PlayStation Move - Launching September 19, 2010 (US)

NamPaehc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Feature-PS-Move-2.jpg

PlayStation Move is an upcoming motion-sensing game controller platform for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) video game console by Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE). Based on a handheld motion controller wand, PlayStation Move uses the PlayStation Eye camera to track the wand's position, and inertial sensors in the wand to detect its motion.
US FAQ Covers pricing, general info, how to use, etc.

Q: Do I need to purchase everything separately?
A: It’s your choice: you can buy the components bundled together (PlayStation Move bundle details) or purchase them separately.
Pricing:

• PlayStation Move motion controller – $49.99 (MSRP)
  • PlayStation Eye camera – $39.99 (MSRP)
  • PlayStation Move navigation controller – $29.99 (MSRP)
  • PlayStation Move charging station – $29.99 (MSRP)
  • PlayStation Move shooting attachment – $19.99 (MSRP)

Bundles:

• PlayStation Move bundle – $99.99 (MSRP)
    • Includes PlayStation Move motion controller, PlayStation Eye, Sports Champions Blu-ray game, and PlayStation Move game demo disc
  • PlayStation 3 Sports Champion Move Bundle – $399.99 (MSRP)
    • Includes PlayStation 3 system with 320GB HDD, PlayStation Move motion controller, PlayStation Eye, Sports Champions Blu-ray game, DUALSHOCK 3 controller, and PlayStation Move game demo disc
FAQ about PS Move (Europe)

Launch titles:

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Champi..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1284040165&sr=1-1Sports Champions: This is a sports compilation including several disciplines including Disc Golf, Archery, Table Tennis, Bocce and Gladiator Arena.

Start the Party: Perfect family game mini compilation. It is augmented reality based and puts players into the game using the PS Eye camera.

Tumble: A downloadable PSN game that uses the Move to control blocks and other objects in unique challenges, think about Jenga-like mini games.

EyePet: Players take care of and play with an adorable little pet in your living room.

Kung Fu Rider: A wacky office chair racing game where players use all sorts of chairs in races and challenges.

Racquet sports: Tennis game similar to Wii Tennis with a higher amount of accuracy and true one to one movement.

Heavy Rain: This is an existing which receives a Move controller input update. Play four characters in an interactive drama with unique and immersive
controls.

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition: Play RE5 using Move controls (launch day patch), this will also require a Navigation controller or Dualshock.

Tiger Woods 11: Play an incredibly realistic golf game using the Move controller (game will receive a patch)

MAG: A massive 256 player online only First Person Shooter. The game will receive a patch to include Move controls.

Time Crisis: A light gun style shooter from the arcade series.

RUSE: A Real Time Strategy game using the Move, along with standard controls.
Hardware Reviews:
CNET
Engadet
IGN (8.5/10) Unboxing video
Joystiq

Pre-Launch info:

Press release info with specs can be found HERE:

tgs-09-hirai-0196-rm-eng.jpg

Joystiq has some early images of it.

motiontech580pxheaderimg.jpg

sony-keynote-2-008-rm-eng.jpg

Doesn't look that bad to me. Wonder how many color choices it will have for the sphere.

And it looks like they are going to put in motion controls for some older titles also.

Title name
----------
Ape Escape (Working Title)
Echochrome 2 (Working Title)
Eccentric Slider (Working Title)
Sing and Draw (Working Title)
Champions of Time (Working Title)
Motion Party (Working Title)
The Shoot (Working Title)
Tower (Working Title)
PAIN(*2)
Flower(*2)
Hustle Kings(*2)
High Velocity Bowling(*2)
EyePet(*2)
*1 Titles to be released will depend by countries or regions.
*2 Motion control function will be added by network update, etc.
Resident Evil 5 is also getting a re-release with new content and motion controls.

A demo was shown of two players (one with a Motion Controller and another with DuelShock) playing little big planet together.

Sony has shown off LittleBigPlanet being played using the motion controller. One player uses the controller to manipulate objects in the game world to help the other player move past obstacles. The player with the motion controller is also capable of accidentally killing the other player, so you must be careful where you move objects. It is imaginable that the controller can also be used in create mode as well, though nothing was shown to advertise it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't anything but a tube with a ball on it... and lights... bells and whistles... I want 4 of them plus game for 49.99, maybe 59.99.

Wow, looks oddly familiar..

I cant imagine this will take off. Might sell as much as the PS eye has and thats it.

We will see.

I think these will be integrated at the next cycle however.

That's.. cute.
I want a motion controlled Tinker Bell game where I get to flutter around zapping things with my wand.
If they wish to make it look like a wand, well, why not?

yea- Everytime I see those things, I think "Cost?" They look neat and all, but if I the user community needs a camera, and a controller to make it work- they've got to make that happen for less than 100 bucks, meaning those things can't cost as much as a DS3.

