Playstation 4 Predictions

[quote name='SynGamer']I haven't seen that rumor but if it holds true I guess that's an OK improvement. That's 27 MBps. So to fill 1GB of memory, we're looking at 38 seconds minimum. I have no doubt that we'll see A LOT of streaming from the disc with the new generation of consoles. I'm still hoping for 8x (and REALLY hoping for a 12x). Even at 8x that would be 36 MBps which means 1GB of memory would take roughly 28 seconds which is a sizable drop.

Now, should Sony miraculously put a 12x blu-ray drive in the PS4, we're looking at 54 MBps, which means 1GB of memory would only take 19 seconds to fill... (food for thought)

I'm sure some people are rolling their eyes, but I'm sure we ALL remember how much of an inconvenience the mandatory installs were. With a proper blu-ray drive, developers can actually rely on the streaming speed versus loading the games on our HDDs. Plus, we're looking at SUPER QUICK load times for your average game. If developers only need to load a 200-300 MB to get the level started, that's 5-6 second load times, and then the rest of the level can load in the background if/when necessary.

EDIT: one thing I forgot to mention previously was PS Vita integration. if Nintendo did one thing right with the Wii U it was the ability to let other people use the TV and continue your game on the gamepad. If Sony can integrate something similar between the PS4 and Vita, I'm instantly sold. Essentially Remote Play that actually works properly. I believe the current issue is the PS3 doesn't have enough memory to stream the game to the Vita without the developers purposely downgrading the PS3 game slightly to not eat up as much memory...which really not many devs are doing as we can see. That shouldn't be a problem for the PS4.[/QUOTE]

I had seen rumor of 6x blu-ray for both Microsoft and Sony. What is the speed of the drive in the PS3? 2x?

[quote name='Indiana']I had seen rumor of 6x blu-ray for both Microsoft and Sony. What is the speed of the drive in the PS3? 2x?[/QUOTE]

2x yes, which is the minimum in order to actually read blu-ray discs. In 2006 when the PS3 came out, that was fine since it was new tech, but the PS4 should honestly have at least an 8x drive to really utilize the higher read speed of blu-ray.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Stuff I want:

-Removable 7200 RPM 2.5" HDD (I would prefer a 3.5" drive, but that might make the system too large)
-A matte finish and available in colors other than black or white
-At least 2 Front AND 4 Rear USB 3.0 ports
-Compatibility with external USB HDDs
-12x Blu-Ray Drive or faster
-Ethernet Port
-Compatibility with the DS3
-HDMI 1.4b
-Backwards compatibility of some sort (I would love them forever if it had compatibility with PSOne, PS2, PS3, PSN, PSP titles downloaded off of the PSN and PSV titles, but I doubt this would actually happen)
-A more conventional CPU/GPU
-More RAM than they think they need
-Optimized for Unreal Engine 4 and id Tech 5 out of the gate
-More focus on the PSN Store. Emulate those Steam sales and Humble Indie Bundles!
-Open up Internet Channels. Steal Roku's model!
-No region locks for physical PS4 games or on the PSN[/QUOTE]

That is an awesome list. If Sony can deliver all that then they will have a sell out.

[quote name='SynGamer']2x yes, which is the minimum in order to actually read blu-ray discs. In 2006 when the PS3 came out, that was fine since it was new tech, but the PS4 should honestly have at least an 8x drive to really utilize the higher read speed of blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that 2x drive did ok, but it did cause problems for developers. So long as the new drive is faster and works well, I'm good.

I think it really will depend on what kind of BD drive they use which will dictate the speed. If they go with a slim model, thjen they will probably be maxed out at 8x. With the full sized drives it could be a totally different story because at least on the consumer side there really isn't a big price difference between an 8x and a 12x (on Newegg they have an 8x and a 12x that are both for $50).

