Playstation 15 year anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFWRX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/5633974/fifteen-y.../full+(Kotaku)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Sony invites fans to help celebrate the fifteen year anniversary with several special discounts and free items available through the PlayStation Network.

• Free downloadable PS3 & PSP static themes available for download on the PlayStation Store starting today
  • Weekly discounts on select PS One titles within the PlayStation 15th anniversary collection page, available in all SCEA territories on PS3, PSP & Media Go Storefronts. In addition to a 50 percent sale on Super Rub A Dub (Super Rub A Dub offer good from Thursday, September 9, 2010 - through Monday, September 20, 2010).
  • A PlayStation Home commemorative Original PlayStation® (PS One) ornament for personal spaces available starting today.

[quote name='Saablic']Well it was said there is a 5 dollar minimum but if you just have it linked to your credit card it adds the exact amount directly. I have bought games for 5.31 and 10.(some odd change) plenty of times in the past with no extra money left over in the Sony wallet thing.

How do you have your credit card linked to your account? I have bought games at actual cost in the past too but now it is asking me to add $5 minimum.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I remember my friend had to sometimes turn his PSX upside down while playing so that it wouldn't mess up, lol. Good times[/QUOTE]This had to be done due to compensate for a design flaw in the PS1's Emotion Engine that caused it to be bipolar.

Guess these are weekly deals. No update in the store. So store update Tuesdays and 15th update Thursdays?

[quote name='just joe']
How do you have your credit card linked to your account? I have bought games at actual cost in the past too but now it is asking me to add $5 minimum.[/QUOTE]

You always have to add a minimum of $5 to your account when using your credit card. If you purchase a $2.99 game, you have to add $5. You can't pay the exact amount for anything under $5. Anything $5 and above though and you can pay with the exact amount.

What is it with these vague deal schedules when it comes to consoles and digital distribution? I can understand not telling people exactly what but to be so obscure as to have your potential customers unclear as to whether the sales are daily or weekly is just asinine.

I have money Sony. I own PS1 games on PSN. Hell I will re-purchase games which I already own disc copies of just for the convenience of playing them from the PS3's HDD but I'd prefer a deal if possible.

I just pre-purchased the new King's Bounty expansion on Steam and I'll never play it. I'm not even intelligent with my digital purchases. Why do you hate my money Sony?

In all seriousness this shell game is ridiculous.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']What is it with these vague deal schedules when it comes to consoles and digital distribution? I can understand not telling people exactly what but to be so obscure as to have your potential customers unclear as to whether the sales are daily or weekly is just asinine.

I have money Sony. I own PS1 games on PSN. Hell I will re-purchase games which I already own disc copies of just for the convenience of playing them from the PS3's HDD but I'd prefer a deal if possible.

I just pre-purchased the new King's Bounty expansion on Steam and I'll never play it. I'm not even intelligent with my digital purchases. Why do you hate my money Sony?

In all seriousness this shell game is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they don't have a release schedule and are still working out which games will be discounted? Also I'm just wondering, if you know about a PS1 classic that will be on sale 3 weeks from now, how does that affect anything right now? Somehow not knowing that far ahead means Sony hates your money? Are you panning on buying it now? Won't have $3-$5 in a few weeks? Is it really something worth bitching about? You're either going to buy it when the sale is live, or you're not...Forgive me if that makes too much sense.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, it seems like a lot of people around here are confused about how sales taxes work. Though a lot of states have sales taxes, they are not all the same in how they handle certain things, like digital products.[/QUOTE]

Not really. The states are still assessing taxes on digital purchases. (It's called "use tax.") The stumbling block is that, as a matter of federal/Constitutional law, they can't force companies only transacting business in the state online to collect those taxes for them unless those businesses also have some sort of arbitrary "presence" in that state. It's not exactly a settled legal issue.

