Playstation 4 Camera $59.99 @ Frys.com [Ships by 1/29/14]

Cue the "I saw stacks of these at my (insert retailer here)"

But you're right. They are very hard to find. The PS4 isn't easy to find but the PS4 camera is ridiculously hard to find by comparison. On the Sony site it says they aren't shipping more until the end of March.

No retailer in the entire state of Maine has any. Literally none of the Walmart's, GS, BB, TRU, Target or Ma & Pa stores with websites show in-store inventory and of course they are all sold out for shipping.

Luckily I got a call from a nearby GS who got one as a return and they held it for me since they knew I was in the market last week. It looks like Sony underestimated the initial demand.

GameStop Poweruprewards has this in there catalog for 60,000 points if anyone has accumulated a ton.
I have like 200,000 but am waiting for them to put something truly exclusive. They are great at putting up some NECA item for like 100,000 points that you can get for like $80 on Amazon. This wouldn't be a bad use of points though since you could easily resell the camera and turn points to cash at a higher then normal ratio (I consider 1,000 points to = $1 since you can buy $50 gift cards for 50,000 points)

That seems very odd to me.
What? It really is hard to find. You won't find a single retailer with stock available to ship and you'll be hard pressed to find any B&M locations with any.

I'm guessing Sony didn't think the attachment rate for these would be that high until more games or apps were out that integrated its use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually had one of these then took it back and thought meh...I won't use it.

Wish I had it now, even with a Kinect 2.0, no idea why. I guess because it's not available, lol

Didn't know these were selling for Double. I plugged mine in, realized it's an always on mic, unplugged it and haven't touched it since. Might be a good way to return it and turn a profit.

Hate to be "that guy" but quite a few gamestops around still have these in stock. Didn't realize they were in demand. Might be worth a closer look. I'm in NY btw
Well I hate to be that guy but I just put in New York, NY and it showed two stores within 100 miles (both in PA; 90+ miles away) that had stock and both were "low stock" meaning one unit.

Where do you live? East Bum fuck? It always amuses me that people think because a few stores show "low stock" that the item is somehow accessible to people in the rest of the country.

All that matters is that no retailers have online inventory so any that trickle into stores will disappear quickly

Well, my GS inventory search shows this: "No stores with inventory within 100 mile radius.". That covers at least 30 if not more GS stores.

I bought in to the "no one wants to pay for the camera" hype and assumed I'd be able to get it on the cheap in a year or so. Now I kind of want one ;). But if you look at Move/PS Eye that did end up on repeated sale/clearance not too long after launch, so that may still happen with this.

I'd like to get one of those cameras... but I do all my playing on a subaccount and the PS4 takes a big dump on subaccounts when it comes to sharing... so I don't see any reason to give Sony my money.

ID

I wasn't aware that these were rare either.... what's benefit of these on the PS4 at the moment? I can't imagine there is much functionality from games to even justify paying double MSRP to "get one".

Every single Best Buy in CT is out of them. All the BB and TRU i checked are as well. They claim it was from insane demand...well, we know it can't be in higher demand than ps4. so i think it's a bit of that plus an underestimation of needed supply. I loathe when companies and their associated retailers balk on supply and blame it on popularity on consumer demand. Please. The WIi does that. Not a webcam.

Getting five cameras in and selling "all" of them doesn't necessarily mean they are selling like hotcakes. Yeah, I'm bringing that dink of a phrase back.

Wow, I had no idea these were hard to find.  I could have swear I see a ton every time I go to Best Buy or Target, but I guess I'm mistaken.

I wasn't aware that these were rare either.... what's benefit of these on the PS4 at the moment? I can't imagine there is much functionality from games to even justify paying double MSRP to "get one".
probably to stream themselves playing that Playroom game. My gf wants one to play that game, but we can wait. Other people just want to whore out their twitter name or host some pseudo-web show. But really, just like with PS3, the camera adds very little value to the console. It has a cool facial recognition feature but in my time with it, I found it much more convenient to just use the controller. It's not Xbone Kinect that's for damn sure.