I know I'm dreaming, but it would be pretty awesome if they could somehow put a 14x in there because then it would be possible for us to have 100GB BDXL disks. :bouncy:

Let's pick these apart and see how logical they seem:

[quote name='KillerRamen']Stuff I want:

-Removable 7200 RPM 2.5" HDD (I would prefer a 3.5" drive, but that might make the system too large)[/QUOTE]SSD prices are still too high for this to be anything but true, so this is a given. Most likely 500GB out of the gate, hopefully a WD Scorpio Black.

-A matte finish and available in colors other than black or white
The matte finish is probably a given since we've had plenty of matte finish systems since the original model of the PS3. Multiple colors is likely not going to happen out of the gate, though maybe down the road.

-At least 2 Front AND 4 Rear USB 3.0 ports
Why the need for all of the USB ports? No reason why I can't see this happening with USB controllers being next to nothing in cost and one controller driving 10+ USB ports. I'd bet on 2 front + 2 rear being more possible, though it wouldn't be a surprise if we still just have 2 ports up front.

-Compatibility with external USB HDDs
Why's this a need? Audio/video files? With all the cloud/streaming out there that seems to be pushed by both Sony and MS, this might be a bit too much to hope for.

-12x Blu-Ray Drive or faster
Hopeful, though 6x seems more likely. If they are forward-thinking enough about physical media, whatever minimum speed drive that supports BDXL would be a good option.

-Ethernet Port
They might forgo this for 802.11b/g/n dual-band or 802.11ac draft, though with Ethernet PNYs being beyond cheap, I see no reason to skip that.

-Compatibility with the DS3
Probably not needed if the new controller works for BC-type work. Otherwise, it would be a nice option.
-HDMI 1.4b
This one should be a given.
-Backwards compatibility of some sort (I would love them forever if it had compatibility with PSOne, PS2, PS3, PSN, PSP titles downloaded off of the PSN and PSV titles, but I doubt this would actually happen)
Not likely to happen except via Gakai/streaming.
-A more conventional CPU/GPU
This one should be a given as well from all the grousing about the getting up to speed on programming the PS3. The design has also caused them some issues with ports on the PS3, so they're likely to go a more conventional route for the PS4.
-More RAM than they think they need
8GB seems to be the rumor and it's cheap enough in quantity, no reason to skimp on that. 4GB should be a minimum without question.
-Optimized for Unreal Engine 4 and id Tech 5 out of the gate
Pipe dream, not likely to happen.
-More focus on the PSN Store. Emulate those Steam sales and Humble Indie Bundles!
Might happen, especially if they're pushing digital more than physical due to lack of resale on digital.
-Open up Internet Channels. Steal Roku's model!
For the big stuff (Amazon Instant Watch, Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, etc.), maybe, otherwise, not.
-No region locks for physical PS4 games or on the PSN
Less emphasis on physical means this isn't likely to happen.

[quote name='shrike4242']8GB seems to be the rumor and it's cheap enough in quantity, no reason to skimp on that. 4GB should be a minimum without question. [/QUOTE]

Keep in mind current rumors are that the PS4 will have 4GB of GDDR5 memory vs slower DDR3. 8GB of GDDR5 would be quite amazing all things considered, not sure if Sony is willing to take the memory hit. I'm also not sure if the GPU would even utilize that much memory, assuming 2GB is saved for the OS?

Currently rumors have 4GB of GDDR5 with 512MB saved for the OS...that seems low. 1GB should be saved for the OS IMO, but even then, 3GB of GDDR5 should be more than enough for 1080p games.

[quote name='SynGamer']Keep in mind current rumors are that the PS4 will have 4GB of GDDR5 memory vs slower DDR3. 8GB of GDDR5 would be quite amazing all things considered, not sure if Sony is willing to take the memory hit. I'm also not sure if the GPU would even utilize that much memory, assuming 2GB is saved for the OS?

Currently rumors have 4GB of GDDR5 with 512MB saved for the OS...that seems low. 1GB should be saved for the OS IMO, but even then, 3GB of GDDR5 should be more than enough for 1080p games.[/QUOTE]I've heard the rumor as you stated, plus 8GB of DDR3, 4GB of DDR3, and split 4GB DDR3 for the system (2GB OS + 2GB additional shared GPU RAM) and 2GB GDDR5 for the GPU.