Upshot is, if your state has a sales tax, you're still technically obligated to pay it on your digital purchases. The issue is that the state has no effective or accountable way to make you do so. I think the present trend among state tax returns is to out-and-out ask you for the tax owed, though. Still, not quite as blatant tax evasion as changing the state on your PSN account to avoid tax.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']You always have to add a minimum of $5 to your account when using your credit card. If you purchase a $2.99 game, you have to add $5. You can't pay the exact amount for anything under $5. Anything $5 and above though and you can pay with the exact amount.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Here's to another 15![/QUOTE]
Here's hoping that in another five they're in the same spot as Sega.:applause: I'd rather play games produced by Sony than pay $400+ for their fuckin' console next gen and the gen after that, especially if they want to attempt to one up themselves from this gen, which will probably require some custom designed chips that'll make the thing cost $1000+.:roll:

As for the sale, it's probably all titles I've played already, but good news for everyone else.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Here's hoping that in another five they're in the same spot as Sega. I'd rather play games produced by Sony than pay $400+ for a fuckin' console next gen and the gen after that, especially if they want to attempt to one up themselves from this gen.

As for the sale, it's probably all titles I've played already, but good news for everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Yes that way we can all be forced to buy a brilliantly engineered console from Microsoft for Sony's HD gaming. I just love it when you use that noggin of yours cheapest.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but did you pay $400+ for your PS3 Slim? If so you got taken....Let's also ignore the fact that it was the Blu-ray drive, a brand spanking new media that made it cost so much at launch, just like most new media when first released. A PS4 will likely still have a BD drive soooo yeah. Just more beautiful logic though, keep it coming little guy

looking through there list of PSone games there all kind of crappy besides the obvious FF and metal gear, i own most of them. id only care about grabbing dino crisis for 3 bucks. it would be cool if they discounted some psp games on there store though, now you'd get some sales.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yes that way we can all be forced to buy a brilliantly engineered console from Microsoft for Sony's HD gaming. I just love it when you use that noggin of yours cheapest.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but did you pay $400+ for your PS3 Slim? If so you got taken....Let's also ignore the fact that it was the Blu-ray drive, a brand spanking new media that made it cost so much at launch, just like most new media when first released. A PS4 will likely still have a BD drive soooo yeah. Just more beautiful logic though, keep it coming little guy[/QUOTE]
Microsoft screwed up this gen just like Sony did in the PS2/Xbox/GC gen with their finely engineered Disc Read Error prone piece of shit, which was finally revised enough(ala the PStwo slim) to stop getting the DRE for the most part.

And yes, I did pay $400 for my initial 40 gb and about $100 to 'upgrade' to a slim about a year ago after trading in my fat PS3 and a bunch of cheap games to GS during a trade promo for the PS3 and decent bonus promo for the games.

So yeah, maybe I got 'taken', but I wanted to play GTA IV and with the 360's issues at that point I didn't feel like bothering with the repair process every so many months, so I ponied up the extra cash for a PS3. But in reality I paid less than the $400 for it due to trade credit I had at FYE from DVD set trades and such.

As for it being the BR drive that drove up costs, again I go back to asking who really asked for that? The technophiles maybe? But we normal folks who just want cheap entertainment could've done without it, though I am glad for the disc size and not having to swap multiple discs. If it would've dropped the price for the PS3 substantially at launch to remove the BR drive, then I would've been all for that route, since I sit about 4-5 feet from my system so swapping discs is no problem.

I keep refreshing Media Go after I heard these were supposed to be daily deals. Didn't someone say it could be as late as 9PM pacific? That's a few hours off, so...

[quote name='Wolfpup']I keep refreshing Media Go after I heard these were supposed to be daily deals. Didn't someone say it could be as late as 9PM pacific? That's a few hours off, so...[/QUOTE]

Same here. I can't imagine they are going to stretch this out to 15 weeks... It has to be a daily deal of sorts.

I'll likely buy every single PSN game they put on sale that I don't own.

I really hope they go nuts with this PS1 sale.

