Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
I wonder when they'll make the slim version.  I assume it's probably delayed a while due to the supply chain issues/shortages. But I always get the slim one since it's usually the better variant.  

As for the phone thing frisky posted that's interesting and certainly surprising. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder when they'll make the slim version. I assume it's probably delayed a while due to the supply chain issues/shortages. But I always get the slim one since it's usually the better variant.
I'm the same way. That's usually around the time that support for the previous system falls off a cliff. I'm still enjoying my PS4 right now.

I still hate the YLOD to this day
Oh totally. I still mourn the death of mine back in early 2019 due to YLOD. Thankfully, I did buy a backup superslim way back in the day incase I ever need it, and can still play PS3 games that way, and modern PS1 & PS2 emulators play those games better than the consoles did now, but I would love the still have my launch PS3 working if it could. Or better yet, the PS5 to play my PS1-3 discs.

Oh totally. I still mourn the death of mine back in early 2019 due to YLOD. Thankfully, I did buy a backup superslim way back in the day incase I ever need it, and can still play PS3 games that way, and modern PS1 & PS2 emulators play those games better than the consoles did now, but I would love the still have my launch PS3 working if it could. Or better yet, the PS5 to play my PS1-3 discs.
I traded my original 60GB PS3 to Best Buy ages ago, but the MGS4 software back-compat model I have still is SO loud. I'm much happier using the PS3 slim when I do want to play PS3 games now.

The 60gb Launch PS3 would like to have a word with you.
Like others said ylod and the high price point hurts it over the bc which is hit or miss since not all games are compatible. But yeah the bc is pretty neat. But not something I'd pay extra for.

I also hated how chonky the ps3 phat was. I liked the slim model for sure. Super slim was OK, but nowhere near as quality.
Additionally the Anorexic slim isn't very compatible with stuff like atelier rorona plus. Ran into crashing for the ending credits and a few dungeons. Had to transfer my save to my phat to finish. Anorexic slim is definitely not a favorite of mine due to the design and that problem. My slim got bricked after a squirrel jumped on my transformer.

Size, power wastage and sheer ugliness of the original PS3 doom it. Back compat is overrated. The upscaling was bad and added input lag. It was not a substitute for keeping the old PS2 around.

Looks like What Remains of Edith Finch for the PS5 finally got trophies after them not working yesterday, which includes two more trophies and a platinum on top of the nine from the original game.

Looks like What Remains of Edith Finch for the PS5 finally got trophies after them not working yesterday, which includes two more trophies and a platinum on top of the nine from the original game.
Prepare for one of the saddest games you will ever play for those that have not played this game before.

I meant on modern TV. The PS2 has crappy output compared to the Xbox and GameCube.
If you use component or a component to HDMI cord, you can get surprisingly solid picture out of it. I've been playing a lot of PS2 on original hardware lately that way and tbh you set it up right, it's comparable to the image you get playing PS2 on PS3.

Depends on the game tho too, PS2 games have varying native resolutions, so some just look *okay* no matter what

I meant on modern TV. The PS2 has crappy output compared to the Xbox and GameCube.

If you use component or a component to HDMI cord, you can get surprisingly solid picture out of it. I've been playing a lot of PS2 on original hardware lately that way and tbh you set it up right, it's comparable to the image you get playing PS2 on PS3.

Depends on the game tho too, PS2 games have varying native resolutions, so some just look *okay* no matter what
I agree about the component cable providing excellent quality for most PS2 games. Like you said, certain games like some of the classic arcade collections I have look kind of meh even with component cables. I think these games were designed for 480 resolution and the game does not support 720p resolution.

I agree about the component cable providing excellent quality for most PS2 games. Like you said, certain games like some of the classic arcade collections I have look kind of meh even with component cables. I think these games were designed for 480 resolution and the game does not support 720p resolution.
Just want to add my agreement about component cables being the way to go for PS2 on modern TVs. I went with the one from HD Retrovision (https://www.hdretrovision.com/other-consoles) and was really impressed and surprised at the quality. One of the best pieces of "retro" gear I've ever bought.

Just want to add my agreement about component cables being the way to go for PS2 on modern TVs. I went with the one from HD Retrovision (https://www.hdretrovision.com/other-consoles) and was really impressed and surprised at the quality. One of the best pieces of "retro" gear I've ever bought.
It's a little pricey, but the RetroTINK 5x-Pro with the HD Retrovision component cables make the PS2 look very impressive for what it has to work with. I think it looks better than a BC PS3. When I first hooked it up, I laughed to myself that I couldn't believe it looked as good as it did. Especially if the game can output 480p.

Strangers of Paradise's Trials of the Dragon King DLC was excellent. Just finished 100%ing it. The new mechanics are fun, challenging, and make going back to the endgame again so much more interesting than it was. And the new boss fights are incredible. I think it took me like, 30 hours.

Would like to see GT7 go on sale digitally to match all of the retail sales that launched today. Thinking on Wednesday it will go on sale.

Buying digitally for a game that requires online just makes sense over physical

beats when target sends me 5$ off my next order coupons inside the box when I order stuff and they are usually already expired and or have been for a few months. 

Also just a note but how did the PlayStation web site get worse for getting to the PS+ games. I'm on the basic and I remember like 2 or so clicks to get to the games before. I had a hard time finding them this time (I know Frisky does the links, but I was already signed in and looking). Just bad website design.

I have long given up navigating the PS Store. Dekudeals and PSPrices wishlisting for future discounts is the only sane way to go about buying games for good prices these days.

I have long given up navigating the PS Store. Dekudeals and PSPrices wishlisting for future discounts is the only sane way to go about buying games for good prices these days.
TrueTrophies will occasionally have decent sales breakdowns but they post inconsistently. The tracking on PSDeals and PlatPrices is also hit or miss.

Also just a note but how did the PlayStation web site get worse for getting to the PS+ games. I'm on the basic and I remember like 2 or so clicks to get to the games before. I had a hard time finding them this time (I know Frisky does the links, but I was already signed in and looking). Just bad website design.
Bad website design according to what metric, exactly? I doubt giving away free games is making them a lot of money.

Companies AB test website designs to achieve business value metrics, which means ultimately dollars spent. Taking up valuable screen real-estate to make it more convenient for people to get to the free games doesn't serve that purpose.

Etsy once AB tested deliberately adding latency to their website to see if it negatively impacted sales. It didn't, so they threw away a bunch of work they were going to do to make the site faster and more responsive.

Shit, I thought I was the only one thinking this... definitely hate how much harder they made it to find the games, I usually wait for someone on SD to post the links directly to the game pages and redeem them there.

I will use PSPrices and PlatPrices to browse games that are on sale to see what's out there that I may not know about, but I feel like the wishlist feature on the PS5 console itself is the best way to keep track of games that I already know I want.  It displays them in a straight up list you can scroll down and see all the current prices and I get notifications whenever anything on my list goes on sale.  The only gripe I have is that for some reason, there are some pieces of DLC that just can't be added to your wishlist; which is why I use PSPrices as a backup.

Lots of things that have previously been on sale for similar prices in this second half of this Summer Sale, but I did pick up two games on the ultra-cheap. Figment and Beautiful Desolation were/are each $1.99 (90% off; $19.99 normally). They aren’t AAA games or top-tier indies, but they looked interesting for the price. 

bread's done
Back