Playstation 15 year anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFWRX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/5633974/fifteen-y.../full+(Kotaku)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Sony invites fans to help celebrate the fifteen year anniversary with several special discounts and free items available through the PlayStation Network.

• Free downloadable PS3 & PSP static themes available for download on the PlayStation Store starting today
  • Weekly discounts on select PS One titles within the PlayStation 15th anniversary collection page, available in all SCEA territories on PS3, PSP & Media Go Storefronts. In addition to a 50 percent sale on Super Rub A Dub (Super Rub A Dub offer good from Thursday, September 9, 2010 - through Monday, September 20, 2010).
  • A PlayStation Home commemorative Original PlayStation® (PS One) ornament for personal spaces available starting today.

[quote name='FFWRX']http://kotaku.com/5633974/fifteen-y.../full+(Kotaku)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Sony invites fans to help celebrate the fifteen year anniversary with several special discounts and free items available through the PlayStation Network.

• Free downloadable PS3 & PSP static themes available for download on the PlayStation Store starting today
  • Weekly discounts on select PS One titles within the PlayStation 15th anniversary collection page, available in all SCEA territories on PS3, PSP & Media Go Storefronts. In addition to a 50 percent sale on Super Rub A Dub (Super Rub A Dub offer good from Thursday, September 9, 2010 - through Monday, September 20, 2010).
  • A PlayStation Home commemorative Original PlayStation® (PS One) ornament for personal spaces available starting today.
[/QUOTE]

Would be nice to know the actual games that were on sale....would also be nice if I was not in the process of moving and without net for the next few days!

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']The Playstation came out when I was 4? WUT[/QUOTE]

Oh you young wippersnappers and your Playstation 360's and Wiineses... Back in my day we played 2D games on systems called Nintendos. Didn't matter which one you owned, it was still called a Nintendo...

Lol but in all seriousness... I hope Playstation comes out with some good deals for this anniversary thing. I don't wanna see .50 cents off on a $5 game like we've been seeing on some games lately.

[quote name='Darknuke']Oh you young wippersnappers and your Playstation 360's and Wiineses... Back in my day we played 2D games on systems called Nintendos. Didn't matter which one you owned, it was still called a Nintendo...

Lol but in all seriousness... I hope Playstation comes out with some good deals for this anniversary thing. I don't wanna see .50 cents off on a $5 game like we've been seeing on some games lately.[/QUOTE]

Or 50% off a bunch of crappy games. I do not know whats worse getting a negligible discount on good games or great discounts on crap games ;(

I'm getting REALLY excited for half-off on spec ops 1-20, ten pin alley, and coolboarders 2001.

This comes at a good time for me. I just got an 8GB card for my PSP for the sole purpose of purchasing PS1 games to play on it. Here's hoping for some discounts on stuff like Grandia or RE series!

[quote name='darknuke']Oh you young wippersnappers and your Playstation 360's and Wiineses... Back in my day we played 2D games on systems called Nintendos. Didn't matter which one you owned, it was still called a Nintendo...

Lol but in all seriousness... I hope Playstation comes out with some good deals for this anniversary thing. I don't wanna see .50 cents off on a $5 game like we've been seeing on some games lately.[/quote]

Making me feel old considering I was nearly 20 when the first nintendo was released.

This makes me feel old too, but not quite that old ^

Also, call me crazy, but I think the original PlayStation was my all-time favorite console. Even more than the Nintendos and Genesises of my childhood.

I remember renting PS1 titles from the local video chains. People were quite clueless about this CD format and rentals sure took a beating. Lots of scratches.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']I remember renting PS1 titles from the local video chains. People were quite clueless about this CD format and rentals sure took a beating. Lots of scratches.[/QUOTE]

Certainly brings back a lot of memories. All of the small rental shops are gone now, but back then, they were all over my city. And yes, the discs were often beat to shit.

I was just thinking earlier today (not knowing of this news yet) how much I loved the original layout of the PS1 boxart. The simple Playstation across the side makes me feel all nostalgic every time I see it. Black labels of course, those green GH ones were an abortion. Anyway Congrats to the Playstation. I do think it's a bit silly to put a discount on Super Rub a Dub and not just give it away for free. Can't believe they sold that to begin with.

ahh memories

chronocrosscover+www.gamerzedge-zero.blogspot.com.jpg

I received the playstation one as my birthday present when I turned five, I can't believe its been 15 years since I had my first console. I remember renting resident evil one shortly after and making it up to the part where you first meet the hunter and the whole cinematic plays. The game would then freeze because of how scratched up the disc was so I never got to beat it :(

[quote name='ninja dog']Ahh, clever! Run a sale on PS1 games on PSN when there aren't any there.[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy 7-9, Castlevania Chroniclesand Symphony of the Night, and Grandia say differently.

