomedius X (US) I think it comes out in August...

For PS3:

Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! Meikai Katsugeki Wide-Han

Obviously, anything on PS3 is region free.

[quote name='shivan128']Do you know if the Asian xbox's play both US and J versions?? It would be a shame for me to sell off my US shmup collection and rebuy all of them for the J-versions.[/QUOTE]It depends what games you have. Some games are region free, some are not.

To name a few:

If you own Raiden IV and Raiden Fighters Aces, they are region locked to US consoles.

Mushi Futari, Galuda II, Muchi Pork/ Pink Sweets are all region free though.

If you want to save money, the "Asian" 360 is a little cheaper and they play NTSC-J games.

If you would like to know what's region locked and what's not from your personal collection, just send me a list and I'll let you know.

[quote name='galaxi']For 360:

DeathSmiles (US)
DeathSmiles IIX (Games on Demand -US-)
Mushihimesama Futari (Region Free)
Espgaluda II BL (Region Free)
Muchi Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets (Region Free)
Raiden Fighters Aces (US)
Raiden IV (US)
Otomedius X (US) I think it comes out in August...

For PS3:

Obviously, anything on PS3 is region free.

It depends what games you have. Some games are region free, some are not.

To name a few:

If you own Raiden IV and Raiden Fighters Aces, they are region locked to US consoles.

Mushi Futari, Galuda II, Muchi Pork/ Pink Sweets are all region free though and work on JP consoles.

If you want to save money, The "Asian" 360 is a little cheaper and they play NTSC-J games.

If you would like to know what's region locked and what's not from your personal collection, just send me a list and I'll let you know.[/QUOTE]

My xbox shmup collection:
MMP/Pink Sweets
Eschatos (just bought)
Espgaluda II black label
Mushi Futari v1.5
Bullet Soul
Raiden IV
Raiden Fighter Aces
Deathsmiles

Nearly all shmups for US xbox that are disc-only. Am contemplating Trouble Witches, Trigger Heart, Guwange, and DeathSmiles IIX for downloadables, but I have a hard time convincing myself to buy "virtual" games. I like my games on-disc!!

[quote name='shivan128']My xbox shmup collection:
MMP/Pink Sweets
Eschatos (just bought)
Espgaluda II black label
Mushi Futari v1.5
Bullet Soul
Raiden IV
Raiden Fighter Aces
Deathsmiles

Nearly all shmups for US xbox that are disc-only. Am contemplating Trouble Witches, Trigger Heart, Guwange, and DeathSmiles IIX for downloadables, but I have a hard time convincing myself to buy "virtual" games. I like my games on-disc!![/QUOTE]Nice little collection you have there. I prefer a physical copy of a disc as well. Sucks to depend on digital downloads.

Anyway, everything you own EXCEPT both Raiden releases and DeathSmiles NA will work on NTSC-J consoles. DeathSmiles has a JP Platinum Hits release, so that won't be too bad to rebuy, but the 2 Raiden releases have been out of print for a while; you would probably have to find those used.

It really depends on how many locked games you wanna play though.

I can tell you DaiFukkatsu 1.5 is great. Been playing it quite a bit lately. Senko No Ronde DUO is one of my favorites as well. Dunno if your into VS shooters though.

Oh, and for anyone that didn't know if this was possible, if you own a US console, you can still create a Japanese gamertag and access the JP marketplace. There's a demo of Akai Katana Shin and Bullet Soul out (I don't care for Bullet Soul myself). It will play on your US console. Demo only though. The retail disc is locked.

[quote name='galaxi']If your into shooters, a Japanese 360 is the way to go. I understand if you don't have the cash right now, but it's worth it in the long run. I sold my US system in the past and put it towards a JP console to make up for the steep price.

Then, of course, there's other releases like The IDOLM@STER and what not.[/QUOTE]

But with the straight port of DeathSmiles IIx on games on demand I can see more titles come over like that

[quote name='joshnorm']But with the straight port of DeathSmiles IIx on games on demand I can see more titles come over like that[/QUOTE]

I don't think we are going to get any shumps on Games on Demand but cave games...... Although I am alright with that. I predict Atai Katana next.

