Playstation phone FREE w/2yr contract plus $20 credit @ BB 9/8-9/20 Online only

Enuf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Found this on the BB RZ page under "offers & promotions";

1000 Bonus Points ($20 in Reward Certificates)
For a limited time, get the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY mobile phone for free -- plus receive 1000 Reward Zone® program bonus points -- with a new or upgraded 24-month agreement.
This phone has it all. PlayStation gaming controls. Android operating system. Bluetooth capabilities. Touch screen display. Front- and rear-mount digital cameras. And more.

Through September 20, and as a Reward Zone member, the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY mobile phone can be yours for free (reg. price $99.99) with a new or upgraded 24-month agreement and activation through Best Buy Mobile Solutions. Plus, you'll receive an additional 500 bonus points.

Combined with the everyday Reward Zone promotion offering 500 bonus points on any mobile phone with a new or upgraded 24-month agreement, you'll receive a total of 1000 bonus points for choosing this feature-rich phone right now.

Valid September 8-20, and online only. You must log in to RewardZoneMobile.com to take advantage of this special offer. Buy now.

It's available thru Verizon 5/26 it's out now review link:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/117/1171313p1.html

Will come preloaded with seven games, including: Madden NFL 11 (EA Sports), Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior (Digital Legends), Asphalt 6: Adrenaline (Gameloft), The Sims 3 (EA), Star Battalion (Gameloft), Crash Bandicoot (Sony PlayStation), and Tetris (EA). A total of 50 games will be available for download at launch.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6314172.html?tag=newsticker;headline;2

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check out Blunty's Youtube Review:

Part 1

Part 2.

Part 1 = Gaming review
Part 2 = Phone side of things.

IGN is known to be very lacking and biased towards Sony products. So I'd ignore what they have to say.

[quote name='TheNeck']I'm so tempted to get this phone as my 1st smartphone, i know im behind the times. :( just never really wanted a smartphone till this phone came out.

Also amazon wireless has this phone for $99.99 with a 2 year contract, man im so tempted to get it.

http://wireless.amazon.com/Sony-Eri...sh_br_ph_1?ie=UTF8&transaction=INDIVIDUAL_NEW[/QUOTE]

I'll wait on buying this phone until Mr. Hotz unlocks it. Oh wait...

How fortunate for Sony.

On-topic: Never owned a cellphone aside from a pre-paid, might jump on the PSPhone 2.0, so I'm going to wait for this one to crash and burn first and hope Sony learns from their mistakes here.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']
On-topic: Never owned a cellphone aside from a pre-paid, might jump on the PSPhone 2.0, so I'm going to wait for this one to crash and burn first and hope Sony learns from their mistakes here.[/QUOTE]

What mistakes are those? Why do you predict this one will be unsuccessful?

[quote name='eastx']What mistakes are those? Why do you predict this one will be unsuccessful?[/QUOTE]

For the most part, I agree with what Engadget said about it, and I don't think it'll catch on with the general public, or at least not as much as Sony's hoping. (Kinda like how the PSP originally fared, but I'm not going to completely open that can of worms).

Part of this lies in the fact that I think data plans and all that nonsense is terribly overpriced, and these 2-year contracts irk me. It's hard to believe sometimes with all the people who have 'em, but I know there are some people out there who agree with me.

One specific mistake I will mention is that if you make people have to double-dip for PSClassics on both their PS3 and PSPhone, chances are they'll pick the PS3 version.

Strong PSClassics launch library or not, having to rebuy the SAME exact product in a variety of different media is an annoyance/wallet-eater.

Edit: Staying away from that original $200 pricepoint for the phone, might help the PSPhone's sales but I'm not sure if Sony themselves will learn this before a PSPhone 2.0 comes around.

Also, I'm somewhat expecting bugs/tech problems/eventual improvements, as I do with most new electronic products (like the 3DS).

