Playing PS2 and having computer online at same time

PapiChullo

CAGiversary!
Ok, so I've been trying to be able to hook up my PS2 and computer since I've been home, so that I can play my PS2, without having to switch the ethernet connection. At first I tried an old router my friend gave me, but it didn't work, so I just thought it may have been the equipment. So I finally broke down today and went and got an 'ethernet switch', that the guy at CompUSA said should do what I'm looking for. Well I come home, hook it up. The internet on my computer works, but I still can't get on with my PS2 with the current setup. What am I doing wrong here? Anyone have their PS2 on a split connection with their PC? If so how are you doing it?

From what I understand, an ethernet SWITCH does just that - switches the internet from one thing to another (IE: a PC to a PS2).

I have everything hooked up via a router with no problems whatsoever... Maybe the one your friend gave you was just busted or something?
Or maybe some brands aren't compatible with PS2 for some reason.

Well the switch is supposed to make it so that each device hooked up to the switch has a full connection to the internet.

But what kind of router do you have?

I use a Linksys router (around $50) and I have 3 different things hooked up to the internet all at once. Also, are you on dial up or broadband?

Well, I can get on without a problem, I just don't want to have to unplug the cable every time I want to play though.

BTW, I am on a broadband connection. What kind of routers do you all have?

Well, chances are that if you're just using a switch, you're probably configured to use the IP that the broadband company gave you. You need to get a router that hands out a DHCP address. Essentially what this will do is give you a private network in your house and have everything go through the single IP address your provider gave you.

The only way you can use a switch is if you pay your broadband company for 2 IP addresses. The device you need is a Broadband router. It will allow you to hide your multiple devices behind the router via Network Address Translation. The problem with the PS2 is that it requires some inbound ports. So you must configure the router to allow the inbound ports to be forwareded to the PS2. It's all pretty easy and straight forward but you need the Router not the Switch.

[quote name='rmewpm']I have a d- link 604 and it works great 2 computers and a ps2[/QUOTE]
I think you need a router. I have the D-Link 604 as well, and it works like a charm; I've got three computers and my ps2 on it.

Sweet, I went and returned the switch that I had and got the D-Link router, and now eveything is working perfectly. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

[quote name='PapiChullo']Well, I can get on without a problem, I just don't want to have to unplug the cable every time I want to play though.

BTW, I am on a broadband connection. What kind of routers do you all have?[/QUOTE]
Linksys Wireless G with 4 hard wire ports. Cant beat it really. I got my PS2, XBOX and PC on wire connections and now my laptop wireless. Thats how we roll in the PS2 world, everything on at once.

bread's done
Back