PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

If anyone is interested in upgrading their PS4 HDD, Newegg has a good option on sale today.

Newegg has the HGST 1TB drive (7200RPM, 32MB cache) on sale for $69.99 when using promo code: EMCWWXM95

y1s8.png

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145875&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL110813&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL110813-_-EMC-110813-Index-_-LaptopHardDrives-_-22145875-L014B
I'm curious, how much difference would be between this and the seagate hybrid?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178384

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is interested in upgrading their PS4 HDD, Newegg has a good option on sale today.

Newegg has the HGST 1TB drive (7200RPM, 32MB cache) on sale for $69.99 when using promo code: EMCWWXM95

y1s8.png

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145875&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL110813&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL110813-_-EMC-110813-Index-_-LaptopHardDrives-_-22145875-L014B
I'm curious, how much difference would be between this and the seagate hybrid?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178384
I think it will depend on which Seagate Hybrid. Their previous generation had a 750GB model that also ran at 7200RPM along with 8GB SSD. I think that model would probably be slightly faster... Their newer models only run at 5400RPM, so that would make it a tad slower than the HGST 7200RPM drive, but definitely faster than the stock. Also, there is the price difference. This is $70 vs about $110-$120 for an equivalent SSHD.

I think some people are concerned about noise and heat ramifications from a 7200RPM drive, but the reviews I read stated that power consumption is still pretty low on this drive and that should bode well for the heat issue.

Thanks for the response. Sound isn't much of an issue for me. I actually have the 500gb version in my ps3 but can't really notice the difference. 

How are hitachi's?  I haven't used them in a long time and wasn't to happy back then. 

Right now I'm holding off on getting an internal drive. I think 500GBs will be more than enough for now and I want to see how these 7200 RPM and SDD drives perform inside the PS4 before going out and spending a bunch of money on something I really don't need at this time. I waited until I filled my current drive in my PS3 and now I have about 480GBs left in my 1TB drive. I'd also like to wait and see if Sony is going to allow external drives or not in the future. I know they went only the internal route, but I just have a hard time imagining that they won't allow it given the amount of feedback they got and how much space these games might potentially use. 

Right now I'm holding off on getting an internal drive. I think 500GBs will be more than enough for now and I want to see how these 7200 RPM and SDD drives perform inside the PS4 before going out and spending a bunch of money on something I really don't need at this time. I waited until I filled my current drive in my PS3 and now I have about 480GBs left in my 1TB drive. I'd also like to wait and see if Sony is going to allow external drives or not in the future. I know they went only the internal route, but I just have a hard time imagining that they won't allow it given the amount of feedback they got and how much space these games might potentially use.
500gb really should be plenty for now at least. The only reason i'm tempted to upgrade is so that i don't have to do so later and redownload everything. I have 3 120-160gb harddrives in my drawer right now. Maybe I should sell them on ebay or something and use it to buy a 1tb drive or higher. But i'm the kind of guy who mostly plays fifa and when a game like uncharted comes out beats it then goes back to fifa.

I think it will depend on which Seagate Hybrid. Their previous generation had a 750GB model that also ran at 7200RPM along with 8GB SSD. I think that model would probably be slightly faster... Their newer models only run at 5400RPM, so that would make it a tad slower than the HGST 7200RPM drive, but definitely faster than the stock. Also, there is the price difference. This is $70 vs about $110-$120 for an equivalent SSHD.

I think some people are concerned about noise and heat ramifications from a 7200RPM drive, but the reviews I read stated that power consumption is still pretty low on this drive and that should bode well for the heat issue.
You can still get the 750gb 7200rpm model from ebay for 79.99. They are factory refurbs and come with a 6 month warranty from Seagate which is quite long for a refurb and should be a sign that they have no probs. In some ways they are actually better than new because they go through a much more rigorous testing before they can be certified. And this particular model saw a lot of returns because they needed a firmware update which means they are practically new. I got one ready to go for my PS4. I've been running one of these SSHDs in my PS3 for a couple years and they really do improve the performance of the machine.

I was considering swapping drives on day 1 as well, but hard drive prices always go down and there's no need for it on day one.  I'm also hoping Sony loosens the 1.5 restriction so we can toss a 2-3Tb drive in there down the line.

