Playing Gamecube games on Wii

ZForce

CAGiversary!
Feedback
76 (100%)
I just picked up Mario Superstar baseball and was going to try it out on my Wii. However, when I try playing it, the game boots up, but none of my controller inputs work. To make sure it wasn't some problem with the system or controller, I booted up Smash Bros and that worked fine. Does anyone have any idea if there are certain gamecube games that don't work properly on the Wii?

[quote name='ZForce']I just picked up Mario Superstar baseball and was going to try it out on my Wii. However, when I try playing it, the game boots up, but none of my controller inputs work. To make sure it wasn't some problem with the system or controller, I booted up Smash Bros and that worked fine. Does anyone have any idea if there are certain gamecube games that don't work properly on the Wii?[/quote]I haven't heard of anything like this before but that is weird. Did you try multiple times to make sure it wasn't a weird glitch.

tried it twice on my Wii, no go. Trying it on my gamecube right now, seems to work fine

Guess I'll be keeping my Cube now :)

Nothing a update wouldnt fix , i suppose. Nintendo probably knows about this already, maybe some other games not working well, i wouldnt be surprised if a system update came along in a few weeks.

I just recelty purchased GUN for the GC. The gameplay runs smooth, but the cut scenes jitter or skip once in a while. It's nothing too major. I don't expect all the GC games to run smoothly.

The only issue I ran into is that Phantasy Star doesn't recognize the Wii's connection as a viable online connection.

let's see, i played a couple of GameCube titles on the Wii,

Blowout
Sonic Mega Collection
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Splinter Cell
Starfox Adventures
and a couple of recently purchased USED games with scratches

all of them so far works on the Wii.

I've been reading that slowdown in certain games has been alleviated by running them in the Wii. Has anyone noticed this?

[quote name='Doom5']I've been reading that slowdown in certain games has been alleviated by running them in the Wii. Has anyone noticed this?[/quote]

You have to remember that the Wii isn't emulating a GameCube, it's basically the same configuration just enhanced. So that would be awesome if it's true.

Pikmin caused my Wii to freeze up after I was done playing. I had ejected it and inserted a Wii game. It said "This is not a Pikmin disc" and then stopped responding. I've been so paranoid after that I refuse to play my GC games in the Wii. I just don't want to break my Wii. lol

you have to press reset if you're gonna play another title. that way you won't be bothered by that "This isn't..." message.

don't worry, it won't mess up your wii.

[quote name='fenderhutz']You have to remember that the Wii isn't emulating a GameCube, it's basically the same configuration just enhanced. So that would be awesome if it's true.[/quote]

My g/f's brother is a SSBM addict and said that it would slow down in two particular stages when playing on the gamecube (one is the F-Zero one with all the cars). Playing it on the Wii there was absolutely no slow down and the game ran perfectly. We also thought the image looked a little crisper, but that could have just been our imaginations.

The only Gamecube game I can remember that gets choppy (not slowdown, unfortunately) is Metroid Prime in the final boss. It would be awesome if that played smoothly on the Wii, but I'm betting it just runs the same as on Gamecube (that fight was really unpleasant, wish it had just been removed or made much easier).

[quote name='seanr1221']I really hope this isn't Nintendo's frst system with widespread problems :whistle2:/

They always build their consoles like tanks.[/quote]More moving parts (figuratively speaking), more room for error. From a hardware standpoint, which is usually all they've had to worry about, I haven't seen anything horribly widespread, mostly just software glitches.

[quote name='f4t4lfury']Pikmin caused my Wii to freeze up after I was done playing. I had ejected it and inserted a Wii game. It said "This is not a Pikmin disc" and then stopped responding. I've been so paranoid after that I refuse to play my GC games in the Wii. I just don't want to break my Wii. lol[/QUOTE]

Remove a wii game while its playing and see what happens.. the same thing its not going to break your wii.

When you boot a Gamecube game, it effectively shuts off the Wii side of the system, meaning if you remove the disc, it does exactly what the Gamecube does. In others words, reset or turn it off before you remove the disc, just like every other console (aside from the Xboxes).

[quote name='Z-Saber']When you boot a Gamecube game, it effectively shuts off the Wii side of the system, meaning if you remove the disc, it does exactly what the Gamecube does. In others words, reset or turn it off before you remove the disc, just like every other console (aside from the Xboxes).[/quote]

Well, in my experience, the Wii stopped responding altogetherafter I removed the GC Pikmin disc, and I had to unplug the power cord in order to shut it down.

And for the recod, the PS2 also lets you remove and swap discs with no problem.

[quote name='f4t4lfury']And for the recod, the PS2 also lets you remove and swap discs with no problem.[/quote]What I meant is that the Xbox automatically returns to the dashboard when you remove a disc, allowing you to change to another game without having to power off or reset. The 'cube, PS2, and everything prior to the Xbox did not do that.

Maybe the game that didn't work just has a problem if no controller is plugged into port 1, and the other games were fine with that?

[quote name='Z-Saber']What I meant is that the Xbox automatically returns to the dashboard when you remove a disc, allowing you to change to another game without having to power off or reset. The 'cube, PS2, and everything prior to the Xbox did not do that.[/quote]

Oh, I see what you mean. That sounds convenient. :)

[quote name='Z-Saber']What I meant is that the Xbox automatically returns to the dashboard when you remove a disc, allowing you to change to another game without having to power off or reset. The 'cube, PS2, and everything prior to the Xbox did not do that.[/QUOTE]

Some systems did I think-maybe all of them prior to the Playstation 1. I can't remember that far back.

