Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
My ranking of the FF games I've played:

9 (best FF game in my opinion and loveliest romance)
10 (verrrrrrrrrrry close second, 11/10 would break the game with the expert sphere grid again)
7 (most replayable of the bunch and has some of the most memorable scenes in all of gaming)
6 (sorry, I didn't play it when it came out so I never had the same attachment to it as I do the top three, but I still recognize it as a fantastic game)
15 (bros before hoes baybee)
12 (we need Sakimoto to score more FF games, and Vayne Solidor wasn't such a bad villain lol)
8 (draw and junction system sucks until you figure it out, then it's time to break the game in half)
16 (reverse recency bias; the more I think about it, the more I don't like it lol)
4 (great for its time, but 6 out-does it in everything)
5 (loved the job system, not so much the story)
13 (blandest OST of the bunch, nonsensical story, boring protagonist, but damn did it look pretty)
3 (kind of just worse 5, but gotta respect it for introducing the job system to the series)
1 (the OG, dated AF but a classic)
2 (I like this one more than most people, but yeah, it's best remembered as the SaGa prototype. And for HIS MAJESTY EMPEROR MATEUS)

As for spin-offs, my favorites are Crisis Core (ZACK MY LOVE) and 10-2 (yeah, the story is awful, but the gameplay is soooooooo good). The Tactics series is amazing, of course, and I really loved the original Crystal Chronicles, despite its flaws (beautiful soundtrack). Type-0 wasn't bad, but having to learn most of the story through archive entries was a pain (way too much like 13) and I never finished it. Speaking of 13, I need to get to its sequels one day.

Oh no wait, the best FF spin-off is Theatrhythm! Final Bar Line would be my GOTY if not for TotK lol

Oh theaterhythm curtain call is definitely my favorite spinoff thing in the series. I'm still sad dq one never got localized and Nintendo doesn't do touch screen support for the switch ones.

I was a whale and bought all the dlc for curtain call (discounted eshop credit of course) before the eshop closure. so they lost a lot of potential future money from me with the series.

I'd actually say that both games would be in my top 10 with curtain call top 5.

I also enjoyed that phone one record keeper. It was a neat variant of ff4/6 battle system.

Last edited:
Oh theaterhythm curtain call is definitely my favorite spinoff thing in the series. I'm still sad dq one never got localized and Nintendo doesn't do touch screen support for the switch ones.

I was a whale and bought all the dlc for curtain call (discounted eshop credit of course) before the eshop closure. so they lost a lot of potential future money from me with the series.
Oh I was salty as fuck that we never got the DQ one. Did you know all its DLC was free? Like, come on.

And yeah, it sucks the new one doesn't have touch controls, but the buttons do work really well. I thought I wouldn't like it as much with buttons, but I adapted pretty quickly and now, if I go back to Curtain Call, I'm not as good with touch anymore lol I was a major whale for FBL and bought the $100 super mega premium edition. No regrets lol

The PS4 version of Maneater is $4.99 on Woot and has a free upgrade to the PS5 version. It's free on PS Plus Extra but a fun game for $5 if you don't have extra. I saw the deal on the front page but figured I would post here in case anyone is interested.

Recently while playing cards again I've been meeting self-described "huge Final Fantasy fans" whom have never played anything prior to FF 10, which is kinda weird. Like that's where they started. These are ~28-33yo guys. One is 45 though. Who have sentiments like, "I tried going back to a couple of the old ones and whew boy, those are pretty rough", and they can't do it.

Recently while playing cards again I've been meeting self-described "huge Final Fantasy fans" whom have never played anything prior to FF 10, which is kinda weird. Like that's where they started. These are ~28-33yo guys. One is 45 though. Who have sentiments like, "I tried going back to a couple of the old ones and whew boy, those are pretty rough", and they can't do it.
I hate it when people act like games older than like PS2 are unplayable. It's not like games were nothing but smoke signals and cave drawings before then. Besides, there are tons of retro games that are rereleased with great QOL features that make them easier than ever to jump into. I recently completed the Sega Ages version of the first Phantasy Star and had a blast with it. Sure, it's very 80s, but it was such a cool precursor to JRPGs. And it had the first-ever female protagonist in an RPG! I loved it.