The Wii's controller is $39.99 (plus another $19.99 for the nunchuk). I would expect at least that. I could see $39.99 standalone, and $59.99 bundled with the PSEye.

I was wary of the support for the controller until I read about the RE5 Director's Cut, LBP and (thank god) High Velocity Bowling. fucking awesome.

I'm interested to see what becomes the killer app for this. Every new gizmo needs that one thing that stands above all else to make people really want it. Most of those games sound nice, but don't scream "gotta have it".

Cool, but by the time I end up with 4 DS3s my wallet will probably say no to this motion controller. DS3's are expensive enough, throwing these into the mix probably wont help. As much as I'd like to pick some of these up for when I have friends over, cost is really a deciding factor for me. 4 controllers + an eyetoy will probably run a decent chunk of change IMO.

[quote name='Salamando3000']I'm interested to see what becomes the killer app for this. Every new gizmo needs that one thing that stands above all else to make people really want it. Most of those games sound nice, but don't scream "gotta have it".[/QUOTE]

Killer App coming to PS3

13380.jpg

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'll buy it, but only because I have nearly every other accessory that sony has put out for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

This

mmm would be kinda cool if they got it to double as a blu-ray remote...but probably won't. Would also only consider if it is cheap, these things always turn out to be too gimmicky. Do you need the eye toy thing for this thing to work?

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Gonna be pissed if my RE5 doesn't get patched for MC.[/QUOTE]

But the new game will also include a chapter about Jill!

I wonder if the trophies earned in RE5: Vanilla will carry over, or if you could another round. Would be neat since I know how to get everything but I definitely am not willing to put the time in to buy all weapons & upgrades (even with the item duplication trick).

If Sony wants to take all the wind out of Natal and make consumers say, "So what?" then they'd better price this thing competitively and have a whole bunch of killer apps (read: not mini-game collections) throughout the year.

And an updated, discounted RE5 may be a good first step.

The main question I have is... Does anyone see an analog stick on that thing? How are we expected to move without an analog stick especially in RE5?

I see the face buttons, an a button in the middle which I presume to be the color change button... but... MOVEMENT PL0x?

There's a video floating around of someone playing RE5 with the motion controller. It shows him holding a Dualshock in his other hand, sort of like a wiimote/nunchuk arrangement. I could see someone releasing more of a nunchuk-shaped peripheral for this, too.

Edit: Here's the video. Skip to about 2:50 to see the gameplay intercut with the guy holding the controllers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgDV48JbYXw

Maybe it's just my imagination but the reticle seems to be a lot less jittery than the one in RE4 Wii. Maybe this is the motion controller's rumored extra precision at work, or maybe the guy just has a really steady hand. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='metaly']There's a video floating around of someone playing RE5 with the motion controller. It shows him holding a Dualshock in his other hand, sort of like a wiimote/nunchuk arrangement. I could see someone releasing more of a nunchuk-shaped peripheral for this, too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah here is one of the videos.

I hear the wand will be 29.99. There will also be a wand + pseye + game bundle.

I cannot wait to get my hands on it to be honest, i own all the games that are getting patched, so i'll have a lot of games to play with it on day 1.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Wait... you have to hold ur "wand" and the DS3 in your hands at the same time? Uhh...[/QUOTE]

Yeah... that's just stupid. I mean, I liked the demos they showed at E3 but I never thought that it would come to an issue like this.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Wait... you have to hold ur "wand" and the DS3 in your hands at the same time? Uhh...[/QUOTE]

Ew.

If a second controller is a must, at least give us something more convenient to use. I don't wanna hold a DS3 at the same time. :cry:

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'll buy it, but only because I have nearly every other accessory that sony has put out for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='niceguyshawne']This[/QUOTE]

That's some baaaaaaaaad logic, to buy something JUST because fuckin' Sony makes it.

Whoever wants this thing though better go hit up Sears/Kmart while they have the EOJ/PSEye on clearance, since Sony will probably gouge out the fuckin' ass for a bundle like always.:roll:

I don't know, holding the DS3 feels pretty good to me with it in my left hand. Give it a try.

And, do you guys really want to pay for another item??

Plus, I wonder how it might work with the motion sensors already in the DuelShook controller. The wii's nun-c doesn't have that does it? Wouldn't be as precise, but I could see it being used in the off hand easily.

Using the Dualshock in one hand feels decent. It's definitely not as comfortable as the nunchuk when trying to be ready on L1/L2 simultaneously (understandable, since one was designed to be used one-handed and the other wasn't), but it's workable. It would be nice if Sony did come up with their own solution, or at least laid out a standard button/stick scheme for an off-hand controller. If they just made an ASCII Grip 3.0 it would be completely amazing. If it were wireless I could even see myself paying a decent amount.

