Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
Just got an order in. pc use for me since I'm still holding off on ps5.

For reference, ~$80 is about as cheap as low-tier 1tb pci-e 3.0 drives get.   This sn850 is at least $50 cheaper than it should be on the gs site.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, there’s very little worth noting from Atari Corporation (the console/home computer company, the arcade company became Atari Games and their assets are all (mostly?) owned by WB now) after the early 80s. The Tramiels (who ran the company from 1984 to 1996) rather famously had no interest in video games, and mismanaged the console side of the business pretty badly.
I think you have it right. It's funny. WB owned Atari Games in the 80s and 90s, but sold it to WMS Industries in 1996 who also owned Midway, Williams, and Bally. WMS spun off their arcade division into Midway Games a couple of years later. Then in the 2000s, WB bought it back (along with all of Midway).

Cool, I'd be interested in an Atari collection that doesn't have just the usual 70s/early80s stuff.
Me too. I've never played a Jaguar so I want to see some of those games even if they're mostly crap.

They are pretty much crap. The original Rayman was good, along with AVP. I also enjoyed Power Drive Rally. All of the cd games that I have are horrible.
But, yeah, I’d probably grab it for the right price just to not use that awful controller.

I think you have it right. It's funny. WB owned Atari Games in the 80s and 90s, but sold it to WMS Industries in 1996 who also owned Midway, Williams, and Bally. WMS spun off their arcade division into Midway Games a couple of years later. Then in the 2000s, WB bought it back (along with all of Midway).
That’s not exactly how it worked, though Atari certainly has a long history with Warner.

Atari’s founder, Nolan Bushnell, sold Atari to Warner Communications (the parent company of Warner Bros, along with many other companies) in 1976 in order to get the money he needed to bring the VCS/2600 to market. (They then fired him two years later.) After the video game crash, Warner sold off the home computer/console side of the business to Jack Tramiel in 1984, and in 1985 sold controlling interest in the arcade division to Namco—yeah, that Namco.

Namco ultimately decided they weren’t very interested in managing Atari’s arcade division, and sold just enough of the shares to the company’s employees for neither Warner nor Namco to have a controlling interest, which made the company effectively independent starting in 1987. Like Namco itself, Atari Games, under their Tengen license, would go on to have a lot of beef with Nintendo over the latter’s controlling policies on NES licensing.

Meanwhile, Warner Communications, still suffering some financial difficulties, ended up merging with Time (becoming everybody’s favorite oversized media giant of the 90s, Time Warner), and ended up reacquiring controlling stake in Atari Games in 1993, putting it under the control of their own fledgling video games studio, Time Warner Interactive. Time Warner continued to not have a lot of interest in managing video games, though, as a mere three years later Time Warner Interactive (including Atari Games) was sold off to WMS.

You’ve reported the rest of the story quite accurately, so no need to go into any further details. I just mourn the potential for a Primal Rage franchise, cut down in its prime by Atari’s acquisition by WMS, who shelved the sequel when they decided they didn’t need any more digitized fatality-based fighters since they already had Mortal Kombat.

They are pretty much crap. The original Rayman was good, along with AVP. I also enjoyed Power Drive Rally. All of the cd games that I have are horrible.
But, yeah, I’d probably grab it for the right price just to not use that awful controller.
Rayman is of course owned by Ubisoft, and Power Drive Rally was published by Time Warner Interactive, so presumably WB holds those rights today. AVP may be owned by Atari Interactive (the current holder of the Atari brand, and the company that keeps putting out these Atari retro things), but I imagine the Predator and Alien IPs belong to everyone’s favorite modern media overlords, Disney, now that they’ve acquired Fox, so I doubt that’ll ever get ported anywhere.

EDIT:
I seriously depressed myself fact-checking all the “who-owns-who” stuff for this post. Ugh.

Im still confuse about ps plus.

I have ps plus essential until 2024. If i put a 3 month ps now voucher code what i will have? Ps premium? And until 2024?

I have ps plus essential until 2024. If i put a 3 month ps now voucher code what i will have? Ps premium? And until 2024?
If you had done so before the rollout of Essential/Extra/Premium, you would have had Premium until your Plus expires. Now that the rollout has taken place, I don't believe you can add Now to your subscriptions to get insta-Premium any longer.

You waited too long. If you want to upgrade now, you have to upgrade your entire subscription length to the new tier. I believe they cut you a small break on the upgrade fee though.

