PLAYSTATION 2 PRICE CUT $149 (Big Shock?) Not Really

The improtant thing to note is that this new price is for both the regular pack and the online pack. So, do us all a favor and buy the online pack. Same thing, plus network adaptor and ATV2.

[quote name='mkelehan']The improtant thing to note is that this new price is for both the regular pack and the online pack. So, do us all a favor and buy the online pack. Same thing, plus network adaptor and ATV2.[/quote]

Do you have proof of this? I don't see why Sony would do such a crappy thing. They should cut the base PS2 to $129, sell all of them. Then sell the combo pack as the only PS2 package at $149.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='mkelehan']The improtant thing to note is that this new price is for both the regular pack and the online pack. So, do us all a favor and buy the online pack. Same thing, plus network adaptor and ATV2.[/quote]

Do you have proof of this? I don't see why Sony would do such a crappy thing. They should cut the base PS2 to $129, sell all of them. Then sell the combo pack as the only PS2 package at $149.[/quote]

yeah, proof please ^^

Is $149 even a deal? No... the Xbox is a much better bargain. I'll continue to wait for the price to get to $99

imo, it's a great deal. you get a network adapter, the ps2, 1 game, and if you order from gamestop, you get the strategy guide for atv as well. i see it as $100 for the ps2, $50 for the network adapter and 1 free game (and guide if you get it at gamestop.com) :D

Quite frankly.. the PS2 is now $150 with the network adaptor and a game +$100 for a hard drive. The xbox is $150 with network adapter and hard drive +$30-50 for a game.. PS2 is still overpriced.

Not to mention, ATV fury isn't at the top of my list for games I'd want to pick up :)

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Quite frankly.. the PS2 is now $150 with the network adaptor and a game +$100 for a hard drive. The xbox is $150 with network adapter and hard drive +$30-50 for a game.. PS2 is still overpriced.

Not to mention, ATV fury isn't at the top of my list for games I'd want to pick up :)[/quote]

actually, here's the math if your gonna do it right

PS2 system/NW adapter/ATV-$150 + Mem Card-$20 + HDD/FFXII-$100 = $270

Xbox/Halo-$160 + Xbox Live/Headset/Crimson Skies-$70 + Dvd Playback Kit-$30 = $260

You get Online play with both, 2 games each, dvd playback, and a hard drive. Thats as close as you can get them in price with the most similar setup. There are a few problems with ps2 ver. considering you dont have a headset/KB included and the HDD wont actually save any games (that are out yet)

in case there has been any misunderstanding the reason both the stand alone and the network bundle pack are the same price is that the standalone has progessive scan capability along with dvd±r and rw and all that other jazz where as the network bundle pack doesn't its just a regular old ps2 with a network adapter game n such.

So basically for the low end online gamer the network bundle is your best choice

for the high end gamer with a hdtv and dvdr or the like, the stand alone is your best choice and just buy the network adapter seperate if needed.

this is all unless of course sony recently redid the spec's. bleh

I thought Bestbuy have good dealz.

Pickup PS2 Online Combo Pack w/ Free Game $200.00 this week and received 40,000 Reward Zone Point ($17.00 Gift Certificate) then Pricematch later Next week and received extra 10% off lowest price guarantee.

PS2 Combo Pack $149.99 (after Pricematch)
- $17.00 Reward zone GC (40,000 points)
- 14.50 (10% off lowest price guarantee)
================================

[quote name='Masterkyo']I thought Bestbuy have good dealz.

Pickup PS2 Online Combo Pack w/ Free Game $200.00 this week and received 40,000 Reward Zone Point ($17.00 Gift Certificate) then Pricematch later Next week and received extra 10% off lowest price guarantee.

================================[/quote]

i'm gonna suggest this to my friend. thanks materkyo!

[quote name='floormat']in case there has been any misunderstanding the reason both the stand alone and the network bundle pack are the same price is that the standalone has progessive scan capability along with dvd±r and rw and all that other jazz where as the network bundle pack doesn't its just a regular old ps2 with a network adapter game n such.

So basically for the low end online gamer the network bundle is your best choice

for the high end gamer with a hdtv and dvdr or the like, the stand alone is your best choice and just buy the network adapter seperate if needed.

this is all unless of course sony recently redid the spec's. bleh[/quote]

I've never heard of this. Can you tell me where on Sony's web site it states this difference?

The only reason Sony finally did this price drop was because Microsoft was actually starting to outsell them due to the recent xbox price drop. This is exactly why everybody should want xbox and gamecube to sell as much as possible to cut into that playstation empire so Sony won't feel economically secure with leaving their console at 200-300$.

