PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Dont squeeze the trigger as hard as you can and dont place you finger on the edge of the trigger but squarely on it

Its common sense. Not an official way.

Last edited by a moderator:
How common this issue is, I don't know...But there shouldn't be an "official" way on how to use a controller.
I agree, it's kind of like the odd bumpers on the Xbox One controller, if you don't hold the controller correctly the bumpers won't register clicks.

Never understood that complaint, the index fingers seem to just naturally land in between the triggers and bumpers.

Really not much a difference from the 360 controller except a more rigid design.

I broke my DS3 earlier this year playing GoW: Ascension multiplayer.  Due to competitive online play, I pushed against my analog stick so much that my right "circle plastic frame" got cracked.  I knew right away why it cracked.  I was trying to push too hard with my stick during online battles.  That was the only time I had any damage to any of my controllers. 

I haven't stress tested my next gen controllers as much as my current gen (this is obvious) but my personal experience makes me think any controller defects are due to user habits. 

My DS4 is broke, the R2 button is stuck completely and the R1 button sticks regularly and i've read it's a pretty common issue. At least its still under warranty for another month so I'm getting it replaced, kinda sucks I have to pay for the shipping myself though. 

Use the link listed on here and it will cost between $2-3.50 depending on weight.  Just print the label and slap it on the box if you already haven't shipped it.  At least I'll get mine back soon seeing how fort wayne is only 90 minutes or so straight east.  

I use my controller about 3 hours a day. Sometimes when I game marathon on the weekends I go 7 hours at a time if I have the free time. I have never broke a controller. I have the same launch DS4. Still in perfect working order. I have even accidentally dropped it a few times. Works just like new. I think the problem is user related. A company shouldn't have to make a product the exact way for someone because they can't take care of it. Just my two cents..

I have a launch PS4 and my left analog stick has had some tearing issues, but no button/trigger problems. Got my Xbox One in mid-June and within a month, my A button was intermittently sticking halfway in after being pressed.

I use my controller about 3 hours a day. Sometimes when I game marathon on the weekends I go 7 hours at a time if I have the free time. I have never broke a controller. I have the same launch DS4. Still in perfect working order. I have even accidentally dropped it a few times. Works just like new. I think the problem is user related. A company shouldn't have to make a product the exact way for someone because they can't take care of it. Just my two cents..
Your two cents is off, google stuck R2 button on DS4 and you'll see it's a very common problem.

Your two cents is off, google stuck R2 button on DS4 and you'll see it's a very common problem.
How many reported cases out of how many have been sold? Everything is going to have a failure rate and you're going to hear more from problem with the problem than not. Remember when people acted like there was a big failure rate on PS4 due to the hdmi port when it was actually a very small rate.

Part is expected failure rate and part user error

[quote name="NeedleInTheHay" post="12175633" timestamp="1413929549"]Your two cents is off, google stuck R2 button on DS4 and you'll see it's a very common problem. [/quote]
No offense but a small part of users is not a "common problem". I would say the RROD with the Xbox 360 and YLOD for the PS3 was a common problem. A R2 button getting stuck from unusual use and not taking care of the product does not justify as Sony's problem.

No offense but a small part of users is not a "common problem". I would say the RROD with the Xbox 360 and YLOD for the PS3 was a common problem. A R2 button getting stuck from unusual use and not taking care of the product does not justify as Sony's problem.
Then why have I never broken a controller before in my life? Not even playing countless hours on PS3 or 360.

It's a defect. Of course it doesn't affect everyone, but that doesn't change the facts that it's a manufacturing problem on Sony's end whether it's a hundred controllers or a million.

Then why have I never broken a controller before in my life? Not even playing countless hours on PS3 or 360.

It's a defect. Of course it doesn't affect everyone, but that doesn't change the facts that it's a manufacturing problem on Sony's end whether it's a hundred controllers or a million.
So everything is excepted to have a 0% failure rate? In a dream world sure

So everything is excepted to have a 0% failure rate? In a dream world sure
Nothing has a zero percent failure rate but I have sent my co troller in 4 times now for separate issues. I just hope Sony doesn't realize the springs are missing this time and send back the broken one. I hope they at least replace the damn triggers. For something that costs $60 and the system is useless without you'd be pissed off too.I wasn't even going to get a second controller for my ps4 but ended up getting one because of this crap. So much for $100 cheaper at launch when I end up paying $60 for another controller and $3 for shipping the other one back each time

So the console isnt $100 cheaper because you choose to buy a 2nd controller?

Its not even a $100 cheaper anymore lol. Its the same price. Sorry you had bad luck.

So the console isnt $100 cheaper because you choose to buy a 2nd controller?

Its not even a $100 cheaper anymore lol. Its the same price. Sorry you had bad luck.
me too. Now I'm wondering if I should get those stick covers for the x1 too when I pick mine up Tuesday. Do they wear Down to be smooth like the 360?

I love the matte finish on the controller. Among the great features for the 360 controllers, they take all of them and make the controller better. I think the controller is very durable.

The only thing I didn't like about the Xbox One controller was the analog sticks. They felt smaller to me than the 360 ones. Other than that its a pretty nice controller.

I love the matte finish on the controller. Among the great features for the 360 controllers, they take all of them and make the controller better. I think the controller is very durable.
I miss the resistance of the 360 sticks, the X1 feels too loose. PS4 is much better in that regard.

I aslo miss the triggers sometimes. Dont get me wrong I like both new gen controllers but the 360 pad was the greatest ever.

XB1 controller is probably the most durable controller I've ever used.

It does take a small adjustment from the 360 controller, but it's truly improved in every way.  Wish more games implemented the use of the impulse triggers.

Nah, 360 had the worst dpad and bumpers in gaming history. Sorry.
okay the d-pad was not good, but Im not sure whats wrong with the bumpers?

XB1 controller is probably the most durable controller I've ever used.

It does take a small adjustment from the 360 controller, but it's truly improved in every way. Wish more games implemented the use of the impulse triggers.
Yes, definitely an adjustment peroid when you move to the X1 controller from 360.

All my NES controllers work.... I have 4. Nes Advantage was pretty durable as well.
The nes is a pretty dang simple controller and there aren't many spots it could break unless you purposely broke it in half. I'm just saying that the dualshock 4 has so much range of motion in the r2 that if you get caught up in a furious game of fifa you could easily break it. If not after 1 game then surely 100. I never broke a 360 r2 playing fifa because the triggers were pretty much straight up and down

The launch DS4 wasn't perfect. The padding/coating on the thumb sticks wore off of mine because they initially used a low quality coating. Sony replaced my controller and the coating is different, more like the DS3's coating. So I would consider that problem fixed.

I'll admit when I'm wrong. Sure enough my controller is having issues. The R2 button isn't broken (yet), but it squeaks obnoxiously when pressed.
Haven't used my system in awhile so it's not like I've put a ton of wear and tear into it.

The squeaking is a little bit more of a common issue, just squeeze the trigger in and go over the hinge with a pencil a few times.

My first DS4 started doing this a month ago, haven't had a problem since.

The squeaking is a little bit more of a common issue, just squeeze the trigger in and go over the hinge with a pencil a few times.

My first DS4 started doing this a month ago, haven't had a problem since.
haha weird. My White controller that came with the destiny bundle did this when i tested it (the two launch ones dont which ive used a lot more) and I just did what you said the problem is gone, lol

haha weird. My White controller that came with the destiny bundle did this when i tested it (the two launch ones dont which ive used a lot more) and I just did what you said the problem is gone, lol
Lol, yeah it is weird... Something about the graphite being a dry lubricant.

bread's done
Back