I hate it when people act like games older than like PS2 are unplayable. It's not like games were nothing but smoke signals and cave drawings before then. Besides, there are tons of retro games that are rereleased with great QOL features that make them easier than ever to jump into. I recently completed the Sega Ages version of the first Phantasy Star and had a blast with it. Sure, it's very 80s, but it was such a cool precursor to JRPGs. And it had the first-ever female protagonist in an RPG! I loved it.
I'll agree somewhat. But ff1 original is pretty insufferable because of limitations due to its age. Battles take up to like a half hour against mooks if you run into 9 mobs that each have a target all skill and vice versa for your 4 characters.

I mean, that can be true of any franchise. On both levels, really. I've never spent much time with Persona 1 or 2, though I very much adore the franchise. Buuuut...

Going back to Persona 3 and Persona 4 is rough as hell for me after Persona 5's QoL improvements.

Great games for their time, but they haven't held up for me as well as I could wish.

It happens just like me not enjoying my time with Rogue Legacy recently, and I enjoyed it much more when I played years earlier. Rogue Legacy 2 feels more like what I would want it to play like. FF1 is OK stuff and playable. Some like FF2 have such a nonsense leveling system nothing can save them even in newer versions.

The PS4 version of Maneater is $4.99 on Woot and has a free upgrade to the PS5 version. It's free on PS Plus Extra but a fun game for $5 if you don't have extra. I saw the deal on the front page but figured I would post here in case anyone is interested.

Played it when they gave it away for PS+ and it's pretty fun. Might be hell on your controller since they mapped bite to R2 and you'll be pushing down on that a lot.

I don't think I'll ever get over how good and fresh Persona 3 felt when i played on PS2 back in like 2008. totally invigorated my love for jrpgs, after tedious and rote games like Xenosaga.

P3 vanilla I could see. But p3p felt better than p5 despite its "qol" improvements. Most of the stuff in 5 I didn't care for. Outside of lucky crit skills and equipment. Now those were nice.
See, for me, Shadow negotiations and direct capture were so much less aggravating than "Shuffle Time" in P4G, for example.

Not saying everything P5 does is perfect, but after features like that, going back felt tedious.

FFVIII is the best core FF game, come at me.

Ok I’ll bite. 8 is the only one of the first 10 games that I genuinely dislike.

The junction system encourages grinding for spells for a huge chunk of the game, and then encourages the hoarding of those spells instead of actually using them so your stats don’t lower. It’s the only FF with level scaling which always sucks but is especially bad here: the optimal way to play it is to get Diabolos as soon as possible and get access to his No Encounters ability, and then you spend the rest of the game not fighting anything but bosses. The GF summon animations are absurdly long, but skipping them is a bad idea because you need to mindlessly mash the Square button through them during their entirety to boost their power. Horrible equipment system with only about 5-6 weapons for each character to get. A limit break system that forces you to manipulate your characters to be as close to death as possible, and limit breaks are vital due to how magic is way too valuable to waste. Storywise, it’s uniquely bad. The main big bad is a nonentity, the orphanage twist is moronic, and Squall is a creepy incel who barely talks.

I know what you mean. Once I met a person who said they were a "huge Boston Red Sox fan". This person never even watched a single Red Sox game before 2004. I found this weird because there is over a hundred years of Red Sox history this fake fan never watched. How could they be a TRUE fan if they do not do that.

