Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
load times wise fire emblem 5 houses had the worst since last remnant for me.  Which is pretty appalling given that the games fire emblem. There shouldn't be anything to justify those loading times.  Likewise langrisser gets semi annoying with its loading times too. Mainly when starting up the game though. Yugioh's and Ys 8 could be a little long in the tooth at times as well. 

ps4 wise the worst I've encountered so far is tales of arise-ia's loading times which are about 13 seconds. 

ps4 made me not want to play games due to load times
like a quarter of my time in ib/mhw was load times
every witcher 3 death was like 2 min

in a world of working 40 hours shit drove me mad
Same exact thing for me. Gaming was supposed to be a fun way to relax and it became something that I really had to plan for. If I wanted to play a game I had to make sure I installed it the night before and downloaded all the patches, etc. The ability to suspend play was a huge thing that the last gen added, one of the best things about the DS/3DS.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

The Averngers on PS4 was the first one that really got to me after all these years. Those damn animations of the characters went on forever while it loaded, and now that it’s optimized for PS5 it’s instant!

Ghosts of Tsushima ran OK enough on the OG PS4 but sometimes lagged badly (mainly near the end of the game). I'm sure on the PS4 Pro it would have been fine, but yeah PS5 runs these things greatly even if running off an external HD. I use a 4TB external elements one myself.

I have been complaining about load times ever since the N64/PS1 area. Boggled my mind how gamers would choose a PS1 game over an N64 one when the game loaded instantly on a 64 and took a minute or more on a PS1. I counted on sites like IGN Head to Head and Digital foundry to see which version of the game loaded the fastest in the PS2/GCN/Xbox gen(GCN games usually were the fastest) up until now. For years and years a lot of people told me that load times weren't a big deal and they didn't bother them. When I would point out certain devs like Nintendo and Sony made games with little to no load times and showed that if the devs cared enough, they could make load times way better, a lot of people told me it's not a high priority and there are reasons that games have long load times. So many would say go get something to drink or make a sandwich or use the bathroom when games loaded. Now all of a sudden, gamers care about load times? What a bunch of hooey. Just goes to show you that people will stick up for anything and then complain about it when it's deemed okay to do so.
- There are many factors when it comes to choosing games, of which load times is just one. If one system or version of a game has other advantages then it comes down to what's important to them (if they even have more than one option)
- Shorter load times is not a bad thing in any way, so of course people will enjoy it when they have it
- It's most likely not the very same people who said load times don't matter now praising them

I have both the PS5 and the Series X. I am always amazed at how the Series X is able to quick resume exactly where I left off. It is akin to if you hibernate your PC and then turn it back on to resume exactly how you left it. I haven't experimented as much with the feature on PS5 yet but maybe others can speak to how well it works there. I have spent the past year catching up on the XBOX exclusives I missed over the years now that they are all on GAMEPASS. I am hoping that the PS4 games get even further optimized for the PS5 with time instead of just loading faster off of an SSD.

I have been complaining about load times ever since the N64/PS1 area. Boggled my mind how gamers would choose a PS1 game over an N64 one when the game loaded instantly on a 64 and took a minute or more on a PS1. I counted on sites like IGN Head to Head and Digital foundry to see which version of the game loaded the fastest in the PS2/GCN/Xbox gen(GCN games usually were the fastest) up until now. For years and years a lot of people told me that load times weren't a big deal and they didn't bother them. When I would point out certain devs like Nintendo and Sony made games with little to no load times and showed that if the devs cared enough, they could make load times way better, a lot of people told me it's not a high priority and there are reasons that games have long load times. So many would say go get something to drink or make a sandwich or use the bathroom when games loaded. Now all of a sudden, gamers care about load times? What a bunch of hooey. Just goes to show you that people will stick up for anything and then complain about it when it's deemed okay to do so.
You forgot the many things that someone will choose a PSone over N64 games. First most of us during that time only got a chance to own one or the other console. Games, price, and controller were also a big factor. There were a lot of games that you can only play on the PSone compare to the N64. The N64 controller was pretty awkward. A lot of PSone games were retailing at $40- $50 while the N64 were about $60-$80. Long load time has always suck but during that time it was mostly due to hardware limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:
N64 didn't get RPGs and Sony was able to get FF7, which ended up being on of the best selling and biggest RPGS of all time. This easily helped win the battle. I got my PS One late and own the slim one. N64 was great for multiplayer and platformers, but not RPGs, which were my favorite. When Earthbound 64 was cancelled my heart broke for sure. Still a very decent system overall. People who didn't grow up with gawk at games like Goldeneye 64, but it really revolutionized the FPS genre on consoles and was one of the best 4 player vs games available. Also having 4 ports helped as well. Both systems were great, but the RPGs pushed PSX over for me. Frankly the only platformer I loved on the PSX was the Spyro games. I didn't like Crash at the time.

