PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I'm not too concerned with the UI right now since the PS4 is still in it's honeymoon but if the UI has little to no changes in the next couple years, especially with the library aspect, then I'll grab my pitchfork

Has anyone played Murdered: Soul Suspect yet? If so *or even not I guess...* does anyone know how accurately the town of Salem was created? *I have been studying the history of Salem for awhile now and just curious to know if they got it right*

Copying to USB storage is very slow. Formatting my USB stick to eFAT helped, but it takes way longer than it should. The transfer speed reminds me of doing anything hard drive related on PS3.

I hope this is something that be can fixed in an update.

Holy Shaq, just learned how Vita remote play can act like a second controller to play multiplayer games like Mercenary Kings. Such an awesome feature. And I just ordered a second DualShock 4 earlier today.

[quote name="surak" post="11852981" timestamp="1403155521"]Holy Shaq, just learned how Vita remote play can act like a second controller to play multiplayer games like Mercenary Kings. Such an awesome feature. And I just ordered a second DualShock 4 earlier today.[/quote]
I've looked and can't find a place that lists what games support this feature. Anyone find a place?

I've looked and can't find a place that lists what games support this feature. Anyone find a place?
You just start Remote Play from your Vita and leave the TV on. Sign into whatever account you want, then take your DS4, turn it on, and sign into another account.

Bam, two controllers. I use my Vita as one all the time.

Just finished watching the 30 minute gameplay video for MetalGear V. Wow that game looks super good. The Mother Base mechanics seem sweet too. I am definitely impressed and excited to play it.

On another topic, While playing WatchDogs tonight, I was thinking today about playing GTA V some more but I think I'm going to wait for the PS4 version to release. Don't currently have my PS3 hooked up and don't really feel like swapping it out with my PS4. Super excited that GTA Online characters will be able to take the leap with me. But it seems they are holding the Online heists for the NextGen versions of the game.

They are planning something big for gta next gen and heist is that big thing. Either they will make heist PC/next gen only or extra features just for those versions.

Has anyone played Murdered: Soul Suspect yet? If so *or even not I guess...* does anyone know how accurately the town of Salem was created? *I have been studying the history of Salem for awhile now and just curious to know if they got it right*
I haven't played the game, and most likely wont until it becomes much cheaper...

But if you've studied the town, you should be the expert (outside of someone who actually lives there) no?

Yeah, it's like this every gen in terms of the "no games" crap.

Buying year 1 is only for hardcore gamers with broad interests as there's always a lack of mainstream AAA games the first year or two. People who aren't into mid-tier, indie/downloadable games etc., or aren't ones who just want to play newest CoD etc. with better graphics should really wait for the first price drop at the earliest to buy.

I got my PS4 in March and I don't regret it at all. I thought Second Son was great--even if short. I don't really have time for long games anyway. I play some, but 5-10 hour games are a better fit for my schedule. MLB The Show is very good, and I'm liking Watch Dogs. On the download front, I really liked Contrast, Child of Light and Transistor. Resogun and Dead Nation are ok fun in short bursts. And there are several I haven't checked out yet like Stick it to the Man, Outlast, Don't Starve, Pixel Junk Shooter Ultimate and Trine 2.

Yeah, I didn't buy the PS4 to play those types of games--but I do enjoy them and they're great filler between big releases. I could have just stuck with my PS3 backlog, but I decided I'd rather get a jump on next gen, stick with just one platform this time, and do a better job of keeping up with, and focusing on, the games I really want to play and not ever have a backlog this go around.
What was it like? I've been thinking about trying it out. I've been trying game after game and much like you, I'm getting tired of a lot of video games. I've come to the conclusion that I prefer plot driven adventure games with some very limited AAA high quality games on rare occasion. My tastes in games have changed a lot and frankly, I'm getting tired of most video games.

What was it like? I've been thinking about trying it out. I've been trying game after game and much like you, I'm getting tired of a lot of video games. I've come to the conclusion that I prefer plot driven adventure games with some very limited AAA high quality games on rare occasion. My tastes in games have changed a lot and frankly, I'm getting tired of most video games.
Contrast was a great fun free game, I wouldn't have paid for that one. Was a great idea, but buggy and didn't feel complete. fun game, not great.