Got my 2nd Platinum of the year with Double Dragon Gaiden. A very fun time in co-op. About 8 hours of game time to get the last trophy. Started Hogwarts Legacy on Tuesday. As someone who never got around to exploring the Harry Potter universe, It's still pretty cool so far. Looks like it's a big game. I'm playing on the 40 fps Balanced mode. It looks & plays great. It's easy to get lost running around the castle and looking at stuff. Hopefully I can beat it before FF7: Rebirth next month.

Sure, the very earliest games are pretty rough. But 4 onward are all very enjoyable experiences (other than FF8, yeah I'm a hater)

Agreed. FF8 is one of the worst FF's, even though it's still decent.

It's just so much of FF8's ball got dropped after Disc 1 (PSX version) and not-so-hot design decisions & character stuff here...
All of this is the problem: the grind of the game, need to stock up Magic from Drawing a lot and doing Random Battles a lot, obtuse-ness of Guardian Junction, long-winded Summons and early-on focus of needing to use these to win battles, Squall being so whiny to the points it annoying, Rinoa throwing herself at Squall so much & he does nothing about it for a long time period which is also annoying, the close-to-ending of space/time is what causes Squall to finally chase after Rinoa, Ultimecia is nowhere on the level of a villain as Kefka from FF6 or Seph from FF7, after the awesome twist of Ultimecia controlling Edea was revealed (i.e. the end of Disc 1 PSX version) they do not much at all with Ultimecia to build her up as a Villain & barely show her, Ultimecia is lacking as a villain with so much lack of details as a character (to the point they probably should've literally spelled out directly if RINOA = ULTIMECIA as that would've actually given Ultimecia more motive on coming after Squall in numerous ways & made Ultimecia matter big-time as a villain), etc etc.

Last edited:
My memory of FF8 is one of pure frustration. So I decided to change my team to level up some of my weaker characters. Something I did in FF7 a bunch. I made this change when I went into the Deling City Sewer. These characters were not prepared for this area of the game and kept getting destroyed and at the time I had no way to leave that area or change characters. I also didn't have a save that was close to this area. It was from many hours previous. I never played any more of the game after that and it really pissed me off because I was really enjoying the game until that happened.

If you aren’t specifically talking about Episode II, your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.
Without mods to speed it up I would say 1 is pretty unplayable for me due to how slow it is. I needed a mod for the character movement speed and to speed up combat. but the latter wouldn't be a deal breaker like the former was. Shion has a terrible movement speed but ziggy takes the cake for worst I have ever experienced.

Since were talking about Final Fantasy, I just recently replayed a few of them due to picking up the pixel remasters which so far have been excellent imo. For me I just finished up 4 not to long ago and it hit the nostalgia strings in all the right places for me as it really was my first Final Fantasy ever at that point and really kind of got me into the rpg genre. I played a few before hand like the Bard's Tale series on my brother's C64, but it was FF4 that cemented my love for the genre and the flood of memberberries of playing the living hell out of it when I was younger was a nice feeling.

1706258840741.jpeg

Ok I’ll bite. 8 is the only one of the first 10 games that I genuinely dislike.

The junction system encourages grinding for spells for a huge chunk of the game, and then encourages the hoarding of those spells instead of actually using them so your stats don’t lower. It’s the only FF with level scaling which always sucks but is especially bad here: the optimal way to play it is to get Diabolos as soon as possible and get access to his No Encounters ability, and then you spend the rest of the game not fighting anything but bosses. The GF summon animations are absurdly long, but skipping them is a bad idea because you need to mindlessly mash the Square button through them during their entirety to boost their power. Horrible equipment system with only about 5-6 weapons for each character to get. A limit break system that forces you to manipulate your characters to be as close to death as possible, and limit breaks are vital due to how magic is way too valuable to waste. Storywise, it’s uniquely bad. The main big bad is a nonentity, the orphanage twist is moronic, and Squall is a creepy incel who barely talks.

I’ll bite back, then.

