Playing PSP games/videos on your TV

DarkonJohn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
For those PSP owners (or potential owners), a cool thing you can do with your PSP (PSP-2000, PSP-3000 and PSPgo) is use the video out feature to play your PSP games while displaying the video on your big screen TV.

For the PSP-2000/3000 models:
You'll need to buy the PSP component cable to connect your PSP to your TV's video inputs. You then use your PSP to play your game while watching the action on your TV. The cable I have is about 8 feet long, so I don't have to sit too close to the TV while playing. Video quality is probably somewhere between a PS1 and a PS2 game, depending on the game. One thing you have to deal with is battery life...if you want to play a long time you'll need to plug into a source of power.

For the PSPgo, you have two options:

PSPgo Option 1 - Connecting directly from your PSPgo to your TV.
You can buy a similar component video output cable for the PSPgo but I haven't seen them as long as the one I have for the PSP-2000.

However, there is a slight problem with extended gameplay because unlike the PSP-2000/3000, the PSPgo uses the same connector for charging as it uses for the video output, so you have to choose between the video output cable or the charging cable because you can't have both plugged in at the same time.

PSPgo Option 2 - Using a PSPgo Dock and a PS3 Controller
My preferred solution with the PSPgo is to use the PSPgo Dock (version 1, which uses PSPgo component cable and PSP AC Adapter or version 2, which uses standard component video cables and USB cables)

Since Option 2 leaves your PSPgo in the dock, you might be asking yourself how you play the game since it would be hard to access the buttons while it is docked. Well, that's where the PSPgo's Bluetooth functionality comes in handy. If you enable Bluetooth on your PSPgo, you can then pair a PS3 controller (which also uses Bluetooth) with your PSPgo and use it to play the games on your PSPgo.

This is actually my preferred method because, since I'm using my wireless PS3 controller, I can sit at any distance I want while my PSPgo sits in the cradle charging. And given the lower resolution of the PSPgo games, they actually look a better if you can sit a bit further away. Plus, the PS3 controller is less fatiguing on my hands than holding the PSP directly.

I think the video output feature of the PSP-2000 was more of a novelty...neat in concept, but not very convenient. The PSPgo actually made this a much more useful feature, but I'm not sure many people really know what it is capable of doing.

The main thing I like about playing my PSP games on my TV (especially using my PSPgo) is that it combines the benefits of a console (larger picture and better sounds system) with the portability of a handheld system. I can effortlessly switch from playing on my TV and then just undock my PSP and continue playing the same game on the road.

Note: In all of the above options, while the PSP home screen will fill up your TV's screen, when you are playing a game or video the video output will not fill up the entire screen. It isn't a big deal for me, but I just wanted to mention it so that you aren't surprised if you try doing this.

The video output feature of the PSP has evolved from the PSP-2000 to the PSPgo, and I'm sure the PSP2/NGP will take that evolution to the next stage with even better video quality output with the same cool features of the PSPgo (dock connector and wireless PS3 controller support). But while you are waiting for the PSP2/NGP, there are some cool things you can do with your PSP today.

I'm very tempted to get some of those 2000 cables, my wife really wants to watch me play Kingdom hearts Birth by sleep

[quote name='Gden']I'm very tempted to get some of those 2000 cables, my wife really wants to watch me play Kingdom hearts Birth by sleep[/QUOTE]

I played much of God of War: Chains of Olympus on my TV with my PSP-2000 like that. I've had pretty good luck with the stuff from DealExtreme, but shipping usually takes a while and returns would likely be more trouble than it's worth if you had a problem.

It sucks. Don't expect to comfortably play games on the TV with a 2000 or 3000. The component cable is only 8 ft long, and plugging it in and running it along the back of the tv takes a chunk of that. I have to drag a chair a mere 2-3 ft away from my TV to do it, and that is uncomfortably close to an HDTV.

Really wish we could use a dualshock on non-go units, that'd solve the problem.

[quote name='Buuhan1']It sucks. Don't expect to comfortably play games on the TV with a 2000 or 3000. The component cable is only 8 ft long, and plugging it in and running it along the back of the tv takes a chunk of that. I have to drag a chair a mere 2-3 ft away from my TV to do it, and that is uncomfortably close to an HDTV.

Really wish we could use a dualshock on non-go units, that'd solve the problem.[/QUOTE]

That's a bummer. My TV has component inputs right on the edge, so I can easily plug in the cables and sit about 7 feet away from the screen, which isn't too bad.

But playing with my PSPgo and PS3 controller is ideal. I even use an old non-DualShock controller since the vibration feature isn't really needed for the PSP.

[quote name='Gden']my wife really wants to watch me play Kingdom hearts Birth by sleep[/QUOTE]
Your wife is a good woman! :applause:

Hey guys, first post here.

If you play PSOne classics using video out from the PSP vs playing them using the PS3, does the video look the same quality wise?

I bought a component cable for my 3000. When playing PSOne classics the game is displayed in a 4:3 box on my HDTV with black bars on the side which is normal but with regular PSP games it's a black border all around. Even playing with the zoom settings I can't get it fill up the screen. Any way around this?

Nope, Sony purposely programmed output for PSP games to be a certain resolution because anything more would make the games look awful, tho I doubt they would look much worse. To fullscreen PSP games you have to hack your PSP, but the effect I hear is truly awful so I wouldn't bother.

I do this with my PSP 3000 with component cables and my component input SD tv. I would have liked the option to play using my PS3 controller to control my PSP 3000 that's hooked up to a TV.

I also just picked up the composite cable for the PSP. I also kind of wish there was an HDMI cable so I could connect the PSP 3000 to my HDMI monitor.

I didn't know there was another version of the PSPgo dock/cradle. I'm guessing version 2 is a 3rd party version.

I have been considering a PSPgo and the dock with component cables, when the price of all three goes down.

Edit: Wow the dock is half price, good find. Would have liked it more if the PSPgo used the same component cable as the PSP 2000/3000.

do all games work with the dual shock on the Go, or just some games?

Thinking about picking one up so that I can expand my "at home" game library since i"m not a huge fan of playing on a hand held at home but have a few PSP games that I'd really love to play.

So if you play PSOne classics on a PS3 the video will look the same as if you're playing them with your PSP with component out?

BTW, I just bought a PSP Go for $99 here in Canada. Staples is clearing them out.

[quote name='zero383']Hey guys, first post here.

If you play PSOne classics using video out from the PSP vs playing them using the PS3, does the video look the same quality wise?

I bought a component cable for my 3000. When playing PSOne classics the game is displayed in a 4:3 box on my HDTV with black bars on the side which is normal but with regular PSP games it's a black border all around. Even playing with the zoom settings I can't get it fill up the screen. Any way around this?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the video looks the same on the PSP or PS3 (PS1 games). You have an option to make the PS1 games full screen.

bread's done
Back