PlayOn for $19.99

Don't bother. Download PS3 Media Server, it's free and it work world's better. Now that Netflix is on the PS3 PlayOn is pretty worthless.

[quote name='PvtChurch']Don't bother. Download PS3 Media Server, it's free and it work world's better. Now that Netflix is on the PS3 PlayOn is pretty worthless.[/QUOTE]

I just found out about this thanks to you, but I don't see anywhere that says it streams video content from networks that PlayOn does. Hulu being a big one.

[quote name='AdamBlue']I just found out about this thanks to you, but I don't see anywhere that says it streams video content from networks that PlayOn does. Hulu being a big one.[/QUOTE]

In my experience PlayOn's Hulu streaming was flaky. When it worked it worked fine. When it didn't it would freeze up half way through a show and I'd have to start from the begining with no way to fast forward (fast forwarding will lead to freezing). Plus Hulu's switching to a subscription model next year, I wouldn't pay for a program to stream Hulu to your TV until you know if you'd be willing to pay for Hulu or not based on whatever changes they make.

This is a great deal, but don't worry about missing it, they do these once a month it seems.

[quote name='jamezuva']fyi, hulu is gonna be charging for content sometime in the near future[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to point out that this comment is extremely misleading as there have been no official statements, and the news stories that you likely got that from took the guys' comments way out of context and blew it all out of proportion.

[quote name='NutManIV']Just wanted to point out that this comment is extremely misleading as there have been no official statements, and the news stories that you likely got that from took the guys' comments way out of context and blew it all out of proportion.[/QUOTE]

You couldn't be more wrong: Link

[quote name='walletandgromice']I just decided that I might need this for my Popcorn Hour and $20 is cheaper than I've seen so phooey on the haters.

Thanks op![/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it's not a good deal. I'm just saying if you're buying it for Netflix there's an official higher quality solution on the system now, if you're buying it to stream/transcode your own movies and music PS3 Media Server does a better job and it's free, and if you're buying it for Hulu support just bear in mind that as of sometime next year Hulu is not going to be free anymore.

Im doing another free trial, not sure if I want to purchase this or not. Its pretty flaky for most channels, and theres not too much on it that Ill watch. May just go back with netflix

Just the Hulu functionality makes this worth EVERY PENNY! And don't believe the rumors that Hulu will start charging, they will ALWAYS offer free content. Just like PSN, there will be some "Premium" content that will be subscription-based, but the free content will always be there.

There are also a ton of plugins for PlayOn but I watch Hulu constantly on this.

I have used PlayOn since last year and it has been o.k. overall. I paid $30, but I feel I got my money out of it.

Primary use: Hulu
Secondary use: Play .avi and .wmv files from my PC
Systems used: My Xbox (wired to Internet) and PS3 (wireless)

PROS:
PlayOn can find and play most (but not all) video files from my computer
It worked fine when I had DSL (TDS) and switched to cable (Comcast)
The Xbox seems to be more stable than the PS3 (but my Xbox is wired to my router)
The system is very easy to run and set up

CONS:
No as stable with my PS3 (wireless problem?)
Frequent updates are necessary to keep everything running ok (check every time before running)
There are other free options out there for more tech-savvy people
FF and REW functions tend to crash the streaming process. Pausing works fine.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='-HAZE-']Just the Hulu functionality makes this worth EVERY PENNY! And don't believe the rumors that Hulu will start charging, they will ALWAYS offer free content. Just like PSN, there will be some "Premium" content that will be subscription-based, but the free content will always be there.

There are also a ton of plugins for PlayOn but I watch Hulu constantly on this.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm glad you're so well informed. What are you the CEO? No? You're just some guy on the internet spouting nonsense because he doesn't want to believe a company may actually change it's business model. Read the above article. It's not a rumor. The writing's on the wall. Sure there will probably still be free content, just don't expect a whole of it to be quality stuff.

Furthermore like I said PlayOn's Hulu playback is flaky at best. If you need something that will stream online content then go for this, just don't expect it to be that good.

bread's done
Back