Playing PS2 games on PS3..

harunim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hi

I just got PS3 and picked up some PS2 games I wanted to play..

After loading the game and upscaled to 1080i, the screen doesn't still fill the whole TV screen.

Come to think about it, I never played PS2/XBox (Non-HD) games on my HDTV!

Is there a way to full-screen the games?

I am a PS3 newb.. so please bear w/ me..

Hit the ps button while you're in the game and change the setting to full screen. It'll stretch it out a bit but it won't fill the entire screen but it'll fill about 80% or so. Anyways, make sure progressive scan is turned on, as well as widescreen if the game supports it in the actual in game menu.

I'm re-playing God of War again on my HDTV and my PS3...and the game just doesn't look as good as I thought that it would. I'm thinking that my options are screwy somewhere, but I have double-checked every option, both in game and within my system. Any other suggestions.

Try changing it to "Full Screen" in the PS3 menu options and don't screw around with any of the screen options within the game.

[quote name='lurknomore']I'm re-playing God of War again on my HDTV and my PS3...and the game just doesn't look as good as I thought that it would. I'm thinking that my options are screwy somewhere, but I have double-checked every option, both in game and within my system. Any other suggestions.[/quote]

I personally think GoW and GoWII look a lot better on the PS3. You may want to make sure your settings are set to output at at least 720p. I would turn smoothing off.

Thanks will try right now. GoW here I come. System only changes. Smoothing off. Ok, off to try. If successful, I won't report results for sometime as I'll be deeply entrenched in the World of Kratos.

This is one of those 'multiple setting deals' that I hate.

If you want to see GOW (or other widescreen PS2 games in widescreen on the PS3) you need to do this:

Set your PS3's PS2 settings to full (upscales) or off. This will stretch out the picture for your TV. Your TV will also need to be set to Full/Stretch.

GOW will need to be set to 'Widescreen' in the menu - yes, everytime you play. Also set it to Progressive.

Once you've done all of those things you'll be playing GOW in 480p/widescreen (PS3 may be upscaling depending on what you set it at).

Anyway, any other settings will result in the aspect ratio being distorted.

When you go back to playing a non-widescreen PS2 game you'll need to adjust the settings again unless you want everything to look short/fat.

I really wish we were at a point where the source device could query the TV and figure out what is best rather than jumping through these hoops. It's probably in the HDMI spec but just that everyone ignores it (I don't really know).

[quote name='Brad Bishop']This is one of those 'multiple setting deals' that I hate.

If you want to see GOW (or other widescreen PS2 games in widescreen on the PS3) you need to do this:

Set your PS3's PS2 settings to full (upscales) or off. This will stretch out the picture for your TV. Your TV will also need to be set to Full/Stretch.

GOW will need to be set to 'Widescreen' in the menu - yes, everytime you play. Also set it to Progressive.

Once you've done all of those things you'll be playing GOW in 480p/widescreen (PS3 may be upscaling depending on what you set it at).

Anyway, any other settings will result in the aspect ratio being distorted.

When you go back to playing a non-widescreen PS2 game you'll need to adjust the settings again unless you want everything to look short/fat.

I really wish we were at a point where the source device could query the TV and figure out what is best rather than jumping through these hoops. It's probably in the HDMI spec but just that everyone ignores it (I don't really know).[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm having the same problem and will try that. I've never had a PS-anything, and just got a PS3 with GoW. It currently looks like crap upscaled to 1080i with the default settings, so hopefully your advice will help.

Not to bitch or anything, since this is the only PS2 game I've tried on my PS3, but the 360 at least correctly plays original Xbox games... and generally makes them look better. For example, Halo 2 and GTA:San Andreas are playable in 720p. I guess that's the only benefit of the original Xbox having such a small library next to the PS3... they can actually write software emulation for each title to make it look better.

Come to think of it, though, I though I read somewhere that Sony did something like that for GoW2?

What you have to realize is that the Xbox was a system a lot newer than the PS2, and the architectures between the two are still pretty similar.

With the PS2 right now it's either being played on actual PS2 hardware embedded in the PS3, or via software emulation that really just emulates the hardware.

360 emulation tends to hook into the video rendering process and makes it render using the 360 hardware at the higher resolutions.

With PS2 games so many different games used different rendering methods this can be difficult to do. Although there were some screenshots of FF12 running on a ps3 devkit at 1080 resolution. We have no idea if they'll upgrade the emulation to start rendering at higher res or not.

Vanigan, thanks for the explanation. I forgot that the Xbox came out after the PS2. Your explanation makes good sense.

On a different note, wow, I did what Brad said, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I'm sold. GoW looks good now, at least as good as it would on a PS2, which is all I would want. And it's definitely as fun as its rep would dictate : )

I guess now I can go ahead and hunt down Resident Evil 4.

I've actually been playing Killzone 1 since it supports widescreen. It's still pretty clunky but it's actually a smoother experience than on the PS2. One thing it really shows is the good artistic design of some of the older PS2 games. Once games reached a point where they got all the power they could out of the system, the only way to improve the graphics was to design and compose it better.

i played GoW 2 the other day on ps3, i thought it looked great, but then again i never played it on ps2.

id like to know if earlier ps2 games ( the ones on the blue disk ) play without a hitch on the ps3. Ive been having troubel with one on my ps2 and since i'll be getting a ps3 this year im curious to know how many if any games any of you have had trouble getting to work on the ps3.

[quote name='lokizz']id like to know if earlier ps2 games ( the ones on the blue disk ) play without a hitch on the ps3. Ive been having troubel with one on my ps2 and since i'll be getting a ps3 this year im curious to know how many if any games any of you have had trouble getting to work on the ps3.[/QUOTE]

Those are CD games, as opposed to the non-blue-disc DVD games. Usually what happened with PS2 systems is that the laser would stop consistently reading one or the other. Ps3s don't seem to have that problem, though it's important to note that this happened to older PS2s over time.

bread's done
Back