The junction system, while quite easily broken, is the most honestly creative gameplay system that’s been featured in any Final Fantasy game and the best realized other than the job system. It encourages the player to think about how to build his party, and while it’s simple enough to abuse, it’s also quite flexible for someone who doesn’t want to think too much about it. In comparison, every other FF gameplay gimmick (again, excluding the job system) has been essentially nothing but braindead grinding.

The level scaling in FF8 is some of the best implemented in any game I’ve played. I’ve played FF8 casually and as a minmaxing munchkin, and I’ve had satisfying experiences both ways. Playing casually, I never felt the need to grind, simply going through the game fighting things as they came and spending a little time here and there drawing extra magic. I never felt like the challenge became draining, nor that I wasn’t becoming gradually more powerful. If it ever felt like I wasn’t breezing through early enemies fast enough in combat, I could use the half- or no-encounter abilities to avoid fighting them altogether. Playing to minmax, I enjoyed the initial challenge of trying to survive at minimum level with few junctions to boost my stats, and then the challenge of avoiding killing the things I needed to fight, adjusting my level very precisely, and seeking new and unusual ways to increase my strength. It does get a bit grindy, but what minmaxing playthrough in any RPG doesn’t? And in FF8, at least you’re not always grinding combat—almost as often you’re grinding triple triads, which many seem to consider the best minigame in any FF.

GFs are a bit of a problem, I’ll admit. The lengthy animations (and Tetsuya Nomura being pretty much at the top of his design game back then) means they have a ton of personality, but they do get repetitive, and some of them (Eden) are absurdly long. The real problem is that they do so little damage compared to minmaxed attacks and limit breaks that there’s not much point in using them in any such run, even with boosting. Definitely one of the worst thought out features in the game.

You’re gonna have to explain how the equipment system is horrible. Because it demands you look for the crafting components? I’m not saying it particularly stands out beyond the gimmick of upgrading weapons rather than buying new ones, mind you, but what exactly is there to hate about it? I don’t think I’ve ever seen this complaint before. I feel like there’s not enough there to hate. Or is the absence of more equipment the problem? I mean, I do believe in the power of stuff, but JRPG equipment tends to just be “exchange (money) points for (attack/defense) points,” or “go through every square inch of this maze and get a slightly increased attack/defense stat.” I don’t feel particularly robbed not getting that experience.

The limit break system is far better implemented than FF7’s or the Trance system that replaced it, demanding a risk-reward style of gameplay—as your risk becomes progressively higher, you gain easier access to progressively more powerful attacks. And you don’t need to take any risk at all to access limit breaks in general, since the aura spell exists. Unlike FF7 and the Trance system, many of the limit breaks also feature player interaction, instead of forcing you to just sit and watch the animations, and unlike summons, that interaction is often more than button mashing. I’ll grant that the animations are lengthy, like summons.

Casting junctioned magic is another sacrifice system—the player is encouraged to be strategic about using their powerful spells, due to those spells serving another function. You’re not overly penalized for casting (even the best junction spells don’t drop your stats all that much for losing five or so per battle), and since your inactive party members can store extra magic (and you can refine most magic from items), a reasonably prepared player rarely has to worry about running low. The real problem with magic is that, like GFs, it just isn’t powerful enough compared to minmaxed attacking and limits, so in any such run there’s rarely any point to using anything other than support magic.

The story is unfinished—not bad. It feels like the third act was rushed out the door before they had a chance to flesh anything out. The lead up to it is one of the best in the core series, there are intriguing hints here and there of where it might have been going, and the game has perhaps the best realized world of any FF—the towns feel lived in and distinct without being exaggerated or cliched, the NPCs have a ton of personality, even down to the dialogue and animations of the nameless mob characters, and it feels like there are things going on and history outside the main quest.