I'll pick up every RPG at half price. Even the ones I already have physical copies. Being able to play them off the PS3 HDD and on my PSP on the go is way too tantalizing to pass on. (FF games, Wild Arms games, Grandia... also, I'd pick up the RE games too)

Make it happen Sony!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Here's hoping that in another five they're in the same spot as Sega.:applause: I'd rather play games produced by Sony than pay $400+ for their fuckin' console next gen and the gen after that, especially if they want to attempt to one up themselves from this gen, which will probably require some custom designed chips that'll make the thing cost $1000+.:roll:

As for the sale, it's probably all titles I've played already, but good news for everyone else.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm finally seeing why you're so "popular" around here.

[quote name='Sairou']Bought the $3 Suikoden and got charged $5.00. What gives? D:[/QUOTE]

You have to put $5 into the wallet if your using a credit card

[quote name='mtxbass1']Same here. I can't imagine they are going to stretch this out to 15 weeks... It has to be a daily deal of sorts.[/QUOTE]If you think about it, 15 weeks brings us to almost the end of the year, so weekly makes sense.

Maybe more PS1 games will be released in the timeframe as well.

[quote name='Diebythesword']You have to put $5 into the wallet if your using a credit card[/QUOTE]
I see, well shoot! Was hoping to get a deal out of it. Does the change get put on the rest of my account if I'm using a card or do the other 2 dollars get thrown out the window? D:

[quote name='Sairou']I see, well shoot! Was hoping to get a deal out of it. Does the change get put on the rest of my account if I'm using a card or do the other 2 dollars get thrown out the window? D:[/QUOTE]

It gets put into your wallet :D Save it for the sales to come!

[quote name='Diebythesword']It gets put into your wallet :D Save it for the sales to come![/QUOTE]
Good to hear. Roger that!

[quote name='Nogib']Wow, pulled that all out of your ass I see.

Yes, the original PlayStation models had overheating problems but your explanation is woefully incorrect. It was a multitude of things that contributed to the laser issues and while it was heat related, the cause was different and a series of small things alleviated it over time. Originally the laser assembly was to the left of the center spindle. This unfortunately put it closer to the power transformer that takes up the left 1/5 of the PlayStation. Simply by changing that to the right of the spindle on later models moved it away from that heat source. Track angle means absolutely nothing on a horizontal plane. The presence of vents in the bottom of the system meant nothing too. That was there to HELP remove heat and even way later models still had vents in the bottom. :p A continual refinement of reducing the number of chips internally reduced heat along with better quality lasers is what led to vastly superior reliability over time.[/QUOTE]

I only explained on what I experienced. my neighbor at the time, purchased the ps1 the week it came out, it had overheating issues, to where we had to turn it over, the laser track was diagonal in the system. when i purchased my own in 97, 2 years later, the vents were still on the bottom, but the track was on the right side of the system. he used to have issues where the laser would get stuck, i never had those issues.

sorry if my explanation was not acceptable to you, but i felt is was accurate.

Edit: Okay after re-reading your post, i agree with your explanation. to be clear the only issue i ever had with my ps1 was that it would not play the games that came out late in its life cycle, but that was because i have the mod chip in my system, i liked playing the games we could not get here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been without the net for a few days now(moving)and do not see anything new on the front page or the last few posts. Any news yet on what will be in the sale and how often they are switching the games?

[quote name='MSI Magus']I have been without the net for a few days now(moving)and do not see anything new on the front page or the last few posts. Any news yet on what will be in the sale and how often they are switching the games?[/QUOTE]

so far just Rub a Tub for 3.50 and suikoden 2.99. they will add more as the weeks go by. So no one really knows.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']How do you get the PlayStation1 for Home? I've watched the video a few times now and nothing.[/QUOTE]

You need to go to the theatre in auditorium 9 and once the video is done buffering/loading you should automatically get the award. It needs to be in the theatre with the 15th anniversary and I am prety sure it is nine..