This kinda makes me think of how I felt about the iPad, actually. Let's hope they don't release a PSPhone 2.0 THAT soon.

I think I'm done fiddling with my choice of words. Trying to present an argument as best I can so there's as little misinterpretation as possible. That, and I don't want to come off as a fanboy/Sonyhaterbecausethey'reSony.

I'll also go on to say I originally was skeptical/had very little faith in the NGP, though that was mostly because of Nintendo's competition/Sony's PROBABLE pricepoint. I've gained a little faith in the product due to pricepoint not being as bad as I imagined, but the tech has been scaled back some as a result, canceling that out imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Japakneez']I worked with it for a while and I can't recommend it. Poor construction and materials.[/QUOTE]
Really that sucks, what exactly about the poor construction and materials?

I messed with it today it felt cheap and my G2X that I took back for rebooting issue felt like it ran better. Don't think I will be going back to another single core phone. A friend of mine got it but thinks he'll be taking it back on the 13th day to return it.

Now if it linked up to my PSN and I could play the games I all ready had then I might have got this as my secondary phone.

[quote name='dgwillia006']I heard the Xperia can only play games through V-Cast. If that means no Android Marketplace apps, thats gonna be an insta-pass for me

[quote name='eastx']That's not the case. You can only buy PSOne games through a separate place (V-Cast, I think) than the regular Android Marketplace though.[/QUOTE]

Oh, thanks for the verification. Havent had a chance to check it out instore yet, and i havent seen much varying info on the subject.

Either way, the Plan itself seems to kill the incentives of buying it for me

[quote name='dgwillia006']Oh, thanks for the verification. Havent had a chance to check it out instore yet, and i havent seen much varying info on the subject.

Either way, the Plan itself seems to kill the incentives of buying it for me

Oh, i hadnt realized Verizon finally got a Window's Phone. I'll have to look into that, thanks.

I just want to upgrade to something soon so i can lock in my current plan though. (I heard Verizon was going tiered soon

Well I for one absolutely love this phone. You can hate all you want, but I'll be playing Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, and Mario Kart 64 with perfect control and accuracy. Zenonia and Zenonia 2 for 99 cents each are both a tremendous buy. Got this for 100 bucks off of amazon...and I'm absolutely thrilled with the phone. As of right now I have more games on this phone than any device I own, all without having to root it.

Oh, and Asphalt 6 with proper controls is also kick ass. As is Star Batallion, but I digress...

Edit: I'll go as far as to say every smartphone I get in the future needs a control pad like this one. It's just...it changes the way you perceive phone games. It's not the most powerful device out there, but it's just a complete blast to finally play things on your phone properly instead of with shitty touch control.

[quote name='Kirios86']Well I for one absolutely love this phone. You can hate all you want, but I'll be playing Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, and Mario Kart 64 with perfect control and accuracy. Zenonia and Zenonia 2 for 99 cents each are both a tremendous buy. Got this for 100 bucks off of amazon...and I'm absolutely thrilled with the phone. As of right now I have more games on this phone than any device I own, all without having to root it.

Oh, and Asphalt 6 with proper controls is also kick ass. As is Star Batallion, but I digress...

Edit: I'll go as far as to say every smartphone I get in the future needs a control pad like this one. It's just...it changes the way you perceive phone games. It's not the most powerful device out there, but it's just a complete blast to finally play things on your phone properly instead of with shitty touch control.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the control pad being nice (I really don't play any phone games, but the controls are part of why I don't) but I don't think it makes up for the shortcomings of the phone which'll hopefully be better corrected in the next version. The plan might still cost an arm and a leg, though and they could at least sync it to PSN for that kind of price.

Yeah i would wait for the next revision if they do one. The construction of this phone is just not good enough as a few here have already noticed. Even if this phone had PSN and linked store purchases I don't think its enough. The CPU+GPU inside isn't that bad for today but i think we are in such a growth spurt that we need to wait until things settles a bit more.

