Banned
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071NH8B8/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_vg_lyfzzt

Includes:

PS Vita w/ Wifi + 3G
8GB Memory Card
Dataconnect session pass
1 Playstation Network game

Hello,

We'd like to provide an update for customers who have pre-ordered the "PlayStation Vita 3G/WiFi" handheld console. All customers who pre-order this item before its February 22, 2012 release date will be automatically upgraded to the "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" at no additional charge. The "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" will include an 8GB Memory Card, AT&T DataConnect Session Pass, and Free PlayStation Network Game. More details can be found in this item's product description section here: PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle

This upgrade will be extended to all existing "PlayStation Vita 3G/WiFi" pre-orders. Please note that due to limited quantities, we can't guarantee the availability of "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" after the pre-order window has ended.

We appreciate your business and hope you enjoy your new handheld console.

- Amazon Video Game Editors

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but this whole PS Vita is one GIANT clusterphuck, high priced mandatory proprietiery memory cards. :booty:

The 3G is shit cause it's poorly implemented and Sony and the retailers have figured it out so they discount the bastard child instead of the one everyone will get. Seriously the Vita has fail written all over it even before it launches in the US.

[quote name='Rodster']Sorry but this whole PS Vita is one GIANT clusterphuck, high priced mandatory proprietiery memory cards. :booty:

The 3G is shit cause it's poorly implemented and Sony and the retailers have figured it out so they discount the bastard child instead of the one everyone will get. Seriously the Vita has fail written all over it even before it launches in the US.[/QUOTE]
you mad? all the companies make mistakes, how about the people that was writing off the 3DS when it was doing so poor at release? now is selling like hot cakes, a console wont do shit without good software and it was clear from the get go that sony launch line up was being directed at western territories, who gives a fuck about uncharted in japan? and even tho the console managed to move more than half million sales, just wait until the inevitable monster hunter comes out in japan with better tech overall and you'll see how software moves hardware, people like you are funny, the ones that think they know, but their knowledge has fail written all over it

Is there any easy way to get Amazon to upgrade my wifi to this deal? I've put a ton of credit on there and I don't want any complications at this point.

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']you mad? all the companies make mistakes, how about the people that was writing off the 3DS when it was doing so poor at release? now is selling like hot cakes, a console wont do shit without good software and it was clear from the get go that sony launch line up was being directed at western territories, who gives a fuck about uncharted in japan? and even tho the console managed to move more than half million sales, just wait until the inevitable monster hunter comes out in japan with better tech overall and you'll see how software moves hardware, people like you are funny, the ones that think they know, but their knowledge has fail written all over it[/QUOTE]
Well, when the 3G was announced at Sony's press conferance(along with AT&T partnership) the audienced booed. You don't have to be a mental guru to see this failing. The same way the original no harddrive 360, 20gb PS3, and PSP go where doomed from the start. You can say Nintendo has made many mistakes over the years, but they will never release mutiple systems at launch. It is just confusing, and serves no purpose other than to piss off one group or another. I personally think Vita will do fine, the same way PS3 is doing fine, but things like crap 3G just hurt more than it helps over the long run. One system, with included 2gb card, and EVERYONE can function the same out of the gate, at no additional cost. Simple and efficiant!

[quote name='abhinav']Is there any easy way to get Amazon to upgrade my wifi to this deal? I've put a ton of credit on there and I don't want any complications at this point.[/QUOTE]

It's just the bundle Sony is releasing everywhere, it's nothing amazon is doing. The wifi bundle hasn't changed.

[quote name='caltab']Cool, puts it more in line in terms of value with the other 3G bundle. For 50 bucks more you get a 40 dollar game and 20 dollar case, but a smaller memory card.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, it's actually a $30 game (well on Amazon that is as of right now). Based on the reviews I've read, it's decent at best & replay value isn't there since it's basically a collection of mini-games to show off the capabilities of the Vita.

[quote name='caltab']Whats rdd[/QUOTE]

Release Date Delivery for Amazon customers.

I switched from the wifi version. I was going to purchase the 8 GB anyway. now i'll be able to try at&t's 3g service and get an additional game. now I need amazon to price match uncharted from TRU.

Two questions I'm trying to figure out:

1) Is the GPS feature only in the 3G model, or also the Wifi model?

2) If only in the 3G model, does it require an active AT&T subscription to work? This question is based on the theory that their "GPS" feature may simply be determining your location based on the 3G towers it is connecting to rather than the actual GPS satellites.

