PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Huh? Every XBLA game demo is the same. They let you play from the beginning of the game for a set period of time or for a couple levels(depending on what type of game it is) then they tell you have to pay to unlock the full game. I feel like you are still confusing xbla game demos with retail game demos. They are two completely different things.
In a way, this is worse than a retail game demo. Because of the nature of XBLA demos, every game released on the system has to be designed in a specific way. Front-loading the game with immediate engagement becomes a necessity in order to make the "automatic" demo as enticing as possible. A demo for a retail game has the advantage of presenting whatever content the developer pleases, including content that might never be in the final game.

The point here is the standardization of the two systems, and the advantages and disadvantages this provides to developers. XBLA's strictly enforced standards can be positive for publishers and consumers, but are often damaging for developers. Systems like PSN and Steam provide a much greater degree of freedom and control to developers, but at the cost of some standardized features.

You can't always have everything.

Information provided from today's GameStop 2nd quarter financial report.
Over double the interest. That's 2.2 million gamers. Maybe another million plan to buy a next gen console this year and haven't had anything to do with GS first to know or preorders.

In some disappointing news, BF4 doesn't look as great on PS4 as it does on PC. No mention of how it looks on Xbox One:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/23/gamescom-battlefield-4s-graphics-lacking-on-ps4

There was also a report from someone speaking with Lars Gustavsson that the game is running at 720p, upscaled to 1080p, and running at 60fps. However, the game resolution will be optimized for launch.

https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/370847476754157568

https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/370894369404227584

Still don't know how to get the actual tweet itself to post while still being linked to the original post. So I have to link it.

In some disappointing news, BF4 doesn't look as great on PS4 as it does on PC. No mention of how it looks on Xbox One:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/23/gamescom-battlefield-4s-graphics-lacking-on-ps4

There was also a report from someone speaking with Lars Gustavsson that the game is running at 720p, upscaled to 1080p, and running at 60fps. However, the game resolution will be optimized for launch.

https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/370847476754157568

https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/370894369404227584

Still don't know how to get the actual tweet itself to post while still being linked to the original post. So I have to link it.
I remember reading that DICE was putting priority on the PC,PS3,Xbox 360 releases first since they are launching on those platforms earlier.

Some new gameplay footage of Killzone ShadowFall below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdpSw8aaEE

As amazing as that looks, I'm surprised to see how static the foliage was... around the 45 second mark, there's lots of explosions in a courtyard but the tree branches/leaves are frozen stiff. 

Well, not all games will offer realism like BF4. :p
I'm nitpicking, of course. Particle effects are amazing, no question about it, and the animation is really smooth. I just enjoy animated levels, like in Uncharted, since they really add to the setting.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Killzone mp looks good, and I always enjoyed Killzone 2 and 3 mp.  But it just doesn't scream "must buy" to me.  It looks gorgeous, but it looks like old killzone mp, which, as much as I enjoyed, never played that much, when compared to how much I play CoD for example.

I'm all for having color options as long as black is one of them!  Better not at launch though as it makes it harder to get the console you want since you have limited stock further divided by color options if you're picky about it.

All my home theater components are black now, so I flat out wouldn't buy a console that wasn't black as I'm OCD about things matching, blending in and looking nice. :D

Do all gamestops do midnight launches? Do they hand them out in the order of pre-orders, or the order in which you line up, as long as you have a pre-order?

Do all gamestops do midnight launches? Do they hand them out in the order of pre-orders, or the order in which you line up, as long as you have a pre-order?
Not all GS do midnight launches. (Especially ones in the mall. These are up to Mall Management to all these things to happen.) In a perfect world, GS does it in the order of pre-orders, but this is also dependent on the supervisors of said stores.

Some interesting pre-order info regarding the PS4 and Xbox One.

"VGChartz has gathered the pre-order numbers for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The latest data is up to the week ending August 24, 2013. This includes the week of Gamescom, which set a record for biggest gaming trade show in Europe with more than 340,000 visitors. The pre-order numbers are for the US only and give an estimate how each console is doing about three months before release.

Up until the week ending August 24 the PlayStation 4 currently leads in the total number of pre-orders in the US with about 600,000. This is up significantly since E3 where there were only 75,000 pre-orders. The Xbox One is still  lagging behind with 350,000 pre-orders. This is also way up since E3 where there were only 45,000 pre-orders."