My order from days ago when this first went live is still "awaiting product availability". Surprised they would open orders again. Best Buy online chat was able to price match somehow, so I have at least one coming ^^;

Remember to order a heatsink for use in PS5. The three I was considering:

-Sabrent $17: https://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Heatsink-PS5-Console-SB-PSHS/dp/B09HSQQWCL/

-ElecGear $28: https://www.amazon.com/ElecGear-Heatsink-EL-P5C-Playstation-Re-Designed/dp/B096K4WKV9/

-generic $10: https://www.amazon.com/MHQJRH-heatsink-Double-Sided-Thermal-Silicone/dp/B07KDDKDNN

Sabrent and ElecGear are specifically designed for PS5. ElecGear is the most expensive and has been proven to cool the ssd the most, but it also potentially causes the system as a whole to get warmer than the Sabrent. I rather have the system on average cooler than just the ssd, so I went with Sabrent.

My order from days ago when this first went live is still "awaiting product availability". Surprised they would open orders again. Best Buy online chat was able to price match somehow, so I have at least one coming ^^;

Remember to order a heatsink for use in PS5. The three I was considering:
-Sabrent $17: https://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Heatsink-PS5-Console-SB-PSHS/dp/B09HSQQWCL/
-ElecGear $28: https://www.amazon.com/ElecGear-Heatsink-EL-P5C-Playstation-Re-Designed/dp/B096K4WKV9/
-generic $10: https://www.amazon.com/MHQJRH-heatsink-Double-Sided-Thermal-Silicone/dp/B07KDDKDNN

Sabrent and ElecGear are specifically designed for PS5. ElecGear is the most expensive and has been proven to cool the ssd the most, but it also potentially causes the system as a whole to get warmer than the Sabrent. I rather have the system on average cooler than just the ssd, so I went with Sabrent.
I have been using the generic for a while in my ps5, there is zero reason to buy the others

I have been using the generic for a while in my ps5, there is zero reason to buy the others
From what I’ve read, generic version works fine. The other heatsinks I listed should keep things a bit cooler thanks to being designed for PS5’s negative pressure cooling.

I got the XPG, but I heard the heatsink that comes with it wasn't that good. Should I get one of these to put on it too? Would it even fit?

I now own a PS5! Took forever for me to get one of these. I have been downloading some of my PS4 library and a few free PS5 upgrades. I got the Horizon West bundle since I was interested in that game already. 

Now waiting for some good PS5 digital sales.

How much did it cost you to upgrade?
$100 for Extra through June 2025, so almost 3 years.

I rented Returnal from GameFly when it came out but haven’t finished it. I also planned to get Stray when it releases, so between that and Returnal, it made more sense to upgrade to Extra.

Now that I have Extra, I have a question about Ghost of Tsushima. I bought the base game digitally when it launched and 100% it, but I never bought the expansion or PS5 upgrade. Is there a way I can get those now with Extra, or will the included Director’s Cut recognize my save?

Now that I have Extra, I have a question about Ghost of Tsushima. I bought the base game digitally when it launched and 100% it, but I never bought the expansion or PS5 upgrade. Is there a way I can get those now with Extra, or will the included Director’s Cut recognize my save?
Director's cut will recognize your PS4 save

Yeah, the toxic "Gamers" have gone insane on social media.  They're attacking the God of War team and going after Ron Gilbert so hard on his forum that he's not posting anything else about the new Monkey Island game.

Streaming some of Cuphead's new The Delicious Last Course DLC.

Edit: Here's the archive. This DLC is probably much tougher without playing through the majority of the game's content, so I'll have to focus more on playing through the second isle and later to unlock more stuff to use in The DLC. It's still some great new content, but they've ramped up the challenge and there's a lot going on in the first two bosses you meet.

Quick heads up to anyone who didn’t upgrade their PS+ memberships and are eligible for a free PS5 digital upgrade of a game. If the game in question is included in a higher tier of PS+ service, there’s no way to redeem/purchase the game on the console’s PS Store. The Redeem/Download button is instead replaced with an Upgrade button that redirects you to a PS+ upgrade page. I believe this was mentioned a few pages back by another CAG, and I just encountered it today trying to redeem the recently released PS5 version of Deliver Us The Moon.

However, there is a workaround, which I don’t think was mentioned a few pages back and the reason for this post/PSA. If you access the store through the PlayStation app, you can redeem your free PS5 upgrade there without issue. I just did that and after logging back onto my account and checking, the PS5 version is now in my collection.

Thought it might be worth a mention for those dealing with the same issue now or in the future—or at least until Sony posts a console PS Store update/workaround.

Quick heads up to anyone who didn’t upgrade their PS+ memberships and are eligible for a free PS5 digital upgrade of a game. If the game in question is included in a higher tier of PS+ service, there’s no way to redeem/purchase the game on the console’s PS Store. The Redeem/Download button is instead replaced with an Upgrade button that redirects you to a PS+ upgrade page. I believe this was mentioned a few pages back by another CAG, and I just encountered it today trying to redeem the recently released PS5 version of Deliver Us The Moon.