From the PR for the new bundle, it sounds like it may be a 3G-only feature:
"While the system is a fantastic option, the addition of 3G-network access is perfect for the gamer that wants convenience, community and connection – basically the ability to immediately socialize with your gaming community. 3G also allows you to engage in multi-player gaming, utilize GPS location-based digital gifting, stay up to date with continuous..."​

I'm getting the 3G version for 2 reasons:

1. Resale value (hopefully its the flavor people will be looking for 3 years from now).
2. If it can be hacked for T-mobile Edge data someday, it may prove to be interesting.

Otherwise, $14.99 for 250mb, and $25 for 2GB? No thanks AT&T. I was hoping more for the $10 to $15 range for 2GB (i know, lol right).

Other than probably being obsolete pretty soon, are there any other negatives to the 3g version? I'm assuming there's a switch to turn it off so it doesn't eat away at the battery, but wouldn't that be the only downside? Like others have mentioned I was thinking of going with the 8GB card anyway so this seems like a good enough deal. Hopefully Best Buy will have this since I planned on using some credit I have saved up.

It seems like I'm probably the only person here who actually LIKES the fact that there's a 3G model.

So yeah, in for one.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Other than probably being obsolete pretty soon, are there any other negatives to the 3g version? I'm assuming there's a switch to turn it off so it doesn't eat away at the battery, but wouldn't that be the only downside? Like others have mentioned I was thinking of going with the 8GB card anyway so this seems like a good enough deal. Hopefully Best Buy will have this since I planned on using some credit I have saved up.[/QUOTE]

There are no downsides. If you don't want to use it, you don't have to.

[quote name='fortunado']I'm getting the 3G version for 2 reasons:

1. Resale value (hopefully its the flavor people will be looking for 3 years from now).
2. If it can be hacked for T-mobile Edge data someday, it may prove to be interesting.

Otherwise, $14.99 for 250mb, and $25 for 2GB? No thanks AT&T. I was hoping more for the $10 to $15 range for 2GB (i know, lol right).[/QUOTE]

Three years from now they will probably have a PS Vita Lite so either way I wouldn't let resale affect your decision. The original PSP wasn't in much demand once the Slim models hit.

[quote name='NedHead']It seems like I'm probably the only person here who actually LIKES the fact that there's a 3G model.

So yeah, in for one.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm with you. I'm interested in having the full Vita experience at the best possible price. For all I know I may not use the 3G service, but I would rather make that choice myself rather than having it made for me with a wifi only model. That's not to say the wifi only model is a bad option, but I want the 3G option if Sony decides to make some changes to the 3G online experience down the road.

Also, 3G isn't a dead technology. It's the standard for wireless bands in most cell phones. It will probably become the "1x" standard in a few years time, but it's alive and kicking. 4G LTE is already on its way out by the way. Wireless providers are already upgrading their network to the newest, faster standard as I type. Welcome to the world of technology!

This post-japanese launch and pre-U.S. launch reaction is just making me even more wary of jumping into launch on this. The ONLY reason they are doing this is because the preorder numbers on the 3G were low and the stagnant Japanese sales have them very worried and now they are starting to throw stuff in to entice before the thing even launches.

This really cements my gut feeling to hold off on this, I feel something major in the way of a bundle or huge price drop at E3 on the Vita.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Two questions I'm trying to figure out:

1) Is the GPS feature only in the 3G model, or also the Wifi model?

2) If only in the 3G model, does it require an active AT&T subscription to work? This question is based on the theory that their "GPS" feature may simply be determining your location based on the 3G towers it is connecting to rather than the actual GPS satellites.

From the PR for the new bundle, it sounds like it may be a 3G-only feature:
"While the system is a fantastic option, the addition of 3G-network access is perfect for the gamer that wants convenience, community and connection – basically the ability to immediately socialize with your gaming community. 3G also allows you to engage in multi-player gaming, utilize GPS location-based digital gifting, stay up to date with continuous..."​
[/QUOTE]

Based on what you quoted, you should believe that multi-player gaming is 3G only as well so I would imagine the GPS is available for all models

[quote name='Kendro']Three years from now they will probably have a PS Vita Lite so either way I wouldn't let resale affect your decision. The original PSP wasn't in much demand once the Slim models hit.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, yeah that's a good point too. A wifi model with an 8GB card would be $280 whereas the 3G with an 8GB card is now $300. But a wifi model with a 32GB card would be $350.

