Playstation phone FREE w/2yr contract plus $20 credit @ BB 9/8-9/20 Online only

Enuf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Found this on the BB RZ page under "offers & promotions";

1000 Bonus Points ($20 in Reward Certificates)
For a limited time, get the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY mobile phone for free -- plus receive 1000 Reward Zone® program bonus points -- with a new or upgraded 24-month agreement.
This phone has it all. PlayStation gaming controls. Android operating system. Bluetooth capabilities. Touch screen display. Front- and rear-mount digital cameras. And more.

Through September 20, and as a Reward Zone member, the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY mobile phone can be yours for free (reg. price $99.99) with a new or upgraded 24-month agreement and activation through Best Buy Mobile Solutions. Plus, you'll receive an additional 500 bonus points.

Combined with the everyday Reward Zone promotion offering 500 bonus points on any mobile phone with a new or upgraded 24-month agreement, you'll receive a total of 1000 bonus points for choosing this feature-rich phone right now.

Valid September 8-20, and online only. You must log in to RewardZoneMobile.com to take advantage of this special offer. Buy now.

It's available thru Verizon 5/26 it's out now review link:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/117/1171313p1.html

Will come preloaded with seven games, including: Madden NFL 11 (EA Sports), Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior (Digital Legends), Asphalt 6: Adrenaline (Gameloft), The Sims 3 (EA), Star Battalion (Gameloft), Crash Bandicoot (Sony PlayStation), and Tetris (EA). A total of 50 games will be available for download at launch.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6314172.html?tag=newsticker;headline;2

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting....my verizon contract expires this summer. can you download any psp games to it that you bought off psn?

[quote name='topplehat']Cool MSRP, bro[/QUOTE]Was just about to point that out as well. And it's $200 WITH a 2-year contract. Actual MSRP is probably going to be $400-ish.

[quote name='Lei']interesting....my verizon contract expires this summer. can you download any psp games to it that you bought off psn?[/QUOTE]

nope.

this phone has fail written all over it. it won't link up to PSN, so any PS1 game you want, you will have to buy again.

No verizon plans starts at 30 a month for smartphones. 30 is what you'll pay in data and then you have to usually have to have a voice package to get the phone at 200 dollars.

Also this phone doesn't play psp games which seems to be the big misconception. It does however make for an awesome GBA/SNES phone.

Erm yeah...

- That price is just data. I only pay $60 for two lines on T-Mobile with unlimited text, voice but no data. I would have to pay a lot more just to switch to Verizon.
- You can't re-download PSN games, so you have to buy PS1 titles all over again.
- I haven't read if this plays PSP games, only PS1 games. So no Disgaea or Phantasy Star Universe = fail
- Price, price, price. On top of Verizon's absurd charges I have to pay another $200 just for the phone. Yikes.

Whatever happended to cheap data plans? Or no data? I got a that horrid N Gage years ago for $100 check written to me AND no data AND free games.

Yikes. $200 is $100 too much for a psone machine.

And the app store will unfortunately never take off like the apple one does, despite this one having a real method of input for games.

People will just continue wasting their money on shitty iphone games with horrible controls, unfortunately.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']That's a fair price for a smartphone though.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Many smartphones have been $100 when signing up with the same plan or free after rebate. $200 for a phone + signing up for a 2 year plan + $30 a month for data is WAY too much money for a PHONE.

I love Sony, but this phone is destined to fail. It is ugly (one of the worst looking phone I have seen), doesn't work with PSN, and is too expensive. Sorry Sony, you lose this round.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Not really. Many smartphones have been $100 when signing up with the same plan or free after rebate.[/QUOTE]

not at launch. this phone will be that cheap once the next gen is put out.

watch the hands-on over at IGN for some perspective. this thing is rad as a smartphone game device, but is not (and isnt meant to be) a replacement for a PSP or the NGP. it's high powered for a smartphone, games-wise though.

so let me get this right...
-the phone dosn't work with psn,
-I can't play already bought ps1 or psp games, i'll have to re-buy
- anything I buy on the phone won't work on my ps3/psp

...? :cry:

I'm hoping that this will work with PagePlus. But I'll still be waiting until the non contract prices fall a reasonable amount. It is stupid though that you can't get the PS1 games you paid for on PSN. That alone dooms this phone to failure. That will help the price fall quickly, but also it will end up not having a large selection of games.

I think they should have just turned NGP into a phone. They could have the option for regular and phone versions. I don't see any reason to pay for 3G on the NGP unless it also worked as a phone. 3G NGP is probably going to be a waste of money.

Yeah this is a typically sony like bad choice.

should have been $100 with contract. Even the older iphone model is only $50.. is anyone going to pick this over that for 4x the price?

If this price is any evidence the NGP will be $500, lol.