However, there is a workaround, which I don’t think was mentioned a few pages back and the reason for this post/PSA. If you access the store through the PlayStation app, you can redeem your free PS5 upgrade there without issue. I just did that and after logging back onto my account and checking, the PS5 version is now in my collection.

Thought it might be worth a mention for those dealing with the same issue now or in the future—or at least until Sony posts a console PS Store update/workaround.
I assume this was a digital purchase? The problem I had with Cris Tales was that it was a free PS4 to PS5 upgrade on the physical disc being replaced by the Plus Download only. Unfortunately, the work-around through the app doesn't apply to disc upgrades. :(

I assume this was a digital purchase? The problem I had with Cris Tales was that it was a free PS4 to PS5 upgrade on the physical disc being replaced by the Plus Download only. Unfortunately, the work-around through the app doesn't apply to disc upgrades. :(
You’re right, in the above case it was a digital purchase. That totally sucks on the physical disc to free digital upgrade. I’ve specifically purchased physical versions of PS4 games because a free PS5 digital upgrade was complimentary. I guess I had better look more closely at those games myself and see if I’m in the same boat. To be sure, Sony has to get their sh!t together at some point, huh?

Thanks for the heads up and clarification on that, and let’s hope they sort it out sooner than later.

The Firewatch theme bundle is $6.59 on PSN. First time either it or the standalone game has been on sale since 2018.

You’re right, in the above case it was a digital purchase. That totally sucks on the physical disc to free digital upgrade. I’ve specifically purchased physical versions of PS4 games because a free PS5 digital upgrade was complimentary. I guess I had better look more closely at those games myself and see if I’m in the same boat. To be sure, Sony has to get their sh!t together at some point, huh?

Thanks for the heads up and clarification on that, and let’s hope they sort it out sooner than later.
Sounds like I better go through my ps4 games and claim any free upgrades that aren't yet impacted.

The Firewatch theme bundle is $6.59 on PSN. First time either it or the standalone game has been on sale since 2018.
ice-cube-wait-what.gif

PS5 :(

I now own a PS5! Took forever for me to get one of these. I have been downloading some of my PS4 library and a few free PS5 upgrades. I got the Horizon West bundle since I was interested in that game already.

Now waiting for some good PS5 digital sales.
Well I am really enjoying the PS5 so far. The UI is much improved over the PS4. Games play much better than on the PS4 Pro model I have. I love the new controller. Very cool tech.

Now I just need to get some of the PS5 games I want to try on the cheap. Paying 550 for a new console hurts my gaming budget a bit lol. Looking forward to Returnal and the new Spider man game at some point.

Well I am really enjoying the PS5 so far. The UI is much improved over the PS4. Games play much better than on the PS4 Pro model I have. I love the new controller. Very cool tech.

Now I just need to get some of the PS5 games I want to try on the cheap. Paying 550 for a new console hurts my gaming budget a bit lol. Looking forward to Returnal and the new Spider man game at some point.
Have you played Astrobot yet? I couldn't put it down and platinum'd it and 100% it all over again when my PS5 crashed and erased everything.

I was determined to play Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl this weekend.

Not only is the game play pretty basic, but I'm playing as Garfield the cat who was unlocked as soon as the game started, and the new voice actor made me think about how nobody should do the voice of Garfield except Lorenzo Music.  :shock:

Not only is the game play pretty basic, but I'm playing as Garfield the cat who was unlocked as soon as the game started, and the new voice actor made me think about how nobody should do the voice of Garfield except Lorenzo Music. :shock:
I was pretty unimpressed by this game as well.

Not only is the game play pretty basic, but I'm playing as Garfield the cat who was unlocked as soon as the game started, and the new voice actor made me think about how nobody should do the voice of Garfield except Lorenzo Music. :shock:
He's been dead for 20 ish years so that would have made getting him difficult.

Did the prorated PS premium upgrade from today until November 11th for $24. The first game I went to try was Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time and the streaming did not go well as the audio was skipping and visuals were sub HD as well as slowdown. Booted up my PS3 digital copy of Crack in Time and it was no contest between the two. Sony needs to get the PS3 games working off the PS5 internal or externals drive ASAP. Meanwhile PS1, PS2 and PSP content is very lacking. A good selection for PS4 and PS5 though but I have most of the exclusives. 

Unless big changes are coming in the next few months with PS3 titles slowly rolling out to be able to download the game along with lots more PS1, PS2 and PSP games I am likely just going back to essentials.

bread's done
Back