PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

after smash what does wii u have a new zelda other then that they don't have much. sooner or later you can't keep having mk 8/ smash sell systems
You do realize Nintendo doesn't typically announce games far in advance right? Id list the stuff they have coming out end of 2014 and start of 2015 but you don't really care to hear it anyways.

Downloading PT now. I thought it was a trailer and just now found out it's a game demo.

I will say this. If Silent Hills is exclusive it'll sell systems. I know Silent Hill isn't one of the "best" selling franchises but that series does have a strong cult following that's for sure. I know my brother was pretty excited about the new announcement.

I have to laugh about the Tomb Raider shenanigans going on.  With Destiny's timed exclusive content (for a full friggin' year!), all I kept hearing from PS4 people was "Suck it up, it's fair."  Tomb Raider happens?  "Zomg, unfair!  This better be a timed exclusive!".  Which just makes me laugh and hope it's a ridiculous long time exclusive like Destiny's.

Although, most of that discussion is happening off these forums . . . but it just makes me laugh.

Personally, I own both systems so it doesn't really impact me that much.  I buy most multi-plats on Xbox One because I prefer the controller and have more friends on there.  But I've been enjoying my PS4 quite a bit lately.

My big question (and this counts for both consoles) is this:  When the hell are we going to see games?!  I mean, a decent amount of big titles.  Maybe I got spoiled by last gens "end" period . . . but it felt like every month there was at least a couple of pretty epic games coming out.  This generation seems so slow and far between on releases!

I have to laugh about the Tomb Raider shenanigans going on. With Destiny's timed exclusive content (for a full friggin' year!), all I kept hearing from PS4 people was "Suck it up, it's fair." Tomb Raider happens? "Zomg, unfair! This better be a timed exclusive!". Which just makes me laugh and hope it's a ridiculous long time exclusive like Destiny's.

Although, most of that discussion is happening off these forums . . . but it just makes me laugh.

Personally, I own both systems so it doesn't really impact me that much. I buy most multi-plats on Xbox One because I prefer the controller and have more friends on there. But I've been enjoying my PS4 quite a bit lately.

My big question (and this counts for both consoles) is this: When the hell are we going to see games?! I mean, a decent amount of big titles. Maybe I got spoiled by last gens "end" period . . . but it felt like every month there was at least a couple of pretty epic games coming out. This generation seems so slow and far between on releases!
We're getting a ton of ridiculously good games this holiday season.

Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Destiny, and Middle Earth Shadows of Mordor.

Exclusives wise there's Little Big Planet 3, Drive Club, Journey Remastered, Last of Us, and plenty more I'm probably missing.

Honestly you'd have to be insane to say we aren't getting a lot of "epic" games this year.

Comeback? comeback for what. If you're to blind or stupid (your choice) to see that ps4 is way more than herp derp "Indiestation 4" then there nothing to talk about. Never mind the fact that indies made up only like 15 mins of the show.
Here's the current list of RELEASED games:

1001 Spikes
Awesomenauts Assemble!
Backgammon Blitz
Basement Crawl
Blue Estate
Bound by Flame
Cel Damage HD
Child of Light
Daylight
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
Don’t Starve: Console Edition
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
EA Sports UFC
Entwined
FEZ
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
inFAMOUS Second Son
King Oddball
Lego The Hobbit
Mercenary Kings
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
MLB 14: The Show
MouseCraft
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Outlast
PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
Puddle
Pure Chess
R.B.I. Baseball 14
Rayman Legends
Sniper Elite 3
Sparkle 2
Sportsfriends
Stealth Inc: Ultimate Edition
SteamWorld Dig
Strider
Strike Suit Zero
That Trivia Game
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Last of Us
The Lego Movie Videogame
Thief
Titan Attacks
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
TowerFall Ascension
Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark
Transistor
Trials Fusion
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
War Thunder
Watch_Dogs
Wolfenstein: The New Order

Out of these 54 games, 16 are legit 'retail' PS4 games. The rest are either indie or indie-type games. That's 69% indie games currently. If you take out remakes and the glorified demo(such as Tomb Raider DE, Final Fantasy XIV, The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid V GZ) that's only 12 retail PS4 games or 76% of all PS4 releases are indie(type) games.