I’ve heard a lot of complaints about Squall, but never that he’s an incel. He’s a brooding teenager who feels disconnected from everything, and I can see how that might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but incel? Also, while brooding loner teen protagonist has become a hugely overused trope since FF8’s release, I still think that Squall—and the rest of the main cast, for that matter—are examples of well written adolescent characters. They have dumb adolescent problems, and do dumb adolescent things, but I think they’re written believably enough to be relatable to anyone who’s been a dumb adolescent. Which should be anyone over 11, really. Also they have actual character arcs—for example, Squall goes from brooding loner who doesn’t want to rely on anybody to learning he can rely on others, and to be somebody others can rely on. That’s more than can be said for most adolescent characters.

FFVIII has some major flaws—the balance is wonky, the creators tried to go too cinematic with stuff like summon and limit animations, the system can be broken wide open for minmaxing, and the story is at best two thirds finished (and lets be honest, may be closer to half). At the same time, it’s not hard to see how the seeds (heh) of a truly great game were germinating here. The gameplay systems encourage strategic planning over mindless grinding and a greater degree of player interaction than almost any other JRPG of its era or earlier. There’s a ton of care that’s been put into crafting the world and characters. Monster and environmental design is perhaps some of the best in the series. The presentation is excellent—as annoying as those long summon and limit animations can be when watching for the hundredth time, on their own merits they’re mostly great. The interactions between gameplay and pre-rendered cutscenes are easily the best of any game that had come out at the time, and honestly I feel like there still aren’t a ton of games that do cutscene integration better. The story clearly needed more time in the oven, but even as is, there’s something really enjoyable there.

FF8 is gr8. I said it. I sort of regret typing it that way, but I’m not taking it back, so nyeh.

Last edited:
FF8 is gr8. I said it. I sort of regret typing it that way, but I’m not taking it back, so nyeh.
We all need to find someone in our lives who will speak as highly of us as Souffrir speaks of FFVIII.

I agree with a lot of your points, though. I've often cited FFVIII as an example of a level scaling system that actually works, because the game wants you to learn its systems (drawing, junctioning, GFs) and use those to improve your characters, rather than just brute force grinding. The true joy of the game is collecting magic, raising GFs, and junctioning all of these great resources onto your party members to fully optimize your stats.

Squall has never been my favorite FF protagonist, but I appreciate the story they were trying to tell about a very introverted loner who grows to be a trusted leader of his peers. Plus, I greatly enjoyed bouncing between him and Laguna and seeing how those two stories would connect. Yeah, the narrative is very unfinished, but the bones are there and it's not hard to put the pieces together. Honestly, I feel his character growth is very much like Cloud's, though due to the horrid translation* and sometimes scatterbrained nature of the original FFVII story, Squall's shift from jerk to hero actually seemed a little more organic (Cloud always seemed like he was 100% after Sephiroth first, then saving the Planet came later).

One thing that needs to be mentioned is the OST. I used to think it was one of Uematsu's weaker entries, but I've come around to it over the years and have really seen its merits. I love the juxtaposition of military marches and ethereal harpsichord tones, representing the fantastical magic of the Sorceresses colliding with a modern world. Everyone always thinks of Liberi Fatali when you say "FFVIII's theme song," but I've always felt The Landing was the true theme of the game. It perfectly captures the feel of troops storming a battlefield, with lighter flourishes in the middle reminding the listener that there are teenagers fighting, possibly running to their deaths. Oh, and Man with the Machine Gun is such an incredible battle theme, and unique for the FF series. Seriously, the OST is incredible.

So yeah, FFVIII isn't that bad at all. It had enough of an impact on me that whenever I play a game that has you do things like slot gems or add-ons into equipment or onto stats, I just naturally say I'm junctioning lol

*to be fair, FFVII's translation was done by one guy who had no context for the script, so knowing that, it's actually impressively competent.

FFVIII isn't a bad game by any means. Sure, there's some clunky design choices and the story really just went out there the last 1/3, but as others have stated, there's good bones and some interesting ideas.

Triple triad is fantastic, I think blitzball is the only other mini game in the series that even comes close. Grinding to get the OP cards and then using them to obtain magic and materials you aren't supposed to get until much later is quite fun.