I have both the PS5 and the Series X. I am always amazed at how the Series X is able to quick resume exactly where I left off. It is akin to if you hibernate your PC and then turn it back on to resume exactly how you left it. I haven't experimented as much with the feature on PS5 yet but maybe others can speak to how well it works there. I have spent the past year catching up on the XBOX exclusives I missed over the years now that they are all on GAMEPASS. I am hoping that the PS4 games get even further optimized for the PS5 with time instead of just loading faster off of an SSD.
The PS4 and the PS5 both have the exact same feature. I used it the entire time I had my PS4 and then now with my PS5.

You forgot the many things that someone will choose a PSone over N64 games. First most of us during that time only got a chance to own one or the other console. Games, price, and controller were also a big factor. There were a lot of games that you can only play on the PSone compare to the N64. The N64 controller was pretty awkward. A lot of PSone games were retailing at $40- $50 while the N64 were about $60-$80. Long load time has always suck but during that time it was mostly due to hardware limitations.
I am not referring to being able to play certain games on a PS1 that you couldn't on an N64. I am also including ALL systems since the N64. I am simply pointing out that soo many people dismissed load times and many gaming reviews didn't even mention them. I remember talking to a dev at an E3 and he told me it's just not a high priority. I have met some of the MLB The Show guys at CES and I brought up load times and they told me it's one of the last things on their list they focus on. They said they could make them shorter but prioritize many things ahead of them. Sure enough, the next year he says check this out and shows me that the game loaded up much faster than the previous year. You're welcome The Show fans. This was in the PS3 days but it carried over into PS4 and now PS5. It just proves that devs can make them shorter but most gamers just accept long load times and again, even stick up for them.

My whole point is that now all of a sudden load times are being discussed as something that needs to be fixed when no one really cared about them and accepted them in the past. Now it's okay to bring up load times and talk down on them. It's pathetic. Devs could have made them shorter this entire time. Of course, that does depend on how smart they are. Certain devs know the hardware and are better at them than others. Overall though, load times were low on the list of devs priorities and most gamers didn't care. Now all of a sudden they do because it's been deemed that they are allowed to. Again, pathetic.

There's now SSD in gaming console that is eliminating a big bottle neck in loading time and assets. That is why people are noticing and paying attention a little more to load times because it is a big drastic improvement and difference. There is only so much you can do before you are still limited to the hardware of a device.

N64 didn't get RPGs and Sony was able to get FF7, which ended up being on of the best selling and biggest RPGS of all time. This easily helped win the battle. I got my PS One late and own the slim one. N64 was great for multiplayer and platformers, but not RPGs, which were my favorite. When Earthbound 64 was cancelled my heart broke for sure. Still a very decent system overall. People who didn't grow up with gawk at games like Goldeneye 64, but it really revolutionized the FPS genre on consoles and was one of the best 4 player vs games available. Also having 4 ports helped as well. Both systems were great, but the RPGs pushed PSX over for me. Frankly the only platformer I loved on the PSX was the Spyro games. I didn't like Crash at the time.
It did in fact get RPGs just not many of them. Paper Mario 64 being the most noteworthy. Ogre battle iirc was another one.

I am not referring to being able to play certain games on a PS1 that you couldn't on an N64. I am also including ALL systems since the N64. I am simply pointing out that soo many people dismissed load times and many gaming reviews didn't even mention them. I remember talking to a dev at an E3 and he told me it's just not a high priority. I have met some of the MLB The Show guys at CES and I brought up load times and they told me it's one of the last things on their list they focus on. They said they could make them shorter but prioritize many things ahead of them. Sure enough, the next year he says check this out and shows me that the game loaded up much faster than the previous year. You're welcome The Show fans. This was in the PS3 days but it carried over into PS4 and now PS5. It just proves that devs can make them shorter but most gamers just accept long load times and again, even stick up for them.