PlayStation 4 - Top 10 Pre-orders

1. Battlefield 4 - 246,965
2. Call of Duty: Ghosts - 240,090
3. Killzone: Shadow Fall - 221,710
4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 160,637
5. Watch Dogs - 118,315
6. Madden NFL 25 - 65,123
7. Destiny - 44,018
8. NBA 2K14 - 43,430
9. Knack - 40,982
10. FIFA Soccer 14 - 35,095

Xbox One - Top 10 Pre-orders

1. Call of Duty: Ghosts - 229,628
2. Battlefield 4 - 125,368
3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 104,980
4. Watch Dogs - 69,152
5. Dead Rising 3 - 61,254
6. Ryse: Son of Rome - 57,962
7. Forza Motorsport 5 - 56,201
8. Madden NFL 25 - 43,167
9. Destiny - 35,627
10. Titanfall - 27,956

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251266/ps4-vs-xbox-one-pre-order-totals-to-august-24th-2013/

i would not judge anything till release date for both these systems alot of pre orders get not sold happens alot for most systems.
The numbers don't lie Timbo, PS4 domination is inevitable LOL But seriously though, I agree with you somewhat but it is kinda surprising to see Sony leading by that margin in the US, which is widely regarded as "Xbox Territory".

Well damn. Wasn't expecting Ghosts to have more preorders on PS4 than on XO.
Yep, what's even more surripsing is that Killzone Shadowfall has more pre-orders then Ryse, DR3, and Forza COMBINED! Wow.

The numbers don't lie Timbo, PS4 domination is inevitable LOL But seriously though, I agree with you somewhat but it is kinda surprising to see Sony leading by that margin in the US, which is widely regarded as "Xbox Territory".

Yep, what's even more surripsing is that Killzone Shadowfall has more pre-orders then Ryse, DR3, and Forza COMBINED! Wow.

I am curious to see what happens to preorders when the X1 release date is announced.

domination in pre orders yes but we will not know how true these systems are doing til at least next holiday time. look at the gen that is about to end 360 dominated at start and last couple yeas ps3 has come back and become a great system.

like i said i can't wait to see how much of those ps4 pre orders are legit orders that will be purchased on nov 15th or are just ones that will either be canceled or just not purchased. With sites like amazon that don't make you pay for anything till the thing is shipped can inflate pre order numbers.

Hopefully those Destiny & Titanfall numbers are just because those are a ways off, otherwise that doesn't bode well for those games...

Hopefully those Destiny & Titanfall numbers are just because those are a ways off, otherwise that doesn't bode well for those games...

I'm sure that will change. Hell there isn't even a release date for those games. I typically don't preorder 6-7 months in advance. I don't know if that is the same for everyone but I kinda find it hard to believe that neither of those wont be huge with all of the press, especially Titanfall.

PS4 is going to win big on launch day as MS lost a lot of faith among the hard core gamers that make uo the bulk of early adopters, costs $100 more and the ps4 will have more stock at launch based on preorder allocation reports from people working for retailers.

But as noted above, that doesn't necessarily mean much in the long run as the softcore gamers (as one person called them) are the bulk of the market and won't buy next gen machines until 2014 or 2015.

I'm sure that will change. Hell there isn't even a release date for those games. I typically don't preorder 6-7 months in advance. I don't know if that is the same for everyone but I kinda find it hard to believe that neither of those wont be huge with all of the press, especially Titanfall.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the numbers for those games until at least there's a release date. I preorder a lot of games, but unless it has something bundled I absolutely have to have (like the sunday ticket login with madden) I won't preorder until a month or so out. Lately I haven't even bothered with preorders as I've had no trouble just walking in to Target or Best Buy and getting what I want.

in the end does it really matter what system beats out another? Most gamers should only care about the games that come out and i think x1 and ps4 will both have great system only games. both ms and sony are going no place anytime soon so just sit back wait for release and enjoy the great games we will have for next 6-7 years.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the numbers for those games until at least there's a release date. I preorder a lot of games, but unless it has something bundled I absolutely have to have (like the sunday ticket login with madden) I won't preorder until a month or so out. Lately I haven't even bothered with preorders as I've had no trouble just walking in to Target or Best Buy and getting what I want.
Pretty much. These days I'll only preorder something if it comes with a bonus, whether that bonus is a physical item or DLC. Unless the game is a niche title that isn't very well-known, people should have no problem walking into a store on release day and picking up the newest big name title.

