Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
That is quite a large picture. The note at the bottom about EA FC being available an extra 2 weeks is interesting. I wonder if there is a reason behind it, like one of next month's games not starting at the beginning of the month.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on Stellar Blade so far? After putting in several hours, I'd give it a 7/10. The graphics are beautiful, the music is pleasant, the English voice acting is very wooden, the costumes are fun to collect, and the story is super-cliched. But, the most important part is the combat and I think it's overall fun. There's some jankiness to the controls that was present in the demo, and that little bit of input delay can lead to some cheap shots from the enemies. I'm not super-big on Soulslike games, but I feel like this game's combat is clicking with me much more than those games did. It just feels good to play more often than it doesn't. But, I have a major problem with the inability to remap the controller, since often when I try to block with L1, I accidentally hit the L2 button behind it and go into ranged mode, which completely screws me up.

Speaking of ranged mode, which is very good BTW and presents a fun third person shooter experience, light spoiler: there's a part where you go into an old lab and you can only use your gun, no melee, and it is so freaking creepy. I joked to my husband we all thought Stellar Blade was going to be a Nier Automata rip-off, but what we got was Dark Souls, but what we actually got was Dead Space. And, that's a compliment.

It's not a $70 game. That price is for AAA and this is a AA game. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it needs to be pointed out that the game is overpriced. Look at Helldivers: another AA game that's only $40 and worth every penny. Stellar Blade should have been $60 at most. I got it for about $53 after a Target coupon, so I'm pretty happy, and I think $50 is a sweet spot price for a flawed but fun and stylish AA experience.
This game made me realize that for me to enjoy a soulslike, it must carry a certain aesthetic of grimdark or at the very least: dark undertones. This just looked like another clone with a weeb magical girl wrapper. Unironically I never looked into the Nier games either, but hadn't considered it to be a soulslike. I guess there is a limit to if the combat is good, I'm there.

This game made me realize that for me to enjoy a soulslike, it must carry a certain aesthetic of grimdark or at the very least: dark undertones. This just looked like another clone with a weeb magical girl wrapper. Unironically I never looked into the Nier games either, but hadn't considered it to be a soulslike. I guess there is a limit to if the combat is good, I'm there.

Nier Automata is most definitely not a soulslike but it is the second best game of the entire last generation. Highly recommend checking it out. The first Nier is really good too and I believe it may even be on PS Plus but Automata is just completely bonkers!

It's crazy how fast some of the CAGs clear games! College, work, gf/bf, and still finish them so fast. I have a job, and that alone kills 3 or 4 days a week (12-13 hour shifts), my days off I play but I still have to see my girl, my daughter, mow the yard, all the normal people stuff lol If I'm lucky I can squeeze in maybe 20 hours of gaming and that's a really lazy week, usually I get about 10 hours in.
I imagine having less time to play makes those gaming hours more enjoyable though. I slogged through AC Valhalla and all the DLC recently which took around 110 hrs for me over about 1.5-2 months. I don't know why but I feel like I need to play all the AC games despite them becoming formulaic and bloated. I keep hoping for my investment to pay off with learning lore from the overarching modern day plot-line but nothing has come close to the intrigue of the Ezio/Desmond games.

Y'all are out here playing Stellar Blade while my slow ass is just starting Borderlands 3 from my backlog. How do you guys finish all of these long ass games so quickly?
I'm gonna let you in on a secret: my backlog is huge lol I haven't even started FFVII Rebirth and Princess Peach Showtime, despite getting them at launch. I just let the whims of my current gaming mood take control and this time, they happened to want to play a game I just bought.
See, I'm the opposite: I often don't like grimdark aesthetics and find I'm willing to give Soulslikes/lights more of a chance if their atmosphere is less like From Software games. I'm a massive weeb, so I dig the "Dark Souls but with anime girl" setup. Although, like I said in my post's spoiler (and this really isn't a spoiler), Stellar Blade gives massive Dead Space vibes. Its open zone sections may be pretty chill, but the dungeons are spooky as shit. Plus, a lot of the sidequests have some really disturbing resolutions. It's a little cliched, but cool nonetheless.

Speaking of Stellar Blade, I played several more hours yesterday and despite some little issues really bugging me, I'm sort of leaning closer to an 8/10? There's some bullshit, like having literally a 50/50 shot of actually grabbing onto a rope you jump toward, only being allowed to fast travel between camps (meaning if you're not in a camp, you have to walk to one to fast travel to another), and the previously-mentioned inability to remap the controller, but I'm having a lot of fun with it regardless. I thought I wouldn't care about the world, but I'm pretty interested to see what happens next in the story.

Costume collecting is my favorite activity, of course, but after finding one of the censored costumes, I'm really questioning how necessary the censorship was. You can play the game as close to naked as possible, and yet a bathing suit needed a random camisole and shorts underneath? It's so silly, especially for a mature rated game, and I just wish this shit would stop. It's not ruining my experience, but I hate it exists because it's dominating the discourse around the game.