My whole point is that now all of a sudden load times are being discussed as something that needs to be fixed when no one really cared about them and accepted them in the past. Now it's okay to bring up load times and talk down on them. It's pathetic. Devs could have made them shorter this entire time. Of course, that does depend on how smart they are. Certain devs know the hardware and are better at them than others. Overall though, load times were low on the list of devs priorities and most gamers didn't care. Now all of a sudden they do because it's been deemed that they are allowed to. Again, pathetic.
This whole post is delusional nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BguTlVlVwQ

I don't recall people mentioning how long the load times were for any of those games and making a big deal about them or the load times hurting sales or reviews. Hell, GTA 5 is the biggest entertainment thing ever making a gazillion dollars and it takes 2 minutes to load up the game on a PS4 Pro. Obviously, gamers didn't care that it took so long to load. Has anyone here actually made games or talked with game developers? Calling my posts delusional screams ignorance on your part. Long load times have just been widely accepted for 20 years now. Sure, you may personally have not liked them or avoided games with long load times but the majority of people are not affected by long load times. Again, the make a sandwich or get a drink or use the bathroom is their rebuttal.

I found this thread with a quick google search

https://www.ignboards.com/threads/what-are-your-biggest-gaming-pet-peeves.455140891/#post-517160955

I believe load times are mentioned once or twice out of all the posts. Again, I am not stating that gamers are not annoyed by load times it's just not that big of a deal to most of them. Now though, all of a sudden more and more people are complaining about them and Sony and MS are pushing short loads as a selling point when it clearly wasn't that big of a deal to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwxDHom9Sb0&t=4s

Notice how none of them guessed quicker load times. Better graphics were most important. Shorter load times did get mentioned but it wasn't the most important.

People have bitched about load times since CD-ROM made its way into consoles. However, we also accepted them as nonnegotiable with all the benefits that came with CD storage. We also knew - as PSX owners primarily - that they weren't going away since it was a fixed aspect of the platform.

Just because it was a known factor doesn't mean it wasn't noticed or disliked.. and as soon as the latest game hit with particularly egregious load breaks, you can bet the bitching started up all over again.

It did in fact get RPGs just not many of them. Paper Mario 64 being the most noteworthy. Ogre battle iirc was another one.
Don't forget bonafide classics like Quest 64 & Aidyn Chronicles! Seriously you're looking at like 4 rpgs on the N64, tops. 5 if you count Hybrid Heaven. Only 2 of which were actually not garbage. Meanwhile over on the PS1 there was a new golden era of jrpgs. I loved my N64 but a second console was essential to own if you wanted to play jrpgs back then.

I thought this was the PlayStation thread. Anyway, here are the new PS Now games rumored for October. As always, take this with a grain of salt until they're officially announced on Monday.

-Last of Us Part II
-Fallout 76
-Desperados III
-Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
-Yet Another Zombie Game

The crux of your argument seems to be that you didn't see *enough* people complaining about something that wasn't going anywhere as long as we were dealing with CD-based media and hardware limitations. You've heard people say load times aren't a big deal. That's called acceptance. People are still going to be happy when technology evolves enough for them to disappear, and unhappy when the difference is so night and day between gens. And why on Earth wouldn't companies use a major tech difference as a selling point? It makes zero sense not to tout such info.

Not vocally complaining about an issue doesn't mean nobody cares about it. It just means they go tired of saying the same thing after twenty years. Besides which there is still talk and even memes of load times on games like GTA. Finally, as I said before, if you're going to call people pathetic or hypocritical, make sure you're talking to the very same people who "defended" load times in the past and now hate them.

Very much so. Load times alone make it worthwhile. I have both the 5 and Series X. My PS4 pro and One X were both starting to sound like jet engines too often, so I cleaned them out and sold them on FB marketplace. No regrets.

I was able to finish God of War without having to turn up the volume due to the fan noise the pro was giving me. Just do it!
Thanks to you and others for the responses.

I'm tempted to trade in my PS4 Pro 1 TB right now at GS (for $325) to put towards a PS5. The problem is I don't know when they will have a PS5 in stock that I can pick up. It might be 6 months or more before I'm able to grab a system from them given how fast it sells out when they get shipments.

Too bad you guys weren't around for tape drives. 15+ minute load times to start a game, and that's if it even worked.

You had to REALLY want to play that game, lol.

When I first played a PS5 game, I was amazed at how fast it seemed to load.

Now, 9 months later, the wait time feels excessive again.

I guess I just accepted that this shorter wait is the new normal.

By the time the PS9 comes around, I'll end up being annoyed by a 1 second delay.