Phone technology is moving so fast its mind-boggling. By the end of the year we should have quad-core android devices. This kinda hardware excites developers. Game quality is really going to take off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBvaDtshLY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPN3hHI9y-E

Ive watched 5-6 good reviews and it seems like the gaming aspect of the phone is incredibly good. The control pad is near perfect and totally changes the way you play mobile games.

As for the phone aspect, all the reviews are kind to it. Its average across the board but that doesnt mean bad. I heard it performs well, has a nice weight and feel to it as its a bit thicker. Visually it looks nice on the back. Has a front facing camera which is nice as the other Xperia phones didnt.

For $99 I cant see how so many are bashing this phone. It seems to be priced appropriately with the specs it has. Its not dual core but it has a nice graphics card and its fast enough to probably play any game you throw at it.

The controller and potential games library are what is supposed to get you past the average specs. I havent messed with it yet but I think it would.

I still have the old unlimited VErizon plan. If I upgrade I need to know if I can get that old unlimited data planned grandfathered in. If so it makes this option even better.

As a prepaid phone user, you are biased on this phone. If anything, you should criticize all smartphones equally. Second, this is not a "PSPhone" or what you would call a psp with phone capabilities. This is a "PS certified" phone with gaming controls aimed at gamers.

Second, this phone functions properly as an Android smartphone. That's what everyone wants to know since itll be it's main use. Based on that, you should decide if it's worth it or not since it's gaming capabilities are better than most smartphone so nothing to worry about in this aspect.

Also there will be future smartphones that are "ps certified" like this one so theres a good chance if you still interested in a phone like this one but want more ram/faster speeds/more cores etc , you'll find one eventually. Sony isn't really the ones everyone should be concerned about. It's SonyEricson that handles these phones.

Edit: also don't read too nuch into NGP rumors. Hardware hasn't been scaled back first of all, second how was it scaled back when we never got official hardware specs? Rumor had it ram or something was cut in half? Guess what? They've had Uncharted running for a few months on it and you believe they will now cut ram and screw all the Devs that have worked on projects for 1+ years now? No. More believable rumor would be that at the start, ram was cut in half. Yet even with that, a portable version of uncharted is still impressive?? Btw that game still beats anything that the 3DS can output and for you to be suddenly disappointed doesn't makes sense. The NGP will be a portal beast and even though it's not something that Sony would do(although impressive, it's not ultra techwise like old Sony) due to them wanting to release a cheaper product to a wider audience. This is not a negative thing at all.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']For the most part, I agree with what Engadget said about it, and I don't think it'll catch on with the general public, or at least not as much as Sony's hoping. (Kinda like how the PSP originally fared, but I'm not going to completely open that can of worms).

Part of this lies in the fact that I think data plans and all that nonsense is terribly overpriced, and these 2-year contracts irk me. It's hard to believe sometimes with all the people who have 'em, but I know there are some people out there who agree with me.

One specific mistake I will mention is that if you make people have to double-dip for PSClassics on both their PS3 and PSPhone, chances are they'll pick the PS3 version.

Strong PSClassics launch library or not, having to rebuy the SAME exact product in a variety of different media is an annoyance/wallet-eater.

Edit: Staying away from that original $200 pricepoint for the phone, might help the PSPhone's sales but I'm not sure if Sony themselves will learn this before a PSPhone 2.0 comes around.

Also, I'm somewhat expecting bugs/tech problems/eventual improvements, as I do with most new electronic products (like the 3DS).

This kinda makes me think of how I felt about the iPad, actually. Let's hope they don't release a PSPhone 2.0 THAT soon.

I think I'm done fiddling with my choice of words. Trying to present an argument as best I can so there's as little misinterpretation as possible. That, and I don't want to come off as a fanboy/Sonyhaterbecausethey'reSony.