[quote name='BAHUTA'][quote name='floormat']in case there has been any misunderstanding the reason both the stand alone and the network bundle pack are the same price is that the standalone has progessive scan capability along with dvd±r and rw and all that other jazz where as the network bundle pack doesn't its just a regular old ps2 with a network adapter game n such.

I've never heard of this. Can you tell me where on Sony's web site it states this difference?[/quote]

If you go to pretty much any store, and you see a yellow triangle with a "+" symbol in the corner of the box, its a newer model. It lost the firewire ports, but is quiter, has progressive, and works with a newer remote that has an on/off button and an eject button.

[quote name='coolcato']The only reason Sony finally did this price drop was because Microsoft was actually starting to outsell them due to the recent xbox price drop. This is exactly why everybody should want xbox and gamecube to sell as much as possible to cut into that playstation empire so Sony won't feel economically secure with leaving their console at 200-300$.[/quote]

Yes, its called competition.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I thought Bestbuy have good dealz.

================================[/quote]

Wouldn't the price match guarantee only be $5.00 off? Because the difference is $50, so 10% of that is $5.00

Also, wouldn't you get less Reward Zone points after the adjustment? I know that if you return something, or get a price adjustment, they usually take away the points you got or the difference from the price adjsutment.

That's still crap! FYE sold X-Boxes for $119.99(I think it was only for 1-day though), but they still did. So, PS2's should only be $119.99 for the consoles and $149.99 for the online bundle.
I just returned the PS2 Online Bundle that I bought at FYE w/ my store credit for $199.99 a week ago, but I might just buy it again if its $149.99.

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='BAHUTA'][quote name='floormat']in case there has been any misunderstanding the reason both the stand alone and the network bundle pack are the same price is that the standalone has progessive scan capability along with dvd±r and rw and all that other jazz where as the network bundle pack doesn't its just a regular old ps2 with a network adapter game n such.

I've never heard of this. Can you tell me where on Sony's web site it states this difference?[/quote]

If you go to pretty much any store, and you see a yellow triangle with a "+" symbol in the corner of the box, its a newer model. It lost the firewire ports, but is quiter, has progressive, and works with a newer remote that has an on/off button and an eject button.[/quote]

I concur. The online pack has the exact same 50001 model as the regular stand alone. Why would they run two different lines of playstations? Not cost-effective at all.

Well I work at an EB and I was checking out the systems. The older network bundles are a 30001 model PS2. Meaning it is the older model, and has the firewire port. There was one though that was a 50001 model, meaning the newer model with progressive scan and IR reciever.

Sony put out the original network bundle before the 50001, so there are still a bunch with the older ps2 still floating around. Upon the release of the 50001 Sony started adding the newer model to the netowrk bundle. On the corner of the network bundle box there will be a yellow tab with a '+' on it.

So good luck hunting down the good network bundles!

Went to two different circuit cities, and all they had were the 39001 NA bundles. I was hoping to get a free dvd remote, but not at the expense of the quiter fan, progressive scan, and the ability to turn of your console with the remote. I just bit the bullet and got the 50001 NA bundle at TRU.

Oh, and if you're looking for the remotes too, the best place to buy them is at gamecrazy. They're $14.99 everywhere, but GC gives you a free dvd rental from hollywood.

I got the Network bundle, but I believe it's the older one. The funny thing is, the PS2 I exchanged for it (because I wanted to price match but couldn't so I returned and rebought) was the one with the little yellow plus symbol. But it was the regular PS2 and not the online bundle.

But it's cool.

the best buy near me has the new online packs

On gamestop.com it shows the online bundle for 149 but the picture is the old model.....

i was at CC yesterday and bought the ps2 online bundle. i told the guy to pick up the online bundle with the plus sign and he did. so im happy with it. and also got my new remote control with the green on/off button

[quote name='PrinceNeil']That's still crap! FYE sold X-Boxes for $119.99(I think it was only for 1-day though), but they still did. So, PS2's should only be $119.99 for the consoles and $149.99 for the online bundle.
I just returned the PS2 Online Bundle that I bought at FYE w/ my store credit for $199.99 a week ago, but I might just buy it again if its $149.99.[/quote]

actually, they sold it like that for a month, but it was $119.99 after rebate. also, if you didn't get one within the first few days, they never restocked them. therefore, they were extremely hard to come by for that price. i know b/c i called week after week after week to try and get one.
:(

According to Bestbuy ads this week when you purchase PS2 console you'll received 40,000 Reward Zone points didn't matter you do price adjustment or NOT :)

bread's done
Back