Banned
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071NH8B8/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_vg_lyfzzt

Includes:

PS Vita w/ Wifi + 3G
8GB Memory Card
Dataconnect session pass
1 Playstation Network game

Hello,

We'd like to provide an update for customers who have pre-ordered the "PlayStation Vita 3G/WiFi" handheld console. All customers who pre-order this item before its February 22, 2012 release date will be automatically upgraded to the "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" at no additional charge. The "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" will include an 8GB Memory Card, AT&T DataConnect Session Pass, and Free PlayStation Network Game. More details can be found in this item's product description section here: PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle

This upgrade will be extended to all existing "PlayStation Vita 3G/WiFi" pre-orders. Please note that due to limited quantities, we can't guarantee the availability of "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" after the pre-order window has ended.

We appreciate your business and hope you enjoy your new handheld console.

- Amazon Video Game Editors

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly Sony been though this with PSP. They know the demand is low around this time of the year and as long as the keep the stock at a reasonable level they are fine.

[quote name='NedHead']I'm guessing Sony will prefer to hold the line on pricing and prefer to bundle in extras, like they're doing now. I wouldn't be surprised if shortly after release a 4gb memory card becomes a standard pack-in (as it should be) along with a "free" downloadable game (like the current bundles).[/QUOTE]
Obviously they would prefer that because it allows them to make more money. I just think there will be a fast price drop like with the 3DS. I don't think they're going to see many sales after the pre-orders. I am willing to admit that I could be wrong but I just don't see it happening. A lot of people don't want to admit that the market has been disrupted by smartphones but it really has. The gaming on smartphones has been improving and will continue to improve.

[quote name='62t']Honestly Sony been though this with PSP. They know the demand is low around this time of the year and as long as the keep the stock at a reasonable level they are fine.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think the Vita will even do as well as the PSP. The marketshare looking for a hardcore gaming handheld is shrinking.

Damn everytime I tell myself I should wait something like this changes my mind. Also if I remember right Littlebigplanet was one of 3 free games you could choose if you got a 3g model and paid for a month of service anyways. Didn't AT&T already have that part of promo.

I really want to get a Vita within a week of its launch, in time for spring break. This is because my college is eight hours away from my home, so several times a year I have the pleasure of an eight hour bus ride, the next of which happens to be for spring break.

The memory cards are killing me, though. The pricing is just egregious- those things must cost peanuts to make, and yet the most spacious one is one hundred dollars? Come on, Sony. If a recent report is to be believed (and it probably is), Sony is profiting heftily on each Vita sold. And for a system where a major selling point is having a digital catalog of games (am I going to fumble with little game cards on a bus?? I DOUBT IT!!), I can't believe it's launching without a card packed-in (the Wi-fi version).

Also, we're less than a month away from launch, and many vital details are still being kept from us. Does this thing have a real, Garmin-style GPS (and does it require 3G), or does every official mention of one refer to the stupid "Near" feature? What choice of 'free game' will there be for 3G subscribers? How long will it take to receive? What is the pricing structure for downloadable games (Modnation is 29.99 on amazon, what is its PSN price)? Can TV shows and movies be downloaded to the Vita from the PSN store?

Come on, Sony. If you want a successful launch for your new 'hardcore' product, get your sh*t together and bring your consumers out of the dark.

Well, I think I'm done debating this with myself. After placing my order for the new 3G Vita bundle I then decided to cancel my order for the 32GB storage card. While I'm sure I'll probably want the max size storage card at some point, I should be able to get by for a while with the 8GB card and can instead spend that $99 on Vita games (hopefully when they go on sale for B2G1 or some deal like that).

I hope my bestbuy preorder for the 3g is going to automatically become this package like Amazon's did. This bundle is the only launch sku for the 3g version right (not counting the 'week early' bundle)? Kinda weird they didn't just drop the price on the week-early bundle and make THAT the only sku at launch instead... Now I still have to buy a case, and I'll prolly still eventually have to buy the 32GB card I was planning on getting at launch anyway.

Really looking at the GS bundle for 349.99, comes with games and hard case, and get it a week earlier, already have some credit, might trade an old PSP and get another $45 added to it to help bring down the cost.

I'm doing this instead of Wifi + 8GB memory card. I was going to buy Super Stardust Delta anyways, so if the free game happens to include an option for that, it's basically costing me $10 for 3G model + 1 free month of 3G. Pretty good deal.