So yes, I stand by my statement of Play(indie)station 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

1001 Spikes
Awesomenauts Assemble!
Backgammon Blitz
Basement Crawl
Blue Estate
Bound by Flame
Cel Damage HD
Child of Light
Daylight
EA Sports UFC
Entwined
FEZ
inFAMOUS Second Son
King Oddball
Lego The Hobbit
Mercenary Kings
MouseCraft
Outlast
Puddle
Pure Chess
R.B.I. Baseball 14
Rayman Legends
Sniper Elite 3
Sparkle 2
Sportsfriends
SteamWorld Dig
Strider
Strike Suit Zero
That Trivia Game
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Last of Us
The Lego Movie Videogame
Thief
Titan Attacks
TowerFall Ascension
Transistor
Trials Fusion
War Thunder
Watch_Dogs

Out of these 54 games, 16 are legit 'retail' PS4 games. The rest are either indie or indie-type games. That's 69% indie games currently. If you take out remakes and the glorified demo(such as Tomb Raider DE, Final Fantasy XIV, The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid V GZ) that's only 12 retail PS4 games or 76% of all PS4 releases are indie(type) games.

Haha are you for real?

1001 Spikes
Awesomenauts Assemble!
Backgammon Blitz
Basement Crawl
Blue Estate
Bound by Flame
Cel Damage HD
Child of Light
Daylight
EA Sports UFC
Entwined
FEZ
inFAMOUS Second Son
King Oddball
Lego The Hobbit
Mercenary Kings
MouseCraft
Outlast
Puddle
Pure Chess
R.B.I. Baseball 14
Rayman Legends
Sniper Elite 3
Sparkle 2
Sportsfriends
SteamWorld Dig
Strider
Strike Suit Zero
That Trivia Game
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Last of Us
The Lego Movie Videogame
Thief
Titan Attacks
TowerFall Ascension
Transistor
Trials Fusion
War Thunder
Watch_Dogs

The indie games are probably what is keeping the PS4 alive while people keep saying it has "no games". To an average consumer who browses the PS Store for games, they don't know the developers that make these games, let alone that they are indie. A good game is a good game, it doesn't matter who made it, or how much money was pour into the game. Sony made a decision to keep majority of their developers working on PS3 while PS4 was in development. Last of Us, God of War Ascension, Gran Turismo 6, Beyond Two Souls, and Ratchet & Clank into the Nexus was released just last year. It takes more than 1 year to make a new game.

You can't really compare timed DLC to a full game lol.

Also, I don't think any Xbox People really cared about Destiny stuff being timed.
The timed DLC is the only reason why I'm buying that game on PS4.

Even willing to wait however long takes to get a PS4 to do so.

Seriously sounds like you're the troll here. You can't seriously tell me The Last of Us, Tomb Raider DE, and FF 14 are "glorified demos" and then call someone else a troll.
I quote myself:

If you take out remakes and the glorified demo(such as Tomb Raider DE, Final Fantasy XIV, The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid V GZ)

Man, talk about selective reading and quoting on your end. The demo was targeted at Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes, which IS pretty much a glorified demo.

So I have yet to see the trailer for the new Silent Hill, but seeing as how I've been dying for a great SH game since 3, I have high hopes for this one. On the topic of Tearaway, I bought it day 1 on the Vita and enjoyed it for awhile, but I kinda got over it quickly. The whole drawing your own items aspect was a great touch and a unique one at that, but that even kinda lost it's appeal to me after awhile. I dunno, just my 2 cents...

Didn't realize Rime was made by Tequila Works. Alot of people hated their other game, Deadlight. Wonder if they'll do better with this one.

We're getting a ton of ridiculously good games this holiday season.

Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Destiny, and Middle Earth Shadows of Mordor.

Exclusives wise there's Little Big Planet 3, Drive Club, Journey Remastered, Last of Us, and plenty more I'm probably missing.

Honestly you'd have to be insane to say we aren't getting a lot of "epic" games this year.
It just feels like last gen, we got a lot more around this time. Maybe it's because there were some sleeper hits in there (like the Walking Dead) that really made me happy. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for a lot of the games listed . . . but for whatever reason, they just don't feel as epic.

Maybe I'm just getting old though, and it's like how Christmas gets less exciting each year.

You can't really compare timed DLC to a full game lol.

Also, I don't think any Xbox People really cared about Destiny stuff being timed.
That's why I said that I hope it's a really long timed exclusive, like Destiny. And if you went to the Bungie forums about a month ago (right before and during the beta), you'd see that there has been a huge uproar over the PS4 exclusivity. A year is a long time for a "timed exclusive". I've never heard of a timed exclusive being dated that far out. Have you?

Lost and Damned/Ballard of Gay Tony.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Rise of the Tomb Raider is released on PS4.  It would be around when no one gives a shit about it anymore.

