PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

It actually released on two consoles Xbox One and the 360. I think the real problem was releasing it on the same day as Fallout 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
square enix complained about how the reboot of tomb raider didnt meet sales expectations when it launched on ps360. not sure why they would think launching on the x1 when its install base is less than ps4 would work out in their favor. on top of launching the same day as probably the most hyped game of 2015.

It's really bizarre. MS shelled out all that money for timed exclusivity, and basically hung the game out to die. Even stranger still when you consider MS is the marketing partner for FO4.

I'm sure the game will do just fine once everything is said and done, but MS released it when they didn't really need to... Makes me think they were banking on Uncharted's release not getting delayed.

Thing is guys, Square could care less!!  I am sure they got a boatload of money to do the timed exclusivity and it pretty much meant they were already going to get a profit.  The ones who should be disappointed are MS themselves.  Funny thing is, once PC and PS4 are released I am sure it will be pure profit for Square and they get the last laugh...

I still don't get the move more by MS, but every MS fan touts how the exclusives this Fall on Xbox kill, yea they almost have too many, which is dumb I know.  But gamers only have so much to spend.  Spreading out all these releases would have done MS better, and I think they will learn this from TR's release.

However, to contradict myself, the original TR sold the best in Europe, and MS has done so poorly there, not sure if they thought it would help sell consoles, but obviously with the game being announced as timed, I am sure tons of Euro's are fine with waiting for the PS4 release and are content with UC4 this Spring.

Thing is guys, Squ.......ent with UC4 this Spring.
It's not just about sales though.. the reason for the reboot was to bring back "fans" to the series and create new ones. This deal is segmenting the fan base and killing any momentum the first one created. Also a 6 month old PC port and 1 year old PS4 port are not going to sell gangbusters, especially on the PS4 when it goes up against next year's fall lineup which is likely going to be even more stellar than this years.

The move was likely inked because Microsoft wanted to counter Uncharted, and Square didn't want a similar game releasing next to it on the PS4 so in theory it looked great, but when Sony delayed Uncharted the whole deal blew up in the faces of both companies.

What should have happened is Square and Microsoft should have agreed to delay Tomb Raider until March 18th (Uncharted 4 release date) or a date close to that and kept the original vision of the deal intact, however I'm sure there was a contractual obligation to release "holiday 2015" which forced Square to release when they did. I actually think this release was planned for early October to kind of bridge the gap between Forza and Halo, but there was likely a small delay that forced it into November. But last year Sunset Overdrive followed that schedule and it still flopped so who knows if it would have made a difference.

What I think is kinda funny is Microsoft touts "the greatest line up in xbox history" but the only exclusives they arent a remake they put out was Forza (yearly release), Halo 5 (best selling game for October but sold WAY less than any other Halo game at release) and Tomb Raider which is timed exclusive and was forced to go up against one of the biggest gaming releases of the last few years.

Xbox was able to get a win in October but they really didn't move that many consoles in a Halo release month which should be concerning.

November will be interesting to see how it goes. Im sure they sold a lot with the free game/gift card deal (my store did) but after that week seems people stopped buying Xbox and went back to getting PS4s mostly due to CoD bundle and Star Wars.

Still, they are selling great compared to 360 but after your "biggest line up ever" if they haven't made a dent into Sony's US lead, i'm not sure where they can go from there.

What I think is kinda funny is Microsoft touts "the greatest line up in xbox history" but the only exclusives they arent a remake they put out was Forza (yearly release), Halo 5 (best selling game for October but sold WAY less than any other Halo game at release) and Tomb Raider which is timed exclusive and was forced to go up against one of the biggest gaming releases of the last few years.

Xbox was able to get a win in October but they really didn't move that many consoles in a Halo release month which should be concerning.

November will be interesting to see how it goes. Im sure they sold a lot with the free game/gift card deal (my store did) but after that week seems people stopped buying Xbox and went back to getting PS4s mostly due to CoD bundle and Star Wars.

Still, they are selling great compared to 360 but after your "biggest line up ever" if they haven't made a dent into Sony's US lead, i'm not sure where they can go from there.
Next year will be "the second best lineup in Xbox history"?

Thing is guys, Square could care less!! I am sure they got a boatload of money to do the timed exclusivity and it pretty much meant they were already going to get a profit. The ones who should be disappointed are MS themselves. Funny thing is, once PC and PS4 are released I am sure it will be pure profit for Square and they get the last laugh...
i highly doubt the exclusivity deal covered most of the costs for making the game. if that was the case, why not just go all in and completely make it exclusive forever. no one here knows what the money figure was, but common sense would dictate they would still need to sell a decent amount of copies to break even let alone turn a good profit. i would see MS saying "hey, this is the projected sales you would get on ps4, heres X amount to off set that for a year of exclusivity"

ill honestly be shocked if rise of the tomb raider even comes close to the sales figures of the 2013 reboot. between the exclusivity deal and the smaller install base of next gen compared to last gen (since rise isnt coming to ps3 it seems), the deck is stacked against them. "boatload of money" or not from the MS deal.