It probably would be a stretch to see 8GB of GDDR5 RAM mainly because there's barely any video cards with more than 3GB of GDDR5 that aren't SLI cards.

3GB of GDDR5 RAM is more than enough for 1080p games, yes. 2GB is probably enough if they're efficient in drivers, though 3GB is beyond plenty.

Even 1GB is enough for lesser detail with lower AA to do 1080p, though I hope they're not that skimpy on RAM.

[quote name='shrike4242']I've heard the rumor as you stated, plus 8GB of DDR3, 4GB of DDR3, and split 4GB DDR3 for the system (2GB OS + 2GB additional shared GPU RAM) and 2GB GDDR5 for the GPU.

It probably would be a stretch to see 8GB of GDDR5 RAM mainly because there's barely any video cards with more than 3GB of GDDR5 that aren't SLI cards.

3GB of GDDR5 RAM is more than enough for 1080p games, yes. 2GB is probably enough if they're efficient in drivers, though 3GB is beyond plenty.

Even 1GB is enough for lesser detail with lower AA to do 1080p, though I hope they're not that skimpy on RAM.[/QUOTE]

My concern is with a 6x blu-ray drive it's going to take close to 40 seconds to fill 1GB of RAM...so 3-4GB is more than enough in my mind. Really, I just hope the OS has 1GB to itself. The Vita struggles ever so slightly at times and I don't want to have that be an issue with the new PS4. The PS3 and its' XMB is beyond laggy at this point and I don't want any of that moving forward.

[quote name='SynGamer']My concern is with a 6x blu-ray drive it's going to take close to 40 seconds to fill 1GB of RAM...so 3-4GB is more than enough in my mind. Really, I just hope the OS has 1GB to itself. The Vita struggles ever so slightly at times and I don't want to have that be an issue with the new PS4. The PS3 and its' XMB is beyond laggy at this point and I don't want any of that moving forward.[/QUOTE]With RAM as cheap as it is these days, even GDDR5, there's no reason why they couldn't put enough RAM in the system to guarantee 1GB for the OS and have more than enough for 1080p with AA and all the detail bells-and-whistles.

They could certainly do an OS in 512MB of RAM if they're smart about it, though I don't have a lot of faith in that being the case.

I'd agree with your assessments on 4GB being enough, though future-proofing might make it worthwhile to go faster for BD-ROM and increased system RAM.

If it means keeping costs down, 4GB GDDR5 total (3Game+1OS) and a 12x blu-ray drive would be my preference over more RAM and a slower drive. 3GB for 1080p60fps games with all the "bells and whistles" should be more than enough. Most high-end cards today with 3GB of memory are pushing 2500+ resolution, so 3GB should be good for the future...

[quote name='SynGamer']If it means keeping costs down, 4GB GDDR5 total (3Game+1OS) and a 12x blu-ray drive would be my preference over more RAM and a slower drive. 3GB for 1080p60fps games with all the "bells and whistles" should be more than enough. Most high-end cards today with 3GB of memory are pushing 2500+ resolution, so 3GB should be good for the future...[/QUOTE]No disagreement from me there. Hopefully said faster BD-ROM drive would also be BDXL compliant.

2GB will do 1080p with all the "bells and whistles", so 4GB RAM (3GB game + 1GB OS) would work without real issue.

Let's pick these apart and see how logical they seem:

SSD prices are still too high for this to be anything but true, so this is a given. Most likely 500GB out of the gate, hopefully a WD Scorpio Black.

-Yeah, I hope so. I'm not totally confident that Sony will grace us with another non-proprietary HDD, but I hope it happens.

The matte finish is probably a given since we've had plenty of matte finish systems since the original model of the PS3. Multiple colors is likely not going to happen out of the gate, though maybe down the road.

-Sony is weird sometimes. Playstation Vita is a dust magnet, so hopefully they'll do the right thing and give it a matte finish. I know that colors are probably not going to happen at launch, but a guy can dream.

