Playstation 3 (40GB) Refurb $219.99 shipped!

This was their Daily Deal a week or so ago. Its a good price, but I haven't heard enough about cowboom to trust them with this type of purchase.

Hmmmm, strange that it hasn't sold out yet, if this is a week old.... It's in my cart, haven't paid for it yet, was hoping someone on the site had something good to say about them! What I really want is a backwards compatible PS3, but those are going for a lot more money...

BTW, its a used PS3 not a refurb. It could be possible that these are returns from a major retailer that were sold to cowboom?

[quote name='Dreamer']Hmmmm, strange that it hasn't sold out yet, if this is a week old.... It's in my cart, haven't paid for it yet, was hoping someone on the site had something good to say about them! What I really want is a backwards compatible PS3, but those are going for a lot more money...[/quote]

I just bought a used 60 GB PS3 with a Dual Shock 3f or $370 shipped off of ebay, just fyi.
Around $350 is pretty much their average selling price.
If backwards computability doesn't matter then I would say go for this deal.

[quote name='Organ Donor']Finally some confirmation.[/quote]

That's not confirmation, that's hearsay. Post a pic of the beat up console showing the return address, then it's confirmation.

[quote name='Anexanhume']That's not confirmation, that's hearsay. Post a pic of the beat up console showing the return address, then it's confirmation.[/quote]

This is confirmation About six months ago I bought a 60gb with "light scratches and minor signs of use." The thing was so scuffed and scratched it was pathetic. Plus - it had a layer of brown dust/dirt about 1/8 everywhere (in every slot and every usb port). Took me two weeks to get them to acknowldge my request for return. But, they did send me a replacement unit. Really nice of them, right? Oh yeah, did I mention that it did not put out any video? Six weeks later, I got my money back - but, only when I filed a protest with my credit card.

But, that's just my experience. Buy one yourself and let us know how your experience goes. Make sure you post your pictures.

I bought a cheap used psp from them last week. To my complete surprise, they shipped me a pristine silver slim psp that my wife loves. Can't beat that... :applause:

Thumbs up for Cowboom.

Last time this deal was offered, I decided to give it a try because the price was so low. I figured if I got a bad console, I could just file a dispute with my card.

My console came within 7 days after placing the order, and although the console was dirty, and in much need of cleaning (had to wipe down smudges and use compressed air on the vents), it works perfectly fine. Thoroughly tested for about a week with Blu-Ray movies and games, and no hiccups at all. The only slight problem was I got a defective controller, which Cowboom refunded me for. By the way, the website makes it seem the return policy is 15 days from order, but its actually 15 days from receipt.

However, I read others had problems, so YMMV. But my experience was very positive.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Cowboom

Someone else posted this link in another thread. Anyone thinking of buying from Cowboom might want to check out what others are saying. Use your credit card and cross your fingers. Some seem to have gotten great deals, other have reecived what I received, returned garbage (FYI Cowboom is a sub of Dealtree - Bestbuy's dumping ground).

While I would be a bit leery about this company, Reseller Ratings isn't always the best way to determine these things. I mean, Dell, for instance, has a lifetime rating of 4.05. Now, Dell customer service is not great, but they are a very successful business. They would not be so if they were rated that poorly by everyone who did business with them. Most people who write a review for Reseller Ratings are pissed about their experience. The dozen other people who had no problem won't bother seeking out a site to vent...because they have nothing to vent about.

heres the link to all their sites,

http://dealtree.net/products.cfm

They help companies liquidate returns and end of life products from what it says on their site. they also seem to manage those electronic trade in programs at various retailers. Most of these systems are probably returns/trade ins.

[quote name='biuevenom']heres the link to all their sites,

http://dealtree.net/products.cfm

They help companies liquidate returns and end of life products from what it says on their site. they also seem to manage those electronic trade in programs at various retailers. Most of these systems are probably returns/trade ins.[/quote]

"'end of life products" - that's awesome. About right based upon my experience with these guys. The PS3's they sent me not only looked like they were near the end of their life, they looked like they had lived their lives like Mickey Rourke. But, that is just my experience. Glad to hear it has worked out for some people.

[quote name='Organ Donor']This was their Daily Deal a week or so ago. Its a good price, but I haven't heard enough about cowboom to trust them with this type of purchase.
iy.gif
[/quote]
Yeah, however, this is slightly overpriced for being refurbished and 40Gb.

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ordered a PS3 from Cowboom, said it shipped UPS 7-10 day shipping on Friday 2/6 (UPS does not offer 7-10, 5 is the longest) The tracking number they provided said that they had printed an invoice for the shipment but never gave it to UPS.