Next year will be "the second best lineup in Xbox history"?
Yeah but think of how many hours people have logged in XBL and how many records they've set for outube trailer views and how many times the "X" button has been pushed by females between the age of 18 and 25.

^ These are still the only numbers that Xbox officially releases right?

That's 3 out of the 4 games...

Well Aaron Greenberg extended "regular season" so he could include Gears remake and Rare Replay, so maybe that's what he's talking about except that would be 5.
Even so, I said, "the only exclusives they released that aren't a remake", so I acknowledged Gears and Rare Replay. I suppose I should have said Remake/Rerelease since while I like Rare Replay its just a thrown together collection of older games that all they did was port over to X1.

Even so, I said, "the only exclusives they released that aren't a remake", so I acknowledged Gears and Rare Replay. I suppose I should have said Remake/Rerelease since while I like Rare Replay its just a thrown together collection of older games that all they did was port over to X1.
Oh sorry missed that.. yeah with that exclusion I have no idea then.

The commercial doesn't include Rare Replay aa far as I know of so:
Gears UE
Halo 5
Forza 6
Rise of the Tomb Raider

So I've been trying to spend some time with Fallout. My game had a glitch towards the beginning when you talk to Preston in the Museum. He wouldn't response to me. So I had to restart, and haven't got to spend too much time with it. Hopefully I can play some more today. What I did play, I'm unsure about. I mean it seems alright but the hype definitely hurt this game. And some of the graphics/textures are terrible. Looking at water from a short distance away and it looks like a PS2 game. Hoping it turns around for me and I enjoy it. Plus I think someone spoiled the ending for me. It's a shame you can't even read comments on the PS Blog(about a unrelated game) and people are trying to ruin the game for people.

Not saying it's a bad game, just saying my impressions haven't been met so far.
How do you guys feel about it?

I am not that far yet but so far I think I like Skyrim better, it's still a good game. I heard the game get better though once you start playing the main story line mission. I think I already put 15 hours in and I haven't really started the main story yet so my opinion might change. Skyrim just hooked me with its story right away. I do hope Bethesda is working on a new engine for Skyrim.

If you mean "the greatest games" commercial I'm referring to the end slide that shows tomb raider halo froza gears and rare replay.

Either way it doesn't matter because I said games that aren't a remaster/rerelease and both gears and rare replay are.

Already have 50% of the trophies for Fallout... loving the game so far, the story is interesting and the way you are put against the different factions is fun.  Not to mention getting some of the more powerful weapons like the fat boy, missile launcher, sniper rifles..

Plus my guy is super powerful, and Vats is awesome to use as it gets better, seeing those guys explode on impact is very satisfying.  Not a game of the year for me but top 3 this year.  The Witcher is still my choice for game of the year, similar size to Fallout, but great graphics put it over the top.

ITT: griping about the competition when the thread is supposed to be about the console itself.

Can we get back to that original topic? Just saying, I come to this thread for PS4 news.

Already have 50% of the trophies for Fallout... loving the game so far, the story is interesting and the way you are put against the different factions is fun. Not to mention getting some of the more powerful weapons like the fat boy, missile launcher, sniper rifles..

Plus my guy is super powerful, and Vats is awesome to use as it gets better, seeing those guys explode on impact is very satisfying. Not a game of the year for me but top 3 this year. The Witcher is still my choice for game of the year, similar size to Fallout, but great graphics put it over the top.
Witcher 3 is my goty also, on top of the graphics, the music and atmosphere was so damn good.. I need to get back there and finish the game and dlc.. maybe over Thanksgiving if I'm not too busy increasing my backlog with all the sales.. lol

When you're desperate you'll grab onto anything you think will help...
I didn't say much at the time, but if they really want to believe that to be true - that's pretty week. I mean, two of those are port collections, one is an annualized(yes, I know it's technically different than Horizon) racer, then you've got a timed "exclusive" followed by arguably the weakest entry in their #1 flagship franchise. It's still a decent lineup - but there's no reason to make such bold claims over it.

Yes, I would say the same thing if Sony was claiming such a thing.

That wasn't meant as a slam against any company in particular, I meant it more to say that when you're behind, you use whatever positive you can find to grasp on to and try to use it to build momentum. It can be applied to any business trying to get a foothold and try to close the gap on whatever company is ahead.

That wasn't meant as a slam against any company in particular, I meant it more to say that when you're behind, you use whatever positive you can find to grasp on to and try to use it to build momentum. It can be applied to any business trying to get a foothold and try to close the gap on whatever company is ahead.
Yeah, like how Sony would spin numbers and such last gen much like MS does now.

Thought about it more, it would be like Sony saying the same thing about last years' lineup... TLoU, Destiny, LBP3 & Driveclub.

Question for anyone bought the disc release of Nathan Drake Collection: when the games are installing, can you hear the disc reader and disc drive going crazy? I can hear the disc start spinning up and slowing down quite frequently, and I can hear the disc laser moving around a lot.

Not sure if this is normal, but only asking b/c I got and error saying "cannot continue with application" and that "disc can't be read". 