Hmm... decisions... it's like trying to pick the right flavor ipad out of the 6+ choices; well, I guess except for the fact that you can actually change the memory card out on these.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Other than probably being obsolete pretty soon, are there any other negatives to the 3g version? I'm assuming there's a switch to turn it off so it doesn't eat away at the battery, but wouldn't that be the only downside? Like others have mentioned I was thinking of going with the 8GB card anyway so this seems like a good enough deal. Hopefully Best Buy will have this since I planned on using some credit I have saved up.[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering the same thing. I would really hope you can turn off 3G w/o turning off WiFi, especially since it would be stupid to have 3G enabled if you don't have a subscription. I'm guessing this can be enabled/disabled via software rather than a hardware switch (though there may be a hardware switch to turn off all wireless (WiFi and 3G), like in the PSP.

One other possible downside (however small) could be that the firmware on the 3G model is different than on the WiFi model, which might make the possibility of CFW less likely than if you had the more common WiFi model. My ideal would be to be able to play my UMD ISOs on my Vita since I've probably purchased over 50 UMD games (most of them used), but in the meantime I'll keep my PSP around. This probably doesn't affect most people, but it is something to keep in mind if you're into that sort of thing.

[quote name='caltab']I think anyone who pays for 3g will also get a free game. So if you get the first edition bundle and pay for 3g you get a game. I am not going to use the 3g so no free game for me.[/QUOTE]

Not you in particular but I see alot of people getting excited for this mystery "free game" they have yet to announce the list for and i'm hoping people aren't setting themselves up for disappointment. I see some people expecting a full on retail PS Vita and that is just not very likely, reel in the expectactions. It's more likely going to be a free PSN Mini game.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Based on what you quoted, you should believe that multi-player gaming is 3G only as well so I would imagine the GPS is available for all models[/QUOTE]

Maybe the key part is "utilize GPS location-based digital gifting"...not sure I've seen that referenced for the WiFi model.

I did find this info from GamerVita:
http://www.gamervita.com/about/

"Sony has also described a system of social/location-based interaction called “Near” allowing PS Vita users to find and connect with nearby players using the built in GPS, wifi and cellular radios. The geolocation functions are powered by Skyhook Wireless. All version of the Vita will have wifi, only the 3G models will have GPS, but Skyhook uses a vast database of wifi hotspots to reliably detect location without cellular triangulation of GPS."​

And from a Sony PR:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/news/sce1_G.pdf
- Wi-Fi location service support
I'd take this to mean that the WiFi model can get rough location info from WiFi location information but the 3G model can get location information from the mobile phone towers. But this is still unclear if it has an actual GPS satellite receiver.

So..."Location" is supported in both models, but "GPS" (based on satellites and/or cell towers) is only in the 3G model.

[quote name='ponn01']Not you in particular but I see alot of people getting excited for this mystery "free game" they have yet to announce the list for and i'm hoping people aren't setting themselves up for disappointment. I see some people expecting a full on retail PS Vita and that is just not very likely, reel in the expectactions. It's more likely going to be a free PSN Mini game.[/QUOTE]

I'm setting my expectations low so I won't be disappointed and I think a crappy Mini game is the most likely to be offered.

If it wasn't going to be a crappy game, then why wouldn't they promote that strongly to sell more units? Only reason I can think of is that if it was a decent Vita game being sold at launch, then letting people know they could get it for free with this bundle would reduce the number of these games that were sold at launch.

Just thinking out loud with regard to card size. I've been leaning toward an 8GB card only (as opposed to something bigger). As a PSP go owner I learned that downloading games only takes forever, rarely presents opportunities for true sale purchases and gives you nothing to trade. So with that experience in mind, I'm buying the games for the most part. So value-wise, I think upgrading the card size is a bad decision (based solely on my prior experience).

[quote name='Kendro']Three years from now they will probably have a PS Vita Lite so either way I wouldn't let resale affect your decision. The original PSP wasn't in much demand once the Slim models hit.[/QUOTE]

It kinda still was/is but for other reasons....well maybe not in demand but it wasn't made irrelevant like the regular ds.

Tempting, but will stick to First Edition.
I like the case enough to keep it. (surprisingly) Even though I plan on buying that high priced Japanese leather case too.