You know, I personally think they should shove an analog stick on the TOP of the controller, or do a dual-wand combo where one want has the light change button or something and the other has an analog stick.

Also, does the thing have a triggeron the button including the above face buttons?

There is a bluetooth nunchuck thingy coming out, its basically the left side of the DS3 in a nicer form factor. However, it is NOT required and you can use the DS3 for free. So if you cannot get over the DS3 implementation, there will be an alternative.

[quote name='blitz6speed']There is a bluetooth nunchuck thingy coming out, its basically the left side of the DS3 in a nicer form factor. However, it is NOT required and you can use the DS3 for free. So if you cannot get over the DS3 implementation, there will be an alternative.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a reasonable solution, and should prevent some backlash from consumers who might otherwise say, "I have to buy the camera, wand, AND another attachment?"

Yay for not adding more barriers to entry.

[quote name='blitz6speed']There is a bluetooth nunchuck thingy coming out, its basically the left side of the DS3 in a nicer form factor. However, it is NOT required and you can use the DS3 for free. So if you cannot get over the DS3 implementation, there will be an alternative.[/QUOTE]

So now Sony is copying Nintendo with a nunchuck and remote and everybody is like 'this is the greatest idea EVAR', yet when Nintendo did it it was a 'gimmick'.

:roll:

As long as Sony doesn't pull another bone headed business move and say that all games will have to be patched and played with their new peripheral and the Dual Shock/SixAxis controllers will be phased out entirely, then we will not have an issue. But knowing Sony and their dumb fucks they have in charge this gen, they will screw this up somehow. :lol:

Say hi to Sega for us, Sony.

Exactly my thoughts cheapest... If Sony is already talking to Sega about dreamcast, can you please also mention to them changing their "hardcore motion sensing platform" to the PS3?

If the Wii doesn't appreciate the hardcore games, I think that playstation owners will. The higher fidelity on controls and graphics I think will be a pleasant addition. I for one wouldn't mind having No More Heroes (not sega), Okami (not sega), Madworld 2?, House of the Dead HD among others on this periphrial.

If they can get more periphrial controls behind this thing in hardcore games like RE5, I wouldn't complain. The option is nice, and with the clunky RE5 controllers, it is also welcomed.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']The only thing that concerns me about the DS3/Wand combo is that
I'm left handed :cry:
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they'll take that into consideration. I mean, the DS3 is uniform on both the left and right sides with the only difference being the D-pad on the left and the face buttons on the right. That problem is easily solved by just mapping the D-pad on the face buttons (triangle for up, X for down, and so on).

It's no longer coming out this Spring:
Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that it will release its new Motion Controller (tentative name) for PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system in fall 2010 in Japan, Asian regions and countries, North America and Europe/PAL territories together with an extensive line-up of exciting software titles. The new controller, combined together with the PlayStation®Eye camera*2, can detect the natural and intuitive movement of the hand and reflect the precise movement within the game, delivering a whole new entertainment experience on PS3.

“We have decided to release the Motion Controller in fall 2010 when we will be able to offer an exciting and varied line-up of software titles that will deliver the new entertainment experience to PS3 users, ” said Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “We will continue to work to have a comprehensive portfolio of attractive and innovative games for the Motion Controller, not only from SCE Worldwide Studios but also from the third party developers and publishers, whom we have been working closely with. We look forward to soon unveiling the exciting software line-up that further expand and define the PS3 platform as the ultimate entertainment system for the home.”

SCE will vigorously promote the Motion Controller as the de facto controller of the PS3 platform along with the DUALSHOCK® series controller and will deploy various measures to enhance the software title line-up for the Motion Controller, delivering groundbreaking interactive entertainment only possible on the PS3 platform.

*1 Motion Controller is a tentative name.
*2 Users will need to use the PlayStation Eye camera to enjoy Motion Controller on PS3.
Seems like it's due to wanting more games to release alongside it, which seems like a smart strategy. I wonder how this affects the RE5 re-release that was also supposed to be out around the same time.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's no longer coming out this Spring:

Seems like it's due to wanting more games to release alongside it, which seems like a smart strategy. I wonder how this affects the RE5 re-release that was also supposed to be out around the same time.[/QUOTE]

I actually think that's a great idea to have a multitude of games available for a new peripheral. Then your users don't become resentful because that Wii Motion Plus has been sitting in the drawer for 6 months with nobody to play with.

And no, the Eye is used in conjunction with the wand, so it won't become a useless piece of crap like the camera for the 360 that was also an under-supported peripheral.

Well, as much of a disappointment the Wii has been for me, I'm actually looking forward to this coming out.

I'm glad this is coming this fall, because my spring is booked solid.

bread's done
Back