I'm taking a break from other things and have been playing Dead Cells: Castlevania and Bloodstained (for the first time), and have been having a blast. Now I see that this Skul game free last month is near the top of the list for roguelite recommendations so I'm going to try that one too. I don't believe I'm going to be able to handle Cult of the Lamb I just purchased because of my motion sickness and all the head bobbing and screen shaking. What are the devs thinking??

The second boss in Bloodstained (Zangetsu) was complete bullshit. Took me over a dozen tries. Had many great attempts but he absolutely chunks your HP. I had to go back and waste a bunch of money on consumables.

Completed a run for the first time on Dead Cells last night. so fun

I was not invited to the Hades 2 test.

I imagine having less time to play makes those gaming hours more enjoyable though. I slogged through AC Valhalla and all the DLC recently which took around 110 hrs for me over about 1.5-2 months. I don't know why but I feel like I need to play all the AC games despite them becoming formulaic and bloated. I keep hoping for my investment to pay off with learning lore from the overarching modern day plot-line but nothing has come close to the intrigue of the Ezio/Desmond games.
I'm the exact same with the AC series! 😂 I did really like Odyssey but I think that platinum trophy broke me for a while, I got Valhalla day 1, was so excited but as soon as I started I realized I had no interest in playing another 100 hour game. I did eventually finish it but I had to take a break from those massive open worlds

I'm the exact same with the AC series! 😂 I did really like Odyssey but I think that platinum trophy broke me for a while, I got Valhalla day 1, was so excited but as soon as I started I realized I had no interest in playing another 100 hour game. I did eventually finish it but I had to take a break from those massive open worlds
Yeah. After I experienced the novel mission types/experiences and reached power level 200 or so I just turned the difficulty down one notch from normal to speed through the repetitive boring combat. The ability to freeze time by dodging made the combat much easier. I think Odyssey had a better modern-day game experience and carried the story forward a lot more than Valhalla.

Does anyone know if AC Mirage carries the modern day plot forward much?

In AC Odyssey, I legit thought the original island was the map, I couldn't believe the size. And the conspiracy mechanic was cool.

But the size broke me, I couldn't finish the DLC, and I haven't gone back to AC since. Also I hate the mechanic where you customize your character, just give us classic characters that fit the historical period.

Apparently, 6 more games are leaving PS+ extra/premium in May even though they don't show on the Last Chance to Play tab. The five games are:
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Darksiders Warmastered Edition
  • Darksiders 2
  • Wreckfest
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning
  • MX vs. ATV Legends
They look like they are leaving May 21st.

Costume collecting is my favorite activity, of course, but after finding one of the censored costumes, I'm really questioning how necessary the censorship was. You can play the game as close to naked as possible, and yet a bathing suit needed a random camisole and shorts underneath? It's so silly, especially for a mature rated game, and I just wish this shit would stop. It's not ruining my experience, but I hate it exists because it's dominating the discourse around the game.
It would have been GOTY with full nudity (see BG3).

If I may quickly add to my Stellar Blade impressions: the platforming is horrific, and really makes me waffle between a 7/10 and 8/10 for the game. Like I said before, when you jump toward a rope, there's a 50/50 shot you won't grab it and fall to your death. Approaching poles, ladders, and running walls from just the wrong angle, I'm talking an inch off the middle, results in a fall to your death. Hell, sometimes I jump spot on and I miss. And of course, falling to your death respawns every enemy in the area. I'm fine with dying in combat and resting at camps respawning all enemies, but just a platforming mishap? It's so unintentionally difficult sometimes and it if worked more often than it did, I wouldn't be complaining about having to kill all the enemies again to get back to the beginning of the sequence.

Ok, I'll let it rest now. Anyone on the fence about the game, I think $50-60 is a fair price for it if you like Soulslikes, Nier/Fallout/Dead Space-style worlds, and cute anime girls killing shit.

Microsoft once again dropping the ball
The tab on closed studios is being picked up by all big publishers, not just MS. What's clear is AAA is failing and will sink ships, while indie is having a renaissance. These moves are being made now to reign big spending in and focus on sustainability.

The issue here hasn't been the closures: it's how comfortable the industry got with the boom.

Saying "AAA is failing and the indie scene is having a renaissance" is like saying "consoles are dying and PC is thriving". These phrases contiunue happening back and forth throughout the years.

I just realized it’s been over 20 years since Dino Crisis 3, man I wish they’d revisit that franchise. A new entry, a remaster/remake, or even a compilation collection. Anything would be great.

Pretty tempted to grab a Portal off of Amazon with some credit I have. Any recommendations for cases? I like the idea of this one https://a.co/d/8QLKIBi but the same case comes in a lot of different “brands” that randomly pop up. Anyone have a similar one? Any other suggestions? Probably be used at home more than anything.

Pretty tempted to grab a Portal off of Amazon with some credit I have. Any recommendations for cases? I like the idea of this one https://a.co/d/8QLKIBi but the same case comes in a lot of different “brands” that randomly pop up. Anyone have a similar one? Any other suggestions? Probably be used at home more than anything.
I use the skull and co case and I like it, but it's not like a grip like the one you posted

bread's done
Back