Honestly if you want some great new experiences, try Child of light or Transistor

Last edited by a moderator:
Contrast was a great fun free game, I wouldn't have paid for that one. Was a great idea, but buggy and didn't feel complete. fun game, not great.
^This. The idea behind the game was great. Unfortunately, the execution left a lot to be desired. This reminds me that I should go back and finish it.

Honestly if you want some great new experiences, try Child of light or Transistor
Agreed. I liked Contrast a lot for free. Definitely would be worth the $15 MSRP. Maybe for $5. Nice art style, some clever puzzles, decent story. But definitely buggy. With some that halt progress and require restarting a checkpoint and replaying content to get further.

Child of Light is fantastic if you're at all into RPGs--though there isn't much story. The battle system is a lot of fun.

Transistor I liked a lot to, but not as much. I wasn't as much a fan of the combat. Story was better--though mostly told through terminals and the power profiles you unlock. Art style and music are fantastic. Not sure it was worth $20 unless you're into new game+ modes and challenge rooms as it's only 5-6 hours to beat (Child of Light was 10-12 for me, and $5 cheaper). $10-15 for sure though.

Yo, play Contrast. It gets my recommendation. I really liked the story and its brevity made sure its poor mechanics didn't outstay the other part's welcome.

Dont work for me.
You're right. Guess that's only the Xbox. It still only takes about 2 seconds for me to cycle all the way to the right on PS4 just by holding right on the left stick or d-pad, having about 40 tabs.

Regarding GTA Online heists being next-gen exclusive, I'd bet against that for sure. While I would not be the slightest bit surprised if online heists for PS3/360 didn't release til November, there's no way they'll make them PS4/Xbox One exclusive. That would piss off an absurdly large number of people.

Regarding GTA Online heists being next-gen exclusive, I'd bet against that for sure. While I would not be the slightest bit surprised if online heists for PS3/360 didn't release til November, there's no way they'll make them PS4/Xbox One exclusive. That would piss off an absurdly large number of people.
Can't argue against that. With 30 million copies sold there is no way they are going to upset that many people.

they are holding something back to make it worth buying a year old game on nextgen/pc. i never said it was the full mode but can bet that they are going to make something thsoe versions only possible special modes.

Do that many people even still play GTAO? I mean, I would be willing to bet that less than a third of those sales even played the online component to begin with and a fraction of that number still play it. Most of the populace wouldn't even have the slightest clue that this content would even be available, exclusive or not.

I don't think it'd be as big a deal as you guys think if they made the heists PC/PS4/One exclusive. Not saying I think it will be, but I don't see there being a huge uprising if they decided to make it so.

Do that many people even still play GTAO? I mean, I would be willing to bet that less than a third of those sales even played the online component to begin with and a fraction of that number still play it. Most of the populace wouldn't even have the slightest clue that this content would even be available, exclusive or not.

I don't think it'd be as big a deal as you guys think if they made the heists PC/PS4/One exclusive. Not saying I think it will be, but I don't see there being a huge uprising if they decided to make it so.
I've been trying to sell my Special Edition copy of GTAV since about 1 week after it came out. Very disappointing game overall for me.

I'm way behind on this but finally got to play Infamous. It was short but a good showcase for the system. They timed you getting the new powers about perfectly.

i know this was talked here about madden no longer having nfl license to it self looks like that is false. according to nfl offices Ea has nfl exclusive rights for couple more years. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/20/ea-has-exclusive-license-from-nfl-for-a-couple-more-years/
That's a bummer. At the very least I would like to see some competition. It's amazing how different the sport genre landscape is compared to 10-15 years ago. Football at one point consisted of Madden, 2K, ESPN, QB Club, Gameday, Blitz, the Xbox game (title?), and probably something else. There was a few Arena Football games (Although popularity in that league has dropped). NHL had 2K not too long ago. NBA recently had a Sony game. MLB had MVP, 2K, High Heat, All-Star by Akklaim.

Today the only competition in the four major sports is MLB (but does anyone really count RBI?) and NBA but EA doesn't seem to try there. Soccer does have FIFA and PES but Konami seems to be losing market share every year. I can't remember the last time golf and Nascar had competition. Once and a while you might see an Indy Car game NCAA Football doesn't even have a game anymore, but I'll credit that to the crap fest the NCAA is involved with. Same with NCAA Basketball and Baseball. Tennis games are an after though.