So that means I'm spending $300 for the Vita bundle and $30 for Wipeout 2048 at Amazon for a total of $330. I have $337 in credit there, so I'll actually still have some left over.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Well, I think I'm done debating this with myself. After placing my order for the new 3G Vita bundle I then decided to cancel my order for the 32GB storage card. While I'm sure I'll probably want the max size storage card at some point, I should be able to get by for a while with the 8GB card and can instead spend that $99 on Vita games (hopefully when they go on sale for B2G1 or some deal like that).[/QUOTE]
Yep, that's your best bet. I'm sure they'll drop the memory card prices or introduce larger sizes at an equal price eventually. I'm also waiting for the (hopefully) post-launch deals. Hence why I'm getting Wipeout 2048 as my only retail purchase. Who knows, maybe Uncharted won't be such a rip off by then.

That the first edition bundle gets everything on top of what was already listed. It also gets the free game and the 30 day online pass that activates when you receive your vita. The only difference is the 4 gb compared to the 8gb in the Launch bundle. You still get a heck of a lot more in the first edition. Don't get why so many people are switching.

Also, according to Amazon's product information, it takes 30 days after activation of the 3G code in order for you to get the voucher for the 'free game'.

[quote name='HELLRAZR_28'] What is the pricing structure for downloadable games (Modnation is 29.99 on amazon, what is its PSN price)? Can TV shows and movies be downloaded to the Vita from the PSN store?

Come on, Sony. If you want a successful launch for your new 'hardcore' product, get your sh*t together and bring your consumers out of the dark.[/QUOTE]

To answer your question for the pricing structure for psn games that will also be a ful retail release you need to look no further than the full release ps3 games. They carry the same price as buying the game on disc, passing no savings to the consumer and you have nothing to share, trade or sell should you chose to do so.

I would hope shows and movies from psn can be downloaded to vita or they've really dropped the ball, even if the rental & purchase prices are stupidly expensive.

The last part is the problem I find with vita, the hardcore part but only bc of it's hardcore price! $250 for a handheld is just retarded imo no matter how great it may be. It cost as much as a console and I know the conses have dropped in price as will the vita but that's irrelevant when it is currently competing with them at the same price points.

Handhelds should be $150max with games averaging $20 and topping out at $30 imo. I plan to get a vita but I'll hold out for the inevitable price drop that will come sooner than later.

[quote name='wjda_krow2']That the first edition bundle gets everything on top of what was already listed. It also gets the free game and the 30 day online pass that activates when you receive your vita. The only difference is the 4 gb compared to the 8gb in the Launch bundle. You still get a heck of a lot more in the first edition. Don't get why so many people are switching.[/QUOTE]

...because its 50 dollars less?

[quote name='wjda_krow2']That the first edition bundle gets everything on top of what was already listed. It also gets the free game and the 30 day online pass that activates when you receive your vita. The only difference is the 4 gb compared to the 8gb in the Launch bundle. You still get a heck of a lot more in the first edition. Don't get why so many people are switching.[/QUOTE]

Huh? The FE Bundle makes no mention of the $55 'free' stuff.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Huh? The FE Bundle makes no mention of the $55 'free' stuff.[/QUOTE]

They added that extra content in to the deal today. See the link in the original post below.

[quote name='jacknicklson']FEB comes with the free month + free game

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/01/27/special-launch-day-ps-vita-3gwi-fi-bundle-announced/[/QUOTE]

I just wish they would include the 8GB card in the FEB. I'm sure for most that's really a crucial selling point of the two 3G bundles.

Maybe they will throw in another 4GB card to make the FEB the undisputed best bundle again?

This bundle totally destroys the First Edition Bundle.

Let's break it down.

First Edition Bundle ($350) Contents:

PS Vita 3g/Wi-Fi: $300
Hard Case: $20
4gb Memory Card: $20
Little Deviants: $30
Total Value:$370
Total Savings: $20

PS Vita 3g/Wi-Fi Bundle ($300) Contents:

PS Vita 3g/Wi-Fi: $300
8gb Memory Card: $30
Total Value: $330
Total Savings: $30

Add in a $20 case and a $30 game, and you're paying $350. That's the SAME price as the First Edition Bundle, and you get a memory card that is twice the size, and a game of choice that's actually worth playing.. and believe me, I've played all the mini-game archetypes in Little Deviants, and they're mostly awful, some mediocre at best.