[quote name='joshnorm']But with the straight port of DeathSmiles IIx on games on demand I can see more titles come over like that[/QUOTE]There's a possibility. The only reason why they did that with DeathSmiles IIX is because that series is Cave's best selling port on 360; it sold really well in Japan as well as the US. Not only that, but Cave chose DeathSmiles over the rest of their games because they felt that a horizontal shooter will appeal more to Western gamers. That's why I think there is a slim possibility that Akai Katana may have some sort of release in the future, but I wouldn't count on it.

Most collector's prefer disc based games though. I know of several people that refused to buy it since it's a digital download.

Not only that, but as I said earlier, certain games will never make it here on disc or Games on Demand: DaiOuJou BLEX, Ketsui, etc.

[quote name='galaxi']Nice little collection you have there. I prefer a physical copy of a disc as well. Sucks to depend on digital downloads.

Anyway, everything you own EXCEPT both Raiden releases and DeathSmiles NA will work on NTSC-J consoles. DeathSmiles has a JP Platinum Hits release, so that won't be too bad to rebuy, but the 2 Raiden releases have been out of print for a while; you would probably have to find those used.

It really depends on how many locked games you wanna play though.

I can tell you DaiFukkatsu 1.5 is great. Been playing it quite a bit lately. Senko No Ronde DUO is one of my favorites as well. Dunno if your into VS shooters though.

Oh, and for anyone that didn't know if this was possible, if you own a US console, you can still create a Japanese gamertag and access the JP marketplace. There's a demo of Akai Katana Shin and Bullet Soul out (I don't care for Bullet Soul myself). It will play on your US console. Demo only though. The retail disc is locked.[/QUOTE]

Now you've got me thinking about how to manage 2 xbox 360's in the same house. :lol: For two (raiden) games, I may bite and purchase a J or A console and keep my us console since I have other games (mostly rpg/turn based strategies) for it which are not region free. Any websites offer Asian xbox consoles at a similar US price point?

[quote name='shivan128']Now you've got me thinking about how to manage 2 xbox 360's in the same house. :lol: For two (raiden) games, I may bite and purchase a J or A console and keep my us console since I have other games (mostly rpg/turn based strategies) for it which are not region free. Any websites offer Asian xbox consoles at a similar US price point?[/QUOTE]You won't look back once you have a JP console :lol:

Have you seen DaiFukkatsu Black Label Arrange? I'm sure you have by now.

This is your best bet if you want a great deal.

Renchi.com

I've never ordered from them and don't know how the shipping prices are, but I've only heard good things about them.

[quote name='galaxi']You won't look back once you have a JP console :lol:

This is your best bet if you want a great deal.

Renchi.com

I've never ordered from them and don't know how the shipping prices are, but I've only heard good things about them.[/QUOTE]

I just did a search and came upon the same site!! Thanks for the help... now time to justify the cost. ;)

Edit: They're currently not taking any orders because they're moving their warehouse. Now I have some time to think about this!

[quote name='galaxi']

For PS3:

Obviously, anything on PS3 is region free.[/QUOTE]

Is this game any good? I can't find any reviews.

[quote name='smokey6']Thanks for the heads up OP!

Weekly Special - Op Flashpoint: RR is tempting me @ < $23 shipped

MUST RESTRAIN MYSELF[/QUOTE]

Thank god its for PS3 only. No deal for me. Would have been much more tempted if it was the 360 version.

Last Window isn't included because it ships within a week and the Arkanoid paddle controller for the DS is sold out. :whistle2:(

Edit: Gyakuten Kenji 2 / Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is included. I can't read Japanese. :whistle2:(

[quote name='clickpow']I don't like it, and I have never heard of anyone that does. The ps3 version didn't really make the game any better it just has some weird widescreen option now.

Edit: This reviewer seems to kind of like it

http://gamesareevil.com/2011/04/import-review-mamorukun-wa-norowarete-shimatta-ps3/[/QUOTE]

I loved pocky and rocky for the SNES... for that matter, Ikrai Warriors comes to mind. I put in for one as well just to try it out, what the heck! :D

[quote name='galaxi']Then, of course, there's other releases like The IDOLM@STER and what not.[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI, Idolm@ster 2 is coming out for PS3, so incase you own both PS3 and 360, I'd just wait for the region free PS3 version. It also includes extras:

"Game balance has been adjusted and the PlayStation 3 version includes a difficulty mode for beginners. The Idolm@ster 2 also has hyper mode for expert players. The Idolm@ster 2 has a ton of downloadable content. Some of it will be available on-disc in the PlayStation 3 release. Clothes, accessories, and songs from the first to third DLC catalog are on-disc."