Question for anyone bought the disc release of Nathan Drake Collection: when the games are installing, can you hear the disc reader and disc drive going crazy? I can hear the disc start spinning up and slowing down quite frequently, and I can hear the disc laser moving around a lot.

Not sure if this is normal, but only asking b/c I got and error saying "cannot continue with application" and that "disc can't be read".
Did you buy it new? Sometimes the system throws that error even when there's just a thumbprint on the disk.

Did you buy it new? Sometimes the system throws that error even when there's just a thumbprint on the disk.
Well, the thing is... I bought the press kit which is why I'm asking. If this disc is fucked, it's not like I can just swap it out/return/exchange it.

I deleted the install, skipped the update, and reinstalled Uncharted 2 and it now works fine, but I can still hear the disc spinning up/down a lot and the laser moving frequently. Never heard this much activity from any PS4 game.

I'm installing Uncharted 1 now and see how that goes. It shows the install as 7 minutes but really, is taking closer to 20-30.

How long does it take to upload a video from Sharefactory to YouTube for everyone?

I tried uploading a 2 minute video to Youtube twice this morning (about 3 hours) and its still not showing. I never received an error message or anything, but its still not showing up.

So I finally purchased a second ps4 for my son(11). Was finding conflicting reports on this. So I came with some of most knowledgeable people I know.
Account 1(has plus)
Account 2(doesnt have plus)

If I sign in on my sons ps4 as the primary account(account 1), then he signs in on the same system under his account(account 2). Then on my system, he signs in(account 2) and make it his primary system and I log in with a second account(account 1). Would we both get PS+? Could he download all the psn games I own?

Basically I want him to be able to play online and be able to download and play all the digital ps4 games I've got over the past two years. I'm almost positive the game sharing will work, but what about playing online? Could we both log in and play online at the same time?

So I finally purchased a second ps4 for my son(11). Was finding conflicting reports on this. So I came with some of most knowledgeable people I know.
Account 1(has plus)
Account 2(doesnt have plus)

If I sign in on my sons ps4 as the primary account(account 1), then he signs in on the same system under his account(account 2). Then on my system, he signs in(account 2) and make it his primary system and I log in with a second account(account 1). Would we both get PS+? Could he download all the psn games I own?

Basically I want him to be able to play online and be able to download and play all the digital ps4 games I've got over the past two years. I'm almost positive the game sharing will work, but what about playing online? Could we both log in and play online at the same time?
If I understand you correctly, the answers would be yes you could both log online and play together at the same time. Assuming you both are logged under account 1 and 2 respectively.

When you make a PS4 your primary system (you can do this up to two systems), any secondary PSN accounts logged onto that same primary system will get to share the PS+ memberships from the primary PSN account (even if the secondary account does not have PS+)

How long does it take to upload a video from Sharefactory to YouTube for everyone?

I tried uploading a 2 minute video to Youtube twice this morning (about 3 hours) and its still not showing. I never received an error message or anything, but its still not showing up.
My videos are only around a minute long. But even that takes me like 10 minutes about. But my upload speed is only like 0.47 mbps

I bought 3, three-month PlayStation Plus cards from Walmart today, and attempted to enter them all on my PS4 system through the "redeem codes" method. None worked, all giving me the error code, "WC-40355-7." The link on Sony's website gives a very short answer saying that it's a sub account, and not a master. My account is not a sub-account, and I have never had anything but the single master account.

My Plus membership is 5 days away from expiring, and now I have 3 useless card that will not work. I also attempted to enter them on the PS app and directly on Sony's site, there I only get an invalid code error. Has this happened to anyone before? I'm pretty frustrated here.

The cards, as far as I can tell are all authentic, bought directly from Walmart, and I personally scratched the code myself.

Anyone have any experience with video output messing up?

My PS4 just started displaying a black screen. I did a reboot, it shows it go through a storage check, but then the screen goes black again.

I tried holding the power button down during a reboot and it just flashes a static screen.

The problem started after being in rest mode.

I'm fairly open to ideas at this point.

[Edit:] Never mind, it decided to just start working again without doing anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone else having issues with the Hulu app on PS4? Everytime I try to open it, it says corrupt save data. Tried deleting and re-download and install, still same thing. Hmm....

Hey everyone. Thanks to the recent Target deal, I have a PS4...or will on Christmas Day! I've been looking at install sizes for some games and the 500gb drive doesn't seem like it will be good for very long! So...what to do?

I've seen reference to hybrid/SSHD drives, but they seem to only be 1tb? Other recs are for the external Seagate backup drives in the 2tb size. Is this the best option? I think I read in one spot that WD external backup drives are soldered in such a way that the connection won't work. Is this true? Anyone have any particular input?
Update: I ended up ordering the HGST 7k1000 1tb drive. I really considered the Seagate backup option, but ultimately due to bad experiences in the past I just could not pull the trigger on a Seagate drive. I'm sure at some point in the future I may wish I had gone with a 2tb drive, but this will keep me going a while. Now just have to wait for Christmas day!

bread's done
Back