Apples to apples, it's about a $10 for the case if you were to equalize everything.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Hmm that does seem confusing. Hopefully the digital gifting is still available over wifi as it sounds interesting[/QUOTE]

I think the term "GPS" is often misused to describe anything that determines/estimates your location rather than the Global Positioning System, which uses synchronized satellites that transmit information that allows ground-based receivers to determine their location.

I'm mainly curious because if it has actual GPS support, that would allow the 3G vita to determine its location even if it is connected via WiFi via my phone's WiFi hotspot feature (which probably doesn't transmit useful location information to connected devices via the hotspot feature) since in the long-term I plan to use my phone's WiFi hotspot feature rather than paying a monthly fee to AT&T for a Vita-only data plan.

[quote name='fortunado']Hmm, yeah that's a good point too. A wifi model with an 8GB card would be $280 whereas the 3G with an 8GB card is now $300. But a wifi model with a 32GB card would be $350.

Hmm... decisions... it's like trying to pick the right flavor ipad out of the 6+ choices; well, I guess except for the fact that you can actually change the memory card out on these.[/QUOTE]

i know ipad 2 has 18 different sku

[quote name='ponn01']Not you in particular but I see alot of people getting excited for this mystery "free game" they have yet to announce the list for and i'm hoping people aren't setting themselves up for disappointment. I see some people expecting a full on retail PS Vita and that is just not very likely, reel in the expectactions. It's more likely going to be a free PSN Mini game.[/QUOTE]

I think it's going to be a 10 dollar game, like the new stardust.

[quote name='Sizu']Would be great if they add a wifi bundle.[/QUOTE]

The 3G version will get all sorts of deals because the profit margin is higher. It doesn't cost Sony $50 to add in the 3G part so they are going to offer better deal.

[quote name='caltab']I think it's going to be a 10 dollar game, like the new stardust.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what's holding me back vs. the WiFi edition - if it's only a $10 game, I don't find it a lot of value added. I don't give a rats ass for the free month of DataConnect, so that leaves me with a definite $29.99 value in the memory card (8GB should be fine for me) and 3G functionality I can't imagine I'll ever use.

Which brings me to resale value - and the 3G model will certainly sell for a few dollars more than the WiFi-only model in the aftermarket.

I suppose it's worth the extra $10 premium - and if not, it's probably a wash. Maybe I can sell off the DataConnect Pass for a couple bucks or trade it away for a few MS points. Hmm...

Think I'll just switch to the WiFi version for now and see if I'm still getting the Vita right away or waiting a few months. Jury is still out for me.

[quote name='bgame2']Just thinking out loud with regard to card size. I've been leaning toward an 8GB card only (as opposed to something bigger). As a PSP go owner I learned that downloading games only takes forever, rarely presents opportunities for true sale purchases and gives you nothing to trade. So with that experience in mind, I'm buying the games for the most part. So value-wise, I think upgrading the card size is a bad decision (based solely on my prior experience).[/QUOTE]

Downloading directly via WiFi on my PSP was abysmally slow, but all that meant was that I would download to my computer and then transfer to my PSP via MediaGo which was pretty fast. So the download speed (which should be much faster with Wireless N in the Vita bu should still support PC->Vita transfers also) shouldn't be a significant factor in determining the size of the card to buy.

For me, the convenience of having multiple games on my device w/o having to carry around cards and swap between them is a major factor. Plus, a larger card lets you do some extra things like play music and watch/record videos...something you might not do often, but at least you have the choice if you get a larger card.

Personally, I had a 32GB card on order since I knew I'd want it eventually to hold all of my PSN content, but now I'm thinking that I may cancel that and see how long I can get by with the 8GB card that comes with the new bundle.

[quote name='Kylearan']
Maybe I can sell off the DataConnect Pass for a couple bucks or trade it away for a few MS points. Hmm...[/QUOTE]

Highly unlikely since the only people that could use it would be those that bought a 3G Vita, but if they bought a 3G Vita then they already have the pass that came with theirs and I doubt they could use a second one on the same account for another free month of data service and another free game.

[quote name='desiguyinnc']gamestop also has this deal..[/QUOTE]

everyone does, its just how sony has decided to package it at launch

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Highly unlikely since the only people that could use it would be those that bought a 3G Vita, but if they bought a 3G Vita then they already have the pass that came with theirs and I doubt they could use a second one on the same account for another free month of data service and another free game.[/QUOTE]

Which makes me think WiFi-only is the way to go. With 4G coming down the line, and the limited 3G capabilities of the Vita, what's the point of 3G?