I'll also go on to say I originally was skeptical/had very little faith in the NGP, though that was mostly because of Nintendo's competition/Sony's PROBABLE pricepoint. I've gained a little faith in the product due to pricepoint not being as bad as I imagined, but the tech has been scaled back some as a result, canceling that out imo.[/QUOTE]

I personally now own an Xperia Play and most of you have no idea what you are talking about. First off, this is the FIRST 2.3 Android phone on Verizon and it is vanilla Android, meaning it has no retarded UI added by the manufacturer on top of it. This is without a doubt better than the iPhone in every way as well as most phones available. The gamepad is implemented perfectly and it absolutely makes the various emulators of which I have all of them work perfectly. Every single emulator can map the buttons to the gamepad so it kicks the crap out of every other phone for emulators. Which is exactly why I purchased this phone. It is a full featured Android 2.3 phone with a perfect gamepad for new games as well as emulators. Hate all you want, this phone is better than YOURS...

[quote name='darknight88']As a prepaid phone user, you are biased on this phone. If anything, you should criticize all smartphones equally. Second, this is not a "PSPhone" or what you would call a psp with phone capabilities. This is a "PS certified" phone with gaming controls aimed at gamers.

Second, this phone functions properly as an Android smartphone. That's what everyone wants to know since itll be it's main use. Based on that, you should decide if it's worth it or not since it's gaming capabilities are better than most smartphone so nothing to worry about in this aspect.

Also there will be future smartphones that are "ps certified" like this one so theres a good chance if you still interested in a phone like this one but want more ram/faster speeds/more cores etc , you'll find one eventually. Sony isn't really the ones everyone should be concerned about. It's SonyEricson that handles these phones.
[/QUOTE]

All very true. Somebody who doesn't get smartphones (which are hugely popular) can't accurately predict doom and gloom for a pretty good one.

sorry I didnt go through the whole thread but I came across this because I have been looking into this since my Iphones ATT contract is up I think this month or next month Im not sure but I think its time for a new phone.

http://www.techsaver.com/2011/05/sony_ericsson_xperia_play_smar.php

Anyway its 149.99 it says in that article but I tried adding it to the cart it came out to 99$ which I think is pretty cool and that might just put this phone on a to buy list for me. I just thought I'd share.

Wow $99 on Amazaon Wireless.. Thats 1/2 off!!!
But the $39.99 plan + $29.99 + $16.90 (taxes) = $86.88/month

My Verizon taxes = Fed Universal Service Charge $2.21 + Regulatory Charge .14 + Administrative Charge $1.84 + CA State PUC Fee .07 + CA State 911 Fee .22 + CA State High Cost Fund .19 + CA Teleconnect Fund Surchg .03 + CA State High Cost Fund (A) .05 + Lifeline Surcharge CA .47 + CA Relay Srvc/Comm Device Fund .08 + SF Cnty 911 Fee $5.50 + SF City/Cnty Uut $6.10

Surprised they havent moved this topic yet.

But either way, i checked at Verizon the other day, it'd only cost me 95$ and tax to upgrade to this. (Or 99.99$ for an Iphone 4, or 44.99 for an HTC Trophy). Now to decide what to do......

[quote name='dgwillia006']Surprised they havent moved this topic yet.

But either way, i checked at Verizon the other day, it'd only cost me 95$ and tax to upgrade to this. (Or 99.99$ for an Iphone 4, or 44.99 for an HTC Trophy). Now to decide what to do......[/QUOTE]

Im waiting to get my deposit back from my old apt but then im gonna go in and test this sucka out!!!

[quote name='caltab']Sure there are are plenty of adults that play games, but I still don't see many of them getting excited at the prospect of wiping out their video game phone, especially if they are a professional. I guess it helps that the controller is hidden, so more subtle then the infamous ngage. I still think the primary demographic for this is pretty limited to something like males who are 12-15. I think playstation will be far better served by bringing mobile psn to multiple os's and profit of game sales. I think they might already be planning on doing that though.[/QUOTE]
sony can't even handle the psn on 1 OS that they made, much less outsource it for different OS' & keep it secure. it's just a bad time for this phone's release. they should have delayed it 6 months & implemented psn on just android for now, and see how it goes.