The irony is that half of these "indie" games would have been retail releases in the ps2 days but because they don't look like uncharted its all of sudden not AAA (term that most people don't even know what it means) or a big title.

1001 Spikes
Awesomenauts Assemble!
Backgammon Blitz
Basement Crawl
Blue Estate
Bound by Flame
Cel Damage HD
Child of Light
Daylight
EA Sports UFC
Entwined
FEZ
inFAMOUS Second Son
King Oddball
Lego The Hobbit
Mercenary Kings
MouseCraft
Outlast
Puddle
Pure Chess
R.B.I. Baseball 14
Rayman Legends
Sniper Elite 3
Sparkle 2
Sportsfriends
SteamWorld Dig
Strider
Strike Suit Zero
That Trivia Game
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Last of Us
The Lego Movie Videogame
Thief
Titan Attacks
TowerFall Ascension
Transistor
Trials Fusion
War Thunder
Watch_Dogs

you missed retail games in that list of yours

Biggest disappointment with the system as I've already said is system software and updates. I don't think the Sony Engineer's are working hard enough to get the important features out the door.
I agree that Sony is way behind when it comes to firmware updates but I think 2.0 will include more then just Shareplay. I just want some folders dammit lol

ta62tag.jpg

This game will seriously mess with your head.
I tried playing in the dark with my A40s on, nope lol

Sounds like Tomb Raider is indeed a timed exclusive. Words straight from Phil Spencer, and while he doesn't dodge them he openly admits that the game has a "Duration".

Here's our conversation:

"When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job," Spencer told Eurogamer. "My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

"I don't own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can't talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have."

So, what, exactly, is that deal?

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes.

Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?

"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Can you tell us how long the duration is?

"No. It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and then. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

Angry gamers have directed many of their comments towards Square Enix, accusing the publisher of selling out and alienating their PlayStation and PC owning customers.

"Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," wrote Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr. "We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft."

On an unrelated note, I did the XBONE thumbsticks/DS4 mod to my controller..  I lost the damn reset button, but I HIGHLY recommend the change. 

My original thumbsticks melted off the controller, but even if they hadn't I'd still do the upgrade.  I prefer the grip and they feel like there is no way they will wear out.

This whole TR exclusivity deal really blew up in their faces lol No way they wanted to reveal it is timed the very next day, but the backlash was strong with this one and made them look bad so they caved.

Sounds like Tomb Raider is indeed a timed exclusive. Words straight from Phil Spencer, and while he doesn't dodge them he openly admits that the game has a "Duration".

Here's our conversation:

"When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job," Spencer told Eurogamer. "My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

"I don't own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can't talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have."

So, what, exactly, is that deal?

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes.

Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?

"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Can you tell us how long the duration is?

"No. It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and then. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

Angry gamers have directed many of their comments towards Square Enix, accusing the publisher of selling out and alienating their PlayStation and PC owning customers.

"Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," wrote Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr. "We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft."
There's no "seems like" in there to me. More like definitely.

This whole TR exclusivity deal really blew up in their faces lol No way they wanted to reveal it is timed the very next day, but the backlash was strong with this one and made them look bad so they caved.
Or it could have just been some mix up's word of mouth wise.

Perhaps Microsoft said it was a timed exclusive but the Square Enix reps that said it wasn't said so because they weren't sure what they were allowed to say.

Everything doesn't have to be a conspiracy. :wall:

Or it could have just been some mix up's word of mouth wise.

Perhaps Microsoft said it was a timed exclusive but the Square Enix reps that said it wasn't said so because they weren't sure what they were allowed to say.

Everything doesn't have to be a conspiracy. :wall:
no but it is a repeat offense that MS has had when it has come to this. Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc... Lots of games they claim are exclusives and either won't comment or they say it will never go to Sony... then it does. They use the word "exclusive" like it will only be out on Xbox to bait dumb people into believing that. Where as in Sony's press conference they referenced timed exclusive numerous times.

no but it is a repeat offense that MS has had when it has come to this. Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc... Lots of games they claim are exclusives and either won't comment or they say it will never go to Sony... then it does. They use the word "exclusive" like it will only be out on Xbox to bait dumb people into believing that. Where as in Sony's press conference they referenced timed exclusive numerous times.
Bioshock was exclusive to the Xbox 360 two years before it came to the PS3. Now obviously that's not exclusive but it's still a ridiclously long time. I doubt Microsoft had a contract signed that long either so perhaps 2K just didn't want to release it on the PS3 in it's early years and Microsoft didn't know if it would even come out to it which is why they said what they did.