[quote name='aem']
I think they should have just turned NGP into a phone. They could have the option for regular and phone versions. I don't see any reason to pay for 3G on the NGP unless it also worked as a phone. 3G NGP is probably going to be a waste of money.[/QUOTE]

NGM plus phone would cost way way too much, i think this thing, kinda like an improved pspgo is great, but not being connected to psn is goin to kill it, if they only put psn on this than it would of been perfect.

[quote name='MorningGlow']Why doesn't this work with PSN? That's stupid. (I'm complaining about everything today.)[/QUOTE]

The Government is watching you.

why are you guys all hating on this phone so much? Ignore the fact that it doesn't sync with PSN... It has an effin Gamepad! You can play ALL 50,000 of those android games with it that you all wished you had a gamepad for before, not to mention all the emulators that are on Android!

And $200 is very fair for this device. It is superior to all of its predecessors technically and again, it has a gamepad.

This phone will not fail. At the very least, it is a gamers android phone. Quit hating so much on Sony just because of one minor thing...

Oh and as far as pricing goes on data... It's NO different than any other smartphone on the market, so you can't say it's not worth it because of that (go back to your flip phones you cavemen)

[quote name='thesuzukimethod']not at launch. this phone will be that cheap once the next gen is put out.

watch the hands-on over at IGN for some perspective. this thing is rad as a smartphone game device, but is not (and isnt meant to be) a replacement for a PSP or the NGP. it's high powered for a smartphone, games-wise though.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, so many dumb people in this thread. This is an android phone first and a playstation phone second. All smartphones launch at $200. This will probably be down to $100 with contract within 3-6 months. Also Sony Ericsson and Sony Playstation are two different brands and divisions, and it has nothing to do with the Playstation except make it "Playstation Certified," whatever that means.

I'm kind of looking for a new phone but will probably wait for the Arc, or the Galaxy S II.

I think it has potential being an Android device. It seems like a huge step up from those two game phones Tmobile released years ago that failed fast. Since this is a Sony phone if they were to either include support for the psn store or offer it in a proceeding model if this does well I could see myself being interested. In my case I owned a pspgo but had to sell around xmas time for the kids and luckily I managed to sell it for a really good amount. I no longer own UMD games so for me if I could transfer all the psp games I own this would be great.

Well on the upside, my Droid Eris FINALLY is elligible for an upgrade this week. Might considering getting one of these if the price isnt too steep. (That or ill just get an Iphone @_@)

[quote name='jer7583']Yeah this is a typically sony like bad choice.

should have been $100 with contract. Even the older iphone model is only $50.. is anyone going to pick this over that for 4x the price?

If this price is any evidence the NGP will be $500, lol.[/QUOTE]

Older Iphone models are sold on ATT for $50 as ATT is in trouble now that they lost their halo of being the only US company with an Iphone. Verizon doesn't offer the older Iphone as they were built for GSM service and not CDMA. If you want Verizon and want an Iphone this Sony phone costs the same amount. At that point it turns into do you prefer Iphone or Android OS. I owned an Iphone for a couple years and now having an Android for almost a year I can say I love the Iphone but I think Android is much better. I think there are a lot of people that would be interested in picking this over Iphone especially if they cost the same.

Stop being a fanboy. Comparing a phone to a gaming machine is stupid.

Paying $100-200 for smartphone w/ contract is common. Also NGP isnt a phone so it wont even cost as much as an unlocked Xperia Play will....ever.

Wifi version(NGP) is stated to release at $300-$350.

Meh approximately 1 to 5 percent of verizon customers will choose this over an iphone 4 16gb for $200.

The 4G enabled thunderbolt which is the new hottest shit right now is $250. This thing has no chance.

If i sound like i'm upset it's because I wish there was a good, competitive smartphone that had reasonable gaming controls, not pure touch. This is not that device, not yet anyway.

Looking at the verizon phones page it looks like they average from free (likely crappy) to $300. That puts this thing on the higher end.

lmao. yes people would pay that. By your argument, people shouldn't buy the iPhone 4 because the iPhone 3 is $50 and the 4 is $200... Oh wait, millions of people own the iPhone 4? Hmm...

I'm very interested in this phone. I love android os plus it's going to have full adobe flash. On top of that netflix is comming to android this year. As a smart phone alone it will be great.

this says it better than i can
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2195...hases_wont_transfer_to_xperia_play_phone.html

If you have a large PSN game library, you probably have your eyes trained further out on Sony's PlayStation Portable successor (codename NGP). The Xperia Play looks more like an attempt to pick up the Android phone loyal who bypassed the PSP and PSPgo for phone that plays games, but who aren't really hardcore gamers.

if they made the phone for hard core gamers, they wouldn't sell nearly as many.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Not really. Many smartphones have been $100 when signing up with the same plan or free after rebate. $200 for a phone + signing up for a 2 year plan + $30 a month for data is WAY too much money for a PHONE.

