PlayStation Plus - 3 Months for $18/1 Year for $50 - 8/24: New Games for September

[quote name='J7.']I'm sure everyone will be charging for online play eventually, except PC. MS showed that it's a way to make a lot of money and that people will pay for it so everyone is going to do it at some point. If not next gen, then the one after.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I just read an article on Destructoid that FFIV won't be coming to xbox because to play online you must pay the $50. Who wants to pay a fee for nothing (XBL) and also pay a fee for a subscription to play a game too?

[quote name='jh6269']I don't know, I just read an article on Destructoid that FFIV won't be coming to xbox because to play online you must pay the $50. Who wants to pay a fee for nothing (XBL) and also pay a fee for a subscription to play a game too?[/QUOTE]

It's more related to their network being 'closed' and restricted to developers, not really to users having to pay the Live gold fee

[quote name='jh6269']I don't know, I just read an article on Destructoid that FFIV won't be coming to xbox because to play online you must pay the $50. Who wants to pay a fee for nothing (XBL) and also pay a fee for a subscription to play a game too?[/QUOTE]

You mean FFXIV? I call bs on that article then. FFXI is the same way but on the Xbox. MS would probably just waive the gold requirement like they do on that to just add another game to their library and get a percentage of the fee from SE or something.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, but if you already have gold you'd still be paying extra for it. I doubt microsoft will make it so gold members simply play it for free.

But concerning PS3 HDD, with how cheap they are it's really worth upgrading.

[quote name='KingBroly']Someone is going to have to really explain the whole 'download a full game to play an hour of it' thing to me. Are they really expecting us to download 3-40gb of data to play an hour? And if they are (seriously?) why don't they just put full PS3 games on PSN for download?[/QUOTE]

THIS. A freakin' HOUR of play?? I swear that's just hilarious. A lot of recent demos can be played for several hours if they're good, and they aren't nearly as big to D/L. Even with my cable broadband, a full game release would probably take at least a couple hours. Not to mention cluttering up my HD, which I haven't upgraded (yet).

As for the rest of the perks of this service, I'm one of the lucky ones who stand to benefit the most, because I am a new PS3 owner and have a fairly small library, and I haven't bought anything from PSN yet. I will very likely subscribe to take advantage of the extra 3 months, and I look forward to playing Wipeout and Zen pinball both. I will probably also buy Super Stardust when it goes on sale, because the demo is pretty fun, and very nice to look at.

I also want to say that just from some of the screenshots posted, at least a few of the PSN minis look kinda fun, even if just for a half hour at a time, which is sometimes all I the gaming time I have.

So yes, I think this service will be worth the money, at least for the first year +3 mos.

[quote name='teknikalei']THIS. A freakin' HOUR of play?? I swear that's just hilarious. A lot of recent demos can be played for several hours if they're good, and they aren't nearly as big to D/L. Even with my cable broadband, a full game release would probably take at least a couple hours. Not to mention cluttering up my HD, which I haven't upgraded (yet).

As for the rest of the perks of this service, I'm one of the lucky ones who stand to benefit the most, because I am a new PS3 owner and have a fairly small library, and I haven't bought anything from PSN yet. I will very likely subscribe to take advantage of the extra 3 months, and I look forward to playing Wipeout and Zen pinball both. I will probably also buy Super Stardust when it goes on sale, because the demo is pretty fun, and very nice to look at.

I also want to say that just from some of the screenshots posted, at least a few of the PSN minis look kinda fun, even if just for a half hour at a time, which is sometimes all I the gaming time I have.

So yes, I think this service will be worth the money, at least for the first year +3 mos.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for Age of Zombies, it's a fun shooter game, but most important, it's hilarious

[quote name='Mikocouch']Any word on what the US gets on psn plus yet? Doesn't it come out tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

SCEA is pretty stupid for not posting a list well in advance like SCEE did. They can't just drop it tomorrow and expect everyone to know about it.

[quote name='teknikalei']THIS. A freakin' HOUR of play?? I swear that's just hilarious. A lot of recent demos can be played for several hours if they're good, and they aren't nearly as big to D/L.[/QUOTE]
A demo is the developer-made slice of the game that may or may not be representative of the final product, so playing the first hour gives you more than enough time to judge the game on its merits.