Mass Effect is another HUGE example of that. The game dropped in November 2007 on the Xbox 360 but came out on the PS3 5 YEARS later in December 2012. Now there's no doubt in my mind Microsoft didn't sign a 5 year exclusivity deal so again EA didn't want to release it on the PS3, and Microsoft said exclusive because they figured it wasn't coming. Hell you can say it wasn't an exclusive but a 5 year delay can sure as hell sound like exclusive to me.

You also can't just say etc..... I need examples not you just saying crap, especially when you claim Microsoft called Bioshock and Mass Effect exclusives without articles to confirm that.

Lets not act like Sony's been clean either. They baited people hard this year with that Far Cry 4 Coop exclusive mode making it out to be something HUGE then revealing it's just a trial. Grand Theft Auto 5? They used the announcement trailer but took out the PC/Xbox logo's to make people think it was exclusive and it worked. People on this forum talked about it briefly before the announcement trailer came out and it was learned it wasn't an exclusive.

Make a list for Xbox One like you did for PS4 and you will see some shocking similarities.
What's a XBONE again? That black box that you can watch TV with? Yea, no thanks. Out of their 3 exclusives, 2 are coming out on PC and one was made free to play. That and they've back pedalled twice. Their track record isn't too hot.

What's a XBONE again? That black box that you can watch TV with? Yea, no thanks. Out of their 3 exclusives, 2 are coming out on PC and one was made free to play. That and they've back peddled twice. Their track record isn't too hot.
Wait what are you even mumbling about? The Xbox One has 4 exclusives this holiday: Halo Master Chief, Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, and Blind Forest and only blind forest is coming to the PC....

Bioshock was exclusive to the Xbox 360 two years before it came to the PS3. Now obviously that's not exclusive but it's still a ridiclously long time. I doubt Microsoft had a contract signed that long either so perhaps 2K just didn't want to release it on the PS3 in it's early years and Microsoft didn't know if it would even come out to it which is why they said what they did.

Mass Effect is another HUGE example of that. The game dropped in November 2007 on the Xbox 360 but came out on the PS3 5 YEARS later in December 2012. Now there's no doubt in my mind Microsoft didn't sign a 5 year exclusivity deal so again EA didn't want to release it on the PS3, and Microsoft said exclusive because they figured it wasn't coming. Hell you can say it wasn't an exclusive but a 5 year delay can sure as hell sound like exclusive to me.

You also can't just say etc..... I need examples not you just saying crap, especially when you claim Microsoft called Bioshock and Mass Effect exclusives without articles to confirm that.

Lets not act like Sony's been clean either. They baited people hard this year with that Far Cry 4 Coop exclusive mode making it out to be something HUGE then revealing it's just a trial. Grand Theft Auto 5? They used the announcement trailer but took out the PC/Xbox logo's to make people think it was exclusive and it worked. People on this forum talked about it briefly before the announcement trailer came out and it was learned it wasn't an exclusive.
Sorry, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Eternal sonata... all were games that were hyped as MS exclusives. I love how you say well it was 5 years so it doesn't matter. The fact is is that all the exclusives were timed and then it was the developers choice to make it for the other system after the timed exclusive. Just state that and say it is a timed exclusive, if it then never goes to the other platform because the developer doesn't want to put in the time then MS doesn't look the worse. But instead they tout it is only played on Xbox, it is an exclusive, it will never be on PS.

Can someone please help me understand this? I know the kid who got the first PS4 did it... I know Yosh did it too... But I really have no context, and it's annoying.
It's been a huge meme on GAF since PS4 came out. When Yosh made the gesture during the PS4 midnight launch date TV special, GAF went to nerdgasm x infinity. I'll admit though, that was really cool and funny of him to do as a nod to the gaming community while it flew over the rest of the viewers' heads when he did it.

The Silent Hills teaser is a playable trailer so I would refer to it as Silent Hills not PT. But anyways, yeah that game was really scare. I know the naysayers can point out "jump scares" but that game just has a disturbing, scary atmosphere to it. So the horror fans will eat this game up. I didn't want to play the demo myself after reading all of the comments online at GAF. I just watched a stream and minimized the window so that it wouldn't take up my entire monitor since I watched it late last night lol.

The most important thing that happened yesterday that we all are forgetting to talk about was the cardbox box features in MGS V :p I love the idea in all seriousness. I'm so hyped for this game. It's almost time to duckroll bitches.

bread's done
Back