[quote name='Moonlk']Quick question...is Suikoden still 2.99? And if it is..anyone know how long it'll stay that way?[/QUOTE]

It's still available. No one knows when it'll end, but some guess Tuesday with the PSN store update. I personally think the price will stay there for the length of the 15th anniversary sale, and they'll just keep adding more gaming to that section of the store rather than replacing that one game without another.

Why is that the only PSone game that's showing up as on sale for me? There's a few games I'd love to pick up at half-off since I never had a PSone.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']Why is that the only PSone game that's showing up as on sale for me? There's a few games I'd love to pick up at half-off since I never had a PSone.[/QUOTE]

That's all that's available at the moment.

i wonder how long they are going to make us wait for symphony. i really hope they don't make it the last game of the deal. since the new castlevania is coming out soon, hopefully konami pushed for symphony to go on sale sooner rather than later since it would mean more brand exposure.

[quote name='PublikDefender']i wonder how long they are going to make us wait for symphony. i really hope they don't make it the last game of the deal. since the new castlevania is coming out soon, hopefully konami pushed for symphony to go on sale sooner rather than later since it would mean more brand exposure.[/QUOTE]

i could see them putting that up as well as an re game. id like to see a dino crisis game come up for discount as well.

[quote name='Saablic']Yeah most of the games listed were not Xbox exclusives as I had played them on the PC. Though I guess I did list the Halos even though it was a delayed release on PC. I think the second one even came out on PC as well as a Vista only game. It is just the one game you always think about when you think original Xbox.

Anyway, that is a much weaker library of exclusives than the PS2 has.[/QUOTE]

I always think Xbox is the most overrated console ever. It gets attention because its slightly powerful hardware always get the slightly better graphics version of multi-platform games, so the media always use it as the 'default' system of choice for pre-/re-viewing games, so the public always persuaded to think those games as Xbox titles. By itself it barely have any cool exclusives that are still memorable to this day. The underrated Gamecube on the other hand had way more exclusives that people still talk about today.

In a lot of way, the 360 is having the same problem for gliding pass as the 'multiplatform game system of choice' (or you could call it a benefit) due to Xbox Live tying down a lot of users.

[quote name='miriamleo']I always think Xbox is the most overrated console ever. It gets attention because its slightly powerful hardware always get the slightly better graphics version of multi-platform games, so the media always use it as the 'default' system of choice for pre-/re-viewing games, so the public always persuaded to think those games as Xbox titles. By itself it barely have any cool exclusives that are still memorable to this day. The underrated Gamecube on the other hand had way more exclusives that people still talk about today.

In a lot of way, the 360 is having the same problem for gliding pass as the 'multiplatform game system of choice' (or you could call it a benefit) due to Xbox Live tying down a lot of users.[/QUOTE]
One thing I liked about the original XBox was that I could make up my own soundtrack in many sandbox/shooter games if I didn't like the music in those games.

As for the exclusives that weren't memorable, I only really playing the same multiplatform games on both consoles, simply because those were the games I most enjoyed. I couldn't stand Knights Of The Old Republic and many of the other exclusive games that people raved about.

And yes I said EXCLUSIVE since I don't count the PC as a disqualifier of exclusive games since a PC is not a console. A PC is ONLY a way for me to surf the internet and aside from a rare couple instances in the early 2000's I never bothered playing games on one at all.

I think the PlayStation along with the 8-bit and 16-bit systems marked an era when the industry was still in chaos and gamers were mostly nonchalant with whatever they played. When the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube arrived, the industry shifted more towards a console-warsian dynamic to the point everything done today is formulaic or based off a standard.

Of all the consoles I've owned, the NES, SNES, and PlayStation were my favorite to own. I attribute it to the dynamic of the era, and probably being naive with everything I ever liked or played during that time. "Yes, it's Nightmare Creatures!"