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/19/the-idolmster-2-performs-on-ps3-with-bonus-content/

[quote name='barrit']Just an FYI, Idolm@ster 2 is coming out for PS3, so incase you own both PS3 and 360, I'd just wait for the region free PS3 version. It also includes extras:

"Game balance has been adjusted and the PlayStation 3 version includes a difficulty mode for beginners. The Idolm@ster 2 also has hyper mode for expert players. The Idolm@ster 2 has a ton of downloadable content. Some of it will be available on-disc in the PlayStation 3 release. Clothes, accessories, and songs from the first to third DLC catalog are on-disc."

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/19/the-idolmster-2-performs-on-ps3-with-bonus-content/[/QUOTE]You're aware that Idolmaster 2 is similar to the first release and is mainly a simulation game, right? I'd find it hard to be enjoyable if you don't know Japanese.

Idolmaster Live for You, on the other hand, is more of a music game similar to Taiko No Tatsujin. It has a lot more actual "gameplay". That's staying a 360 exclusive. There's some text, but it's very minimal and pretty much has minimal interaction as well; unlike other adventure/visual novel games. The idols speak to you before they go on stage...that's pretty much it. It's easy to unlock everything as well. It took me less than 2 days.

There's also the 2 Dream Club games.

[quote name='Phenomic']I'm confused. What exactly is on sale? Is it just 20% of EVERYTHING? Or only certain items.[/QUOTE]Anything that's "Ships With 24 Hours" is on sale. Basically, whatever Playasia has on hand in their warehouse. Some newer releases aren't on sale because, well, they're too new.

[quote name='shivan128']My xbox shmup collection:
MMP/Pink Sweets
Eschatos (just bought)
Espgaluda II black label
Mushi Futari v1.5
Bullet Soul
Raiden IV
Raiden Fighter Aces
Deathsmiles

Nearly all shmups for US xbox that are disc-only. Am contemplating Trouble Witches, Trigger Heart, Guwange, and DeathSmiles IIX for downloadables, but I have a hard time convincing myself to buy "virtual" games. I like my games on-disc!![/QUOTE]

There is also Ikaruga and Bangai-O both in HD for download as well. Radiant Silverbullet HD should be coming out sometime in the future.

[quote name='Dkellar']There is also Ikaruga and Bangai-O both in HD for download as well. Radiant Silverbullet HD should be coming out sometime in the future.[/QUOTE]

Yes, those are pretty good also, I have Ikaruga for DreamCast already, but as a collector, I would much rather have the game in-hand as opposed to an online library. You never know if they decide to pull the plug on games. :bomb:

Figures. The only game I want to import is still not on sale. I just can't spend $50 on a game that I can't read the text in (granted what little there is to be had).

Still waiting on a good sale on Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Force. Sigh..

[quote name='galaxi']This is your best bet if you want a great deal.

Renchi.com

I've never ordered from them and don't know how the shipping prices are, but I've only heard good things about them.[/QUOTE]

I've ordered from Renchi three times; I love using that site.

Darn it Espgaluda/Muchi Muchi Pork and Bullet Soul are not on hand. Of course the only import I own(Futari) is at a great $27 price. Thanks for the post either way OP.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Still waiting on a good sale on Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Force. Sigh..[/QUOTE]Good choice. I'm hoping that comes back into stock as well. The online community is pretty active as far as I know.

[quote name='CDiablo']Darn it Espgaluda/Muchi Muchi Pork and Bullet Soul are not on hand. Of course the only import I own(Futari) is at a great $27 price. Thanks for the post either way OP.[/QUOTE]No problem. And unfortunately, I don't think PA will be getting any more copies of the Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets double pack. It's possible I guess, but it's been listed as "Out of Stock" for over a month now.