I love Sony, but this phone is destined to fail. It is ugly (one of the worst looking phone I have seen), doesn't work with PSN, and is too expensive. Sorry Sony, you lose this round.[/QUOTE]

You clearly have no clue about the smartphone market. Most smartphones start at $200 with a contract when first released. This phone is pretty legit having Android 2.3 as it's OS, the controller part would be pretty awesome to play emulators like snesdroid, psxdroid etc.

I can't imagine many adults buying a phone that has a video game controller on it. I don't think a smartphone that isn't first a phone will ever be that successful.

[quote name='caltab']I can't imagine many adults buying a phone that has a video game controller on it. I don't think a smartphone that isn't first a phone will ever be that successful.[/QUOTE]

the key is the controller is hidden. I have a D1 (droid 1 or OG droid, sorry, too much time on droid forums) and i hardly even slide out they physical keyboard. i could see this phone working very similarly. touch screen android "adult" phone most of the time. but capable to have some fun on the bus, in the airport, on a plane, etc. lots of "adult" gamers out there...and they have more money to blow on (relatively) needless tech. (can you tell i'm considering this phone?..haha)

[quote name='thesuzukimethod'] lots of "adult" gamers out there...and they have more money to blow on(relatively) needless tech. (can you tell i'm considering this phone?..haha)[/QUOTE]

Sure there are are plenty of adults that play games, but I still don't see many of them getting excited at the prospect of wiping out their video game phone, especially if they are a professional. I guess it helps that the controller is hidden, so more subtle then the infamous ngage. I still think the primary demographic for this is pretty limited to something like males who are 12-15. I think playstation will be far better served by bringing mobile psn to multiple os's and profit of game sales. I think they might already be planning on doing that though.

So I guess not only are msrp collectors editions now deals, but it seems msrp cell phones are now deals also.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']How is this a deal?[/QUOTE]

I understand the occasional repost of deals and even collectors editions are usually limited but seriously a MSRP phone? Seriously? This is more of a lazy blog post then anything that should be on CAG.

forget this, it's just a freaking thunderbolt/droid x/ Evo with a controller on it, get a psp if you want to play games, it will likely play them more smooth and one can be had for 100.... Anyone remember the ngage? Same thing here.

[quote name='Darknuke']why are you guys all hating on this phone so much? Ignore the fact that it doesn't sync with PSN... It has an effin Gamepad! You can play ALL 50,000 of those android games with it that you all wished you had a gamepad for before, not to mention all the emulators that are on Android!

And $200 is very fair for this device. It is superior to all of its predecessors technically and again, it has a gamepad.

This phone will not fail. At the very least, it is a gamers android phone. Quit hating so much on Sony just because of one minor thing...

Oh and as far as pricing goes on data... It's NO different than any other smartphone on the market, so you can't say it's not worth it because of that (go back to your flip phones you cavemen)[/QUOTE]Your wrong on that part, the gamepad only works with Android games that have been updated for it or were specifically made with it in mind. Otherwise you'll be using the touchscreen my friend. I watched a review that explained it.

And I don't know about the emulators either, unless they are updated or have a button mapping feature.

Yet another doomed Sony experiment. I'll wait to see if they come out with a better spec'd machine with the ability to tie to PS Store purchases in future iterations...although, I imagine the reason behind not doing so currently is to provide a further incentive to the cellular carriers since they likely get a cut from game downloads. Wouldn't surprise me if the same PSN games were priced more through this because of that.

[quote name='dmdragon']forget this, it's just a freaking thunderbolt/droid x/ Evo with a controller on it, get a psp if you want to play games, it will likely play them more smooth and one can be had for 100.... Anyone remember the ngage? Same thing here.[/QUOTE]

Thing about NGage...it was a POS. This(Xperia play) is actually a great(as in up to date) Android smartphone. Has a touchscreen plus the buttons for gaming. NGage had non of those things.

Also the Xperia play is getting the new market place from Sony. Forgot what it's called but it will be compatible with Xperia play, NGP and PS3 along with other PS certified devices such as that Sony S1 or something Pad. Thing is, is is not the failure some of you are making it out.

Btw since this is a phone, the price will lower as time goes on. I think there may be more phones like it too so support will be there for sometime.

Monthly fees, especially voice, for all smartphones are a RIP OFF.

What if you hardly use them for voice? Still gotta pay $40 a month just for that. Then add data charges.

Madness!!

Android is already on prepaid phones and I don't understand why Windows Phone 7 is not available prepaid to compete.

well the simple facts are this

1) its a ripoff
2) i cant play any games on it that I already own
3) DS and 3ds and NGP and PSP are far better gaming choices

what advantage does the cellphone give you? multiplayer anywhere? hardly worth a couple hundred dollar phone + games + 70$ a month service.

This thing is going to fail as hard as the ngage.

bread's done
Back