Playing Crystalis (Nes) this week...

Sweet. Is this the thead we use to describe every little random game we plan on playing this week?

I might play a little Super Mario RPG this week in between making posts on the internet to announce my bowel movements. [/sarcasm]

The truth is, I think Crystalis sucked. Very much a poor-man's Zelda.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Sweet. Is this the thead we use to describe every little random game we plan on playing this week?[/quote]

Nope, that's what the GGT is for.. Telling people that you're playing a game, and no one giving a shit. I love that place. :)

I loved it b/c it was an action/RPG leveling up and stuff, but still being able to jump and attact without going to a "fight scenario" ala Dragon Warrior........don't get me wrong, I love me some DW but it could drag on sometimes

ha. Just wondered if anyone else loved this game. One of my all time favs. So I started over.
Thought this could be like a book club thing. I'll be playing on and off this whole week. I love the soundtrack.

I actually started up Crystalis on a wim recently. It's actually pretty nifty. Dunno why I never tried this out when I was younger.

hmm I wish I could jump in.. the gaming area in the basement is not set up as its in transition.. only current gen is upstairs.

A few more weeks or possibly a month and I can start joining these threads... I think its a great idea.

Man, Crystalis was AWESOME when I played it back in the day. I remember I rented it from "Phar-Mor" (anyone remember that place?) over and over again.

I have it on an emulator somewhere, but it's just not the same experience!

You just motivated me to go downstairs and play some NES, doodle!

Yeah, i just set mine up a week ago and pulled out my huge collection. I was working on airbrushing my NES black with the misfits fiend logo. I finally finished it (still need to paint the door though). So now I decided to try out old crystalis. This game is still good.

[quote name='Simon D I']Man, Crystalis was AWESOME when I played it back in the day. I remember I rented it from "Phar-Mor" (anyone remember that place?) over and over again.

I have it on an emulator somewhere, but it's just not the same experience!

You just motivated me to go downstairs and play some NES, doodle![/quote]

YES Phar-Mor. We used to rent videos from there a lot. It's now a Best Buy.

Loved this game...... man what I'd do to see a updated remake of this game (not the gba port..which was essentially the same)....either updated graphics... or a 3-D.....

A poor man's zelda!? Crystalis is possibly the most underrated game on the NES, at least in my IMO. Until the GBC version came out, it seemed that no one played it. Crystalis had a lot of things going against it on the shelf, the worst being the ugly box art. It also came out, if I remeber correctly, at a time when a lot of good NES games came out. The game itself had some of the best, if not the best, graphics on the NES with a deep story for its time. The game was inovative, required some brainpower and did many things that Zelda didn't. I am shocked SNK (or Nintendo who I think owns the rights) has not made a sequel. I remeber the Neo Geo almost got one but it was canceled. Its a shame, because this game could've been a great franchise. If you have not played Crystalis, its worth tracking down a copy, it is truly an amazing game that actually holds up very well today.

There's actually a GBC copy of this sitting at my local EBstop. I really should grab it before it vanishes. I loved playing through it on the NES.

this is easily my favorite NES game, i got it when this local store called Hills was going out of business in the early 90's. I had no idea what it was but I thought the game looked cool and begged my mom to buy it for me, and she did, I think it was like $12 or something. Still the best game deal ever for me I think.

[quote name='Otherguy676']A poor man's zelda!? Crystalis is possibly the most underrated game on the NES, at least in my IMO. Until the GBC version came out, it seemed that no one played it. Crystalis had a lot of things going against it on the shelf, the worst being the ugly box art. It also came out, if I remeber correctly, at a time when a lot of good NES games came out. The game itself had some of the best, if not the best, graphics on the NES with a deep story for its time. The game was inovative, required some brainpower and did many things that Zelda didn't. I am shocked SNK (or Nintendo who I think owns the rights) has not made a sequel. I remeber the Neo Geo almost got one but it was canceled. Its a shame, because this game could've been a great franchise. If you have not played Crystalis, its worth tracking down a copy, it is truly an amazing game that actually holds up very well today.[/QUOTE]

The problem is too many idiots love the fighters but probably wouldn't give SNK product under another genre any love except for Metal Slug. It's really a shame as SNK has PROVED they can make quality product under ANY gaming genre. SNK even made a limited movement FPF game called "Super Spy".
Too bad Hudson Soft is the same way. They need to realize they're BETTER then just Bomberman. They made Bonk, Battle Heat and may have made Team Innocent as well.

Crystalis is bad ass. I'd love a sequel. The last time I beat it was in 1990, the year it was released. According to Wikipedia, the Japanese title was God Slayer: Haruka Tenkū no Sonata or God Slayer: Sonata of the Far-Away Sky. I bet Nintendo would've shit bricks if SNK tried to release it under that name.

Saw it for $5 at a PNT today. I think I convinced one of the people working to buy it, he had never heard of it and started to tell me how great Zelda is.

Ahhh...I have fond memories of this game. I never owned it, but I beat it at a friend's house. I played while he watched :) I may have had him help me level up if anything. I was and am a few years older than him, so I figured most of the puzzles and other stuff out. Fun times. I can't remember how old I was exactly, probably about 8 or 9. It had such a epic feel at the time. I felt almost like I was living the game. I would like to play it again something. I've got a couple copies sitting on my shelf. Hrm........

[quote name='Sarang01']
Too bad Hudson Soft is the same way. They need to realize they're BETTER then just Bomberman. They made Bonk, Battle Heat and may have made Team Innocent as well.[/QUOTE]

adventure island is a favorite. Hell i think hudson made roughly half of the USA turbografx releases. or at least half of the good ones

bread's done
Back