I think the biggest reason for lack of competition is because of licensing rights pushing out smaller studios like 989 and Akklaim. It also seems like the market is shrinking although I will say that the games out today are alot deeper than in the past.

989, I totally forgot about them! Some of my earliest PS memories involved Coolboarders 3, Jet Moto 3(though 2 was my favorite) and 3Xtreme... I also had most of those MLB titles.

Y'know, I'd really like to see Jet Moto make a comeback.

That's a bummer. At the very least I would like to see some competition. It's amazing how different the sport genre landscape is compared to 10-15 years ago. Football at one point consisted of Madden, 2K, ESPN, QB Club, Gameday, Blitz, the Xbox game (title?), and probably something else. There was a few Arena Football games (Although popularity in that league has dropped). NHL had 2K not too long ago. NBA recently had a Sony game. MLB had MVP, 2K, High Heat, All-Star by Akklaim.

Today the only competition in the four major sports is MLB (but does anyone really count RBI?) and NBA but EA doesn't seem to try there. Soccer does have FIFA and PES but Konami seems to be losing market share every year. I can't remember the last time golf and Nascar had competition. Once and a while you might see an Indy Car game NCAA Football doesn't even have a game anymore, but I'll credit that to the crap fest the NCAA is involved with. Same with NCAA Basketball and Baseball. Tennis games are an after though.

I think the biggest reason for lack of competition is because of licensing rights pushing out smaller studios like 989 and Akklaim. It also seems like the market is shrinking although I will say that the games out today are alot deeper than in the past.
i think the microsoft sports games for nfl was called nfl fevor and came out on pc then on org xbox which at the time was pretty good and my opinon better then madden and 2k at the time. fevor was out until 2002 then 2k took over after dreamcast ended. i think they also had nhl which was not that great.

90's and early 00's were great times for sports games seeing just about every system maker and bigger 3rd party publishers had their own version of sports games. Now adays you mostly got one per sport with 2k being best basketball and the show selling so well made 2k stop making mlb. Madden has it's years it's good and bad and madden 25 was pretty good. This year madden seems like look of game wil be better but once again they are doing the bringing back old features from past and saying they are new.

the player lock they are saying is new feature has been in ncaa for years and was in madden early last gen. they also took the qb vision they had back on org xbox/ps2 games and now put it on def. With that said at this point every sports game is getting stale last two nba 2k games have been the same game other then updated stuff for new gen. mlb the show has really stop improving the game play at this point and now has no 2k to beat.

Seeing madden 25 has rosters you can share it will be interesting to see the sale numbers for madden 15 now that people can update rosters with no work from them just other people and play just about same game for free. That is what im doing for my college football fix seeing those games are done just update roster come football season on ncaa 14.

i think the microsoft sports games for nfl was called nfl fevor and came out on pc then on org xbox which at the time was pretty good and my opinon better then madden and 2k at the time. fevor was out until 2002 then 2k took over after dreamcast ended. i think they also had nhl which was not that great.
Fever.

I cant decide between the blue or the white. :whistle2:k...Im leaning toward white.

149xr1u.jpg

I like the blue because it matches the giant light on the back, but I really wish that they'd release a pink one. I know it's going to happen eventually, but I wish it was sooner rather than latter. Still, it's very nice to see that the new controllers are making their way to the USA.

I prefer the black controllers so I'll stick with the two I have. :D

I've never been into color controllers or consoles and always go with black if that's an option.

If anyone is interested, I seen they released a DLC pack for Watch Dogs. It's all of the preorder bonuses from all the retailers. It's free for season pass owners. But I think it's the only way to get it. I just finished the story yesterday, but still have a lot of side quests to do and I haven't really messed with the online portion yet.

http://youtu.be/2Wv6bMyOy-0

Towerfall Ascension and Strider are the Playstation Plus games for July. This is also the last week to pick up the June PS+ games.

(If you don't have it yet, Strider is awesome!)

Was really thinking we would get an actual retail game for July. Not that I mind, been wanting to try Strider.

Also about the purple controller, go to evilcontrollers.com. Don't think you can get the translucent but you can definitely get a purple one. I was consider getting either a purple/green splatter one or a blue/orange splatter one.

bread's done
Back