Playstation Credit Card

thrifty1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm trying to decide if I should apply for a Playstation credit card to get the free 5000 points after the first purchase with it.

1. What's the catch? If i'm already going to spend money on dlc off the PSN store, is there any reason I shouldn't get this card if I planned on paying off the balance immediately?
I don't understand why they're just giving away 5000 points which they say is equivalent to a $50 psn credit.

2. Looks like there is no annual fee. Can they ever switch it to have an annual fee?

3. What is to stop me from applying for the card, using it 1 time to get the bonus points and never using it again?? My only other credit card is Chase Freedom and I like the cash back I get with that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both the Playstation CC and the Sony CC.
They're ok cards, not good enough for every day use though.
I only use them about once a year to keep the accounts active.
The sign up bonus was much higher when I applied
($300 for the Sony cc, $200 for the PSX cc).
If you're going solely for signup bonuses, they're are much bigger fishes out there.
ie. I got $500 in Amazon GC for signing up for the SouthWest cc last year (I had to charge 2k to get the signup bonus though).

How much do I have to spend to get the 5000 points bonus?

Is this going to be a bad idea if I only plan on buying dlc with it off the PSN store? What if I don't plan on using it much the rest of this year after the first purchase to get the bonus?

For example, I can see myself buying DLC for Bioshock Infinite and God of War Ascension later this year. Perhaps a cheap PSN game for $5. If I only planned on spending this much with it would this still be a good idea to apply?

[quote name='thrifty1']How much do I have to spend to get the 5000 points bonus?
[/QUOTE]

$0.01 or higher

[quote name='thrifty1']
Is this going to be a bad idea if I only plan on buying dlc with it off the PSN store? What if I don't plan on using it much the rest of this year after the first purchase to get the bonus?

For example, I can see myself buying DLC for Bioshock Infinite and God of War Ascension later this year. Perhaps a cheap PSN game for $5. If I only planned on spending this much with it would this still be a good idea to apply?[/QUOTE]

It is not a bad idea, go for it if you want the signup bonus+plan on using it every now and then on PSN.
You credit score will take a slight hit temporarily due to the hard pull.
Unless you're buying a house within the next year, it shouldn't matter.

[quote name='wbc1228']$0.01 or higher

It is not a bad idea, go for it if you want the signup bonus+plan on using it every now and then on PSN.
You credit score will take a slight hit temporarily due to the hard pull.
Unless you're buying a house within the next year, it shouldn't matter.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help. Nope I don't plan on buying a house until I can outright buy something cheap without a mortgage. I have 0 debt and no bills and I like not paying anyone interest on anything. I only have 1 other chase freedom card that I pay off a few days after I buy anything. All the people I used to work with complained every day about their property taxes and wanting to move out of Illinois. And I don't think prices on housing are going to improve much for another 3 years at least.

Will my credit score be hurt if I don't use it a lot?

[quote name='thrifty1']Thanks for the help. Nope I don't plan on buying a house until I can outright buy something cheap without a mortgage. I have 0 debt and no bills and I like not paying anyone interest on anything. I only have 1 other chase freedom card that I pay off a few days after I buy anything. All the people I used to work with complained every day about their property taxes and wanting to move out of Illinois. And I don't think prices on housing are going to improve much for another 3 years at least.

Will my credit score be hurt if I don't use it a lot?[/QUOTE]

No, it is the other way around.
High credit utilization will lower your credit score.

Alright thanks for the responses. I'm gonna go for it and apply. Gonna use it to buy some dlc and get the sign up bonus. Might use it to buy a Vita off the Sony store if they put them on sale before another retailer does.

That was easy enough. Got approved after I filled out the form.

So is there anything else I need to do right now before I get the card to get those bonus points? After I make a purchase with it on the PSN store, is there anything I need to do to redeem the points?

You will need to go to http://www.sonyrewards.com and make an account. When your card arrives, you can link it there. That's where you redeem your points.

And don't use the Facebook login on Sony Rewards. I tried it initially, out of convenience, and many problems arose as a result.

bread's done
Back