[quote name='twztid13']sony can't even handle the psn on 1 OS that they made, much less outsource it for different OS' & keep it secure. it's just a bad time for this phone's release. they should have delayed it 6 months & implemented psn on just android for now, and see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

*sigh*

Why do you assume PSN is unsecured? It gets hacked once and everyone thinks that it's been done like 100 times during the last 3-4 years. Yes this recent even is bad but going forward I believe Sony will improve it's network better and PSN will improve as a whole. It sucks to get hacked but nothing is 100% safe out there. There was a recent FBI affiliate site hacked recently. What you gonna look down upon the FbI now? Lol

Now Xperia Play will get a new service from Sony later this year. I keep forgetting the name. Anyways with it, you'll be able to download your psn ps1 games from it to you XP so in a sense, PSN support is coming to XP.

Lastly Sony's goal as seen from certain conferences, is that they want PSN implemented into multiple devices such as phones, tablets, tvs, mp3 devices etc. With the launch of these "ps certified" devices I think that's coming to fruition. I'm sure by the time the Sony S1 tablet/Pad , it will have similar gaming stuff as Xperia Play and that new Sony platform. We'll see though.

But either way, i checked at Verizon the other day, it'd only cost me 95$ and tax to upgrade to this. (Or 99.99$ for an Iphone 4, or 44.99 for an HTC Trophy). Now to decide what to do......[/QUOTE]

My phone is not working and need to upgrade. I luckily am at the 20 month mark or w.e but even counting it as an 'upgrade' the Trophy is $150... I wish I were you...

Apparently there really aren't that many games offered on it and the ones on it now aren't great. If you just want to play Playstation games then get a PSP or the new NGP coming out, don't get this PoS device.

Trust me mate, I'd go for the iPhone 4, at 99.99$ that's a hell of a deal. Or perhaps wait for the iPhone 5? I'm guessing that one would cost just a little more.

Iron the real point here is A. Its a decent Android Phone first ... but B. it has a controller. Iphone has more games but to me and alot of others that controller turns this into the only real comfortable gaming phone.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']I'll wait on buying this phone until Mr. Hotz unlocks it. Oh wait...

How fortunate for Sony.

On-topic: Never owned a cellphone aside from a pre-paid, might jump on the PSPhone 2.0, so I'm going to wait for this one to crash and burn first and hope Sony learns from their mistakes here.[/QUOTE]

He doesn't need to unlock it, it will be rooted in no time. This is android, not sony hardware. No need to unlock anything other than the android os which is usually fairly easy.

Be warned. EA is known for releasing games full of bugs and never fixes or updates them. Sims 3 crashes so much that you have to save after everything you do

The OP should be more explicit that this is Verizon only, since AT&T is getting this phone for $49.99 with contract on Sunday as well.

It would take a whole lot to move me away from my current $25/mo for call/text/data from Virgin Mobile.

[quote name='JSiggy']nope.

this phone has fail written all over it. it won't link up to PSN, so any PS1 game you want, you will have to buy again.[/QUOTE]

Yup (only read first page) unless the change this THAT is the biggest fail for this thing. Is a "Playstation" phone, but is not linked to your PSN account?

[quote name='Hirata']It would take a whole lot to move me away from my current $25/mo for call/text/data from Virgin Mobile.[/QUOTE]

+1

Btw...don't buy the Motorola Triumph. It's a POS.

Does anyone know the cheapest plan to get with this deal? Like I'm trying to keep my Verizon 450 minutes at $40. But it says I have to choose a data plan, starting at $30 - so total of $70. I don't wanna pay that much... might not have a choice though.

bread's done
Back