As for Espgaluda II and Bullet Soul, I think there's a good chance that they'll get more in stock by the time the sale is over. Keep checking back.

[quote name='galaxi']It's listed as "More stock is expected to come on Jul 22, 2011."
They should have some more by late tonight or early tomorrow.

Oh, and for anyone interested:

No More Heroes: Red Zone Edition just came out today for PS3. It has English audio so anyone can enjoy the story.[/QUOTE]

You were right, it's in stock now...but it's the same price it showed before the sale started.

Damn it, Play Asia.

Edit: But it's still ships in 1 week, not 24hours so still no luck.

[quote name='galaxi']You're aware that Idolmaster 2 is similar to the first release and is mainly a simulation game, right? I'd find it hard to be enjoyable if you don't know Japanese.

Idolmaster Live for You, on the other hand, is more of a music game similar to Taiko No Tatsujin. It has a lot more actual "gameplay". That's staying a 360 exclusive. There's some text, but it's very minimal and pretty much has minimal interaction as well; unlike other adventure/visual novel games. The idols speak to you before they go on stage...that's pretty much it. It's easy to unlock everything as well. It took me less than 2 days.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, thx for the clarification. I don't really follow the series, just sharing the recent announcement for Idolmaster 2.

Thanks OP. I caved in and bought Sengoku Musuo 3Z after hearing the news that this game won't be localized outside of Japan. $61 after shipping.

How do you tell if a discount is being applied? (I've already 'liked' them on facebook and entered through the link)

Also, Galaxi or any others that can help me with some good (cheap) import shoot em up recommendations?

I currently have Gradius Gaiden (PSX) and Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 (360, I bought it before it became Platinum and still haven't opened it.. :( ).

I'd like to get Epsgaluda II Black Label Platinum but I'm not sure if it's region free. And I'm also not sure if the discount is being applied, which it might not be since it says ships in a week.

Thanks for your help.

[quote name='rperez1025']How do you tell if a discount is being applied? (I've already 'liked' them on facebook and entered through the link)

Also, Galaxi or any others that can help me with some good (cheap) import shoot em up recommendations?

I currently have Gradius Gaiden (PSX) and Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 (360, I bought it before it became Platinum and still haven't opened it.. :( ).

I'd like to get Epsgaluda II Black Label Platinum but I'm not sure if it's region free. And I'm also not sure if the discount is being applied, which it might not be since it says ships in a week.

Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

Esp II black label is in fact playable on US consoles. It's def worth the $27.xx. Playasia offers the discount on the items that ship within 24 hours. I see it's no longer in stock so the sale would not apply to it. Futari 1.5 and Esp II are the only cheap imports I know of. Every other import will cost you a few coins.

There are some cheap US shoot'em ups if you can still find them.

Raiden IV and Raiden Fighter Aces are pretty good. I think there is a list of most of the US shmups on the first page of this discussion.

[quote name='shivan128']Esp II black label is in fact playable on US consoles. It's def worth the $27.xx. Playasia offers the discount on the items that ship within 24 hours. I see it's no longer in stock so the sale would not apply to it. Futari 1.5 and Esp II are the only cheap imports I know of. Every other import will cost you a few coins.

There are some cheap US shoot'em ups if you can still find them.

Raiden IV and Raiden Fighter Aces are pretty good. I think there is a list of most of the US shmups on the first page of this discussion.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, where are you seeing it for $27.xx, showing $34.90 for me? (or I guess that was the price when it was in stock?) I've got most of the US ones listed, just wanted to make sure there aren't any other hidden gems (could even be older systems) that I am missing.

[quote name='rperez1025']Thanks, where are you seeing it for $27.xx, showing $34.90 for me? (or I guess that was the price when it was in stock?) I've got most of the US ones listed, just wanted to make sure there aren't any other hidden gems (could even be older systems) that I am missing.[/QUOTE]

I frequent this website often when I look for shmups I have not played.
http://shmups.system11.org/

There seem to be a bunch on the PS2. If you're into Gradius/Deathsmiles/Horizontal shooters, you may want to give a try to the Darius series. Ikaruga for gamecube/dreamcast was really fun. R-type was fun (I played it on the turbo grafix-16) and is available on ps2 as well.

bread's done
Back