I own three of the first four PSP Minis on there (Age of Zombies, Blast Off, and Alien Zombie Death) and they're great games that anybody that has access to them should check out.
[quote name='erequena']It's more related to their network being 'closed' and restricted to developers, not really to users having to pay the Live gold fee[/QUOTE]
It's probably more about MS not wanting Silvers to have access to an online game without paying for Live.
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Who the hell is gonna download a full 30-40gb game though? It's one thing to download maybe 1-2gb's but a full game? Unless you're one of the PS3 owners who upgraded your HDD to a 500gb or bigger sized ones, you're going to be wasting ALOT of space on downloaded games.[/QUOTE]
An example of the games currently available on Blu-ray and PSN:
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 1.78 GB
Warhawk - 800 MB
SOCOM Confrontation - 2.65 GB
Burnout Paradise - 3.24 GB
NFL Head Coach 09 - 4.84 GB

I probably would have given the plus a try for 15 months but since my first ps3 died after about 17 months i am not buying as much and sony has left a bad taste in my mouth yet again.

[quote name='Thongsy']You mean FFXIV? I call bs on that article then. FFXI is the same way but on the Xbox. MS would probably just waive the gold requirement like they do on that to just add another game to their library and get a percentage of the fee from SE or something.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I meant FF XIV, sorry.

http://www.destructoid.com/no-final-fantasy-xiv-on-the-closed-xbox-360-177520.phtml

There's the article, they're saying that it's closed, I assumed it meant that it was talking about the user experience and that it meant silver members wouldn't be able to play.

Maybe they mean that people playing on PC would be able to interact with people on PSN?

If you update your firmware now, the PlayStation Plus part of the store is already up now with subscription options and the available content as a teaser for non-subscribers. It doesn't seem like this is the full offering, so it could have more to download when the update happens tomorrow.

Subscription Options
3 Month Package - $17.99
1 Year Package (Plus 3 Bonus Months) - $49.99

Deals
Fat Princess - Fat Roles Expansion - $3.99
Rampage - $2.50
Mortal Kombat II - $2.50
Gauntlet II - $2.50
Rampart - $2.50
Cuboid - $7.99
Hamster Ball - $7.99
Interpol: The Trail of Dr. Chaos - $7.99
Magic Orbz - $7.99
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom - $7.99
Smash Cars - $11.99
Wakeboarding HD - $11.99

Games
Rally Cross (PS3/PSP) - 103 MB
Age of Zombies (PS3/PSP) - 21 MB
Infamous (PS3) - 6.88 GB - Free Trial - $29.99 to purchase
Wipeout HD (PS3) - 1.04 GB

Add-ons
Warhawk - Fallen Star Pack
Cuboid - Booster Pack
Cuboid - Bundle Pack
Cuboid - Level Editor
Magic Orbz - Booster Pack
Magic Orbz - Jungle Pack
Magic Orbz - Winter Pack
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom - Booster Pack
Smash Cars - Virus Run

Themes
Collision

Fat Princess (2)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xilly']You forgot to mention that inFamous is up as a full digital download for $29.99 and is 6.8 gb.[/QUOTE]

6.8GB isn't bad really. If they can keep it around that, I'd considering DL'n some games rather than buying them. I don't like that it's full price though, they need to lower it compared to the disc version.

Not sure, but the details in the PS Store mentions that it auto-renews when the first sub term is over. So you'll want to remember to manually cancel it if you don't want to renew.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Not sure, but the details in the PS Store mentions that it auto-renews when the first sub term is over. So you'll want to remember to manually cancel it if you don't want to renew.[/QUOTE]
There's an option in Account Management to turn off the auto-renew, it was the first thing I did after buying the membership.

Is Rampage updated at all, or is it identical to the older version? Q*bert was redone, but Joust was not. Kind of wondering about this one.

[quote name='lokizz']well i joined up but i havent looked around through it yet. that big plus they put next to your name is gay.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's pretty awful looking.

I doubt it'll be shareable as you have to use the master account on that system to purchase it

"You need to be the master account holder on the PS3 and be over 18 to purchase PlayStation Plus, but other accounts on that PS3 will be able to play the games you download for as long as you are a subscriber.

Once the PlayStation Plus membership has been purchased, it can not be transferred to any other account."

Wipeout HD -is- available, I downloaded it first.

Speaking of sharing, I've already had 3 people in my list ask me if we could try sharing PSN+, friggin freeloaders.