When I contacted them about this they said it was definitely shipped on the 6th and should be delivered by the 20th, UPS delivers on Saturdays so that would be 15 delivery days after my order (12 days after they said it was shipped). So of course, the 20th came and went and no product, I contacted them that day and they sent me a form to sign saying I never got the product before they would refund my payment for a product that never left their warehouse.

I would avoid all business dealings with this both Deal Tree and Cowboom."

Hope this helps to make your decision.
[/FONT]

I work about 5 miles from where these guys relocated (Flower Mound, TX). Went overthere to check it out see if you could look at their inventory, inspect the products and buy on site. Saw a guy I knew from High school there. Apparently, here is their gig:

1. They sell returns that are not accepted by Sony.
2. They have a set target price for each of their items. If they do not get the price they will extend the auction.
3. If they do not get their price after extending the auction, they will send a product that is of less quality (for example you win a 60gb ps3 in "overall good" condition for $230. Their target price was $270. They keep the "overall good" ps3 and send you a PS3 with "sratches and signs of use" and then relist the PS3 in "overall good condition."
4. If you complain that the PS3 was not in "overall good condition" they will offer to reduce the price by $40.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has had an experience which is similar. If true, this practice sounds like borderline fraud. I am leary about trying these guys again, but am tempted when I hear that somepeople have had good experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BigRedWhat']"'end of life products" - that's awesome. About right based upon my experience with these guys. The PS3's they sent me not only looked like they were near the end of their life, they looked like they had lived their lives like Mickey Rourke. But, that is just my experience. Glad to hear it has worked out for some people.[/quote]

:rofl:
The site looks so shady, I wouldn't trust them with my money.

So apparently Best Buy have this special Auction website that state its only for Best Buy Employees because its under the special acommodations section but it turns out to best the same exact website as Cowboom. Its sad because I really thought we were special enough to get our own auction but now just to find out anyone can bid on the same exact item your bidding makes me not want to buy anything from them ever again.

[quote name='BigRedWhat']I work about 5 miles from where these guys relocated (Flower Mound, TX). Went overthere to check it out see if you could look at their inventory, inspect the products and buy on site. Saw a guy I knew from High school there. Apparently, here is their gig:

1. They sell returns that are not accepted by Sony.
2. They have a set target price for each of their items. If they do not get the price they will extend the auction.
3. If they do not get their price after extending the auction, they will send a product that is of less quality (for example you win a 60gb ps3 in "overall good" condition for $230. Their target price was $270. They keep the "overall good" ps3 and send you a PS3 with "sratches and signs of use" and then relist the PS3 in "overall good condition."
4. If you complain that the PS3 was not in "overall good condition" they will offer to reduce the price by $40.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has had an experience which is similar. If true, this practice sounds like borderline fraud. I am leary about trying these guys again, but am tempted when I hear that somepeople have had good experiences.[/quote]

Something like this happened to me. Bought a 80gb PS3 - listing said it was LE in "overall good condition" that played PS2 games had SD. MS, and CF. Got it for $214!!! Sweet right? No. They sent me a core 80gb with no ability to play PS2 games, no sd card, no cf and no mem stick. When I asked them to send we what I bought they offered me $40. Told them I wanted what I bought again. They said they would only refund my money. $170 for a PS3 is still sweet right? No, the PS3 put out no video signal and was scratched to hell.

Refurbs are ALWAYS risky. If your going to chance it, you go with folks who at least have a real refurb program (GameStop) so at the least, you can have your ass covered.

The 40gb is their deal of the day again. $209. Remember, it is not even technically a refurb. It is a return from BestBuy. If anyone picks it up tell us your experience. Also, test the hell out of it for the first 10 days (you only have 14 to return). My experiences with this co was horrible, but it seems to have worked out for others. Good luck.

I checked there site through BBB and after a couple of clicks and a little research they are a So Cali company and everything checks out ok. I personally would not buy it because the price is too good.

I checked there site through BBB and after a couple of clicks and a little research they are a So Cali company and everything checks out ok. I personally would not buy it because the price is too good.

I bought the refurbed ps3 from them last month, it turned out to be defective. Not sure if they have any quality control whatsover. Was a beech and ahalf to get them to refund me which they eventually did after a massive headache.

At the end of it all, i was out $15 to ship the item back to them and wasted a great deal of time.

Do yourself a favor and spend the $20-$30 more and buy it locally from your craigslist, there are always someone selling a PS3 and you can verify that it works. This is what i ended up doing. Bought a like new retail boxed PS3 for $250.

Also keep in mind that cowboom charges sales tax AND shipping... so that $210 PS3 suddenly became a $240 PS3.

Moral of story, STAY AWAY FROM THIS, THE PRICE ISNT EVEN REALLY THAT GOOD ANYWAYS.

bread's done
Back