The only things making this deal palpable are the 8GB card and the PSN game, of which the options on the latter remain a mystery. Puts it within $10 of the WiFi version if you were (a) going to buy an 8GB memory card, and (b) going to pick up a (probably cheapie) PSN game.

Heck, these very same boxes may not totally sell out and go on discount or with credit-added in the coming months.

[quote name='plus1zero']My main draw of this game is being able to play NG Sigma on a portable.

*drools*[/QUOTE]

Usually I would agree as I buy any hardware at launch when a TeamNinja game (besides Xtreme Volleyball lol ) is involved. But, Sigma 1 is really an old game and it's a port of an even older game on the original Xbox. I for one will not be buying the same game for the 4th time that requires me to buy a new console/portable. They should have made a NG Dragon Sword 2, then I'm in. I'm just gonna play NG3 and DOA5 this year. Last year, I bought a 3DS just because of DOAD. Although it's mostly rehash, it warranted a new system purchase as it's the first portable online playable DOA game. Sigma 1 on PSV however, is just gonna be the same maybe with a couple gimmicky touch controls. I'll just keep playing NGBlack on Xbox or Sigma 1 on PS3.

I smell desperation in this. I was thinking about going to Taco Bell so I could enter the contest for the Vita but decided I didn't even care if I won one. This is too big to easily fit in my pocket with everything else. That means I have to carry the stupid thing around. Smartphones already have GPS, good web browsing (on the go), cheap games, work as MP3 players, play movies, etc.

The only reason I could possibly want this would be to play better handheld games but since I already have a smartphone I wouldn't even take it with me which means I'd only play it in my house. If I'm playing it in my house I might as well be playing a real console hooked up to my HDTV.

Another problem, this is priced too high (as previously mentioned by others). It's priced like a REAL console release. I just don't see it doing that well considering a person can buy an Xbox 360 or PS3 for this price (or less). The memory cards are outrageous (I don't understand how anyone can defend this proprietary high priced memory card). The games will almost certainly be very expensive (higher than the usual $30 handheld games). Smartphones come in UNDER this price when under contract (some older ones without a contract for this price!).

With the older gamers, the former bread and butter of the Sony handheld market, moving quickly to smartphones/tablets they're left fighting with Nintendo over a few of the hardcore gamers and a bunch of kids that don't have smartphones.

Also, for anyone thinking about buying this at launch, don't do it. I personally won't buy it at all but if you MUST have it, just wait for the inevitable price drop (I'm guessing it will be announced at E3). This platform is doing terribly in Japan, it had great release day sales (probably all pre-orders) then the sales fell off a cliff. I'd be concerned I'm buying into an aborted platform.

http://www.slashgear.com/ps-vita-sales-continue-free-fall-in-wait-for-new-games-25210762/

From the slashgear article:
Sony’s PlayStation Vita next-gen handheld gaming device is still struggling in Japan following a strong start that quickly fizzled. PS Vita sales dropped below 20,000 units two weeks ago, a more than 50% decline from the week before. And this past week, that number is on the verge of dipping below the 15,000 mark, as consumers continue to wait for more worthy game titles before making the investment.

Week 1: 324,859
Week 2: 72,479
Week 3: 42,648
Week 4: 42,915
Week 5: 18,361
Week 6: 15,219

[quote name='Blaster man']I smell desperation in this.[/QUOTE]
Most definitely. That's a good thing though since it forces Sony to act a more competitively. I ordered this $300 bundle. I paid a little more than that for the original PSP with a memory card back when it came out, and the Vita does a lot more.

[quote name='Blaster man']
Also, for anyone thinking about buying this at launch, don't do it. I personally won't buy it at all but if you MUST have it, just wait for the inevitable price drop (I'm guessing it will be announced at E3).[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing Sony will prefer to hold the line on pricing and prefer to bundle in extras, like they're doing now. I wouldn't be surprised if shortly after release a 4gb memory card becomes a standard pack-in (as it should be) along with a "free" downloadable game (like the current bundles).

[quote name='Blaster man']
This platform is doing terribly in Japan, it had great release day sales (probably all pre-orders) then the sales fell off a cliff. I'd be concerned I'm buying into an aborted platform.[/QUOTE]
The Vita doesn't need to be number one for it to be successful. PS3 had a rough start but it turned into a pretty nice (and reasonably successful) system. I'm sure Vita will be similar.

bread's done
Back