Logged into an alt account and Wipeout HD finally showed up. If it's because I already own it, then that wouldn't explain why Age of Zombies and the Warhawk DLC were still there.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Logged into an alt account and Wipeout HD finally showed up. If it's because I already own it, then that wouldn't explain why Age of Zombies and the Warhawk DLC were still there.[/QUOTE]

I did notice that once I downloaded it, it and only it, disappeared from the store. The rest of the stuff I downloaded was still there though. Maybe the PSN games and not the Minis and PSOne games won't show up under + if you already have them?

Oh yeah, that big, fat "Plus" by my avatar...that's some ugly ghey shit right there. No Gold Star?

Watch them charge us extra to put something cooler there intead. :)

[quote name='gunm']Oh yeah, that big, fat "Plus" by my avatar...that's some ugly ghey shit right there. No Gold Star?

Watch them charge us extra to put something cooler there intead. :)[/QUOTE]

they should have made it a middle finger lol. im dling wipeout now and picked up the free theme and the magic orbs dlc as well as the minis.

[quote name='ArJay2k8']Wipeout HD -is- available, I downloaded it first.

Speaking of sharing, I've already had 3 people in my list ask me if we could try sharing PSN+, friggin freeloaders.[/QUOTE]

Well did you let one of them try? Forget about the freeloaders, think of the people with multiple systems because they love PS3 so much they need one in the john!

[quote name='gunm']Oh yeah, that big, fat "Plus" by my avatar...that's some ugly ghey shit right there. No Gold Star?

Watch them charge us extra to put something cooler there intead. :)[/QUOTE]

They should let you pick a second avatar to replace the plus with, maybe with a selectable color glow around it. Like if Xhibit showed up and heard that you liked avatar images, dawg.

From what I've read on GAF, PSN+ itself is not shareable since it shows up as a service and not a download. I doubt the free games would work in this case since you need PSN+ to use them, dunno if this applies to the free DLC which you keep permanently.

Also, does anybody know when this 3 bonus month "limited time offer" expires exactly?

[quote name='distgfx']From what I've read on GAF, PSN+ itself is not shareable since it shows up as a service and not a download. I doubt the free games would work in this case since you need PSN+ to use them, dunno if this applies to the free DLC which you keep permanently.

Also, does anybody know when this 3 bonus month "limited time offer" expires exactly?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing also

As usual my response on the Sony Blog post for this update has magically disappeared before it was even posted. LMAO

Lovely. Keep up the good work of censoring those of us who just want our GAME machines unclogged and able to play GAMES.

But as was said before, this is neither the time nor the place for this. I gotta save up some scratch to grab a plane ticket to Japan, so I can kick the CEO of Sony squarely in the sack for this bullshit.

It won't accept my debit card for some reason. I keep getting the error code 80023102. It's pissing me off because I'm hoping this isn't a prolonged problem. I really want to get those 3 free months.

Apologies if this has been asked, I was going to ask on the deals page thread but it has gone to hell rather quickly.

My understanding is that the free game stuff is not yours to keep after the subscription lapses, but does this go for the DLC? If they offer up free DLC each month, this is beginning to look justifiable to me.

Well, some CAGer in Training posted this membership on the deals section. No surprise. It's a fanboy and "not a deal" firestorm on that thread.

I think the deal is that you get 3 free months on top of the annual subscription. Just hoping that PSN cards or even membership card when available goes on sale.

The only bad thing I can see about having the Plus next to your avatar is you'll have a shitload of people asking if they can share it with you, because people probably think it is possible.

[quote name='yokofox33']It won't accept my debit card for some reason. I keep getting the error code 80023102. It's pissing me off because I'm hoping this isn't a prolonged problem. I really want to get those 3 free months.[/QUOTE]

You could just get a $50 PSN card and use that.

[quote name='KingBroly']You could just get a $50 PSN card and use that.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm in an area that doesn't have US PSN cards. Nor am I in a position to have them sent to me quickly through an online store. Debit card is about my only option right now.

So are we 100% sure that the free game DLC is DLC to own? I haven't seen that anywhere just that "if you pay the discounted price for a game, it is yours to own".

Also are we expecting the free three month trial to come up with the PSN update today or was that just misconstrued from the E3 press conference and the three free months is three free months... if you buy 12 months worth of the service.

[quote name='yokofox33']Well, I'm in an area that doesn't have US PSN cards. Nor am I in a position to have them sent to me quickly through an online store. Debit card is about my only option right now.[/QUOTE]

Amazon sends digital codes for PSN credit, no?

bread's done
Back