Granted, I never said that, but I didn't hesitate to play a game like that then, unlike today. I still played the best games for all those systems, but I'd say those trashy middle tier games helped shape my opinion of those consoles. I dunno!

[quote name='miriamleo']I always think Xbox is the most overrated console ever. It gets attention because its slightly powerful hardware always get the slightly better graphics version of multi-platform games, so the media always use it as the 'default' system of choice for pre-/re-viewing games, so the public always persuaded to think those games as Xbox titles. By itself it barely have any cool exclusives that are still memorable to this day. The underrated Gamecube on the other hand had way more exclusives that people still talk about today.[/quote]

Personally I think the Xbox AND Gamecube exclusives were better. Final Fantasy 10 and 10-2 are the only really "must have" PS2 exclusives...maybe Shadow of Destiny, and Kingdom Hearts 2 to a lesser extent.

[quote name='sadboy']I think the PlayStation along with the 8-bit and 16-bit systems marked an era when the industry was still in chaos and gamers were mostly nonchalant with whatever they played. When the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube arrived, the industry shifted more towards a console-warsian dynamic to the point everything done today is formulaic or based off a standard.[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but the console wars crap was really bad in the 80's too. (Which maybe isn't what you were getting at.)

I guess my main complaint with how games progress (well, after DRM issues) is that great genres seem to just disappear for no real reason. Tons of 2D stuff (which has been making a SLOW comeback). Even classic survival horror-stuff that used to be super common and fun just disappears. Of course it's replaced by great new stuff, but still, I want more Metroid style games, more platformers (2D but some 3D too). More Sakaguchi style RPGs. More neat weird stuff like Clash at Demon Head, etc.

[quote name='Darknuke']Oh you young wippersnappers and your Playstation 360's and Wiineses... Back in my day we played 2D games on systems called Nintendos. Didn't matter which one you owned, it was still called a Nintendo...

Lol but in all seriousness... I hope Playstation comes out with some good deals for this anniversary thing. I don't wanna see .50 cents off on a $5 game like we've been seeing on some games lately.[/QUOTE]

Oh you thirty something whippersnapper of your Nintendos and Hedgehogs...when I was a boy we p,ayes 1d games on one button controllers on things called Ataris...or we played with a calculator pad on our Bally Astrocade..eitherbway it was called an Atari.

Yeah, I'm 43 and I twill play video games....what's it to ya...

[quote name='loserboy']Oh you thirty something whippersnapper of your Nintendos and Hedgehogs...when I was a boy we p,ayes 1d games on one button controllers on things called Ataris...or we played with a calculator pad on our Bally Astrocade..eitherbway it was called an Atari.

Yeah, I'm 43 and I twill play video games....what's it to ya...[/QUOTE]

You type like you've only just met the internet.....or you've known it all your life. Such a thin line there. ;)

Personally I think the Xbox AND Gamecube exclusives were better. Final Fantasy 10 and 10-2 are the only really "must have" PS2 exclusives...maybe Shadow of Destiny, and Kingdom Hearts 2 to a lesser extent.

Okami, Jak and Ratchet series, Sly Cooper series, Katamari series.......I could go on and name at least 50 games that gamers now hold up as legends/must haves that you either must be ignorant of or need to accept that even if you dislike other gamers love. The PS2 was probaly flooded with more good games then pretty much any console ever, it was easily the most one sided battle in gaming history.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Okami, Jak and Ratchet series, Sly Cooper series, Katamari series.......I could go on and name at least 50 games that gamers now hold up as legends/must haves that you either must be ignorant of or need to accept that even if you dislike other gamers love. The PS2 was probaly flooded with more good games then pretty much any console ever, it was easily the most one sided battle in gaming history.[/QUOTE]

no! rofl! okami hold up as legends?! rofl! why didn't anyone bought the game during the first, second and third release for the ps2? the ps2 is just as bad and as good as any other console. http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-EPISODE-39-The-Emperor-Has-No-Clothes

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back