Squall isn't an incel, geez. He's an introverted brooding boy trying to figure out his place. I relate to him quite a bit, better than most FF protagonists. I really am intrigued by the theory that he died at the end of disc 1 and the rest of it is a "what if" scenario playing out in his mind.

This will draw flak but I believe FF8's OST to be better than 7 and probably the best in the series overall. I haven't heard FFXIV or FFXVI much at all other than a few songs (mainly from XIV). FF8 has amazing music and that should never be overlooked. I would rate the music 8>10>7>9>6>4>12>13>5>11>15>3>2>1 . FF8 orchestral music is amazing and helped me to sleep many days in high school.

I'm fond of FF8, probably played it more than any other non-MMO FF entry. First time, I went through using a lot of summons, and then later just abused junctions. It's not like Materias weren't restrictive unless you grind and clone the good ones either.

The music is probably the best overall in FF. Maybe not the best singular song overall, but it has a large number of above average songs. I listen to it far more often than any other game OST.

This will draw flak but I believe FF8's OST to be better than 7 and probably the best in the series overall. I haven't heard FFXIV or FFXVI much at all other than a few songs (mainly from XIV). FF8 has amazing music and that should never be overlooked. I would rate the music 8>10>7>9>6>4>12>13>5>11>15>3>2>1 . FF8 orchestral music is amazing and helped me to sleep many days in high school.

As far as I’m concerned, Nobuo Uematsu’s work in Final Fantasy just got better as the series progressed. I hate X, and he only contributed portions of its OST, but To Zanarkand is one of the best pieces in any FF game. For the soundtracks he’s primarily responsible for, my list is literally just the order of the games backwards, and VIII and IX are just some of the best soundtracks out there.

FFX is great but that’s when the series took a turn for the worse in my opinion. FF1-9 were all just improving and refining the same formula. Not that they always got better, but they were still FF. I would have loved to see what that successful formula would look like today if they had kept with it. X is when they lost it by ditching the world map. Still had the right atmosphere, same with FFXII, after that it’s like a whole different series to me.

Final Fantasy 4 (FF2 in the US) and 6 are the only ones I played to completion on SNES. By the time FF7 came out I had lost interest in the series. I have tried some of the newer games here and there, but they just don't grab me. I do enjoy FF Fables Chocobo's mystery dungeon though.

I just wonder if people's favorite FF is the one they started with.

To Zanarkard is the best FF song. If anyone likes FF at all, I recommended seeing the orchestral concert if it comes around near you. Mine was a celebration of FF6 but played a lot of other stuff. Nobuo Uematsu even conducted. He had us sing the "Sephiroth" part of One Winged Angel and the guy next to me sang ALL the words was the Pavarotti. Also a girl came dressed as Fran from FF12.

And now for a likely controversial opinion, 15 is a better FF experience and game overall than 16.

Nope. I started with FF1 on the NES; it ain't my favorite.

Sure, I liked it back in the day a lot - but give me FF6, FF7, and FF9 over FF1 any day. I think FF6 is the best FF, but FF7 or FF9 might be my favorite. Hard to choose my favorite, since I love FF7 and 9 so much.

The magic of original NES Final Fantasy is what got me into jrpgs, and started it all. It was dungeons and dragons in video game format! We didn't have a computer. But my dad let the NES do the babysitting. Dragon Quest 1 was boring after you got out of the first few towns. But FF had all kinds of NPCs/quests, with their lore, exploration, and hidden items which that made it feel magical.

Technically, my first FF experience was with IV. But that was kinda hands-off because I was at a friend's house watching him play. My first personal playthrough a FF game was VI. It is, indeed, my favorite one. It's my favorite game ever actually. (FFVI, Suikoden II, FFVII, and Chrono Cross being the top four)

I think it says a lot that as a music junkie who loves to put on his own playlist and grind, there are several FF games that I will play with the sound on at all times because I want to hear it.

bread's done
Back