Playing backward-compatible games on LIVE

BustaUppa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I was just wondering about how XBL will work with the backward compatibility. For example say you are playing Halo 2 on the XBOX 360. Will you still be able to play it on Live? And if you can, will you only be able to join emulated 360 games, or will people playing the game on a normal XBOX be available as well?

This is an important issue... if universal LIVE compatibility isn't there, that might be a good reason to keep your old XBOX around. I'm thinking of all the niche fighting games out there that will remain endlessly replayable, as long as they still work on LIVE.

[quote name='Scorch']This has got to be, hands down, the dumbest question anyone's ever asked on the forum.[/QUOTE]

Easy there Scorch, this isn't that dumb of a question. I'm sure 95% of people interested in the X360 aren't sure what the answer to this is.

[quote name='shipwreck']Easy there Scorch, this isn't that dumb of a question. I'm sure 95% of people interested in the X360 aren't sure what the answer to this is.[/QUOTE]

Think about it, Shipwreck. He just asked if Microsoft will remove online support from their #1 game.

EDIT: What the hell do you mean why? Did everyone take a batch of stupid pills this morning?

Halo 2 is their number one game and the number one XBox Live game. The XB360 can play BC games, and there's even been leaked pictures of Halo 2 running on the 360. Live is said to transfer over from the XBox. He just asked if they would remove online support from their #1 game on a system that can already play it this early on.

[quote name='Scorch']This has got to be, hands down, the dumbest question anyone's ever asked on the forum.[/QUOTE]

Settle down, Beavis.

That wasn't really his question, though. It led into "Will people on different platforms still be able to play together in the same game?" Which, as far as I know, hasn't been answered definitively.

[quote name='Ledhed']That wasn't really his question, though. It led into "Will people on different platforms still be able to play together in the same game?" Which, as far as I know, hasn't been answered definitively.[/QUOTE]

Now THAT isn't a stupid question, but I was specifically pointing to the Halo 2 remark. I'm interested to know if people can play cross platform as well.

However, he specifically asked about Halo 2 and THEN about the cross platforms, as noted by the "And if you can" line. I was referring to asking about Halo 2 being on Live on the 360, not about cross platform gaming on the same game.

[quote name='Scorch']Think about it, Shipwreck. He just asked if Microsoft will remove online support from their #1 game.

EDIT: What the hell do you mean why? Did everyone take a batch of stupid pills this morning?

Halo 2 is their number one game and the number one XBox Live game. The XB360 can play BC games, and there's even been leaked pictures of Halo 2 running on the 360. Live is said to transfer over from the XBox. He just asked if they would remove online support from their #1 game on a system that can already play it this early on.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Halo 2 will be able to be played on Live. Yes, I think you will be able to play against people on a regular Xbox, but I've read nothing from Microsoft to confirm this yet.

Scorch, I understand your need to constantly belittle people and point out that stuff has already been posted, but you don't need to be hostile in every topic. Especially in a topic with a question that I'm sure a lot of people are curious about.

Scorch, I understand your need to constantly belittle people and point out that stuff has already been posted, but you don't need to be hostile in every topic. Especially in a topic with a question that I'm sure a lot of people are curious about.

That wasn't being hostile, and i'm not hostile in every topic. Every topic today, probably, because a lot of dumb questions and statements were asked/made ("Hey guys, I bet with the Revolution comes out, the Gamecube will be cheap!") today. I didn't belittle him at all. I didn't say he was stupid, I said it was a stupid questions.. and it's not a "need". It's a want.

I don't care what you guys say, asking if they'll remove the online component from Halo 2 is a very, very stupid question. It's like asking if anyone thinks they'll make another Mario game on a Nintendo platform.

[quote name='shipwreck']Yes, I think you will be able to play against people on a regular Xbox, but I've read nothing from Microsoft to confirm this yet.[/QUOTE]

I thought this had been confirmed?

[quote name='Scorch']That wasn't being hostile, and i'm not hostile in every topic. Every topic today, probably, because a lot of dumb questions and statements were asked/made ("Hey guys, I bet with the Revolution comes out, the Gamecube will be cheap!") today. I didn't belittle him at all. I didn't say he was stupid, I said it was a stupid questions.. and it's not a "need". It's a want.

I don't care what you guys say, asking if they'll remove the online component from Halo 2 is a very, very stupid question. It's like asking if anyone thinks they'll make another Mario game on a Nintendo platform.[/QUOTE]

So where the link that says you can play Halo 2 online on the Xbox 360 then? I mean, I'm confident it'll end up being there, but for being such a "stupid" question you didn't provide any proof of an answer.

If you think about it LIVE will be the same sevice, just upgraded from one console to the next. So there really should be no problem playing halo 2 on xbox with someone on xbox 360. I beleive that around E3 sometime they actually said that they had plans for game to be played on LIVE on both systems with your friends.

How is a dumb question, let alone THE dumbest question? You yourself have asked quite a good number of retarded questions, so why are you messing with the OP? Look, this arrogant shit isn't working for you, nor the rest of the CAA (Cheap Ass Assholes), so just cut it.

I don't know why but I got this from the OP's question. Since backwards compatibilty is so selective and fucked up as is on the 360 will Halo 2 or any original XBOX game still be playable over live on the 360? I haven't heard any confirmation that the backwards compatibilty supports XBOX live support for the original games. The 360 uses a different live menu system than the original XBOX live. I wonder if they somehow got it to work with the 360's live menu system or they emulated the original XBOX live menu system.

Does anyone have any proof?

The OP made a decent question IMO.

[quote name='Scorch']That wasn't being hostile, and i'm not hostile in every topic. Every topic today, probably, because a lot of dumb questions and statements were asked/made ("Hey guys, I bet with the Revolution comes out, the Gamecube will be cheap!") today. I didn't belittle him at all. I didn't say he was stupid, I said it was a stupid questions.. and it's not a "need". It's a want.

I don't care what you guys say, asking if they'll remove the online component from Halo 2 is a very, very stupid question. It's like asking if anyone thinks they'll make another Mario game on a Nintendo platform.[/QUOTE]

Actually the classic side scrolling Mario games you refer to havent seen a new release since SNES.

No it aint........... hating on this question is dumb

This whole backwards compatibility thing is all fucked up, and I am not sure why they can't have every game working on the Premium package with a HDD right at launch. It sounds like a bunch of crap to me considering both Revolution and PS3 will probably work close to flawlessly with every game from the previous generation.

bread's done
Back