Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
There is literally no reason to buy games.
I find that I only buy games (or I guess have games bought for me) when someone asks me what I want as a present.

They're happy they bought me something I'd like and I'm still mad when the game becomes free but I guess I got to play it sooner.

I keep struggling to buy The Last of Us 2 at $9.99 because I keep holding out that it will be a PS+ Essential game, one of these months.

I took it to mean that if you just wait, you can play most of the games that get released. Yes, certain games do leave but you usually have a long time to play them. I was patient with Forbidden West and I was rewarded as I was with other games too. I also have Game Pass so buying a game for PS5 or Xbox is now rarer and rarer for me. Usually just reserve those for GOTY editions which typically don't get put on those services. I am referring to Fallout 4 GOTY, Ass Creed Origins Gold, Far Cry with all the DLC. Games like that. I have also bought games that I loved while they were a free preview or on a sub service for a discount.
Sent!

When I was younger, a service like game pass or PS+ Extra or Premium would have been amazing. Now, my time is more limited, so if there is a game I want to play, I'm going to buy it and play it. I still think Extra is great, and I played a few games through there that I wouldn't have otherwise. I'll buy fewer games because of it, but I'm not swearing off buying games altogether.
I have more responsibilities than time to game also. I find not buying games a great way to try the ones I wanted to play, sometimes finding out it’s not my jazz, or playing the main story, enjoying it and deleting it to move on to the next. There’s a good chance there will be some I buy like Diablo 4 to start at release but the rest of my purchases so far have just bit me in the ass. Kena, Tales of Arise, Scarlet Nexus, judgment, yakuza whichever version, forbidden west, are all games too long to finish that I’ve jumped around and could have saved me a lot.

I'm just checking out the FF XVI State of Play.  It looks great, but I don't think the I'll love the combat (might be too action-focused for me, although the ring/slowdown mechanic might help some).  I enjoyed the turn-based action/combat in Yakuza Like A Dragon, but didn't like what I played of the demo of Like A Dragon Ishin.  It seems like the Yakuza and FF series are going in opposite directions.  I guess I have two questions.  

Ishin is an older game that was released for the first time in US, so it has the older style of combat for Yakuza games, but new Yakuza games are going to have a similar style to Like A Dragon, is this correct?

Which FF games would be a similar style of combat?  I've been looking at FFXII or FFVII Remake, but wasn't sure how they stack up.   I also saw something about the remake adding a more traditional combat option in an update or something.

I'm streaming some Ghostwire: Tokyo to check out the game and hopefully see the new Spider's Thread content that was added in the new update.

Edit. Here's the archive. Ghostwire: Tokyo seems like a solid game that is basically a first-person shooter set in a spooky version of Tokyo as a fog has swept over the city and made a bunch of people disappear while various types of spirits have taken over the streets and major locales. It's way more of an open world than I was expected with a lot of collectibles and side stuff that fills out the map every time I checked it. The action itself is all right for what it is, though it can get hectic and reloading your spiritual ammo can take a lot of effort to find the floating items that refill a small portion of your ammo. Certain enemies or groups of enemies can be very annoying as they rush you a lot faster than your offensive or dodging capabilities really allow.

I was hoping to get to the new content, but that requires beating the 2nd chapter and that's probably a good 4 hours or so to do so. The first chapter is pretty quick, but the second chapter goes on a while as the open world opens up and the map gets filled out with tons of side stuff in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
FFXVI looks like any other fantasy game. It barely represents whatever FF is these days, but I'll still play it. I'm sure it will be epic in its storytelling (for better or worse) and can possibly just be another action game with RPG elements. It will be a true AAA experience at least. I'm going in with zero expectations for sure.

I ran a Crucial SSD in my PS4 Pro.  Loved it.  Bought that same Crucial NVME about a year ago and the speeds on it were very meh, so I returned it and got a WD Black.  Much better speeds from it.

M.2 prices seemed to start cratering about a week after I bough mine. I’m not too upset about it since I was able to buy it with gift cards bought with Microsoft rewards points. Needed the space for psvr2 games or else I’d have waited longer.

I ran a Crucial SSD in my PS4 Pro. Loved it. Bought that same Crucial NVME about a year ago and the speeds on it were very meh, so I returned it and got a WD Black. Much better speeds from it.
Digital Foundry said the speed is the same as the internal and that any SSD is constrained by the PS5 itself.

For whatever reason my account has not received a single playstation email in probably 10 years despite having everything in my account checked to send emails. So I've missed all the 20% discount codes sent out over the years and bonus for getting platinum trophies in certain games. Well I finally got an email from them this evening. The subject line was "This is our way of saying 'we missed you'". When I saw it I was like holy shit did I finally get a bonus from Sony. Nothing in the email outside of advertising their current sale on the PlayStation store. Brilliant troll move Sony.

April Extra and Premium Titles are up now.

PlayStation Premium | Classics

If it follows the "typical" discount approach of Square-Enix stuff, the bundle should get a 30% discount (so 52.49) at some point and I'll probably cave on that price like a sucker.

Apparently Star Wars Jedi:Survivor is a 148 GB download for PS5. :shock:
I'm not too pleased about it but I've been looking forward to playing this and even recently replayed Fallen Order in anticipation of the sequel. Luckily I just finished Horizon FW so I will just move that to my external storage to make room for Star Wars. I had no plans on playing Burning Shores right away so I can wait for a sale on that DLC.

Data management on the new consoles is a bitch.

I'm not too pleased about it but I've been looking forward to playing this and even recently replayed Fallen Order in anticipation of the sequel. Luckily I just finished Horizon FW so I will just move that to my external storage to make room for Star Wars. I had no plans on playing Burning Shores right away so I can wait for a sale on that DLC.

Data management on the new consoles is a bitch.
I've got Burning Shores waiting for me and I'm going to wait on Star Wars for a bit I think. I'll have enough space after I finish the Horizon DLC, but I didn't play Fallen Order until a month or two ago. I thought it was good, but I think I want to play Ghosts of Tsushima soon.

I'm streaming some Dredge if you want to see the spooky fishing game in action.

Edit: Here's the archive. It's a chill fishing game with some Cthulhu vibes to it as people on these mysterious islands give you tasks, buy the fish you've caught, and upgrading your ship to catch more fish and dredge more materials. I've been enjoying this a lot with the great style, great vibes, and good fishing gameplay loop that has kept me going for several hours so far. It's one of the best surprises of the year so far.

bread's done
Back