Personally I really dislike it. Makes swapping discs more annoying for multi-disc games. Also causes the console to reset if it screws up reading a disc, etc.

Plus it allows you to open the console to stop the disc from spinning to prevent wear and tear if you're not going to be using it for awhile. I know when I first got my Playstation 1 I was really impressed that you could open the drive, close it, and it would resume right where it left off.

[quote name='Puppy']Some systems did I think-maybe all of them prior to the Playstation 1. I can't remember that far back.

Personally I really dislike it. Makes swapping discs more annoying for multi-disc games. Also causes the console to reset if it screws up reading a disc, etc.

Plus it allows you to open the console to stop the disc from spinning to prevent wear and tear if you're not going to be using it for awhile. I know when I first got my Playstation 1 I was really impressed that you could open the drive, close it, and it would resume right where it left off.[/quote]
As far as I can tell, the Wii does the same thing! My Wii remote died the other day during Red Steel, and it cut to a screen that said "The connection with your remote has been interrupted". I scrambled for some new batteries, and after having found them, also found that I needn't have scrambled - it picked up exactly where it stopped, as though I had paused it but without a pause screen.

The same thing happened last night whilst playing Super Mario Sunshine on the Wii - popped out the disc to put in a new one and it told me it needed the Super Mario disc. Remembering this thread, I knew that it was in GC mode and didn't want a Wii disc, so I tried one anyway to see what happened. Unsurprisingly, it told me this was not Mario Sunshine and asked for it again. I put it in, and voila! Picked up right where it left off when I ejected it.

I think this is a pretty great system, although I do wish that there was an easier way to get back in to Wii mode when playing GC games. It would be pretty rad if the Home button on the Wii remote worked while playing GC games, since you have to use the remote to choose the GC game when you start up the Wii. Oh well, turning it off isn't too much of a hassle - I'm already crouched in front of the Wii at that point anyway if I want to switch games.

EDIT: Also, I just put a GC disc in with the edge of the disc all the way to the edge of the slot, and the Wii auto-centered it and read it no problem. Sweet.

[quote name='supershammy']EDIT: Also, I just put a GC disc in with the edge of the disc all the way to the edge of the slot, and the Wii auto-centered it and read it no problem. Sweet.[/quote]I'm still afraid of the in-dash. Wii or GC, it scares me to remove and insert discs. The top-loading GC, PS1, and DC were the way to go. Trays are okay. In-dash is frightening.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I'm still afraid of the in-dash. Wii or GC, it scares me to remove and insert discs. The top-loading GC, PS1, and DC were the way to go. Trays are okay. In-dash is frightening.[/quote]

Anytime I hear something like this it makes me chuckle. Apparently everyone's car is still using a tape deck. You do realize that pretty much every car stereo CD player is a slot loader, right? This technology has been around for a long, long time.

[quote name='lebowsky'] You do realize that pretty much every car stereo CD player is a slot loader, right? [/QUOTE]

Are you saying that my car stereo can play GC games? SWEET! I'm going to put a game in there and let you know how it works.

Edit: You bastard. It can't play games, it doesn't even have a screen. Who's going to get my copy of Eternal Darkness out of my CD player in my car? Anyone?

[quote name='lebowsky']Anytime I hear something like this it makes me chuckle. Apparently everyone's car is still using a tape deck. You do realize that pretty much every car stereo CD player is a slot loader, right? This technology has been around for a long, long time.[/quote]My family has owned two cars with in-dash technology. One is my sister's, one is mine. She currently has six CDs stuck in her CD player, and a couple of them might even be mine. My CD player, however, is rarely used as I have an MP3 player directly connected through a line-in jack on the front.

[quote name='Z-Saber']My family has owned two cars with in-dash technology. One is my sister's, one is mine. She currently has six CDs stuck in her CD player, and a couple of them might even be mine. My CD player, however, is rarely used as I have an MP3 player directly connected through a line-in jack on the front.[/quote]

Well having owned around 4 cars with CD players in my lifetime, I can honestly say that I have never once had a problem with them.

I had problems playing a lot of the one player games on the wii. As soon as I realized the Controller 1 Ports is the closest to the power button and not the Memory Card Slots EVERYTHING plays fine. Oh BTW Pelican memory cards suck for the wii and corrupt and require formatting with every other save. Hope this helps.

[quote name='Z-Saber']What I meant is that the Xbox automatically returns to the dashboard when you remove a disc, allowing you to change to another game without having to power off or reset. The 'cube, PS2, and everything prior to the Xbox did not do that.[/quote]
The auto-load from the dashboard is the most annoying part of the Xbox's interface. I like how the PS2, GC, and DC do it where you can still check out the saves you have on the memory cards, alter options, etc. more than what the Xbox does. Plus, it's better for when you accidentally open them up and can just resume quickly by closing the door/tray.

I prefer the GameCube style door myself. I prefer keeping things simple with less moving parts.

Back on topic, I've played Strikers, Luigi's Mansion and Zelda without a problem on the Wii. I love using my Wavebird.

RC

[quote name='Z-Saber']My family has owned two cars with in-dash technology. One is my sister's, one is mine. She currently has six CDs stuck in her CD player, and a couple of them might even be mine. My CD player, however, is rarely used as I have an MP3 player directly connected through a line-in jack on the front.[/QUOTE]

Yep, out of two cars we have with an in dash player, one fucked up and had to be replaced. (It was under warranty thankfully.) Even the dealer couldn't get the CDs out, they were mailed to us from wherever they sent the player to be serviced. It was also a 6 disc changer which I'm betting is more likely to fail than a single disc loader.

bread's done
Back