Why the need for all of the USB ports? No reason why I can't see this happening with USB controllers being next to nothing in cost and one controller driving 10+ USB ports. I'd bet on 2 front + 2 rear being more possible, though it wouldn't be a surprise if we still just have 2 ports up front.

-I like my USB ports. I picked 2/4 because that's what the Xbox 360 has right now if you include the dedicated Kinect port. I want one for my rear USB HDD, one for my Playstation Eye, one for my ethernet adapter (if needed) and an extra for something else that's sure to come down the line. I'd be perfectly fine with 2/2 or even 2/1 since I can always get a USB hub, but I would be super upset if they only do two upfront again and keep the Playstation Eye.

Why's this a need? Audio/video files? With all the cloud/streaming out there that seems to be pushed by both Sony and MS, this might be a bit too much to hope for.

-My internet isn't good enough for streaming games. I mainly want an external HDD for Playstation Plus and the Instant Game Collection stuff. External drives are also cheaper than internal drives and Nintendo was nice enough to let us use them up to 2TBs. If they start with 500GB, that might not be enough for me in a couple of years. I would rather just get a 2TB external and forget about it.

Hopeful, though 6x seems more likely. If they are forward-thinking enough about physical media, whatever minimum speed drive that supports BDXL would be a good option.

-I'm pretty sure 14x is the minimum for BDXL or at least it is to write one. Yeah, I know I'm being very optimistic in hoping for a full-sized 12x drive, but I do agree that a slim 6x is much more likely.

They might forgo this for 802.11b/g/n dual-band or 802.11ac draft, though with Ethernet PNYs being beyond cheap, I see no reason to skip that.

-The main reason why I'm worried about this is because Nintendo did it... Twice. I just hope they include an ethernet port because I very much prefer to be wired.

Probably not needed if the new controller works for BC-type work. Otherwise, it would be a nice option.

It would be really nice for multi-player games to be able to use my old DS3s. It would be really nice if they do it, but I sort of suspect that they want me to buy all-new DS4s.

This one should be a given.

-Totally. HDMI 2 isn't ready and I don't think there is anything that would support it, but there is no excuses for us not to get HDMI 1.4b. They would have to be insane not to.

Not likely to happen except via Gakai/streaming.

-A guy can dream about having the perfect Playstation... If my PSN games don't work I'll be a bit miffed, but I'd get over not being able to play old games on the PS4. As previously stated, I don't think my internet is good enough for streaming, so I would much more prefer the ability to use my physical disks.

This one should be a given as well from all the grousing about the getting up to speed on programming the PS3. The design has also caused them some issues with ports on the PS3, so they're likely to go a more conventional route for the PS4.
8GB seems to be the rumor and it's cheap enough in quantity, no reason to skimp on that. 4GB should be a minimum without question.

-I really hope so, but again Sony is weird sometimes. I think we're really just going to have to wait to see what they do. The logical thing to do would be to listen to their developers and give them what they want, but they still might just do something weird.

Pipe dream, not likely to happen.

Yeah, probably. It would be really helpful for Sony to have worked with Epic and ID Software so they can make it easier for everyone from the get-go, but so long as they use a more conventional language similar to OpenGL I think they'll be fine. Epic Games has been designing Unreal Engine 4 with the 8th Generation of consoles in mind, so I don't think it will be much of a problem regardless.

Might happen, especially if they're pushing digital more than physical due to lack of resale on digital.

I think it will definitely help to work on making the PSN more competitive. If the PSN is better, they will sell more stuff. I have so many stupid games that I bought from Steam for no reason other than it was super cheap.

For the big stuff (Amazon Instant Watch, Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, etc.), maybe, otherwise, not.

-I know, but it would be nice for them to try to make it somewhat more open so we can get more channels faster. I think it would be awesome to have one device for all of my internet watching needs.

Less emphasis on physical means this isn't likely to happen.

-I know. One of the coolest things about the PS3 was being able to import whatever. It would be nice to be able to download import games too, but I can see them not wanting to do this at all since there would be way too many logistical issues.

bread's done
Back