Essentially Sony has rendered the First Edition Bundle irrelevant, unless getting the Vita a week early is worth a small memory card and lame tech demo in favor of twice the storage and a better game.

I think I am keep my First edition bundle that I have pre-ordered via amazon as I probably will be selling off the smaller card and going for a 32 Gb one anyhow. I think that the Exclusive case looks like the best one out there. Has anyone a nicer case for less than $20?

[quote name='finsfan0210']Damn everytime I tell myself I should wait something like this changes my mind. Also if I remember right Littlebigplanet was one of 3 free games you could choose if you got a 3g model and paid for a month of service anyways. Didn't AT&T already have that part of promo.[/QUOTE]

What promo is that you have seen offering Little Big Planet? Do you have a link or more details?

Thanks,
TJ

[quote name='brernurse']I think I am keep my First edition bundle that I have pre-ordered via amazon as I probably will be selling off the smaller card and going for a 32 Gb one anyhow. I think that the Exclusive case looks like the best one out there. Has anyone a nicer case for less than $20?[/QUOTE]

Importers on GameFAQs who claim to have the same case from a Japanese bundle say it's not as sturdy or quality as it seems when it comes to actually having it in your hands for use.

Seriously, the First Edition Bundle is such a bad deal, even if it is a decent case at best. The PS Vita Travel Pouch seems much safer, albeit a bit thicker, but I'd trust it with my Vita more than any others I've seen yet. It holds 4 game cards, too!

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-V..._8?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1327726879&sr=1-8

[quote name='Kitoro']Importers on GameFAQs who claim to have the same case from a Japanese bundle say it's not as sturdy or quality as it seems when it comes to actually having it in your hands for use.

Seriously, the First Edition Bundle is such a bad deal, even if it is a decent case at best. The PS Vita Travel Pouch seems much safer, albeit a bit thicker, but I'd trust it with my Vita more than any others I've seen yet. It holds 4 game cards, too!

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-V..._8?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1327726879&sr=1-8[/QUOTE]

That one does loo nice as well, I just wish I could see both in person prior to deciding, but I guess that is part of the thrill and price of being early adopters.

Early adopters always get the shaft, especially with Sony lately.

Either way, i stopped caring. I want my Vita, and i cant wait that extra week, so im sticking with my FEB unless they end up adding more stuff to the lower price bundles for some reason

If we are looking at a $10 free game ($55 - $30 memory card - $15 month of data), then the list might look like:

- Escape Plan
- Hustle Kings
- Super StarDust Delta
- Plants Vs. Zombies
- Tales Of Space: Mutant Blobs

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/22/playstation-vitas-25-game-north-american-launch-lineup-pricing/

I'm still hoping for some Amazon credits to be added to the system SKUs, games, and maybe even accessories. With Amazon's crazy deals last year, I was able to get a 3DS and 4 games at launch for $340. Under the current circumstances, the cheapest version of the system + the cheapest memory card + the game most people want (Uncharted) will be $320. So yeah, they really need to do something.

Way I'm looking at it is this: I'll save $20 getting the wifi Vita and a 8 GB memory card instead of 3G. Do I prefer 3G or getting Wipeout for $10 more. I prefer the game over the 3G so even with the new deal I'm not upgrading.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Early adopters always get the shaft, especially with Sony lately.

Either way, i stopped caring. I want my Vita, and i cant wait that extra week, so im sticking with my FEB unless they end up adding more stuff to the lower price bundles for some reason

[quote name='dgwillia006']I didnt mean right now, i meant down the line in a few months.[/QUOTE]

Are they being screwed if they know what's coming up?

[quote name='Kitoro']Importers on GameFAQs who claim to have the same case from a Japanese bundle say it's not as sturdy or quality as it seems when it comes to actually having it in your hands for use.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-V..._8?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1327726879&sr=1-8[/QUOTE]
The hard case in the FE bundle isn't sold anywhere else, including Japan.
It actually does seem nicer than I originally thought. Holds games and pocket for accessory as well.

[quote name='dallow']The hard case in the FE bundle isn't sold anywhere else, including Japan.
It actually does seem nicer than I originally thought. Holds games and pocket for accessory as well.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully someone will release a similar case by itself. I'd love to that the case, but I can skip everything else. So $100 for a case is a bit excessive.