[quote name='btw1217']Also, call me crazy, but I think the original PlayStation was my all-time favorite console.[/QUOTE]

It certainly is right up there with my favorites. It was the first console I bought on release date & it was such a gigantic leap forward in console power. It was truly amazing. To think that a newcomer to the videogame world could so completely dominate over the consoles from Sega and Nintendo. it was crazy.

Unfortunately it set a bar so high that I feel that everything Sony has done since has been somewhat of a letdown.

[quote name='bickle']It certainly is right up there with my favorites. It was the first console I bought on release date & it was such a gigantic leap forward in console power. It was truly amazing. To think that a newcomer to the videogame world could so completely dominate over the consoles from Sega and Nintendo. it was crazy.

Unfortunately it set a bar so high that I feel that everything Sony has done since has been somewhat of a letdown.[/QUOTE]

Really? I think the PS2 was Sony's highest point. PS1 was a great system, and I really like my PS3, but I think the PS2 was their best system. Just like I feel the SNES was Nintendo's highest point. ;)

Yeah, PS2 was definitely their high point, considering the sheer number that's been sold and there's still a market to support PS2 content!

The PS3 is obviously a superior machine, but the high price just killed it for them.

Nintendo and Sony both made big mistakes with their third consoles. Will the same fate occur for Microsoft?

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Yeah, PS2 was definitely their high point, considering the sheer number that's been sold and there's still a market to support PS2 content!

The PS3 is obviously a superior machine, but the high price just killed it for them.

Nintendo and Sony both made big mistakes with their third consoles. Will the same fate occur for Microsoft?[/QUOTE]

I'd say the PS3 is still doing pretty great sales wise. Not on the level of the Wii of course, but close enough to the 360 that had a year head-start. The high price and the year delay (it was supposed to launch 2005) did hinder it, but that gamble also led to Blu-ray ultimately winning the HD format race.

Original PS was a beast of a system. Thread also makes me feel old. I remember the Commodore 64 back in the day. Then the Atari and Intellivision before making my way to the NES.
I would love to see some good deals on some PS1 classics.

super rub a dub is on sale for 50% off? heheh yay! I want that game for some weird reason.. i just never wanted to pay full price for it.. I might pick it up for 50% off hehe

[quote name='Warn3rv3']The Super Nintendo will always hold a special place in my heart. :bow:[/QUOTE]

Me and my brother sold our SNES and games to one of his friends to get the scratch we needed to buy a PS1 and FF7. We realized that even though we loved our new machine we loved our SNES just as much and a few months later offered to buy back the SNES and all of our original games for double what we had sold it for. Dude would not sell it back, haha. Still regret that :)

I don't know if anyone else has seen it yet, but PlayStation tweeted 15 minutes ago that the first PS One classic on sale is Suikoden for $3.

[quote name='Lost Loser']I don't know if anyone else has seen it yet, but PlayStation tweeted 15 minutes ago that the first PS One classic on sale is Suikoden for $3.[/QUOTE]

I really hope you are not joking. O_O

So it'll be a classic a day? So I only have until this time tomorrow to grab Suikoden at that price?

[quote name='pcktlnt']I really hope you are not joking. O_O[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at the 15th Anniversary section of the PSN store on my PSP right now.

On a slightly related note, I'm not very familiar with the Suikoden series aside from the fact that the second one is very rare and expensive. Are the games any fun?

I absolutely loved the first Suikoden, its awesome. But, it hasn't exactly aged well enough. If you like ol grindy RPGs, $3 is a frickin awesome deal.

[quote name='pcktlnt']I really hope you are not joking. O_O[/QUOTE]

It's available already for 2.99! At least in the PSP store. AWESOME

[quote name='Buuhan1']So it'll be a classic a day? So I only have until this time tomorrow to grab Suikoden at that price?[/QUOTE]

Is this true? everyday?!?!?! that would be simply amazing...

[quote name='Lost Loser']I'm looking at the 15th Anniversary section of the PSN store on my PSP right now.

On a slightly related note, I'm not very familiar with the Suikoden series aside from the fact that the second one is very rare and expensive. Are the games any fun?[/QUOTE]

I didn't get to play Suikoden until a few years back and I can say that it was one of the best RPGs on the PS1 and I played pretty much every single worthwhile PS1 RPG.

Now I'm wondering if I should re-buy it. I already own it... but at $3 and the ability to play on my PSP (legitimately) is definitely tempting.

Hey I only have access to my PSP right now (my DS3 broke so II can't use my PS3). If I buy this on the PSP, will it definitely be able to be transferred to the PS3? I know it works the opposite way, but I remember reading that if you DL it on the PSP first you can't DL it on the PS3 after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back