Thanks to you and others for the responses.

I'm tempted to trade in my PS4 Pro 1 TB right now at GS (for $325) to put towards a PS5. The problem is I don't know when they will have a PS5 in stock that I can pick up. It might be 6 months or more before I'm able to grab a system from them given how fast it sells out when they get shipments.
Does GameStop have a promo for trading in consoles towards a PS5? All I see is $275 for a PS4 Pro console. Their website looks so different from when I was paying attention to it (pre-pandemic).

Does GameStop have a promo for trading in consoles towards a PS5? All I see is $275 for a PS4 Pro console. Their website looks so different from when I was paying attention to it (pre-pandemic).
There is a $50 bonus for all PS4 and Xbox one consoles going right now. Doesn't need to be traded towards anything specifically.

So I would get $325 but at the same time, there's no telling when GS will even have PS5 consoles on hand for me to apply the trade credit. It could be summer 2022 before you can just walk into a GS and grab a PS5, especially since I want the disk version.

There is a $50 bonus for all PS4 and Xbox one consoles going right now. Doesn't need to be traded towards anything specifically.

So I would get $325 but at the same time, there's no telling when GS will even have PS5 consoles on hand for me to apply the trade credit. It could be summer 2022 before you can just walk into a GS and grab a PS5, especially since I want the disk version.
Some threads on other sites are stating it ends/ended today.

The email states

"OFFERS VALID 9/26/2021 – 10/3/2021"

So might still be valid tomorrow, we shall see. Values could always drop at any time though.
Not sure. I haven't been following it. They stated game promos are good until 10/9 and the console one ended today. You do have to be a pro member I believe so factor the cost of that into it if people here are not a pro member. I think membership is $14.99.

Too bad you guys weren't around for tape drives. 15+ minute load times to start a game, and that's if it even worked.

You had to REALLY want to play that game, lol.
I'm not sure how long you think it takes to download an 80+ GB game for most people ...

Looks like Playstation Plus in Asia gets a 4th game, Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationAsia/status/1443419557729738757
I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this. Guess everyone was really happy with that golf game :lol:

Talking about it won't change anything. The last 3-4 months have been horrible for PS+ games.
Terrible PS+ games is not news so no need to talk. If PS+ had a decent game then we would talk plenty about it. I will be happy with two decent PS+ a year, I think Sony can manage that.

Kind of an odd question but should I delete the profile I used on my PS4 before unloading it?
When I traded in my ps4 for the ps4 pro years ago, I was told to keep it as is so they could plug it in and test it with a game disc that I had already installed on the hard drive. After they saw the disc drive worked, they did a factory reset with me watching.

They may not be games you prefer but I think PS Plus games this year has been pretty good so far. There are some months that are duds but I thought Final Fantasy VII Remake, Control Ultimate Edition, A Plague Tale, Virtual Fighter V, and Star Wars Squadron were good games on plus.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/10/04/playstation-now-games-october-2021-the-last-of-us-part-ii-fallout-76-desperados-iii/

PS Now games for October:

Amnesia: Collection - Permanent
Desperados III - Permanent
Fallout 76 - Permanent
Final Fantasy VIII Remastered - Permanent
The Last of Us Part II - Ends 1/3/22
Victor Vran: Overkill Edition - Permanent
Yet Another Zombie Defense HD - Permanent
Great month. Been looking for a cheap way to play Desperados 3. If I can find a trial or cheap 1 month, this may be the way.

Victor Vran is a very enjoyable local co-op rpg, for those people still rightfully pissed about the Diablo 2 remake not having local multiplayer.

I'm not sure how long you think it takes to download an 80+ GB game for most people ...
Not like slow internet regardless of what the person is downloading is anything new.

Now excuse me I have to have flashbacks of dialup noises and phonecalls being answered disconnecting from the internet.

Meanwhile I think most of us regardless of internet connection suffered for certain systems like the ps3 which had horrible download speeds for everyone.

Starting on October 27, the PS3 and Vita PSN stores will not accept credit/debit card or PayPal payments. You'll only be able to use wallet funds after that. If you have a Japanese account - probably no one here - that means you won't be able to buy age-restricted games since you need one of those for age verification.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/important-notice/
I guess this is their compromise on keeping the stores open but still massively cutting the costs associated with it (no transaction fees, far less upkeep required). Lame but if this buys the stores an extra few years of life (doubtful, but still), so be it.

bread's done
Back