I thought the FEB case was the best one too but of course I had zero interest in paying $100 more for the sake of it since I have zero interest in 3G and very little in Little Deviants plus I wanted the 32GB card. I ordered Hori's hard case/pouch from an import site for $9 with free shipping and it comes with a belt loop clip! :lol: Good enough... Amazon has Hori's other hard case up but unfortunately not the one I ordered, the one they have seems annoying from the video I've seen of it.

As for Sony's trying to "sweeten the pot" for the 3G model, I kinda sorta hope it back fires (not looking like it yet but it's early still) and this deal pisses off a lot of people who pre-ordered the WiFi model with zero interest in 3G and refuse to fall for the bait to just simply cancel their pre-order without "upgrading" and just either wait or not bother all together.. I'd like to see how Sony would react to that if overall pre-orders dropped sharply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tempting, but i would never use the 3g. Ill stick with my wifi order, and even then i might cancel before it comes out.

I have one on preorder (with Amazon) and keep going back and forth on whether to cancel.

It pisses me off that they still don't have compatibility with the PSX1 classics and certain other stuff from the Sony Store, which makes NO sense. My PSP library is mainly discs still, so the fact that the digital psp games can be played on Vita would not benefit me for some time.

The ONE factor that has given me some reason not to cancel the preorder is recognition that it was the early PSPs (still love my phat, even though I also ended up with a 2000 and a go) that were hackable/rootable/whatever you want to call it and it took a long time for later versions to get to the same place.

I was burned hard on the 3DS launch price. Though I like to purchase systems on day 1, I am still considering my pre-order for the Vita.

There's just no incentive to buy the 3G model. That package on amazon is pretty good, if you were already considering it. But why would I spend $50 more and then cough up another $15 a month for a crappy plan on a crappy network. The wifi model is going to be the system that most people buy, and it's already evident in Japan. Most of those price drops we hear about have been the 3G model. If Sony made it $299 plus FREE 3G service, then sign me up. There's no way in hell im going to pay $180 a year to have a 3G connection

I'm seeing a lot of comparisons between the FE bundle and the new launch bundle. I don't think both of them can be compared easily.

The FE bundle comes with just about everything someone needs if they are unsure about what games and accessories to buy. Instead they get a pre-chosen game, and the smallest memory card at 4GB, which is necessary to play any Vita games as we all know by now.

The launch bundle is for someone who wants the system, but already has games and accessories in mind to purchase. As an added bonus, an 8GB card is included for Vita games.

That's the main difference in my mind. Most gamers know which games they are buying on day 1, so they should know the memory needed for each game, or games, they want to buy based on the information already out there.

I'll use myself as an example...I want the Vita to play Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational, and MLB 12: The Show. Uncharted alone is going to use 3.6GB of memory, which immediately rules our the 4GB card, and FE bundle, for me. Since I also want the 3G option, the launch bundle makes the most sense for my situation. wants, and needs.

[quote name='capt autastic']There's just no incentive to buy the 3G model. That package on amazon is pretty good, if you were already considering it. But why would I spend $50 more and then cough up another $15 a month for a crappy plan on a crappy network. The wifi model is going to be the system that most people buy, and it's already evident in Japan. Most of those price drops we hear about have been the 3G model. If Sony made it $299 plus FREE 3G service, then sign me up. There's no way in hell im going to pay $180 a year to have a 3G connection[/QUOTE]

But you're not saving $50 if you buy the 3G model over the wifi model since it now includes an 8GB memory card. Remember, you need a memory card in order to play Vita games. You can buy a 4GB card, but that only saves you $30 over the 3G model. If you match the launch bundle with an 8GB card, then you're saving $20.

So, the difference between the wifi and the 3G models is now $20, which is probably what Sony wanted anyways. The 3G model didn't sell great in Japan probably because there was no incentive to buy it. With the NA launch, they changed that. I can't blame them for changing their strategy to increase sales.

I must be the only one not buying a game at launch. The game prices are insane and I can wait for a deal on them. I figure Little Deviants will suffice since it comes in the FEB bundle. Since I only played my 3DS for a few minutes since launch I probably won't play the Vita much for a while.

I had assumed that the Vita would be able to play PSN games but I guess I was wrong. That's a huge disappointment as my PSN backlog is getting out of hand. I guess it will just have to stay out of hand. Oh well.

[quote name='Xiemos']I was burned hard on the 3DS launch price. Though I like to purchase systems on day 1, I am still considering my pre-order for the Vita.[/QUOTE]

This! I am going to try and wait for a black friday bundle...