If I had a PS4 I'd want the camera for streams. Not nudie streams (and believe me, nobody wants to see me nude. Ha ha!), but just to put my mug into the stream when playing a game. More entertaining to watch streams where you can see them and not just the game.

Well, if anyone is in Los Angeles, it appears every Best Buy has them in stock.

Oh... no. Not even close

paintbb.png

Wow, I had no idea these were hard to find. I could have swear I see a ton every time I go to Best Buy or Target, but I guess I'm mistaken.
I didn't know about it until the Microsoft rep pointed it out to me the other day, I think it just get overlooked because of how useless it really is. I'm going to guess with the recent influx of accessory sales they've had over the past month that they sold out within that time.

I don't even know if it's worth it to capitalize on it, but logic has been thrown out time and time again since I've seen that people are content with making a $1 and loosing it in shipping and fees.

If you have a lot of friends and actually communicate with them on the PS4 I see no relevance in owning the attachment right now.

I didn't realize these were rare either.  I bought one at launch with my PS4 and haven't even opened it.  It's just sitting on a shelf in my closet waiting for an excuse to be used.

Though I'd want it as noted, truth is that there is little reason to have this thing. Perhaps they just stopped making them, at least until they have some games that use it.

probably to stream themselves playing that Playroom game. My gf wants one to play that game, but we can wait. Other people just want to whore out their twitter name or host some pseudo-web show. But really, just like with PS3, the camera adds very little value to the console. It has a cool facial recognition feature but in my time with it, I found it much more convenient to just use the controller. It's not Xbone Kinect that's for damn sure.
Yeah its not. The ps camera actually responds to my commands :p

Im pretty sure supply for these will be back once more stuff comes out that supports it. I mean its not like Sony has cancelled / dropped support for these. People bought them because they became 'rare' - a bit like xenoblade. but once more come out, the price will drop and there will be ample supply. 

I bought in to the "no one wants to pay for the camera" hype and assumed I'd be able to get it on the cheap in a year or so. Now I kind of want one ;). But if you look at Move/PS Eye that did end up on repeated sale/clearance not too long after launch, so that may still happen with this.
The only difference is back in the ps3, there was no live streaming and voice controls. Thats the selling point of the ps camera right now. People want others to watch them do whatever. Eventually sony will sell this in a bundle with the console.

Wait, isn't $59.99 MSRP? Makes me think I should have bought one when TRU had that discount on accessories a couple months ago. Didn't buy it then because it seemed like it was never going to have any software support. It looks like I'll be right. Maybe it's being discontinued already?

Well I hate to be that guy but I just put in New York, NY and it showed two stores within 100 miles (both in PA; 90+ miles away) that had stock and both were "low stock" meaning one unit.

Where do you live? East Bum fuck? It always amuses me that people think because a few stores show "low stock" that the item is somehow accessible to people in the rest of the country.

All that matters is that no retailers have online inventory so any that trickle into stores will disappear quickly
I long ago stopped relying on gamestops online stock locater as, in my personal experience, has been extremely unreliable. My comment is based on me physically seeing it in stores for which I have recently. (+-1 week ago)

And BTW I don't see how me living in "East Bum whatever" has anything to do with the location of PS4 cameras but whatever makes you feel like a grown up.

Ive never had a problem with Gamestops online tracker, lol.

Maybe you did see them over a week ago. But clearly they are no longer there.

Ive never had a problem with Gamestops online tracker, lol.

Maybe you did see them over a week ago. But clearly they are no longer there.
I literally have 32 gamestops within 7 miles of me and when I'm looking for something a little older/rare its never accurate. Even the employees/managers will tell you to always call first.

I literally have 32 gamestops within 7 miles of me and when I'm looking for something a little older/rare its never accurate. Even the employees/managers will tell you to always call first.
It may not be reliable in the sense that they don't have items available that show available BUT it is very reliable in that they won't have anything if the tracker shows no inventory.

It is just a pet peeve of mine when people say "I saw stacks of these in my area..." what that is just not true.

It has voice commands, acts as a mic in games and let's you show your girlfriends Boobs in the playroom. That's about it.

bread's done
Back