I was considering swapping drives on day 1 as well, but hard drive prices always go down and there's no need for it on day one. I'm also hoping Sony loosens the 1.5 restriction so we can toss a 2-3Tb drive in there down the line.
I hope that they let you copy everything including your downloaded games to an external harddrive and copy it back rather than redownloading it all after flashing firmware on new drive. Even better if they let you just use a usb enclosure to hook up new drive via usb and copy everything over to it before inserting it into ps4 and just continuing where you left off.

Well Friday I don't have work til late afternoon (and I have Thursday off) So I think I'm going to scour some stores early and see if I can find me one Friday morning, I have Best Buy, Target, KMart, an indie video game store and Walmart all within a couple blocks of each other so I might have decent odds.

Well Friday I don't have work til late afternoon (and I have Thursday off) So I think I'm going to scour some stores early and see if I can find me one Friday morning, I have Best Buy, Target, KMart, an indie video game store and Walmart all within a couple blocks of each other so I might have decent odds.
Your chances are seem pretty good. You might want to try walmart at midnight since most are open 24/7 then if they don't have it just come back in the morning.

Your best shot is to camp out at Target.

Damn  would it be a bad idea to take $400 out of my checking account and go to walmart at midnight to see if i can get a ps4 and sell my gamestop one on craigslist for $600 and demand that person meets me at bank which is inside grocery store next to gamestop when i go to pick up my gamestop preorder?

Damn would it be a bad idea to take $400 out of my checking account and go to walmart at midnight to see if i can get a ps4 and sell my gamestop one on craigslist for $600 and demand that person meets me at bank which is inside grocery store next to gamestop when i go to pick up my gamestop preorder?

Sounds like a lot of work

Your chances are seem pretty good. You might want to try walmart at midnight since most are open 24/7 then if they don't have it just come back in the morning.
I know the one closest to me was only open til ten but I think they just changed their hours.

Sounds like a lot of work
Gamestop is 5 minutes down the road Walmart is 10 minutes down the road. I'm guaranteed one at Gamestop. I took the weekend off to play the ps4 so going to walmart at midnight ain't a big deal because i don't have to be up early friday. The bank is literally a 30 second walk from gamestop. So i can say hey dude meet me at the bank 10 minutes after gamestop opens and hand it straight too him. Doesn't seem like a lot of work at all.

Has anyone heard any news about getting PCM audio signal out of the system versus a DTS one? I have an older TV without HDMI input. My only option is to use an HDMI to DVI cable for video and convert the optical audio into analog, but most converters only support PCM, and a DTS one costs 70$+ more.

Thanks

Has anyone heard any news about getting PCM audio signal out of the system versus a DTS one? I have an older TV without HDMI input. My only option is to use an HDMI to DVI cable for video and convert the optical audio into analog, but most converters only support PCM, and a DTS one costs 70$+ more.

Thanks

Doesn't PS3 output PCM?

PS3 may, but doesn't mean the PS4 will. They could go DTS for all i know. Hopefully someone can tell me when they get there's. I should be getting a launch unit, but this may effect whether or not I keep or sell mine for the time being.

Thanks
Really not trying to be an ass or anything here, but you should probably invest in a decent/better HDTV before picking up a PS4. Just my opinion.

Well I have a great 70in right now that works perfectly fine. I already have a PS3 that runs great on it since I send the video out via HDMI and it converts to DVI, and the audio out through the AV composite that the PS3 has. Sony decided to drop support for component, I can't really change that.

It doesn't really make sense for me to drop another $800+ on a new TV, when my current one is doing just fine. My options are $30-$100 converter, I just need to make sure which will be the right choice,and for that I need to know if it has PCM Out or only DTS.

Well I have a great 70in right now that works perfectly fine. I already have a PS3 that runs great on it since I send the video out via HDMI and it converts to DVI, and the audio out through the AV composite that the PS3 has. Sony decided to drop support for component, I can't really change that.

It doesn't really make sense for me to drop another $800+ on a new TV, when my current one is doing just fine. My options are $30-$100 converter, I just need to make sure which will be the right choice,and for that I need to know if it has PCM Out or only DTS.
Ah, gotcha. Have you tried asking on twitter? They're pretty good at answering things like that.