I'm still on the VITA fence as well. Not because of anything financial, but because I wonder when I will actually use it. I would buy it if they had full or even 50% remote play support right now or being able to play all PSN games. The only VITA game that would be a must buy for me is Uncharted. So, I would pay $350 to play uncharted and ps1 games (wifi vita, game, and memory card + tax). Also, not really interested in ps3 ports on vita since they should have remote play available.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']I'm still on the VITA fence as well. Not because of anything financial, but because I wonder when I will actually use it. I would buy it if they had full or even 50% remote play support right now or being able to play all PSN games. The only VITA game that would be a must buy for me is Uncharted. So, I would pay $350 to play uncharted and ps1 games (wifi vita, game, and memory card + tax). Also, not really interested in ps3 ports on vita since they should have remote play available.[/QUOTE]

I have these exact same feelings. I want the Vita so much (though honestly I barely have time to play my PSP or PS3) maybe just because its shiny and new. If I knew that I could play even simple PS3 games (Peggle, Puzzle Quest, Plants vs Zombies, Monkey Island, Back the the Future, Stacking, oooh Civilization Revolution!!!!!-that's a game I never could sit in front of the tv and play but would be great relaxing in bed) I would grab it on the spot.

Now, I've gone and made myself mad. I know that few, if any, of those will get the Remote Play Support and I KNOW that they'll want to double dip me for the Popcap games.

[quote name='AoA']I have these exact same feelings. I want the Vita so much (though honestly I barely have time to play my PSP or PS3) maybe just because its shiny and new. If I knew that I could play even simple PS3 games (Peggle, Puzzle Quest, Plants vs Zombies, Monkey Island, Back the the Future, Stacking, oooh Civilization Revolution!!!!!-that's a game I never could sit in front of the tv and play but would be great relaxing in bed) I would grab it on the spot.

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel and I thought I was the only one. For me though, the excitement of getting something brand new/shiny on a system launch day is a pleasant experience. But, lately I just haven't had enough enthusiasm to buy this on day one even with Amazon's package deal.

[quote name='Pck21']But you're not saving $50 if you buy the 3G model over the wifi model since it now includes an 8GB memory card. Remember, you need a memory card in order to play Vita games. You can buy a 4GB card, but that only saves you $30 over the 3G model. If you match the launch bundle with an 8GB card, then you're saving $20.

So, the difference between the wifi and the 3G models is now $20, which is probably what Sony wanted anyways. The 3G model didn't sell great in Japan probably because there was no incentive to buy it. With the NA launch, they changed that. I can't blame them for changing their strategy to increase sales.[/QUOTE]

Just be clear it is only some games that needs a memory card. For example if I am getting a Vita and only Marvel vs Capcom 3 I don't need a memory card at all.

Is it sad that in my current internal debate over whether I should get a 3ds or vita, I'm leaning towards the vita BECAUSE it doesn't have as many good games yet (thus saving me from having to buy more games)?

[quote name='62t']Just be clear it is only some games that needs a memory card. For example if I am getting a Vita and only Marvel vs Capcom 3 I don't need a memory card at all.[/QUOTE]

While this is true, wouldn't the memory card be needed for basic system functions like PSN access and firmware updates? Also, if a patch for MvC3 came out, it would be saved to the memory card, not the game card, right?

[quote name='HELLRAZR_28']While this is true, wouldn't the memory card be needed for basic system functions like PSN access and firmware updates? Also, if a patch for MvC3 came out, it would be saved to the memory card, not the game card, right?[/QUOTE]

PSN access would be RAM I'd imagine and firmware updates should save to flash memory like its always done.

I do remember them saying how some games could save to the cart and even be used for patches/dlc. But that all depends on the developer and the cart space I suppose.

[quote name='djricekcn']Just a FYI, Uncharted isn't 3.6gb big. it's 2.8gb.

Blazblue is the biggest game and that's around 3.2gb.[/QUOTE]

Wait, I don't understand. Why would anyone be worried about a 2.8gb game and running out of memory card space? Wouldn't the game saves be around a MB or something. Or is there a mandatory 2.8gb install needed?

[quote name='shiftymcneely']Wait, I don't understand. Why would anyone be worried about a 2.8gb game and running out of memory card space? Wouldn't the game saves be around a MB or something. Or is there a mandatory 2.8gb install needed?[/QUOTE]

If you want to download the game off PSN, you need to worry about these numbers. If you're buying retail, it's not an issue.

bread's done
Back