As for which system will do best, it probably won't matter in the end since they'll both do fine and be profitable for their companies. However, having an early lead usually means your system will be ontop in the end. While the PS3 did wind up being a good system after a while, it was never able to come out of 2nd place after the lead the 360 had in the beginning.

I always over looked it but I got Killzone 2 for 5 and Killzone 3 for 8 so im going to power through both of them and see if I like them enough to get the new one when PS4 is out.

ask sony how the much pre orders matter on ps3? that system turned out allright did it not?
I thought I was on your ignore list... I guess I'll have to explain this to you since I just said I'm stopping the smartass remarks. I came up with that from your previous post:

i would not judge anything till release date for both these systems alot of pre orders get not sold happens alot for most systems.
It was a smartass comment based on the fact that you said preorder numbers don't matter. Anyway, it doesn't matter. All that spews out of my mouth in these two theads is bullshit.

So I'm listening to the latest Bombcast, and it's a little speculation on their part, but they basically said when they talked the the guys at Respawn it didn't seem like there was any kind of real exclusivity deal in place for Titanfall, more like they are a small company and MS gave them financial incentive to have the Xbox One be the one next gen console they focused on first. Doesn't mean MS won't lock up Respawn at some point, especially if Titanfall does gangbusters but it also means we could easily be seeing Titanfall on the PS4 at some point (especially in say a GOTY edition).

So I'm listening to the latest Bombcast, and it's a little speculation on their part, but they basically said when they talked the the guys at Respawn it didn't seem like there was any kind of real exclusivity deal in place for Titanfall, more like they are a small company and MS gave them financial incentive to have the Xbox One be the one next gen console they focused on first. Doesn't mean MS won't lock up Respawn at some point, especially if Titanfall does gangbusters but it also means we could easily be seeing Titanfall on the PS4 at some point (especially in say a GOTY edition).
God I hope so. The more I see, the more I hear....just....going to be awesome.

I always over looked it but I got Killzone 2 for 5 and Killzone 3 for 8 so im going to power through both of them and see if I like them enough to get the new one when PS4 is out.
I've been doing the same. In the middle of Killzone 3 and enjoying it a lot more than 2 as the control options are better IMO.

Slogging through Killzone 2 myself right now. Its not bad, good graphics, decent gameplay. No idea really whats going on story wise though, never played killzone 1

Hoping KZ3 is better, sounds like it is.

Playing both to pick up the new one for ps4 as well.

[quote name="Gamer4life88" post="11022571" timestamp="1377794245"]
Oh, Titanfall is definitely coming to the PS4, the only question is when.[/quote]
Definitely? I wouldn't go that far. If it does I would expect it to be like Mass Effect. Either the PS4 gets Titanfall in late 2014 or 2015 or they get Titanfall 2.

Or like Dmaul said MS could wave their money and scoop them up. With the hype it might already be under consideration I dunno.

------

When it come to Killzone I had to power through Killzone 2 but also liked Killzone 3 much better. But to me it still didn't have the same blockbuster feel that some of the other PS3 exclusives did. I'm excited to see how KZ4 turns out but for me I'm starting to lose interest in the story. The MP is great though!

The mods deleted my apology? Really? Probably the only genuine thing I've posted in either thread and it was deleted.

Well, I guess I'll say it again. I'm asshole. I apologize. I'm not going to post anymore smartass remarks.

I'm kinda surprised to see Titanfall so low. I'm not a huge MP fan but that game looks ridiculously awesome. Hell, even Destiny's numbers seem low. I get they're new IPs but still...

Definitely? I wouldn't go that far. If it does I would expect it to be like Mass Effect. Either the PS4 gets Titanfall in late 2014 or 2015 or they get Titanfall 2. Or like Dmaul said MS could wave their money and scoop them up. With the hype it might already be under consideration I dunno.
MS published ME, that's why it took so long and a complete re-build of the game using a completely new engine to get the game on PS3 (not exactly cost effective). MS might have just paid for a time exclusivity plus a bonus if they keep their mouths shut, which might explain why Respawn or EA hasn't exactly said "Titanfall will never come to the PS4." So 2014 wouldn't be too far of a stretch, as you said.

bread's done
Back