I was set on Target's B2G1 for my PS4 game shopping but after getting Gamers Club Unlocked @ BBY, the GCU would bring it to $144 and then $25 in points makes it $1 cheaper than Target (though you'll have to wait for the points).  The closer for me is that they're still doing the 2x trade credit deal so I can take some of the $18 Walmart games and get $40 for them there.

I think I have a gameplan-The best buy near me is doing a midnight opening and I have best buy card so I can get 18 months financing and really spread the cost out. I have Thursday off and don't work Friday until 330pm so it should be easy to go down there as early as I need to and just wait in line. The real challenge will be keeping myself from getting bored because I'll probably line up by 7pm at the latest.

I bought cod on amazon and they sent me a b1g1 coupon on select ps4 titles. So think I will get nfs and either cod or battlefield to flip on ebay @60 and offer free shipping. So basically get free game at price of shipping. Might want to check your inboxes

Hey, I had pre-ordered KillZone SF on Amazon, just got a code for a B1G1 free on "select PS4 games" (looks like the entire launch lineup). Wasn't really planning on getting any more games but what the hey, if one is free. 

The demo station at my local Sony Store was loading extremely slowly. Trying to boot up Contrast caused the system to crash. I got to play Knack and it was okay. Seemed like a very bare bones Ratchet and Clank but it wasn't bad at all. IMO the controller as a whole is a step down, though the D-pad is better.

Man I regret opening my kilzone and call of duty already now. think i can still sell it as new if it's unused?
If you have the receipt you could always order them from Amazon (or buy at target) in the b2g1 deal and just return those copies to wherever you bought those two from. Assuming you still have the receipt etc.

If you have the receipt you could always order them from Amazon (or buy at target) in the b2g1 deal and just return those copies to wherever you bought those two from. Assuming you still have the receipt etc.
I have the receipt somewhere. I already used the b1g1 coupon from amazon am i still eligible for b2g1 free? That might make too much sense to pass up. Edit do you need the receipt for final purchase or will the preorder receipt be good enough to return?

Well I picked up Ghost, NBA 2k14 and Killzone today from Target using the B2G1 and 30% off coupons for a little under $90 total. Now will pick up Battlefield, Knack and AC IV from Amazon. I feel awkward as a CAG paying full price for an AC game but I love the pirate setting and have been looking forward to it for a while now.

Is there a thread for PS4 friends set up yet ? With the new expanded friends lists and the new social aspects of the PS4 it would be nice to build out my list a little.

The demo station at my local Sony Store was loading extremely slowly. Trying to boot up Contrast caused the system to crash. I got to play Knack and it was okay. Seemed like a very bare bones Ratchet and Clank but it wasn't bad at all. IMO the controller as a whole is a step down, though the D-pad is better.
Did you bother touching the unit? I had an interesting moment when I moved the display unit, and realized it was an empty plastic model (lol). That means they either had a demo/debug unit hidden behind the wall somewhere or an equivalent machine hidden in the wall, since the controller was protruding from the wall.

I got my B1G1 Promo Code from Amazon. I had pre-ordered Killzone: Shadowfall and now I need to decide what 2 I want to use the promo code on. I'm thinking Assassin's Creed IV and either Knack, Need for Speed Rivals or Injustice. Call of Duty: Ghosts or Battlefield 4 would be good options too, but I don't want 2 Shooters at Launch...

Anyone know when all the reviews of these things are set to hit?

Never hudge a system by demo unit. They are almost always broken. that's what you get when the heat has nowhere to go

Ah, gotcha. Have you tried asking on twitter? They're pretty good at answering things like that.

Tried got zip for past week. Called Sony Support line, they know everything about ps4 except what the audio options are.... really annoying. I guess I will just have to wait for someone who set theirs up to just come here and tell me before I open mine.

Actually I have one of these so I can just hook it up directly to tv bypassing ps4 http://www.yourcablehookup.com/images/cables/40645f.jpg. don't see how optical could work
They make optical to analogue converters, but that would probably work better and I suspect that's a lot cheaper.

I checked on Turtle Beach's site and they also make a "surround sound processor" for your headset to turn it into a surround sound headset. It seems pretty expensive though. http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/dolby-processor-accessories/ear-force-dss2/33

Yeah I saw that. Looks like I can get original on ebay for less than $20 shipped. Might be worth taking into consideration. Also just tested it and one channel seems broken with one I have. So might just order another

bread's done
Back